PDA

View Full Version : Interesting coaching question

SS Laser
08-26-2011, 02:43 PM
So I read this: Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel visited the Steelers' facility Thursday and watched practice. Tressel was a guest of director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

Would he do it and can he be a good QB coach if coach Fichtner becomes the OC next year.
Then be next in line for the OC?

I can dream right?

flippy
08-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Maybe after his 5 game suspension.

I'm not a fan of college coaches coming to the pros. College is nothing like the pros. It's recruiting and golfing. Just buy better athletes than everyone else and you'll win.

I'm actually surprised more NFL coaches don't want to go coach the big programs. Get a decent wage and golf most of the time.

SS Laser
08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
LOL flip. There are some college coaches that do very well in the pro's. Plus he has a big black eye in the college ranks. Well even even get another HEAD coaching job for a college.
Or is his best bet the NFL and work his way up?

I know nothing of him other then he seems like a good coach. Thats why I asked here.

Snatch98
08-26-2011, 03:03 PM
At least I'm not the only one that thought the same. When I read that he was at practice I tried to breakdown what OSU players he'd be in to visit and then immediately thought about him as a coach. I'm not saying he'd be a good fit but did find it odd that he was in camp/practice. Anything is possible.

phillyesq
08-26-2011, 03:26 PM
So I read this: Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel visited the Steelers' facility Thursday and watched practice. Tressel was a guest of director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

Would he do it and can he be a good QB coach if coach Fichtner becomes the OC next year.
Then be next in line for the OC?

I can dream right?

If he had molded Pryor from an athlete in a quarterback, I could see the argument for making him a quarterback coach. But what has he done in molding quarterbacks that he'd be suggested as a qb coach? Under his watch, I can't think of one real Ohio State qb that made it in the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Shanahan came in to visit one of our practices a couple of years ago when he was unemployed. Working coaches never get an opportunity to check out how other coaches do things, so they might as well take advantage of something like this while they have the chance.

Slapstick
08-26-2011, 11:19 PM
If he was a guest of Colbert, perhaps it is more of a scouting/talent evaluation thing...Tressel can definitely recognize talent...