PDA

View Full Version : Why mess with a good thing?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-24-2011, 12:00 PM
That is my question to Mr. Goodell.

Moving the ball to the 35 for kickoffs which elliminates kickoffs...which to me are a big part and an exciting part of football. ITS FOOTBALL--There are going to be injuries!

Reviewing every touchdown...now we have to wait to kick the extra point on even the obvious of touchdowns.

Not being able to hit hard...Face it if we hit a guy and it looks violent, although legal, a penalty will insue.

Pushing for 18 games...I would love more football but not at the cost of losing more to the injured reserve list. I am with the players on this. 16 is a long grueling season!

The Hines Ward rule...on kickoffs. Although that was a legal hit, we will no longer see great blocks like that anylonger because the NFL has now become a bunch of sissy's like its commish.

I blame all of these rules on Goodell. I wish someone would hold him responsible. How do we get rid of this guy? He is ruining football as I know it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
You think that this change was bad, wait until the next one.

Overtime will be decided by one player on each team playing the other in Madden. The commish says that this will increase player safety.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Uh oh...I hope our designated OT Madden player isn't Ike Taylor. While a broken thumb likely won't impact his ability to catch a football (since that cannot possibly get worse), that injury could impact his abilities with a video game controller in his hands. :wink:

birtikidis
08-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Uh oh...I hope our designated OT Madden player isn't Ike Taylor. While a broken thumb likely won't impact his ability to catch a football (since that cannot possibly get worse), that injury could impact his abilities with a video game controller in his hands. :wink:
Maybe we should bring back Sweed, he's had plenty of time to play Madden

Northern_Blitz
08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
You think that this change was bad, wait until the next one.

Overtime will be decided by one player on each team playing the other in Madden. The commish says that this will increase player safety.

League also mandates that quarter length is set to maximum to ensure the maximum number of commercials in the game.

Djfan
08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
In all honesty, the changing of the AFCC and NFCC trophies was really lame, too. All that tradition out the door for this idiot.

I can't stand what he is doing to the NFL.

sentinel33
08-24-2011, 02:21 PM
couldnt agree more dj. I never even heard that they were changing the trophies. when I saw it raised, I thought it was some new Player award. When reality struck, I was in disbelief. feeling exactly like you,and many others, felt. and still/will feel.

I stand behind Harrison and the team.

steelblood
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
I can't wait for

Commercials
Touchback
Commercials

5 times a game.

Oviedo
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Moving the ball to the 35 for kickoffs which elliminates kickoffs...which to me are a big part and an exciting part of football. ITS FOOTBALL--There are going to be injuries!

Reviewing every touchdown...now we have to wait to kick the extra point on even the obvious of touchdowns.

Not being able to hit hard...Face it if we hit a guy and it looks violent, although legal, a penalty will insue.

Pushing for 18 games...I would love more football but not at the cost of losing more to the injured reserve list. I am with the players on this. 16 is a long grueling season!

The Hines Ward rule...on kickoffs. Although that was a legal hit, we will no longer see great blocks like that anylonger because the NFL has now become a bunch of sissy's like its commish.

I blame all of these rules on Goodell. I wish someone would hold him responsible. How do we get rid of this guy? He is ruining football as I know it.

It's all about injuries, especially the evolving information on concussions and the long term effects. I don't like him, but Goodell is being responsible by doing whatever he can do to limit situations in games that could lead to these types of injuries. He is trying to be proactive by taking measures that will be part of the NFL's defense in the sure to come litigation on health effects of playing football.

As much as the NFL can say they introduced rules against this and that, it all becomes part of their defense.

The reality is that Goodell and anything he does will not destroy the NFL. Former players suing for health related issues will kill the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
I can't wait for

Commercials
Touchback
Commercials

5 times a game.

C'mon now...

You know it will be more like:

Touchdown
Commercials (remember, they are now reviewing every scoring play)
Extra Point
Commercials
Touchback
Commercials

DukieBoy
08-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Goodell's truer calling could be as diector of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. He reduces the 30,000+ fatalities per year and 100,000 or whatever serious injuries per year in traffic accidents, fines bad drivers exhorbitant amounts of money thereby reducing the national debt, and he's out of the NFL. From some point of view, it could look like a win-win.

BURGH86STEEL
08-24-2011, 06:54 PM

The ownership is responsible for many of the rule changes. They voted to move the kick off back to the 35.

The US government is mostly responsible for the safety rules that are being implemented.
The government questioned the league about their safety initiatives related to head injuries.

birtikidis
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
IF the league wants 18 games, I fully support a League supported minor system in the US. Not this over seas crap.

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Even kickers think the NFL is getting soft

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 25, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/davidbuehler.jpg?w=250

Complaints from NFL players that the league is trying to take the toughness out of football have been widespread over the last year. But most of those complaints have come from defensive players who were responding to drawing penalty flags or getting their paychecks docked.

Now we have a player who rarely hits anyone making a complaint about the direction NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is taking the league in: Cowboys kicker David Buehler.

“I think they’re changing the rules too much,” Buehler said on the Ben and Skin Show, via ESPN.com. “Football is getting kind of soft with Goodell making all the rule changes and everything like that. Just leave it the way it is.”

Most of the recent rules changes designed to protect players — banning launching at opponents, protecting quarterbacks and defenseless receivers — don’t affect kickers. But one change that has a major affect on Buehler is the decision to move kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35. Buehler isn’t happy about that one.

“Kickoffs are one of the most exciting plays in football, so I don’t know why they pushed it up to the 35,” Buehler said. “I understand the safety reasons but a lot of fans want to see the returns. It gets kind of boring just seeing touchbacks all the time. I obviously want that but the ideal fan doesn’t want that. They want to see the run out, the big collisions and everything like that.”

And as a guy who’s not just a player but also a fan, that’s what Buehler wants to see, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ting-soft/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/25/even-kickers-think-the-nfl-is-getting-soft/)