PDA

View Full Version : Starks, Dwyer, Essex

BradshawsHairdresser
08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
All of them entered training camp season fat and out of shape. I don't understand...when you have an opportunity to play the greatest game, for the greatest franchise in pro sports, and make big money doing so, why on earth would you let yourself go in that way? To have such little motivation doesn't seem to say much for their level of commitment.

If I'm being too intolerant with these players, tell me why.

birtikidis
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
All of them entered training camp season fat and out of shape. I don't understand...when you have an opportunity to play the greatest game, for the greatest franchise in pro sports, and make big money doing so, why on earth would you let yourself go in that way? To have such little motivation doesn't seem to say much for their level of commitment.

I can understand Starks' situation, coming off of neck surgery. He probably ate the same way he did prior to the surgery and just had a hard time getting it off. Dwyer and Essex have no excuse whatsoever.

sentinel33
08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Piss poor work ethic.

Sad.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-24-2011, 01:01 PM

I can understand Starks' situation, coming off of neck surgery. He probably ate the same way he did prior to the surgery and just had a hard time getting it off. Dwyer and Essex have no excuse whatsoever.

I agree birt. I have seen many hockey players over the years put on a ton of weight after retirement. I've heard some say that the problem is that they continue to eat the same way as they did as athletes, but without the same workout regimen to keep the pounds off.

steelnavy
08-24-2011, 09:26 PM

Balogney. None of them gets a bye in my book. Like stated above, if you can't find the motivation to keep yourself in shape to be a part of the greatest game, make a disgusting amount of money for playing the game, the fame, the once in a lifetime chance, the cameraderie, etc, then get the heck off the field.

Is Starks 12? He can't make adult decisions to NOT eat like a pig when he is sitting around all day post surgery?!? For all of that gold at the end of the rainbow? Balogney on all of them.

birtikidis
08-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Do you have any idea what it's like going from a 5,000 calorie diet to a restricted diet of 2,000 calories? to going from extreme levels of exercise to nearly being immobile? I know when I had my back surgery I put on 30 pounds in a matter of weeks and I could barely keep food down from taking oxycodone (makes me sick as hell and messes my world up). I was eating MAYBE twice a day.

jj28west
08-25-2011, 05:00 AM
I have trouble understanding this also. I read Dwyer is on meds so maybe there is some connection?
I have friends that go to work and clock in, do their job, and live for the weekend and a sixpack. I am not saying this is wrong but its just not my cup of tea.
I am sure there are plenty of us here who treat their job as more then a paycheck and constantly pushes oneself to excell and take on any challenge that comes their way @ 110% effort.
If I only had 10% of the talent that even these guys had it would be plenty enough drive and inner motivation.
Look at Jerry Rice. Did he kill it at the combine? Guy stayed elite & hungry every year after MVP, Super Bowls , etc

Ghost
08-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Of the three, Dwyer is the one that puzzles me the most. This came up in another thread and I stated it boggled my mind that a RB, who's entire job is based on being able to move quickly, both laterally and straight ahead would allow himself to come into camp so far out of shape he couldn't complete the conditioning drills. The epitome of lazy.

I mean, this is a guy who was a marginal player at best last year and barely made the roster. He approached the off season as if he was a lock to make the team. Did he not see that they had drafted another RB. Someone needs to let him know he's not the star of the highschool team anymore. No one is kissing the back side of a fat, slow running back. I was very saddened by Batch going down. That kid had heart and understood what a gift this opportunity was.

Oviedo
08-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Of the three, Dwyer is the one that puzzles me the most. This came up in another thread and I stated it boggled my mind that a RB, who's entire job is based on being able to move quickly, both laterally and straight ahead would allow himself to come into camp so far out of shape he couldn't complete the conditioning drills. The epitome of lazy.

I mean, this is a guy who was a marginal player at best last year and barely made the roster. He approached the off season as if he was a lock to make the team. Did he not see that they had drafted another RB. Someone needs to let him know he's not the star of the highschool team anymore. No one is kissing the back side of a fat, slow running back. I was very saddened by Batch going down. That kid had heart and understood what a gift this opportunity was.

There is no excuse for his lack of professionalism but it does demonstrate that some players need alot more structure and direction in the off season than others. The lack of OTAs and oversight hurts guys like Dwyer. Maybe this was a wake up call for him.