PDA

View Full Version : Irene - Coming your way?

Ghost
08-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to say I hope all of you who may be in her path over the next couple of days stays safe and weathers the storm without too much incident.

Steelgal
08-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Agreed! I've been watching the Weather Channel a lot the past few days because of their coverage. I hope everyone in Irene's path stays safe!!!

Oviedo
08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Missed us in Florida. Living through a number of these, don't underestimate what they can do. Our last big season in 2004 people lost power for weeks.

Here's a tip: Before the hurricane fill up all your bath tubs with water. That way if you lose power and water plants go down or you have flooding you have drinking water and water to flush toilets.

SteelBucks
08-26-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm under a Hurricane Warning here in Delaware. I'm leaving work shortly to get some supplies and hope for the best. We're expecting 8-12" of rain and around 80 mph winds Saturday night and Sunday. Wish I had a generator.....for the Steelers preseason game of course!

flippy
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Who knows where this thing's gonna hit? Most likely we'll get it in NC. But I heard someone saying this morning it could stay a little East and end up on a path toward NYC.

The weather gets weirder every year.

RuthlessBurgher
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm going to the Steelers game tomorrow because of the hurricane. I wasn't going to be using my tickets, because my wife had already planned a weekend for us to visit her sister on Long Island. Now that Irene put the kibosh on that trip, I get to take my daughter out to the Burgh for the first time (I've already taken my son several times, so it's her turn now). I'm going to have to bring the ol' laptop with me so I can do the PlanetSteelers fantasy draft on Sunday afternoon in Pittsburgh via WiFi (after I take her to the Children's Museum but before we go to dinner).

NC Steeler Fan
08-26-2011, 11:37 AM
I am 45 miles Southwest of Raleigh, NC and we are SO glad this thing shifted east
and we'll get minimal effects (we hope). But, we're sorry it didn't shift far enough
to miss the Outer Banks. Most of that island is like under 3-4 feet above sea level
so the projected storm surge sounds like it will just swamp the entire length of
the islands...Hwy 12 is probably going to be washed away... :(

Considering how many millions of people could be affected and with the state and
federal budgets already tapped out; the cost of cleaning up after this and all the
aid will be the last thing all of us need right now.

feltdizz
08-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Will it miss Bald Head Island? I have family in Southport, NC.

Stewie
08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
It's clouding over here in DC. Just came back from the store...a madhouse.

aggiebones
08-26-2011, 04:53 PM
I've paid no attention to it as things are normally built up for nothing, but I think I better get my eyes on things at home. I've got 7 people in my house this weekend and none of them look very tasty if things turn bad....

Dee Dub
08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Aquí en el sur de California nos no se verán afectados.

We're all good here. :wink: :Beer

grotonsteel
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I hope everyone in Irene's path stays safe.

Chavezz
08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Eastern nc. We're gonna get whacked. Not coastal though but we'll still get the flooding and high winds. Just hope it passes through fast and doesn't stall over us.

sentinel33
08-26-2011, 09:35 PM
I live 15 min. S of Baltimore. I'm expecting 40-60 mph winds and heavy rain/storms.
Gonna knock the power out for sure. probably throw some of the loose stuff about a bit.
I was at the Grocery store and I asked this guy comin out if there was anything left. Dude told me I should hurry. Made my way through the store, which had big dents in the shelves of every product they sold. And had absolutely no water.Got to the cash register with an armful of canned goods and some spaghetti I managed to grab along the way.
No lie-I got the last can of beef ravioli on the shelf. like it was waiting for me.
I asked the cashier how long it has been like this. She said since yesterday. I was there at 7:00pm tonight.

and it got me thinkin' about Ben's first start. At Miami. In the tailwind of a nasty hurricane. I think it was Hugo, but I'm probably wrong.
Ben made some pretty nice plays in a sloppy game. One in particular where he threw a TD to Hines in the front corner of the end zone. I believe that was for the win.

Be smart on this one and prepare a little. We all have Steelers games to watch.

steelz09
08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
We had a bit of rain and 40+ mph wind gusts here in Charleston, SC

fordfixer
08-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Be safe all

BackwoodsSteeler
08-27-2011, 04:09 PM
In Southern NE waitng. It's still supposed to be a cat 1 or, as I just heard, a cat 2 (if it gains the speed which is doubtful) when it gets to us around 2 a.m. Just praying the large trees around the house hold up.

Prayers to everyone in the path.

Steveo
08-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I live in the Hampton roads area of Virginia currently being hit (Chesapeake). Luckily for me I'm away on travel, and brought my wife and son so we are safe. Still have family riding it out. So far so good, hope everyone stays safe.