PDA

View Full Version : The Poster Child

Discipline of Steel
08-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Boo to AP. They are participating with the NFL execs in demonizing the best defensive players in the league.

'Players notorious for hard hitting like James Harrison could be suspended for illegals hits this year. (AP photo)'

So now if you have a hard hitting reputation, you are notorious? Its one thing to have the NFL stance where it is but its sickening to see the media jump right on the bandwagon and cast the best defensive players in a bad light.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... legal-hits (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-26/nfl-says-its-serious-about-illegal-hits)

steelz09
08-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Those include expanding the definition of a defenseless receiver. Now, until that receiver has two feet on the ground and has a chance to protect himself or become a runner, he is considered defenseless and can't be hit in the head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder.

I mean really? Why doesn't the NFL just make a rule that says the defensive player cannot disrupt a WR from catching the ball. Also, the defensive player must allow the receiver to gain 5 yards after the catch before tackling.

:roll:

RuthlessBurgher
08-28-2011, 02:41 AM
I was shocked that Ryan Mundy wasn't penalized for his bone-jarring hit against the Falcons. Not that I think it was dirty (in fact, it was a solid, clean slobberknocker in my book), but I was surprised to see the refs let that slide after Goodell's new "emphasis"...I suppose 280 Park may still enforce some sort of fine after the fact, though.

papillon
08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I was shocked that Ryan Mundy wasn't penalized for his bone-jarring hit against the Falcons. Not that I think it was dirty (in fact, it was a solid, clean slobberknocker in my book), but I was surprised to see the refs let that slide after Goodell's new "emphasis"...I suppose 280 Park may still enforce some sort of fine after the fact, though.

He was defenseless and should have been penalized under the new rules. My guess is that the officiating crew will be told that it should have been a penalty, particularly, since the ball was well past the receiver. I'm stunned that it didn't fall under the defenseless receiver clause, he had absolutely no chance of protecting himself. I was happy it wasn't flagged; it will be the last time this year that it won't be a penalty, watch and see.

To me, that is exactly the play the NFL is trying to eliminate.

Pappy