PDA

View Full Version : Timmons Extended

SteelStallion
08-23-2011, 08:08 AM
6yr/50M per Ed B on 93.7 The Fan

SteelStallion
08-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Sorry, didn't see the other thread.

Ed B sais no more negotiations this year. Troy prob gets franchise. Wallace is restricted.

Oviedo
08-23-2011, 08:18 AM
This is a great move. That is a great deal for a LB on the cusp of making the Pro Bowl. It is especially a good deal for a player deemed to be "soft against the run" by internet experts. :wink:

I understand waiting on Troy to make sure he is healthy but there sure isn't anyone on this roster that could take his place.

papillon
08-23-2011, 08:42 AM
This is a great move. That is a great deal for a LB on the cusp of making the Pro Bowl. It is especially a good deal for a player deemed to be "soft against the run" by internet experts. :wink:

I understand waiting on Troy to make sure he is healthy but there sure isn't anyone on this roster that could take his place.

There isn't anyone on the Steeler roster or any other roster that could take Troy's place. He'll have a unique place in NFL history when he hangs em up. I'd take Troy over Ronnie Lott considered by many to be the gold standard.

Pappy

Steelers>NFL
08-23-2011, 08:49 AM
If this signing in true, then this is AWESOME news! WOW what a GREAT offseason/camp it has been w/bringing back all important players. As well as getting a good one in Crotchery for nothing!

steelz09
08-23-2011, 09:04 AM
That's great news.

Sign Troy next, then Wallace.

insanesteelersfan
08-23-2011, 09:09 AM

There isn't anyone on the Steeler roster or any other roster that could take Troy's place. He'll have a unique place in NFL history when he hangs em up. I'd take Troy over Ronnie Lott considered by many to be the gold standard.

Pappy

I Love Troy. But it is outright stupidity to compare Troy,, to Ronnie Lott. Troy isn't even a PIMPLE on the A_S_S of Ronnie Lott. Lott was the most physically impossing Safety to ever play. As well as a PURE Ballhawk. He had 7 seasons of 100 + tackles,,,Troy hasn't ever had one, let alone even a season of 75 tackles. Lott at 27 had 33 Interceptions in his career, at the same point in his career Troy had half as much. I mean PLEASE...Troy over Lott ??? :wft

ramblinjim
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
This is excellent news: Deebo, Timmons and Wood all locked into long term deals with one really good looking young defensive end and another that looks pretty good for a rook is an excellent situation to be in with Worilds and Sylvester waiting in the wings.

flippy
08-23-2011, 10:11 AM

Pappy

I Love Troy. But it is outright stupidity to compare Troy,, to Ronnie Lott. Troy isn't even a PIMPLE on the A_S_S of Ronnie Lott. Lott was the most physically impossing Safety to ever play. As well as a PURE Ballhawk. He had 7 seasons of 100 + tackles,,,Troy hasn't ever had one, let alone even a season of 75 tackles. Lott at 27 had 33 Interceptions in his career, at the same point in his career Troy had half as much. I mean PLEASE...Troy over Lott ??? :wft

It is kinda silly to try and compare anyone to Troy because there's never been a player like the guy.

I've never seen anyone that can defend as much field as Troy can and you can't appreciate just how good he is until you see him play live. I haven't seen Ronnie Lott live, but I doubt he could dream of making some of the plays Troy makes.

The ones that stand out are when Troy is in deep coverage and ends up making tackles in the backfield. Or looks like he's blitzing and ends up making a play in the deep middle of the field.

Troy's football speed is what sets him apart. It totally limits how much field an opponent has to work with.

The modern athlete is so much bigger and faster than they were in Lott's day and Troy stands out on the field more than the great players did back in the day. Making his athleticism even that much more impressive imho.

Plus Lott played mostly CB and FS. He was more of a coverage guy and a hitter. Troy is more of a completely change what the offense can do against this defense.

And Troy is what makes our #1 D work in an era where all the rules support the offense.

It's way harder on modern defenses. And Troy's the key cog in the best defense in the modern era.

There's a reason we're really good and win SuperBowl's when he's healthy. At the end of the day, I think Troy contributes more to the Steelers overall success than Lott did for the 49ers.

So yeah, Lott covers and hits better.

Troy is the once in a lifetime talent that's the better overall defender.

insanesteelersfan
08-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Pappy

Flippy, you never seen Lott play, which means you have ZERO opinion. Comparing Troy to Lott in ANY way is silly. Lott was everybit as fast and Athletic as Troy was. Was as strong as ANY current D-Linemen playing today. And could EASILY just look at someone like Jack Lambert and make him Cry and run to his Momma!! Lott is easily the best DB period to play in the past 50 years. If any safety can compare to Troy it's Kenny Easley, former Seahawk Safety. Easley was a Ballhawk like Troy, and was also equally as dinged up as Troy is. They are both " Finess " players. Lott was a Physical Monster who could play finess, or super physical.

Comparing the talents of Troy P to Lott is like saying Kyle Boler..( Troy ) is equal to Terry Bradshaw...( Lott )

steelblood
08-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Geez, we have a lot money wrapped up in linebackers.

steelblood
08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Troy hasn't ever had one, let alone even a season of 75 tackles.

Polamalu
2004 97 tackles
2005 92 tackles
2006 77 tackles

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6352/career

insanesteelersfan
08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Polamalu
2004 97 tackles
2005 92 tackles
2006 77 tackles

Solo tackles. The ONLY type that count ( At least for me )...not the additional ones where Troy gets as assisted tackles where he just jumps on the pile 30 seconds after the play is over. Anyone who has ever watched Troy play will tell you he is among the WORST tacklers that has ever played the position. Sure, he might chase the guy down and tackle him. But thats after Troy WHIFFED on the original tackle. So try again MENSA!!

steelblood
08-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Polamalu
2004 97 tackles
2005 92 tackles
2006 77 tackles

Solo tackles. The ONLY type that count ( At least for me )...not the additional ones where Troy gets as assisted tackles where he just jumps on the pile 30 seconds after the play is over. Anyone who has ever watched Troy play will tell you he is among the WORST tacklers that has ever played the position. Sure, he might chase the guy down and tackle him. But thats after Troy WHIFFED on the original tackle. So try again MENSA!!

Ok, I'll try again.

Here is what you said,

"He had 7 seasons of 100 + tackles,,,Troy hasn't ever had one, let alone even a season of 75 tackles. Lott at 27 had 33 Interceptions in his career, at the same point in his career Troy had half as much. " -insane guy

Unfortunately, Tackle data wasn't officially kept before 2001. Even the results that were kept did NOT distinguish between tackles and assists until 1994 (which was Lott's final season). So, any tackles stats that you quote for Lott are 1) completely unreliable and 2) likely include assists.

But, even the unofficial stats that were kept only credit Lott with 4 seasons of over 100 tackles, not 7 (of course even those totals likely include those assists you refuse to recognize)http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LottRo00.htm. By the way, if you tackle a ball carrier with the aid of teammate. The runner is still down and the tackle counts. What do you propose we do with that tackle as a statistic?

Lott did have a lot of interceptions by the time he was 27. However, he was playing mostly cornerback (4 and 1/2 of the 6 seasons to which you refer). So comparing his early interceptions to Troy's (whom Cowher generally used as an in the box safety) is really a poor and clumsy comparison. Since Tomlin has arrived and Troy has been used more as a two deep safety, his interception totals have been great. In just four years with Tomlin, Troy has two seasons of 7 or more interceptions. Lott had 3 such seasons for his career (and one was at cornerback).

My point is not that Troy is better. It is simply that your comparison in inadequate and full of fallacies.

williar
08-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Thrilled they extended Timmons and keeping their core of youngs stars together. It shows the steelers committment to continued success. I am loving our FO right about now..... As far as Troy, I have no problem with waiting to see if Troy stays healthy before extending him, if that is what the FO is doing. As special as Troy is, I think it is becoming more frustrating for everyone holding their breath week after week for Troy to stay healthy... With the way he plays he is always a injury waiting to happen. Just like in the game against the eagles. I'm watching Troy run back that interception saying to myself, Troy please get down. No sooner, here comes the big hit right on his Knee/ Thigh area. My first reaction was, there goes the season. If Troy can't stay healthy this season, I'll be like, dude, we love you, but!!!!!

flippy
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Pappy

Flippy, you never seen Lott play, which means you have ZERO opinion. Comparing Troy to Lott in ANY way is silly. Lott was everybit as fast and Athletic as Troy was. Was as strong as ANY current D-Linemen playing today. And could EASILY just look at someone like Jack Lambert and make him Cry and run to his Momma!! Lott is easily the best DB period to play in the past 50 years. If any safety can compare to Troy it's Kenny Easley, former Seahawk Safety. Easley was a Ballhawk like Troy, and was also equally as dinged up as Troy is. They are both " Finess " players. Lott was a Physical Monster who could play finess, or super physical.

Comparing the talents of Troy P to Lott is like saying Kyle Boler..( Troy ) is equal to Terry Bradshaw...( Lott )

How many times have you seen Lott play in person?

I seriously have my doubts that he was close to as fast as Troy on the field. Everyone else looks like they're moving in slow motion compared to the guy.

As strong as any DLineman? C'Mon bro. There's no way. If he was that powerful and fast, there'd be no reason to drop him into coverage, just send him up the gut after the QB.

I just went and watch highlight reels of Polamalu and Lott for the fun of it. And Lott couldn't have made half the plays in Troy's highlight reel.

Lott may have been big and fast and hit hard for his era. But if you watch the 2 side by side, Lott looks like he's running with bricks in his pants compared to Troy's athleticism.

And Troy doesn't get as many opportunities for INTs. You can't compare a CB/FS to a SS that plays in the box as much as Troy. That's a crazy comparison.

As good as Lott was during his era, I just don't see how he compares really. Could Lott take away TO or Antonio Gates for a game? Lott's one of the best ever in coverage. Troy sucks in coverage. I've seen Troy take out some of the biggest/baddest WRs as part of a game plan and I think Lott would have struggled against either one of those guys.

I do give credit to Lott for breaking off a finger and playing. But when I look at the tapes, I don't see speed/power in Lott compared to the modern players.

But you've seen him in person more than I have. I've only seen Troy play in person. So maybe Lott did cover the whole field just like Troy. I doubt it, but I haven't seen him play in person.

feltdizz
08-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Troy can do everything Lott did besides laying bone crushing hits. Troy could do this but he wasn't raised to hurt people. :wink:

pittpete
08-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Anyone who has ever watched Troy play will tell you he is among the WORST tacklers that has ever played the position. Sure, he might chase the guy down and tackle him. But thats after Troy WHIFFED on the original tackle. So try again MENSA!

When somebody makes a statement like this, dont even bother debating it further.

aggiebones
08-23-2011, 01:03 PM
If Troy played his full tenure with a healthy body, he might have been the best football player ever. EVER.

However, we will never know. He has not and likely will limp through this next contract as well.

He has ridiculous range when healthy. Great ball skills and understanding of the game. He's very physical in the running game and tackles a guy WELL before the runner even knows he's there. He does not hesitate, EVER.

But health is an issue always was and always will be. But you certain want to ride into battle with him on your team as long as you can.

D Rock
08-23-2011, 02:44 PM
don't expect Insane to return to this thread...at least not with anything useful to add.

Maybe he will talk about his own incredible physical abilities compared to Lott's though and say he is faster than Mike Wallace. MIKE WALLACE!

phillyesq
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
6yr/50M per Ed B on 93.7 The Fan

Good move, good price. I believe that Harris with the jets got about $10 million per in his recent extension.

phillyesq
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Ah yes, the guy that is smarter than dick lebeau criticizing Internet experts. Pure gold.

Surely Joe Burnett will be extended next, right? :lol:

Jigawatts
08-23-2011, 03:00 PM

Polamalu
2004 97 tackles
2005 92 tackles
2006 77 tackles

Ok, I'll try again.

Here is what you said,

"He had 7 seasons of 100 + tackles,,,Troy hasn't ever had one, let alone even a season of 75 tackles. Lott at 27 had 33 Interceptions in his career, at the same point in his career Troy had half as much. " -insane guy

Unfortunately, Tackle data wasn't officially kept before 2001. Even the results that were kept did NOT distinguish between tackles and assists until 1994 (which was Lott's final season). So, any tackles stats that you quote for Lott are 1) completely unreliable and 2) likely include assists.

But, even the unofficial stats that were kept only credit Lott with 4 seasons of over 100 tackles, not 7 (of course even those totals likely include those assists you refuse to recognize)http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LottRo00.htm. By the way, if you tackle a ball carrier with the aid of teammate. The runner is still down and the tackle counts. What do you propose we do with that tackle as a statistic?

Lott did have a lot of interceptions by the time he was 27. However, he was playing mostly cornerback (4 and 1/2 of the 6 seasons to which you refer). So comparing his early interceptions to Troy's (whom Cowher generally used as an in the box safety) is really a poor and clumsy comparison. Since Tomlin has arrived and Troy has been used more as a two deep safety, his interception totals have been great. In just four years with Tomlin, Troy has two seasons of 7 or more interceptions. Lott had 3 such seasons for his career (and one was at cornerback).

My point is not that Troy is better. It is simply that your comparison in inadequate and full of fallacies.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the comic relief I was having a bad day and needed a good laugh!

pittpete
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
don't expect Insane to return to this thread...at least not with anything useful to add.

:Agree
He'll just move to a new thread, spew garbage, call people names, get schooled when people post facts & then dissappear.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Ah yes, the guy that is smarter than bad word lebeau criticizing Internet experts. Pure gold.

i always get a chuckle when ovi pulls this move.

this is the same "expert" who advocated trading away almost all of our picks a couple of years ago for cj spiller. :lol:

to the point of the thread, great move by the FO.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Ah yes, the guy that is smarter than bad word lebeau criticizing Internet experts. Pure gold.

no, we need to take care of Kraig Urbik first... :D

Oviedo
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

You have to say some things to get you guys to actually participate in this board on a regular basis. Chumming the water always works for some. :wink: You just have to know what bait the fishes will bite at :wink:

I like fishing for the "Red Finned "Love the UDFA" " and the "Spotted "Defend LeBeau Blindly" Herring"

You guys have forgotten how to have fun on this board and take your opinions way to seriously.

Northern_Blitz
08-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Polamalu
2004 97 tackles
2005 92 tackles
2006 77 tackles

Ok, I'll try again.

Here is what you said,

Even current tackle stats are garbage. See: R.Lewis making tackles in games he didn't play.

D Rock
08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
according to Yahoo, James Harrison had a 'pass defensed' against Washington

Flasteel
08-23-2011, 04:40 PM

Polamalu
2004 97 tackles
2005 92 tackles
2006 77 tackles

You should really consider changing your screen name from insanesteelersfan to retardedsteelersfan.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Steelers Extend Timmons For Six Years

Posted on August 23, 2011 by JJ

No one should say the Steelers are cheap.

A couple of weeks after working out a deal to keep LaMarr Woodley in Pittsburgh for six more years with a $61.5 million deal, Pittsburgh has re-upped Lawrence Timmons for six years. The deal is reportedly worth $50 million.

By signing Timmons now, Pittsburgh’s biggest remaining item on the to-do list for upcoming free agents is safety Troy Polamalu, but with Timmons re-signed Pittsburgh can also franchise Polamalu if they need to.

In the early 1990s, the Steelers were seemingly incapable of keeping their best free agents. Rod Woodson, Chad Brown and Leon Searcy were among the players who left Pittsburgh near the peak of their career.

Nowadays? Pittsburgh may lose a backup or a player on the downside of his career, but it’s hard to remember the last significant player the Steelers lost to free agency without some other backstory. Plaxico Burress is probably the best example, but in that case, Burress’ makeup played a part in the decision.

The Steelers have managed to keep Hines Ward for his entire career. Heath Miller will be a Steeler for at least 10 years, as he’s signed through 2014. Ben Roethlisberger is under contract until 2015. On defense, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel and Casey Hampton have all become Steelers for life (or at least for 10+ years). James Harrison, Woodley and Timmons are all locked up for years. Ike Taylor joined the 10+years with the Steelers club with his new deal.

All in all, Pittsburgh has managed to keep everyone they’ve really wanted to keep since reaching the Super Bowl during the 2005 season. That’s a pretty impressive feat.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/s ... #more-6085 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/steelers-extend-timmons-years/#more-6085)

Chadman
08-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Ahh....it's like watching a son grow up & succeed...all the pre-draft pimping I had to do for Timmons has finally paid off for him..

Now maybe I can get a slice of that action, huh Lawrence?

Looks like the core of a very good team is being kept together. Note, however, that they are not extending "Contract 3" types- only "Contract 2" (actually- that might be a complete lie depending on how many contracts Ike has signed..)

Slapstick
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Franchising Polamalu will be WAY more cost effective than franchising Timmons...

About $2 million...

A restrictive tender can be given to Wallace...

DukieBoy
08-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Pappy

Ronnie Lott would be a penalty machine in Goodell's NFL, at least when not suspended.

BURGH86STEEL
08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Seems like a fair deal for the Steelers and Timmons. If Timmons can finish off the QB when he has the opportunities, he will get more national recognition.

Captain Lemming
08-23-2011, 08:51 PM
6yr/50M per....

Fifty Mil EVERY YEAR for 6 years?????

I hoped we signed the kid but THAT is OUTRAGEOUS!!!! :)

Captain Lemming
08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Here is my take on the difference between Lott and Troy.

Lott was flawless as a safety.
- He was a surer tackler
- A harder hitter
- Had corner (played one for a time) cover skills

Troy is more spectacular.
- Has greater range
- Has ridiculous "football" speed
- Can make plays no other safety makes

I think they differ more in tendancies than skill set.

Troy guesses alot. Troy also plays with speed that can be out of control.

These are the reasons he plays so fast, and makes plays that seem impossible.

However, Troy take himself out of plays with his guessing; biting on the run when a pass is called. The same uncontrolled speed that leads to him making impossible plays in the backfield, leads to him missing tackles when he shoots past someone.

Lott was kind of a flawless player for the position in a "Jack Ham" kind of way. He had plenty of spectacular splash play ability too, among the best. Not like Troy though who has no peer in that regard.

Highlight film was mentioned.

Troys highlights would blow Lotts highlights away IMHO.

However, if there was a reel of blown plays, Troys reel similarly would be larger and have far more mistakes than Lott.

I think the question of who is better is pretty subjective.

flippy
08-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Here is my take on the difference between Lott and Troy.

Lott was flawless as a safety.
- He was a surer tackler
- A harder hitter
- Had corner (played one for a time) cover skills

Troy is more spectacular.
- Has greater range
- Has ridiculous "football" speed
- Can make plays no other safety makes

I think they differ more in tendancies than skill set.

Troy guesses alot. Troy also plays with speed that can be out of control.

These are the reasons he plays so fast, and makes plays that seem impossible.

However, Troy take himself out of plays with his guessing; biting on the run when a pass is called. The same uncontrolled speed that leads to him making impossible plays in the backfield, leads to him missing tackles when he shoots past someone.

Lott was kind of a flawless player for the position in a "Jack Ham" kind of way. He had plenty of spectacular splash play ability too, among the best. Not like Troy though who has no peer in that regard.

Highlight film was mentioned.

Troys highlights would blow Lotts highlights away IMHO.

However, if there was a reel of blown plays, Troys reel similarly would be larger and have far more mistakes than Lott.

I think the question of who is better is pretty subjective.

Good summary. This is something I would tend to agree with across the board.

The only thing I'd add is Lott played in coverage versus Troy being used more in the box.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley
AUGUST 23, 2011

The big news of the day was not the earthquake that shook the Pittsburgh area and the Steelers' facility on the South Side, but the signing of linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

Timmons got a six-year extension worth $50 million from the Steelers, giving them three linebackers who are earning an average of nearly $10 million per year.

That's a lot of money tied up in the front seven and the defense in general.

But it also means the Steelers have now tied up their two youngest defensive starters – Timmons and LaMarr Woodley – to long-term deals.

That's significant considering they are the only two starters who are under 30.

The team still has yet to do anything with strong safety Troy Polamalu, but may wait on that. Polamalu could be given the franchise tag at the end of the season.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Captain Lemming
08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I detailed once the direct correlation between Troys play and Steelers winning, so I get your point Flippy.

But Lott's importance to an otherwise "good" but not close to great defense cannot be ignored.

LOTT WAS THE ONLY CONSTANT IN THE GREAT NINER TEAMS PERIOD.

Not Montana, not Rice, not Young.

LOTT ALONE.

NO OTHER GREAT NINER played a key role on ALL those great teams.

They won their 1st SB with Lott as a 1st team all-pro rookie. The dynasty of the 90s began.

They won their last with him a 1st team all pro 9 year vet

The following year 1990, was his last with the Niners. They had the best record in the league and were upset by two by the Giants who were held to 15. The offense only scored 13.

The year Lott left the Niners they missed the playoffs. The Niners dynasty was done.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Steelers Tuesday: Timmons on new deal

Tue, Aug 23rd, 2011
By Dale Grdnic

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Lawrence_Timmons1.jpg

PITTSBURGH -- Lawrence Timmons stayed healthy and finally had the breakthrough season everyone believed he could have since the Pittsburgh Steelers selected him with their No. 1 pick in 2007.

The Steelers rewarded Timmons with a six-year, $50 million contract today, and the fifth-year inside linebacker was thrilled about it.

"I couldn't be happier just to be locked up here for the next six years and being a big part of this organization,'' Timmons said before Tuesday's practice. "It all happened pretty fast, but Mike Tomlin said that he really wanted to keep me here. I was one of his first drafted players.

"So, I'm just happy to be signed here for another six years. ... It's very pivotal for our defense to be great to have all these great players here for a long time. That way, we can keep this process going and keep it going for a while. I didn't think about (a new contract) too much, because I did have this year.

Even though Timmons was in the final season of his rookie contract, the Steelers targeted he and safety Troy Polamalu for extensions after outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley re-signed a couple weeks ago. Timmons said that he trusted his head coach when he told the player that he wanted to keep him on the roster for a long time.

That's understandable, because Timmons -- who finished among the NFL's top tacklers with 135 total stops last season -- actually led the league in the early going. However, a hematoma developed on his side, and that appeared to hold him back a bit, even though he wouldn't use it as an excuse.

"I just think I didn't get as many plays in the second half as I did during my first eight games, but that's part of the game,'' Timmons said. "I think that if I can get double-digit sacks this year that would really help our defense.

"(That) would open things up for the other great players here. ... I missed out on quite a few (sacks) last year, so I just have to finish my plays. If I can do that, then I think I'll be a pretty good linebacker.''

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... -go/41928/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/steelers-tuesday-timmons-on-new-deal-ben-advocates-for-essex-kemoeatu-ready-to-go/41928/)

NJ-STEELER
08-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Franchising Polamalu will be WAY more cost effective than franchising Timmons...

About $2 million...

A restrictive tender can be given to Wallace...

$$

and troy has his big contract already. timmons was on his rookie dea still

no way a team will be able to woo troy with a ludicrous contract the way they may have done with timmons

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Another Steelers LB receives large windfall

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 24, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-23/0824TimmonsCAP-a.jpg

The money the Steelers have invested in their linebackers means something to LaMarr Woodley, aside from him being financially set for life.

To Woodley, it is affirmation that the Steelers have the best linebackers in the NFL.

"You go back and look at our numbers — and you can't argue with the numbers — what we've been doing since we've been together," the outside linebacker said Tuesday.

He won't get any objections from the Steelers.

After locking up Woodley to a long-term deal three weeks ago, they did the same with Lawrence Timmons Tuesday morning, signing the inside linebacker to a six-year, $50 million contract.

The contract, which includes $18 million in bonuses, is the third largest for a defensive player in Steelers history. The six-year, $61.5 million deal that Woodley received Aug. 5 is the highest, following by the six-year, $51.175 million contract that outside linebacker James Harrison signed in April 2009.

Timmons, 25, and Woodley, 26, are the youngest starters on the Steelers' defense. The two cornerstones were taken in the first and second round of the 2007 draft, respectively — coach Mike Tomlin's first with the Steelers.

Timmons, who had been going into the final year of his original deal, said Tomlin assured him early in training camp that the Steelers would get a long-term contract done with the 6-foot-1, 234-pounder.

"Mike Tomlin said he really wanted to keep me here," Timmons said. "I'm just so excited I'm here for six years. I can't express the feeling, just how this organization this."

The Steelers are equally excited because Timmons has been on the rise since his second season in 2008 when he provided depth at both inside and outside linebacker.

Timmons, one of the Steelers' most versatile and athletic players, led the team in tackles (135) last season, his second one as a starter. He recorded three sacks and intercepted two passes.

Timmons' goal this season is to reach double figures in sacks.

"That would probably free LaMarr and James and some of the other guys up," Timmons said. "I missed quite a few of them (in 2010). I've just got to finish my plays. If I do, that I think I'll be a pretty good linebacker."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VupaOtSV (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753037.html#ixzz1VupaOtSV)

DukieBoy
08-24-2011, 07:16 AM

Pappy

If only this stuff was just hyperbole.

williar
08-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I 'm not sure of the orgins of this Lott - Troy debate. All I will say is, I grew up watching Ronnie Lott. That guy was the TRUTH!!! BEAST!! MONSTER!! Whatever you want to call him. I know Jerry Rice was voted the NFL's best player. I won't argue with that. I don't know where Lott finished on that list, but he should have been number 2 after Rice.

Lott played like Mel Blount, Steve Atwater, Jack Tatum and Darelle Revis rolled into one. He was that fierce, but he wasn't dirty by no means. Lott is one of those handfull of players that is truly in a league by himself. I think Troy Polamaulu would even tell you that....

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Comparing Timmons Contract to Other Middle Linebackers

Posted on August 24, 2011 by adam

Following LaMarr Woodley’s contract extension earlier this summer a lot of us agreed that Lawrence Timmons, the player selected one round ahead of Woodley in 2007, should be the next player the Steelers target for a long-term deal. On Tuesday they signed him to a six-year, $50 million contract that also comes with $22.5 million in guaranteed money.

Here’s a quick look at how that compares to some other middle linebackers that have cashed in over the past couple of seasons, ranked in order of guaranteed money.

PLAYER YEARS DOLLARS GUARANTEED AGE DRAFT YEAR

David Harris 4 $36 million $29.5 million 26 2007
Patrick Willis 5 $50 million $29 million 25 2007
Jon Beason 5 $50 million $25 million 25 2007
Lawrence Timmons 6 $50 million $22.5 million 25 2007
Karlos Dansby 5 $43 million $22 million 29 2004
Bart Scott 6 $48 million $22 million 29 2002
Demeco Ryans 6 $48 million $21.75 million 26 2006

Seems like a pretty fair deal for the Steelers.

How many players on that list would you take over Timmons right now and into the future? Patrick Willis is the easy answer (because he’s probably better than every linebacker in the NFL), but other than that, would you take any of them?

Beyond that, a contract extension for a player like Timmons isn’t just about what he’s done in the past, but also what he will do going forward. And as the youngest starter on the Steelers defense (unless Ziggy Hood takes over for Aaron Smith) and one of the most dynamic middle linebackers in the NFL that can pretty much everything (cover, blitz, play against the run) it should have been an easy call to get this done and get it done now, because his price tag was only going to go up.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/c ... nebackers/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/comparing-timmons-contract-middle-linebackers/)