PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Super Bowl Chances

flippy
08-24-2011, 09:33 AM
What do you think the odds are we win #7 this season?

Could it simply come down to Troy Polamalu's health status in the playoffs?

If he's 100%, we'll win.

If not our chances go down?

I really think it could be that simple.

Steelers>NFL
08-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Steelers CAN win the SB without #43. But the young guys MUST step up.

But they CAN NOT win the SB without #7.

This is what I believe.

sentinel33
08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't think we have much to worry about in the way of not making the playoffs this year, even though we are coming out of a super bowl and this team has not faired well the year after such an appearance. But with the return of many veterans and the wise release of others combined with a relatively softer schedule(at least in the 2nd half of the season), as long as we don't come out flat, we will be in the playoffs.

As far as the super bowl, I'd say we are one of only a handful of teams that realistically have a good shot at winning it. I'm comfortable with the depth on this team. More so than last season. It's not perfect across the board, but good enough to where I don't sweat injuries as much. Only the handful of key players we absolutely need-Ben, Troy(flippy), Farrior etc. are what keeps me a bit on edge in that department. While health is an issue, we proved last year, as did the Packers, that you can sustain key injuries and still be highly competitive with proper depth. So as long as we don't lose key personell, we should be good.
One other thing we need is for Kugler to keep workin his magic. Cause he's gonna need to do it again until Gilbert(colon,legursky?) come along and we can achieve some semblance of stability there. It would be nice sometime during Ben's career to get him a line that is similar to the one he starts out a season with. Sheesh.
I mean take a look at his offensive lines since the boy came into the league. Every super bowl he has played in, he has had a different RT, RG,C and LT. EVERY TIME!
I'm not asking for 1-3 round caliber players here(although that would be nice). The super bowls we have won have been done with less. I just want consistency.

Those two things-the health of certain key players and a consistent, palpable chemistry seeing the same names virtually game after game with the O-line.

:2c

BradshawsHairdresser
08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
We shall see. In both the season following Super Bowl XL and the season following XLIII, the Steelers disappointed. Also, unless you are the Buffalo Bills, Super Bowl losers typically don't make it back the next year.

sentinel33
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I hear what your sayin', BH.

But it can be done.

I feel like the schedule allows the Steelers an opportunity to nab a first round bye and get a little home-field-but coming out strong is key.

I understand a lot of things have to go right, but if a team had to do it, this team is the one.

Jooser
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
I think our chances significantly increase after Flippy gets off his butt and starts the Official Super Bowl or Bust thread....2011 Edition. But, that's just me. Bring on the KARMA Flip.

-Joos

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2011, 01:15 AM
how can we possibly make it back to the Super Bowl when we have a QB who holds onto the ball too long, an OL that can't block anyone, DBs that can't cover and a defensive scheme that plays the CBs way too far off the ball? :stirpot

Jooser
08-25-2011, 03:45 AM
how can we possibly make it back to the Super Bowl when we have a QB who holds onto the ball too long, an OL that can't block anyone, DBs that can't cover and a defensive scheme that plays the CBs way too far off the ball? :stirpot

FAITH in the S.O.B. thread Hawaiian! Positive VIBES! BELIEVE!!!!!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/WEBELIEVE.gif

rpmpit
08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Not really concerned about a SB hangover this season. Especially because we lost. I think (hope) this team uses that loss as motivation. I believe they will.

I think we need a healthy Troy and a healthy James to win it all. Both played hurt in the SB and it showed. Little pressure on Rodgers and wide open spots in the secondary. I still can't believe we only lost that game by 6.

BTW, anyone else get nauseous seeing the commercials for the new America's Game with GB?? :(

pittpete
08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
If Harrison has an injury plagued season, I think that will compromise our post season outcome.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-25-2011, 09:47 AM
IF the Steelers can remain relatively healthy, I like our chances. The problem is, when you have as much age on your team as we do (particularly on our defense), your chances of remaining relatively healthy decrease significantly.

Jooser
08-26-2011, 02:35 PM
SUPER BOWL or BUST!

SUPER BOWL or BUST!

SUPER BOWL or BUST!

SUPER BOWL or BUST!

SUPER BOWL or BUST!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2