PDA

View Full Version : Mcfadden possible roster cut?

steeler_george
08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I was reading something on another site, that seem to mention there is a possiblilty in releasing Mcfadden if his camp injury is more than what it is. Saying the Lewis and Wood are stepping up big time and gaining the trust of coaching staff.

This move will save them 2.5 Mill and mention could possible use the loot on Starks or Adams.

I don't believe it, but pretty interesting. Mcfadden is what he is not great not spetacular, just decent solid, WHEN HEALTHY. But we saw what the lingering affects of injuries have done to him. In AZ, when they lost out to I think GB, and in the superbowl again against GB.

What if Lewis has a great preseason game this week and What if Wood turn's more heads...could mcfadden actually be go back out west?

steelblood
08-23-2011, 10:58 AM
McFadden or Kemo could be a "surprise" cut. It is unlikely, but both have injuries and did not perform well last season.

steeler_george
08-23-2011, 11:48 AM
McFadden or Kemo could be a "surprise" cut. It is unlikely, but both have injuries and did not perform well last season.

Colon-Hills-POuncey-LEG-Scott/Essex/Gilbert

But the thing is who would be the LG? LeG? And have Essex the back up Guard/Tackle, and still have player Flex in Hills, Legs, and Ess

costanza2k1
08-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I would cut Kemo before McFadden, just to prevent Gay from starting at corner.

flippy
08-23-2011, 12:18 PM
McFaddy's the best tackler in our secondary. That's being so underrated by the fan base.

Oviedo
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
McFaddy's the best tackler in our secondary. That's being so underrated by the fan base.

He can't tackle anyone from the sidelines if he can't stay healthy.

Let Curtis Brown play.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I highly doubt that cutting McFadden is on the Steelers' radar. In Carnell Lake's latest interview, he spoke as though McFadden is penciled in as a starting CB.

Gus
08-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I was reading something on another site, that seem to mention there is a possiblilty in releasing Mcfadden if his camp injury is more than what it is. Saying the Lewis and Wood are stepping up big time and gaining the trust of coaching staff.

This move will save them 2.5 Mill and mention could possible use the loot on Starks or Adams.

I don't believe it, but pretty interesting. Mcfadden is what he is not great not spetacular, just decent solid, WHEN HEALTHY. But we saw what the lingering affects of injuries have done to him. In AZ, when they lost out to I think GB, and in the superbowl again against GB.

What if Lewis has a great preseason game this week and What if Wood turn's more heads...could mcfadden actually be go back out west?

Who is Wood?

BradshawsHairdresser
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Who is Wood?

I'm guessing he's talking about Donovan Warren, but I'm not sure.

Gus
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM

That's my guess too. The funny thing is, I keep thinking of him as Wood (I don't know why) which is a good sign. All DB's with Wood in their name seem to be awesome!

Who is Wood?

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 03:05 PM

That's my guess too. The funny thing is, I keep thinking of him as Wood (I don't know why) which is a good sign. All DB's with Wood in their name seem to be awesome!

Who is Wood?

we're bringing Rod Woodson back, the Steelers have figured out that even at age 46 that Woodson is still way better than BMac. :D

http://www.steelersonly.com/rod_woodson/rod_woodson_picture.jpg

steeler_george
08-23-2011, 03:55 PM

Who is Wood?

BINGO.... I am refering to Donovan Warran. My dyslexia is kicking hard with the new names.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Highly, highly doubtful that BMac will be cut. I think that Foote would go first if they needed to clear up the space, but they do not have to make cuts to get under right now.

BMac is currently projected to start.
Foote is projected as a backup

CB is considered to be a weak spot on this team with little depth.
LB is considered to be a position of strength and depth.

BMac is in the last year of his contract
Foote is in the last year of his contract

Cutting BMac saves the team $2.5M against the cap.
Cutting Foote save the team $2.4M against the cap.

Cutting BMac probably gives a roster spot to Donovan Warren and extra playing time to William Gay
Cutting Foote probably gives a roster spot to Morty Ivy and more playing time to Stevenson Sylvester

All in all I think that BMac is a much safer bet than Foote - but both will remain IMO

steelblood
08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Highly, highly doubtful that BMac will be cut. I think that Foote would go first if they needed to clear up the space, but they do not have to make cuts to get under right now.

Cutting BMac probably gives a roster spot to Donovan Warren and extra playing time to William Gay
Cutting Foote probably gives a roster spot to Morty Ivy and more playing time to Stevenson Sylvester

All in all I think that BMac is a much safer bet than Foote - but both will remain IMO

Why do you always have to bring rational thought into these discussions?!

papillon
08-23-2011, 05:05 PM

Yea, it grows tiresome reading cogent thoughts. :moon :tt2

Pappy

flippy
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Yea, it grows tiresome reading cogent thoughts. :moon :tt2

Pappy

Exactly, let's cut Ike and Bmac to bring back Flozell and Max.

Chadman
08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
and Wood....don't forget Wood...

Steelhere10
08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
You guys are dogging the OP, but on a podcast from a sight they had Ed B. On and asked him the same question and he answered by saying, thats BMac is not a lock to make the team.

Steelerphile
08-23-2011, 06:15 PM
I just don't know how good BMac is anymore because the man is just never physically ready. Nobody, especially a CB, can get the job done with 1 good hammy and 1 bad one. He became a target last season, beause of injury.

The hitting has not really begun, for him, and he is injured? It does make me wonder if they should try to go through another year with a hobbling BMac, or if a younger player, albeit, inexperienced but at least healthy, might be a better option.

I wouldn't go with Gay as the starter though. I like him as a nickle-back but I wouldn't give him the starting job except in a real emergency.

phillyesq
08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Both McFadden and Lewis seem to get banged up a bit. Even if the Steelers are happy with his development, they should keep both and hope to have at least one guy healthy at a time.

Discipline of Steel
08-23-2011, 06:39 PM
I think the Donovan Warren/Wood issue stems from a recent Steeler player named Donovan Woods who was most recently a LB with the Bills.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley
AUGUST 23, 2011

© Speaking of young defensive players, rumblings are getting stronger that Bryant McFadden may be the odd man out when the Steelers start cutting corners – no pun intended.

The thinking is that at this point in his career, McFadden is what he is. He's not going to get any better. And what he is right now is adequate.

But would the defense be any worse off with, say, Keenan Lewis in the starting lineup opposite Ike Taylor?

At least there is the opportunity that Lewis could still get better.

And with a number of young corners on the roster who the Steelers don't want to give up on, it may not make sense to keep McFadden and his higher salary hit and take the chance on somebody signing Crezdon Butler or Cortez Allen if they are released.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Slapstick
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley
AUGUST 23, 2011

© Speaking of young defensive players, rumblings are getting stronger that Bryant McFadden may be the odd man out when the Steelers start cutting corners – no pun intended.

The thinking is that at this point in his career, McFadden is what he is. He's not going to get any better. And what he is right now is adequate.

But would the defense be any worse off with, say, Keenan Lewis in the starting lineup opposite Ike Taylor?

At least there is the opportunity that Lewis could still get better.

And with a number of young corners on the roster who the Steelers don't want to give up on, it may not make sense to keep McFadden and his higher salary hit and take the chance on somebody signing Crezdon Butler or Cortez Allen if they are released.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

And this is the problem for McFadden...

NJ-STEELER
08-24-2011, 12:37 AM
i thought bmac signed a 3 year deal after the trade last off season

Chadman
08-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Personally, I think McFadden is a fine CB (when healthy)- but if the coaches feel they can get comparable play from a younger CB (Hello Keenan Lewis) then so be it- I'm willing to trust their judgement!

Like the article said- McFadden won't get better- Lewis & Co might....even if they do start behind where McFadden is right now..

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
i thought bmac signed a 3 year deal after the trade last off season

Yeah...last year was the first of three, this year is the second of three, and next year will be the last of three. But the signing bonus on that deal was only a half million dollars, so he can be cut at any time without a significant dead money cap hit.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I can see the team having a dilemma with having to cut Allen to put him on the PS. Cortez Allen is a young and inexperienced, yet highly athletic player. Cutting him might cause a non-contender to sign him as a developmental project.

If it came down to McFadden and Allen then I could see the logic to keep Allen.

What I can't see would be any choice to keep either Crezdon Butler or Willie Gay at the expense of cutting BMac. One goes into the season as a starter with the potential to be a solid CB if healthy. Butler and Gay are both low ceiling guys, neither of whom should be overtaking both Keenan Lewis and BMac to start this season.

feltdizz
08-24-2011, 01:46 PM
We let him go once.... it wouldn't shock me if he was the odd man out.

sentinel33
08-24-2011, 01:58 PM
I would be happy to see mcfadden cut loose.

To me that means one thing-K. Lewis is gonna get a shot.
cause Gay can't start opposite Ike. We've seen what happens and so has the Steelers Staff. No way that happens.Butler isn't there yet. I don't think Brown is close to getting a starting gig. So unless these 2 new guys are balling-Dockery and Warren- it can only be Lewis. This Warren kid has been playin well so far.

We should trade him to the giants.

Dee Dub
08-24-2011, 02:14 PM

When you cant cover worth a darn, you should be good at tackling. You'll have a lot of opportunity do to so.

Dee Dub
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Oh…by the way….McFadden does have tremendous value right now. To the NY Football Giants.

Get what you can for him. They are desperate for a veteran corner.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Oh…by the way….McFadden does have tremendous value right now. To the NY Football Giants.

agreed.

also would not risk trying to sneak cortez allen on the PS.

giants need help badly.

edit- don't agree with the trade scenario. we will need both these guys before the season is over. agree that the giants are desperate.

Oviedo
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM

As does William Gay who isn't hurt. I'd take a 5th for either.

Need to send one of them and get Curtis Brown on the field.