PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace

Gus
08-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Okay, I'm gonna bring it up.....the topic none of us want to address, but I imagine we've all been thinking it.

Can we possibly keep Mike Wallace beyond this year? Does the FO see him in black and gold in the future?

He's a RFA after this year. We can probably buy an extra year out of that or get some decent compensation. Does anyone know what we can get in compensation under the new CBA if he is picked up by someone else providing we give him the highest tender possible?

How many superstars can one team have and be under the cap? Also, we do have our up and coming guys Brown and Sanders (assuming his injuries are healed w/o ill effects).

We're also going to have to make a decision on whether to open the piggy bank for Mendenhall. I think we should keep Rashard. Many on this board seem to place him at 'just above average'. I've seen this kid just get better and better. I think he's a special talent.

I think Mike Wallace is too. But, we do have the rest of the young $ crew.

I would hate to see him go. I'm just having a hard time seeing how it's going to happen.

Blitz-en
08-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't post often, but this topic intrigues me. Why is it that we are all questioning whether or not Mike Wallace should be a priority to be resigned, yet nobody considers how much better and more potential he has than Ward? I love Ward, but Wallace is better right now, in year 3. Ward will not get any better from this point on. Wallace is more effective at this point, with room to get better. I don't want to see Hines just dropped off the team, but Wallace will likely be a solid to great WR in the NFL in 5 years, and Hines will be in broadcasting.

Unless Hines takes <$2M/year and we still cannot sign Wallace, I don't know why we would even consider not signing Wallace for the future.

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Wallace is under contract for 2011. He can be kept with the highest RFA tender (which is still very reasonable) in 2012. He could be kept around for 2013 as well with a franchise tag if necessary. Think about how many contracts will be off the books by then. Aaron Smith. Hines Ward. James Farrior. Casey Hampton. Ryan Clark. Chris Kemoeatu. Chris Hoke. Bryant McFadden. Larry Foote. Etc., etc. etc. By the time we have to pay him a king's ransom on a long term deal, plenty of money will have been freed up. No worries. Unless he morphs into a problem child like a few of our former top wideouts who now play for Coach Footie, he will be around. When is the last time this team was unable to keep a young talent they wanted to keep? None in the Colbert era that I can think of. We lost a few up-and-coming guys like Chad Brown and Hardy Nickerson once upon a time, but that was in the Donahoe era.

Steelhere10
08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
It is too much dead weight on the team for them not to sign Troy, Wallace and Mend. A Smith, Farrior , Bmac and also Ward would be let go before they let those guys walk imo.

birtikidis
08-25-2011, 09:11 PM
They'll slap the highest tender onto mike and work something out. Farrior will probably hang them up as will smitty. we'll have room.

Chadman
08-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Don't get me wrong- I like Mike Wallace...

but....

Other than being really fast, what other #1 WR qualities does he have? He can stretch a field better than most, absolutely, but he is not a complete WR.

To pay him as one is madness.

At least, at this stage, anyway.

Sure- look to re-sign him- but if they put silly numbers in front of him.....there's always going to be fast WR's every year...

NJ-STEELER
08-26-2011, 01:01 AM
As stated. There is going to be room with the expiring contracts. Plus, doesn't the cap go up next year as well?

LordVile
08-26-2011, 04:21 AM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11236/1169372-66.stm

While Polamalu would not talk about his contract, Wallace said he hopes to have such a productive season that it will prompt a big contract for him next year, no matter who offers it.

"This is the last year of my contract. I kind of want to play it out.

"I'm not worried about that right now. I'm just trying to get back to the Super Bowl."

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11236/116 ... z1W7Zqp64l (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11236/1169372-66.stm#ixzz1W7Zqp64l)

Hmmm , i don't wanna read too much into this. but i sure hope he don't pull no PRIMADONNA crap.. ala' NATE WASHINGTON.. :stirpot

Shawn
08-26-2011, 07:16 AM
I believe Wallace will put up 1400 yards 12-14 TDs this season. He improves yearly. Does he deserve #1 pay? Not yet. Locking him in for years at top 10 WR pay will prove to be a bargain. And I believe that's what he will get.

ramblinjim
08-26-2011, 08:15 AM
First off, as long as the new CBA is set up somewhat like the old CBA, he'll be a restricted free agent first, then franchisable the year after that. So we could theoretically rent the guy for a couple of years if necessary. He's an excellent young player, he's not Larry Fitzgerald yet.

Second, he's not saying anything that Ike Taylor didnt' say. Hopefully he'll see how Nate Washington took the money and hasn't won anything since....

There are only a couple of teams that are hyper-competitive year in and year out and if these guys want to win, that's where you need to be. To take a bunch of money to go play in Buffalo, Oakland, Detroit or Washington has to be all about getting paid and that's it.

steelblood
08-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Wallace is fantastic, but Mendenhall is more important to this team. They will both be UFAs after 2012. But, there is no reason to worry about it yet. They are both relatively cheap for this year and next. It is quite likely that one will have an injury concern by then. We will likely keep one (though it is possible that both stay). The Steelers front office knows that the choice may become easier by simply waiting and seeing how things unfold.

Oviedo
08-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Wallace is under contract for 2011. He can be kept with the highest RFA tender (which is still very reasonable) in 2012. He could be kept around for 2013 as well with a franchise tag if necessary. Think about how many contracts will be off the books by then. Aaron Smith. Hines Ward. James Farrior. Casey Hampton. Ryan Clark. Chris Kemoeatu. Chris Hoke. Bryant McFadden. Larry Foote. Etc., etc. etc. By the time we have to pay him a king's ransom on a long term deal, plenty of money will have been freed up. No worries. Unless he morphs into a problem child like a few of our former top wideouts who now play for Coach Footie, he will be around. When is the last time this team was unable to keep a young talent they wanted to keep? None in the Colbert era that I can think of. We lost a few up-and-coming guys like Chad Brown and Hardy Nickerson once upon a time, but that was in the Donahoe era.

Well stated. Everyone needs to realize that after this season we will start to see a significant "generational change" occur with the Steelers. The stawarts who led this team through the first decade of the 21st Century will have to move out and we will have to replace them with younger players. Just cutting loose Farrior, Smith, Hines, McFadden, Foote, Ryan Clark and Kemo will free up $15M+. That will be enough to retain both Troy and Wallace if they want to.

The key is that we have to have the pipeline filled with young players ready to step in. I think we are well prepared for that at WR, RB, DL, and LB. Maybe less prepared at TE, DB and OL. Those last three we can get help in the draft especially at OL and TE where young players can step in and contribute early. IMO DB remains the highest risk area not only because we seem to have issues identifying and drafting starter quality but also because they can't get on the field to learn early in their careers. Hopefully Brown and Allen break that cycle but not looking good for Allen right now.

IIRC there is an anticpated large increase projected in the salary cap in like 2013 or 2014 which falls in line with making good contract offers and keeping the guys they want.

ramblinjim
08-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Well stated Ovie.

steelblood
08-26-2011, 09:10 AM

Well stated. Everyone needs to realize that after this season we will start to see a significant "generational change" occur with the Steelers. The stawarts who led this team through the first decade of the 21st Century will have to move out and we will have to replace them with younger players. Just cutting loose Farrior, Smith, Hines, McFadden, Foote, Ryan Clark and Kemo will free up $15M+. That will be enough to retain both Troy and Wallace if they want to.

The key is that we have to have the pipeline filled with young players ready to step in. I think we are well prepared for that at WR, RB, DL, and LB. Maybe less prepared at TE, DB and OL. Those last three we can get help in the draft especially at OL and TE where young players can step in and contribute early. IMO DB remains the highest risk area not only because we seem to have issues identifying and drafting starter quality but also because they can't get on the field to learn early in their careers. Hopefully Brown and Allen break that cycle but not looking good for Allen right now.

IIRC there is an anticpated large increase projected in the salary cap in like 2013 or 2014 which falls in line with making good contract offers and keeping the guys they want.

That will free up more money. And, the salary cap should go up to pre-lockout levels (close to 130 mil) which will give us even more. However, guys like Harrison, Ben, and many others will make significantly more.

We will have leverage with Wallace next summer. He will be an RFA and his pay as such will be quite low. We can offer him guaranteed money to protect himself in the case of injury shortening his career in exchange for a reasonable contract.

flippy
08-26-2011, 09:24 AM
We will have leverage with Wallace next summer. He will be an RFA and his pay as such will be quite low. We can offer him guaranteed money to protect himself in the case of injury shortening his career in exchange for a reasonable contract.

Exactly. We'll be able to get a decent deal done.

And with all the other talent on this offense, Wallace may not get as many balls as many think he will.

A guy like Cotchery could really reduce the number of balls Wallace touches. Add in the potential emergence of Brown and Sanders, the team may really have some big leverage against Wallace next offseason.

Wallace's only real leverage would have been to holdout this offseason imho.

feltdizz
08-26-2011, 12:28 PM

Exactly. We'll be able to get a decent deal done.

And with all the other talent on this offense, Wallace may not get as many balls as many think he will.

A guy like Cotchery could really reduce the number of balls Wallace touches. Add in the potential emergence of Brown and Sanders, the team may really have some big leverage against Wallace next offseason.

Wallace's only real leverage would have been to holdout this offseason imho.

None of these guys can reach their potential unless Wallace is on the field.

StarSpangledSteeler
08-26-2011, 12:43 PM
In the new CBA the highest tender you can place on a RFA is a "1st round pick with first right of refusal". Meaning after the 2011 season, if another team really wants Wallace, they can offer him 12 million a year (which we would choose not to match) and give us their first round pick. In this scenario Wallace is GON-ZO.

And before anyone says "no team would offer such-and-such amount" remember that with the salary cap floor set to take effect in 2013, there will be about 4-5 teams with 30-40 million dollars worth of additional spending that they MUST burn on something. Why not get an elite player? Wallace, Mendy, and Troy are ALL in jeopardy of being lost if we don't lock them up early. That is the reality.

Having said that, it is impossible to field a team full of all-pro's. The salary cap will not allow that. You must pick your areas of priorities. Currently, it appears to me we have chosen: QB, DL, LB, SS and WR. And i don't have a problem with that.

Lastly, if some team overspends and gives us their first rounder, you KNOW Colbert is going to hit a home run with that pick (whether it be WR or some other position). So that gives us an elite draft pick at a low-ish 4 year salary, and extra money to fill in our voids via free agency. We're still in good shape either way.

frankthetank1
08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
mike wallace wont be going any where. the steelers dont let young talent get away unless they have someone as good or better that can take over. i doubt the steelers would have traded stonio if they didnt have wallace. they might not have given holmes another contract but not traded him away so quickly. chad brown is the only young talented player i can remember the steelers not re-signing and that was only because the steelers were stacked at LB as always

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Here are a few potential cap savings for next season. The savings are based on this year's salary as I don't have their '12 salary, but this serves well for a comparison to what would be saved.

Smith and his $6.1M cap hit will be gone, and his replacement is already in place - so no added big contract.

Farrior will only have one year left on his contract after this season and I think the dead money will be $1M but the savings will be around $3M. If Sylvester is his replacement then no big contract required to replace him.

Foote will have only one year left and is a backup to begin with. Dead cap hit of $600K and a savings of about $2.4M. No big salary required to replace a backup.

McFadden is very cheap to cut as his bonus was very small and his salary for this season is $2.5M.

Part of this season's hit is $2M from the release of Max - which would have affected us but is now gone away.

Arnaz Battle will be entering his last year next year and if he is still around this season will certainly be gone next - savings $1.363M.

And so on, and so on.......Not listed here are Hines and Hampton who would be expensive to cut due to cap hit. Hampton in particular would be a difficult cut because the only realistic replacement for him is currently 35.

phillyesq
08-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Wallace is fantastic, but Mendenhall is more important to this team. They will both be UFAs after 2012. But, there is no reason to worry about it yet. They are both relatively cheap for this year and next. It is quite likely that one will have an injury concern by then. We will likely keep one (though it is possible that both stay). The Steelers front office knows that the choice may become easier by simply waiting and seeing how things unfold.

If forced to choose, I'd take Wallace over Mendenhall in a heartbeat. If the Steelers ride Mendenhall hard this year and next, they'll easily get his best years. After he has run to the point where the wheels fall off, they can bring in somebody else. Running backs are very replaceable with the current makeup of the league.

The Steelers can give Wallace the highest tender this year and a Franchise tender after 2012. As the veterans on the team retire or return at reduced salaries, there will be room to sign Wallace and the rest, even with the big money going to Ben and the young linebackers.

Oviedo
08-26-2011, 04:15 PM

If forced to choose, I'd take Wallace over Mendenhall in a heartbeat. If the Steelers ride Mendenhall hard this year and next, they'll easily get his best years. After he has run to the point where the wheels fall off, they can bring in somebody else. Running backs are very replaceable with the current makeup of the league.

The Steelers can give Wallace the highest tender this year and a Franchise tender after 2012. As the veterans on the team retire or return at reduced salaries, there will be room to sign Wallace and the rest, even with the big money going to Ben and the young linebackers.

Mendy gets alot more touches in a game than Wallace does. I wouldn't be som quick to discount him and assume there would be an easy replacement. I always say that RBs are a dime a dozen, but GOOD RBs are not.

If I right now had to prioritize I would say that Wallace should be above Mendy, but we have alot more depth behind Wallace than we do at RB where Mendy is pretty much a one man show.

chiken
08-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Mendy gets alot more touches in a game than Wallace does. I wouldn't be som quick to discount him and assume there would be an easy replacement. I always say that RBs are a dime a dozen, but GOOD RBs are not.

If I right now had to prioritize I would say that Wallace should be above Mendy, but we have alot more depth behind Wallace than we do at RB where Mendy is pretty much a one man show.[/quote]

I don't know Ovie - I don't believe we have any depth behind Wallace. Brown and Sanders are awesome #2's - Crotch rocket is a number 3 - ward is an old man, the rest of our Receivers are special teams Fodder.. Wallace is a true Top lifter who creates a ton of Space underneath for Guys like Ward and Heath and allows for our number 2's to run with Single coverage..

Behind Mendy is Redman and to a lessor Extent Dwyer who might can excel with more touches

Dee Dub
08-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Cha-ching!

Because of this tender the Steelers can match any offer given Wallace by another team and if so choose not to, they will be granted a first round pick as compensation. Because of this, it is very unlikely that Mike Wallace will be leaving the Steelers after this year.

Dee Dub
08-26-2011, 05:35 PM

but....

Other than being really fast, what other #1 WR qualities does he have? He can stretch a field better than most, absolutely, but he is not a complete WR.

Sure- look to re-sign him- but if they put silly numbers in front of him.....there's always going to be fast WR's every year...

The typical instant gratification fan response.

Dude Mike Wallace has played all of 2 years. Can he have a minute to grow as a receiver?

What I like, and I am sure the Steelers feel the same, is that in Wallace’s two years in the league, he has improved dramatically each year. And if he continues on this pace he should and will be paid like the best receivers in the game.

I for one am willing to bet that his route running will continue to get better with each year.

Dee Dub
08-26-2011, 05:49 PM

but....

By the way...how many complete receivers in the NFL had 10 plus TD's and over 1200 yards receiving last year?

There were only 4 total......and Wallace was one of them.

Lets look at the other three.

Brandon Lloyd
Roddy white
Greg Jennings

Would you consider them complete receivers? Lloyd? Nope...he can't stretch the field. So I think that leaves Wallace in pretty elite territory.

flippy
08-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I could see it getting harder for Wallace if his routes don't get better. Now teams have tape on the guy and know he's a deep threat.

Although people knew Moss was 1 dimensional and still couldn't stop him.

chiken
08-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Speed kills man - either you got it or you dont..

DukieBoy
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
His deep threat is invaluable to the offense. Can't imagine they let him get away

BradshawsHairdresser
08-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Antonio Brown keeps playing the way he's been playing, and re-signing Wallace becomes a little less critical...

papillon
08-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Antonio Brown keeps playing the way he's been playing, and re-signing Wallace becomes a little less critical...

Mike Wallace needs to be able to show up game after game after game, he was not a factor tonight and didn't have to be. If you're going to be a #1 and get paid like it, you need to show up every game. When he does show up he's electrifying; it has to happen on a more consistent basis to be paid like a #1.

Pappy

Slapstick
08-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I think that the reason why Ben has had such success with the other receivers in the preseason is because so much attention has been paid to Wallace...

NorthCoast
08-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Wallace can't break tackles, he has to out-run his man. He hasn't shown ability to out-jump his man either. Wallace is a great decoy on the field, but is that really worth top five WR money?

papillon
08-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Wallace can't break tackles, he has to out-run his man. He hasn't shown ability to out-jump his man either. Wallace is a great decoy on the field, but is that really worth top five WR money?

Top 5 in the league? Not even close: Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Lloyd, DeSean Jackson, or Dwayne Bowe. I like Mike Wallace but he has a ways to go before he's top 5 in the NFL. He's probably top 15 and that's good, I'd rather have 2 or 3 guys that are good than 1 great WR and some so-so guys.

He was MIA last night, that can't happen to a top 5 receiver.

Pappy

feltdizz
08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Why does Wallace have to show up when Brown has a marvelous night? If Brown is torching his man it makes little sense to force it to Wallace. The only time we should have issues with Wallace is when the other guys can't beat their man and we need Wallace to step up.

When a WR has 4 catches for 137 and 2 TD's start the bus and get ready for the next opponent.

Shoe
08-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Top 5 in the league? Not even close: Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Lloyd, DeSean Jackson, or Dwayne Bowe. I like Mike Wallace but he has a ways to go before he's top 5 in the NFL. He's probably top 15 and that's good, I'd rather have 2 or 3 guys that are good than 1 great WR and some so-so guys.

He was MIA last night, that can't happen to a top 5 receiver.

Pappy

He may not be top 5, but I wouldn't really take any of the next 5 over him. Desean--I probably would. Santonio--I wouldn't (Considering our FO already dumped him for conceivably a good reason, BRANDON LLOYD (AFAIK, he is a shooting star type), Bowe is good, not great...

I think Wallace is overrated currently by Steeler fans. And if you want him to be your true #1, I think you're setting yourself up for a fall. But as I said, I like him in that 6-16 area of WRs in the NFL

papillon
08-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Why does Wallace have to show up when Brown has a marvelous night? If Brown is torching his man it makes little sense to force it to Wallace. The only time we should have issues with Wallace is when the other guys can't beat their man and we need Wallace to step up.

When a WR has 4 catches for 137 and 2 TD's start the bus and get ready for the next opponent.

Mike Wallace has 2 receptions for 9 yards in the pre-season. I know the pre-season is basically irrelevant, but I think the Steelers would like to see a little more production out of their #1 guy. The question was whether Mike Wallace is a top 5 WR and I don't believe he is that right now. When he starts getting open when Ben needs him most he'll begin to make that move into the next level and become a top 5.

He isn't there yet and by all accounts he is working to get there, so it's all good on the Mike Wallace front. He just needs to keep working.

He needs to expand his game and become Ben's security blanket to become a top 5 WR in the NFL, IMO.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
08-28-2011, 11:17 PM

Mike Wallace has 2 receptions for 9 yards in the pre-season. I know the pre-season is basically irrelevant, but I think the Steelers would like to see a little more production out of their #1 guy. The question was whether Mike Wallace is a top 5 WR and I don't believe he is that right now. When he starts getting open when Ben needs him most he'll begin to make that move into the next level and become a top 5.

He isn't there yet and by all accounts he is working to get there, so it's all good on the Mike Wallace front. He just needs to keep working.

He needs to expand his game and become Ben's security blanket to become a top 5 WR in the NFL, IMO.

Pappy

I agree.

Wallace is a One Trick Pony, but you gotta give him the fact that he has no peer when it comes to that one trick; beating his man deep.

AngryAsian
08-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I hope our corps becomes a lot like Green Bay's, where you have a top tier receiver like Jennings who puts up monster numbers... but is complemented by a buffet of other talented wideouts. Surely that is a problem worth having and such a luxury for Ben having so many options. I like what I'm seeing out of the play calling with our RBs being used in the passing game as well... even more options for Ben to get everyone involved and really stretch an opposing D. Look what Brady did to us in the regular season last year and what Rodgers did to us in the post season. This is a copy-cat league and I hope that Brucey really mixes things up by calling more of those short dump passes to people in the flat or in the slot. 4-7 yard gains, sustaining incredibly long drives, chewing up clock... only to open things up for Wallace when he blows by opposing DBs.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Top 5 in the league? Not even close:

Andre Johnson - 9th
Calvin Johnson - 5th
Roddy White - 7th
Santonio Holmes - 6th
Greg Jennings - 6th
Reggie Wayne - 11th
Larry Fitzgerald - 8th
Brandon Lloyd - 9th
DeSean Jackson - 4th
Dwayne Bowe - 5th

Mike Wallace - 3rd

Not top 5 today......fine.

But every player on your list has a lot of experience on him and few WRs rarely step into the league and hit top five their rookie year. Maybe the only one off the top of my head was Moss who was an instant beast. The only receiver on the list close to his experience is Jackson, and then Bowe and Calvin Johnson are two years ahead. Of those three, only Johnson rates as a significantly better receiver at this point.

Wallace has improved markedly each of his first two seasons. His upwards curve is ridiculous. There is no reason to believe that he has topped out already and will not hit that "top 5" ranking.

Chadman
08-29-2011, 12:10 AM
When I look at the Steelers WR's, I'm not sure there IS a #1 WR...

and this isn't a 'bad' thing.

You see- they all play such similar roles, they are all so good at what they do, that you can interchange them with little, or no, drop-off.

I think the Steelers WR's are in many ways, like the Colts WR's, or even the Pats WR's- they ALL contribute.

On any given play, you could make a case for any Steeler WR to be the #1- even Jericho Cotchery has the ability to be the Steelers #1 WR in the right situation.

I wouldn't 'overpay' Wallace. I'd love to keep him at a good price- even a little over what he's worth, to a degree- but there will always be 'fast' WR's- the Steelers could find another if they had to.

In the end- BEN makes this group good. All they need to do is run the right route, and catch. They do that- Ben makes them look like stars.

And that ISN'T me saying they are not good- they are- but they wouldn't be 'Top 5' anything if Lefty/Batch/Dixon was our QB.

flippy
08-29-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm with Chadman. Ben makes these WRs.

Ben's ability to hold the ball forever and make plays downfield is gonna make all these WRs better than they actually are. And Wallace benefits as much as any of these guys.

Brown put up Wallace like numbers in the 1st half last game. I'm sure we'll see similar numbers from Sanders when he's back and healthy.

And that's why we won't have to overpay Wallace.

For all we know, Brown and Sanders both could be better WRs than Wallace in a couple years.

papillon
08-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I was trying to keep the topic on Mike Wallace's skill as a WR and not bring Ben into the equation. LIke Brady, Brees, Manning and Rogers it doesn't matter who is catching the ball Ben will find that player if he's open or buy a WR time to get open. Either way I too believe Ben is making the WRs look better than their skill level at this point.

Once they all develop into complete (or more complete) NFL receivers the offense will be scary and probably more consistent.

Pappy

Oviedo
08-29-2011, 03:20 PM

You see- they all play such similar roles, they are all so good at what they do, that you can interchange them with little, or no, drop-off.

I think the Steelers WR's are in many ways, like the Colts WR's, or even the Pats WR's- they ALL contribute.

On any given play, you could make a case for any Steeler WR to be the #1- even Jericho Cotchery has the ability to be the Steelers #1 WR in the right situation.

I wouldn't 'overpay' Wallace. I'd love to keep him at a good price- even a little over what he's worth, to a degree- but there will always be 'fast' WR's- the Steelers could find another if they had to.

In the end- BEN makes this group good. All they need to do is run the right route, and catch. They do that- Ben makes them look like stars.

And that ISN'T me saying they are not good- they are- but they wouldn't be 'Top 5' anything if Lefty/Batch/Dixon was our QB.

:Agree If you had to say one is #1 then it is probably still Hines because he is the first guy Ben looks for. That means in crunch time the ball is going to him. IMO that is the definition of a #1.

ikestops85
08-29-2011, 04:33 PM

:Agree If you had to say one is #1 then it is probably still Hines because he is the first guy Ben looks for. That means in crunch time the ball is going to him. IMO that is the definition of a #1.

Really? Hines is still the first guy Ben looks for? I must have missed that in the last game that the Steelers played. :wink:

NorthCoast
08-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I dunno. Watching a team like the Saints where every one of the WRs is a beast off the line, I gotta believe Ben would covet one. Our guys are shrimps and have trouble freeing themselves up when jammed. Face it, Ben won't have all day every game to wait on a downfield throw. Now Heath has played much and he can be that beast, but it would sure help that a WR could fill that role as well.
Yes, you can't teach speed,...but you also can't teach beastliness...

steelz09
08-29-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree that Wallace is not a top 10 WR. He is close but I don't think he's top 10.

I like this topic because there are so many "talking points"

1) He's purely a deep threat by virtue of speed. At the current moment (notice the word current), he is a one trick poney. But his speed is incredible. One of the fastest players in the league. You just can't teach that and teams MUST respect that speed. There is no doubt Wallace's speed has created opportunities for Brown and Wallace.

2) I'll compare Holmes to Wallace. Wallace appears to have the better character (obviously). Wallace is faster. Holmes is a better all-around WR.

3) If Ben under throws Wallace, he rarely comes back to the ball and catches it at the "highest point". He waits for ball to come to him. Fitzgerald, Moss, Andrae Johnson, Calvin Johnson, etc are in a league of their own. You can have perfect coverage on those guys, and they can still beat you.

4) Unless Wallace absolutely tears things up this year, he shouldn't make or expect to make top 5 money.

5) If I had the choice, I would choose Wallace over Mendenhall. You want reasons? RBs have a shorter "prime" career. RB's can be replaced easier. It's a passing league. You have a QB in his prime, keep his weapons. Hines Ward is nearing retirement. You need WR depth especially when you go 4-5 wide.

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Steelers invest in flashy receivers

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 30, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-29/0830stwrs-a.jpg
'Money' group

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-30/FBNwallace-a.jpg

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has caught only two passes for nine yards in three preseason games this month.

One hasn't suited up for any of the Steelers' preseason games. Another has played in all of them but has barely registered a blip -- at least in the box scores.

The third member of the Steelers' "Money" receiving trio, meanwhile, has snagged the spotlight as easily as he has touchdown passes over the past month.

Not to worry, Emmanuel Sanders and Mike Wallace said Monday. They plan on joining Antonio Brown soon enough.

Sanders practiced yesterday, and he is on track to play in the Steelers' final preseason game Thursday night at Carolina.

Sanders, also known as "Young Money," has been sidelined or limited since the early part of training camp with a stress fracture in his left foot -- one that has been slow to heal.

Brown, Sanders' draft classmate and close friend, has emerged as the frontrunner for the No. 3 wide receiver spot behind Hines Ward and Wallace.

"I'm happy for my guy," Sanders said. "I'm in competition with myself and that's not showing up on the mental error sheet, catching every ball and making plays."

When asked if the gaggle of plays Brown has made has raised the bar for him, Sanders smiled.

"The bar has already been set by Mike Wallace," Sanders said. "He had a Pro Bowl year and that is the bar, Pro Bowls and Super Bowls around here."

Wallace, aka "Fast Money," indeed had a Pro Bowl-caliber season in 2010, ranking second in the NFL in yards per catch (21.0) while hauling in 1,257 yards worth of passes -- seventh most on the Steelers' all-time single-season list.

He has said numerous times that his goal is to eclipse 2,000 receiving yards in 2011, which would represent a first in NFL history.

But that has been the most noise Wallace has made since late July.

He has caught just two passes for 9 yards during the preseason, and his most memorable play has been a near-miss on a Ben Roethlisberger deep ball in an Aug. 12 game at Washington.

The lack of production can be attributed to a number of things, from decreased playing time for starters to the reality that the games don't count.

"I haven't made too many plays this preseason but I've been assignment-sound and I've been everywhere I need to be, so those things count, too," Wallace said. "I feel like when the regular season comes I'll get my plays, too, and I'm going to make the most of them when I get the ball."

Brown has made the most of the opportunities Sanders' injury and his relatively low profile have afforded him. The play of Brown -- his nickname is "All About Money" -- and the signing of Jerricho Cotchery have raised questions as to whether there will be enough balls to go around once the regular season starts.

That is especially true because the Steelers have a workhorse running back (Rashard Mendenhall), an underrated tight end (Heath Miller) and a desire to run the ball as much as they throw it.

"There's plenty of food out there on the table," Sanders said. "We've just all got to stay humble play within ourselves. It's going to be a track meet, how things are looking."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXSHt4aG (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754088.html#ixzz1WXSHt4aG)