PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Emmanuel Sanders is optimistic about opener

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Steelers' Sanders is optimistic about opener

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 25, 2011

http://e-sanders.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/normal_tc3.png

Emmanuel Sanders was on the field on a limited basis Wednesday for the second consecutive day but won't play against Atlanta on Saturday and likely will miss the preseason finale in Carolina.

Still, the Steelers receiver said his injured left foot will be ready enough for the season opener at Baltimore.

"I'm feeling good, really good, actually," Sanders said. "I practiced, doing some individual work, and it felt pretty good out there.''

Sanders broke his right foot in Super Bowl XLV and learned in April he had a stress fracture in his left foot that required minor surgery three weeks ago.

"The X-rays show that everything is healing as expected, and I'm right on schedule for me to play in that first game," Sanders said. "I'll just continue to do a little bit more every day and keep picking up the pace of my workouts, and we'll see where I'm at in another two weeks."

Sanders has been running without pain and hopes to take part in team drills next week.

>> Cornerback Bryant McFadden hopes to play Saturday after sitting out the first two preseason games with a hamstring injury.

"I'm planning on it," McFadden said. "I am not quite a 100 percent to date, but I still have a few more days before the game. I feel like I am making a lot of progress."

McFadden practiced Wednesday without a setback.

>> The preseason schedule couldn't have set up better for the Steelers defense, safety Ryan Clark said.

With the starters seeing the most game time in the second and third games, Clark believes it will be beneficial going against two of the best teams in the NFC in Philadelphia last week and Atlanta with quarterback Matt Ryan and receiver Roddy White this week.

"We are talking about two teams that will definitely be in the hunt when it comes to the NFC playoffs," Clark said. "They are two very good offensive football teams."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1W0n0IRnC (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753278.html#ixzz1W0n0IRnC)

Jooser
08-25-2011, 03:57 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/m34d1cc110000_1_29039.jpg

steelfin
08-25-2011, 06:19 AM
It will be good to have him back but I wonder what lingering effects he will have from injuries to both of his feet....

IMO, Sanders will lose the #3 spot to Brown this year. Brown is more explosive of a player that is getting lots of practice time.

In any case, heres to hoping Sanders comes back completely healed and ready to play!!!

SF

Shawn
08-25-2011, 07:28 AM
We will miss Sanders...as I can't imagine his explosive speed being there this season. These kinds of injuries take time. The good news is we went out and grabbed Cotchery. I think Wallace, Ward, Brown and Cotchery are a fine group of WRs.

Oviedo
08-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I want them to sit Sanders as long as possible. With Brown and Cotchery we have the luxury to wait and to make sure he is really 100% healed and ready to go. I'd have zero problem with him missing a few games.

phillyesq
08-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I want them to sit Sanders as long as possible. With Brown and Cotchery we have the luxury to wait and to make sure he is really 100% healed and ready to go. I'd have zero problem with him missing a few games.

:Agree

I'd gladly take fewer games with a full speed Sanders later in the season over an entire season with Sanders at less than 100%.

Cothery is a reliable chain mover and will be an asset in passing situations. With Ward, Cothcery, Wallace and Brown, there is a nice balance of explosiveness and reliability with the receivers. A full-strength Sanders will provide a nice option if the Steelers go 5 wide, but no need to rush him back.

flippy
08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Interesting that Ben has said Sanders has really improved from last year to this year when speaking about Sanders and Brown.

pittpete
08-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I think Wallace, Ward, Brown and Cotchery are a fine group of WRs.

Id definitely agree with both these statements... :Agree