PDA

View Full Version : Injuries?

SS Laser
08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Does it seem like there are a bunch more injuries this year?

Oviedo
08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
The effect of no off season activities.

D Rock
08-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Lefty to the hospital immediately....that's certainly not a good sign.

Guess Dixon isn't getting traded.

SS Laser
08-27-2011, 10:13 PM

How or should I say why. Thses guys know what football is and how to be ready! Even Hampton came into camp in good shape for him. I know football causes injuries but dang camp and the preseason there seems to be a bunch more then normal.

Hope the Steelers can hang on this season! :tt1

insanesteelersfan
08-27-2011, 10:39 PM

I think the team has already promised Dennis they will try to trade him, and if they can't, they will release him. The Lefty Injury won't change that. Cause if they do hold on to him, but still make Batch the main back-up. You will see Dennis B!tch and complain like nothing we have ever seen before. I think Pittsburgh HAS to sign a Vet. And the ONLY one remaining is JP Losman.

D Rock
08-27-2011, 10:48 PM

I think the team has already promised Dennis they will try to trade him, and if they can't, they will release him. The Lefty Injury won't change that. Cause if they do hold on to him, but still make Batch the main back-up. You will see Dennis B!tch and complain like nothing we have ever seen before. I think Pittsburgh HAS to sign a Vet. And the ONLY one remaining is JP Losman.

Dixon will do what they tell him to do. End of story.

Complaining doesn't get you anywehre when you are a former 5th round draft pick who has never done anything particularly significant, and was by and large ignored while trying to test the market as a RFA.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-27-2011, 10:48 PM

I doubt they've promised Dixon a trade. If they have, they're a lot dumber than I think they are.

papillon
08-27-2011, 10:50 PM

How or should I say why. Thses guys know what football is and how to be ready! Even Hampton came into camp in good shape for him. I know football causes injuries but dang camp and the preseason there seems to be a bunch more then normal.

Hope the Steelers can hang on this season! :tt1

I don't think it's the OTAs and such as much as it is the reduced amount of hitting in practice. You have to hit to be ready to hit when the season opens. I don't think the players had enough live competition in practice to be ready for the hitting that goes on in an NFL football game.

Pappy

Jigawatts
08-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Pouncey and Lewis don't have significant injuries. Lefty has a broken lefty.

ramblinjim
08-27-2011, 11:17 PM
what was Keenan Lewis's injury? I'm not getting much Steeler news down here in DC tonight. It's all about Irene.

fordfixer
08-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Pouncey and Lewis don't have significant injuries. Lefty has a broken lefty.
Thanks for the update

pfelix73
08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Lewis hurt his knee. Probably will get an MRI.

:tt1

fordfixer
08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Slew of injuries temper Steelers' 34-16 win over Atlanta
Saturday, August 27, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11239/1170520-66.stm

Young Money cashed in for the Steelers Saturday night in a big way, but another injury to backup quarterback Byron Leftwich and a slew of others tempered their 34-16 victory over Atlanta at Heinz Field.

Antonio Brown, part of the Young Money receiving corps, caught two long touchdown passes from Ben Roethlisberger and set up a third by returning the opening kickoff 51 yards.

Leftwich was scheduled to become the No. 2 quarterback again this season. The seriousness of his left elbow injury was not immediately determined. He flung his helmet to the ground and screamed in pain as he walked of the field.

It was not the only injury of the night. Center Maurkice Pouncey left early with a left ankle injury and nose tackle Casey Hampton also departed with a right elbow injury. Cornerback Keenan Lewis left early with a knee injury. The Steelers did not immediately provide more injury details for any of them.

It was a night of big plays as well as injuries. Brown caught TD passes of 77 and 44 yards to go with his 51-yard punt return in the first half. Cornerback Crezdon Butler returned an interception 95 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11239/11 ... z1WI747Dus (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11239/1170520-66.stm#ixzz1WI747Dus)

flippy
08-27-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm guessing Lewis tears a patelar tendon. He landed directly on his knee cap. And when he was having extreme difficulty walking down steps going back to the lockerroom.

steelfin
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Injury predictions...

Pouncey - Will not play in the last preseason game but will be ready for the opener...At least I hope.

Lewis - Out a minimum of 4 -6 weeks

Hampton - Hopefully he will start opening day

Leftwich - Out for the season....

But what the hell do I know..... :-)

What I do know is they wont be trading Dixon and he can cry like a baby all season long if he is 3rd on the depth chart...He is lucky to have a job.

Let's just hope the injuries to Pouncey, Hampton and Lewis are not serious....Unfortunately for Leftwich he is probably done for the year.

fordfixer
08-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Pouncey, Lewis, Leftwich suffer injuries for Steelers
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 28, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 53885.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753885.html)

The Steelers suffered three injuries that could be significant during Saturday night's preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons at Heinz Field.

Center Maurkice Pouncey injured his left ankle midway through the first quarter. It appeared a teammate rolled into Pouncey's leg; he limped off the field and did not return. Pouncey injured the same ankle in last year's AFC Championship Game against the New York Jets. He was forced to miss Super Bowl XLV against Green Bay.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis injured his left knee while breaking up a pass in the end zone late in the quarter. Lewis, who started for the injured Ike Taylor at left cornerback, also didn't return. Second-year man Crezdon Butler replaced him.

Backup quarterback Byron Leftwich left the field holding his left wrist after scrambling for a 6-yard gain during the second series of the second half. Leftwich immediately went into the locker room and was followed by doctors, trainers and starter Ben Roethlisberger. He was replaced by Dennis Dixon.

A television broadcast said Leftwich swiftly was taken to a hospital.

No-huddle arrives

The Steelers dusted off their no-huddle offense for the first time this preseason and with some success.

The Steelers used the no-huddle on two drives, with one resulting in a 77-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown.

The first series of no-huddle wasn't as successful as the second. Roethlisberger went to the no-huddle seven times during the game's third series. He completed 3 of 5 passes for 20 yards, was sacked once and called one running play for a 1-yard gain.

In all, the Steelers went to the no-huddle with the first-team offense nine times. The results: 4 of 6 passing for 97 yards, a touchdown and a sack to go with two rushing plays for 5 yards.

McFadden sits again

Cornerback Bryant McFadden had hoped to see his first action of the preseason yesterday. Instead, he was inactive for the third straight game, still nursing a hamstring injury.

Also sitting out were cornerbacks Taylor, Niles Brinkley and Cortez Allen; running back Baron Batch; linebacker Mario Harvey; left tackle Jonathan Scott and receivers Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders.

Just for kicks

With the new kickoff rule moving the ball up 5 yards, the Steelers did not get an opportunity to return a kick in the first two preseason games.

Brown got a chance on the opening kick yesterday and ripped off a 51-yard return to midfield. A 15-yard personal foul penalty called on punter Matt Bosher for a horse-collar tackle put the Steelers in even better field position. Three plays later, Rashard Mendenhall scored from 1 yard out to give the Steelers a 7-0 lead.

Oh, snaps

The Steelers' entire first-team defense except for James Farrior played one series into the second half and was on the field for 60 snaps.

The first-team offense did not play in the second half, finishing at 25 snaps.

Read more: Pouncey, Lewis, Leftwich suffer injuries for Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WIEdBYjh (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753885.html#ixzz1WIEdBYjh)

Eddie Spaghetti
08-28-2011, 12:19 AM
jesus.

i don't even want to watch it tomorrow.

go see james mcmurtry if you can.

steelfin
08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Any update out of the Burgh on the injury front?

NC Steeler Fan
08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Cripes, watching the replay on Lefty it looked like he broke his forearm. And, unless I saw it wrong, I swear it looked like he had two elbows... :(

I think it's a hazard of how he plays though. He's a statue most of the time and doesn't scramble well, hence he doesn't know how to "go down" safely. When he went down he fell directly onto his out stretched arm. It looked like he was stiff-arming the ground to catch himself and his body weight, combined with the defender, just put to much pressure on the forearm.

I felt so bad for him as he tried to get off the field...he looked like he was in serious pain.

flippy
08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Cripes, watching the replay on Lefty it looked like he broke his forearm. And, unless I saw it wrong, I swear it looked like he had two elbows... :(

I think it's a hazard of how he plays though. He's a statue most of the time and doesn't scramble well, hence he doesn't know how to "go down" safely. When he went down he fell directly onto his out stretched arm. It looked like he was stiff-arming the ground to catch himself and his body weight, combined with the defender, just put to much pressure on the forearm.

I felt so bad for him as he tried to get off the field...he looked like he was in serious pain.

If it was a real game, I'm sure Pouncey could have carried him down the field and he woulda kept going.

Byron gets some fluky injuries, but given the amount of shots he's taken over his career, I'm surprised he hasn't had more injuries.

Hopefully he's ok.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Anything new on Pouncey?

fordfixer
08-30-2011, 12:39 AM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio ... 6117b54329 (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Maurkice-Pouncey---829/5c3cd478-d6d6-43a0-896f-d56117b54329)

fordfixer
08-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Steelers notes: Good news on injury front
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 56162.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-notes-good-news-on-injury-front/article_f36bfb1f-f6e5-53df-813e-db3a54a56162.html)

Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 8:16 pm | Updated: 11:38 pm, Mon Aug 29, 2011.

Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

PITTSBURGH - Even though several Steelers didn't practice Monday, there was actually encouraging news on the injury front.

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who left Saturday's preseason game after aggravating an ankle injury from last year, wasn't seriously hurt.

Pouncey probably won't play Thursday in the fourth and final exhibition. But he has no doubt he'll be ready for the Sept. 11 opener in Baltimore.

"The only way I'd miss that game is if I broke it again," said Pouncey, who missed Super Bowl XLV with a hairline fracture in his left ankle.

With Pouncey questionable at best for Thursday's game against Carolina, Trai Essex will likely start at center. Essex has played tackle and guard over the past six years, but is now listed as the backup center on this week's depth chart.

Pouncey was among the Steelers who missed practice Monday for various minor aches and pains. That list included quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, wide receiver Hines Ward, nose tackle Casey Hampton, strong safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker James Farrior.

Also sitting out was rookie linebacker Chris Carter, who pulled a hamstring in the win over the Falcons.

But back on the practice field were cornerbacks Bryant McFadden, a starter last year, and Cortez Allen, a rookie. Both have yet to play in any of the first three preseason games because of hamstring pulls. But both expect to play Thursday.

Also, cornerback Kennan Lewis practiced even though he left Saturday's game with a knee injury.

"Luckily my injury wasn't serious," Lewis said. "It was scary there for a minute. But I'm fine."

ITCHING FOR ACTION

Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders also declared himself ready to play his first preseason game. He's been sidelined since the first week of training camp with a stress fracture in his left foot.

Last year, Sanders was among a draft class that included fellow wideout Antonio Brown. They were drafted in the third and sixth rounds, respectively.

So far this preseason, Brown has been outstanding with team highs in catches (nine), receiving yards (230) and touchdowns (three).

"I want to play Thursday, but it's not because of how well Antonio is doing," Sanders said. "I know people are always comparing him and I because we came in together. I'm happy for my guy. But I just want to get out there because I'm a competitor.

"There's a lot of good football being played by our guys this preseason, and I want to be part of it."

LEGURSKY NEXT

The experiment at right guard continues Thursday.

As the Steelers try to find a replacement for Ramon Foster, who started at right guard for the second half of last season, it's Doug Legursky's turn.

Tony Hills, a seldom-used tackle the past three years, started at right guard against the Falcons. Now it's Legursky who gets once more chance to win the job. Legursky started the first preseason game at right guard.