PDA

View Full Version : Props to the OLine and CBs

flippy
08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't know which position is a worse job to have in Pittsburgh - Oline or CB.

Both of these groups get no respect. And it doesn't seem completely fair to me.

Both are saddled with impossible jobs.

Re: the Oline, they're tasked with blocking for a QB that will hold the ball for infinity to make a play. It's not like they're out there blocking for Drew Brees and his 3 step drop and release. They've got a guy that will hold the ball forever to make a play downfield and doesn't seem to like to get rid of the ball until he has contact with a defender. It's an impossible task and these guys get unfairly criticized. But they don't get credit for the plays where Ben stays alive to make a play downfield. They deserve more of our respect.

Re: the CBs, they're tasked to play 10 yards off a receiver, make tackles, and not give up the big plays. So they're never going to be in position to make plays. It's all about giving small yardage and so the front 7 can eventually get to the QB to make a splash play. That's not really fair on the DBs cause without them, you wouldn't get the eventual negative plays/turnovers from the front 7 if the guys in the backfield didn't do their job consistently.

Both of these positions are asked to do something differently than the rest of the league. And it's all about setting up their teammates to be successful. And all we ever notice about both groups is when they screw up. They're not set up for success in the system.

And then when they do their jobs to enable others to succeed, they get no creidt.

It's a no win situation for these guys.

And given the impossible nature of the jobs these guys have, we should cut them more slack.

Oviedo
08-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Flip--they get little respect because they are the two worst position units on the team. I don't think anyone will debate that.

Captain Lemming
08-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Re: the Oline, they're tasked with blocking for a QB that will hold the ball for infinity to make a play. It's not like they're out there blocking for Drew Brees and his 3 step drop and release. They've got a guy that will hold the ball forever to make a play downfield and doesn't seem to like to get rid of the ball until he has contact with a defender. It's an impossible task and these guys get unfairly criticized. But they don't get credit for the plays where Ben stays alive to make a play downfield. They deserve more of our respect.

Re: the CBs, they're tasked to play 10 yards off a receiver, make tackles, and not give up the big plays. So they're never going to be in position to make plays. It's all about giving small yardage and so the front 7 can eventually get to the QB to make a splash play. That's not really fair on the DBs cause without them, you wouldn't get the eventual negative plays/turnovers from the front 7 if the guys in the backfield didn't do their job consistently.

Both of these positions are asked to do something differently than the rest of the league. And it's all about setting up their teammates to be successful. And all we ever notice about both groups is when they screw up. They're not set up for success in the system.

And then when they do their jobs to enable others to succeed, they get no creidt.

And we should cut them.

There fixed that.

(Actually, I get your point.....just couldnt resist.) :)

flippy
08-23-2011, 09:47 PM

And we should cut them.

There fixed that.

(Actually, I get your point.....just couldnt resist.) :)

Nice :lol: