View Full Version : Steelers sign Essex

calmkiller
08-22-2011, 07:31 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11234/1169096-100.stm

Steelers sign veteran lineman Essex
Monday, August 22, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Steelers guard Trai Essex, left, at Steelers training camp in 2009.

Tackle Jonathan Scott's minor knee injury was enough to throw a scare into the Steelers because they re-signed tackle/guard Trai Essex today to a one-year contract.

Essex, who came to them as a tackle in the third round of the 2005 NFL draft, started 25 games, some at tackle, some at guard. He opened the 2009 season He won the job and started all 16 games at right guard in 2009 and opened last season there. However, he sprained an ankle in the second game, returned to start three more games at mid-season but then lost his starting job to Ramon Foster.

Essex became an unrestricted free agent this year.

Scott left Thursday night's game with a knee injury on the first play from scrimmage. There was no ligament damage to his knee but the Steelers have no experienced backups at tackle and there even has been talk of re-signing 36-year-old Flozell Adams.

The Steelers released first-year guard Nevin McCaskill to make room for Essex on the roster.

plainnasty
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I like Ed Bouchette's idea of using Essex as a blocking tight end.

Remedy at tight end?
The Steelers are not known to consider this, but, if they fail to convince 34-year-old Reggie Kelly to become their No. 2 tight end and if they feel squeamish about moving Johnson there or putting rookie Weslye Saunders there, a simple solution might be at hand -- re-sign Trai Essex as their No. 2 tight end.

Johnson did not look comfortable when they used him on the line of scrimmage against the Redskins. They love him at fullback and are trying to see if he can block adequately on a regular basis near the line of scrimmage.

Their second tight end rarely catches passes or runs routes. Matt Spaeth did little other than block except when Heath Miller did not play. So, why not just put a tackle at the No. 2 tight end spot?

They have used tackles, including Essex, in those positions on occasion, especially near the goal line. Other teams have done it. Baltimore does it with an unbalanced line. Essex need not learn all the routes Miller and Spaeth learned, and, if something were to happen to Miller, they would have to go to four and five wide-receiver sets more often.

It also does not have to be Essex. It could be Tony Hills or Chris Scott (if he is not the starting right guard). The No. 2 tight end virtually has been a tackle, so just put a tackle there and call him a tight end. Problem solved.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/11 ... z1VnwXHqit (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/1167323-66-0.stm#ixzz1VnwXHqit)

flippy
08-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Remedy at tight end?
The Steelers are not known to consider this, but, if they fail to convince 34-year-old Reggie Kelly to become their No. 2 tight end and if they feel squeamish about moving Johnson there or putting rookie Weslye Saunders there, a simple solution might be at hand -- re-sign Trai Essex as their No. 2 tight end.

Johnson did not look comfortable when they used him on the line of scrimmage against the Redskins. They love him at fullback and are trying to see if he can block adequately on a regular basis near the line of scrimmage.

Their second tight end rarely catches passes or runs routes. Matt Spaeth did little other than block except when Heath Miller did not play. So, why not just put a tackle at the No. 2 tight end spot?

They have used tackles, including Essex, in those positions on occasion, especially near the goal line. Other teams have done it. Baltimore does it with an unbalanced line. Essex need not learn all the routes Miller and Spaeth learned, and, if something were to happen to Miller, they would have to go to four and five wide-receiver sets more often.

It also does not have to be Essex. It could be Tony Hills or Chris Scott (if he is not the starting right guard). The No. 2 tight end virtually has been a tackle, so just put a tackle there and call him a tight end. Problem solved.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/11 ... z1VnwXHqit (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/1167323-66-0.stm#ixzz1VnwXHqit)

How bout screw BA's fascination with 2 TEs and put the best 11 on the field.

I'd rather see more of Antonio Brown than a #2 TE personally.

And remember, Hines blocks as well as most receiving TEs. Hines is our receiving TE and Heath is our blocking TE. Done. Seems simple to me.

Chadman
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Hahaha...

Imagine Essex at TE with Legursky at FB....talk about "Jumbo Package"...

plainnasty
08-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Remedy at tight end?

And remember, Hines blocks as well as most receiving TEs. Hines is our receiving TE and Heath is our blocking TE. Done. Seems simple to me.
I don't agree with BA's fascination either. I wouldn't open the game with 2 TEs, but in short yardage situations I would rather have Essex blocking than whoever will be our backup TE this year. Essex started at TE at Northwestern before moving to tackle so I imagine that he could catch a short pass if he had to also.

steelblood
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Essex is a fat slob, but he is passable as OT.

I think I would have preferred Max Starks, but there is obviously more to that story than we know.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Steelers Sign OL Trai Essex

by Neal Coolong on Aug 22, 2011

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1775492/76015_Steelers_Bills_Football.jpg

The Steelers announced Monday afternoon the signing of veteran OL Trai Essex. To make room, they waived rookie OG Nevin McCaskill.

Essex was signed to a one-year contract with no financial terms released. His career began in Pittsburgh in 2005 after being selected in the third round of the draft out of Northwestern.

While no other statement was made, the timing of Essex's re-joining the roster will fire up speculation on the health of projected starter Jonathan Scott, who has suffered multiple injuries this preseason.

He went down early in the Steelers' 24-14 win over Philadelphia in preseason Week 2, but MRI results were negative. Rookie T Marcus Gilbert replaced Scott against Philadelphia, but he went down with an injury as well. His MRI results were also negative.

Essex contributed to both of the Steelers Super Bowl teams in 2005 and 2008, and has been seen as a valuable back-up and spot-starter for Pittsburgh. He has played both guard and tackle positions previously, but likely will be seen as a back-up tackle in 2011.

The Steelers released veteran tackles Max Starks and Flozell Adams this offseason. They initially chose not to re-sign Essex.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/22/2378231/steelers-sign-ol-trai-essex#storyjump)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-23-2011, 03:20 AM

I think I would have preferred Max Starks, but there is obviously more to that story than we know.

I think that we do know the Starks story. Coming off of injury he sowed up at camp grossly out of shape.

And that....is the rest of the story.

steelblood
08-23-2011, 07:06 AM

I think that we do know the Starks story. Coming off of injury he sowed up at camp grossly out of shape.

And that....is the rest of the story.

That is why we cut him. I get that. The question is...why don't we bring him back on the cheap? Even if it takes him two-three months to get into peak physical condition, having a good LT on your bench is exactly what this team needs. But, there is absolutely no talk of bringing him back. Further, no other team seems to want to give him a chance. Gaither reportedly was out of shape and coming off a serious injury and he got two offers from other teams after being cut by the Ravens. Starks is in the prime of his career and has great experience (he's played in 3 Super Bowls and started for 6 seasons). He's also very smart and a great team guy. You'd think that some NFL team would want to bring him in. Something is up that we don't know.

Oviedo
08-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Remedy at tight end?

I don't agree with BA's fascination either. I wouldn't open the game with 2 TEs, but in short yardage situations I would rather have Essex blocking than whoever will be our backup TE this year. Essex started at TE at Northwestern before moving to tackle so I imagine that he could catch a short pass if he had to also.

It's pretty simple--the OL is not good enough to keep pass rushers off of Ben with just 5 blocking. I really have no issue with having an extra OT out there. Why not just eliminate the illusion that you are actually going to throw to your #2 TE (Ben never does) and get a good blocker out there.

The real issue comes in if Heath gets hurt. We are totally screwed then because David Johnson is a waste of a roster spot. I still think we need to get a #2 TE from somewhere.

ramblinjim
08-23-2011, 09:29 AM
I think it was Chadman that mentioned this:

Essex as the TE
Legursky in as Fullback with Mendenhall behind him.

An obvious running situation, the send Wallace and AB L-O-N-G off of play action.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Hmm...1 year with the injuries at LT. Guranteed if he is on the 53 opening day. If all are healthy at end of preseason...He could be cut.

Oviedo
08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I think it was Chadman that mentioned this:

Essex as the TE
Legursky in as Fullback with Mendenhall behind him.

An obvious running situation, the send Wallace and AB L-O-N-G off of play action.

I'm betting Hines would get the nod in that situation over Brown.

I think it is interesting this preseason how Hines has almost become the forgotten man as everyone becomes enamored with the new toys at WR. IMO Hines is still the most trusted WR on the team.

steeler_george
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Does that mean the end of Foster? If Hills truelly wins the RG spot. There is place on this roster for him, Essex being the swing tackle and guard and add in Leguarsky as the swing G/C.

flippy
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Hines has almost become the forgotten man as everyone becomes enamored with the new toys at WR. IMO Hines is still the most trusted WR on the team.

That's a funny reminder coming from the advocate for all young players and rookies ;)

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Trimmer Essex happy to be back

August 23rd, 2011
by Scott Brown

And back from our regularly scheduled earthquake to bring you this Trai Essex update…

The veteran offensive lineman is back after the Steelers were finally convinced that Essex had lost much of the weight he put on during the offseason.

Essex was pretty candid in saying that he nearly ate himself into football oblivion.

The Steelers, it turned out, saw just how big Essex had gotten when he attended Ben Roethlisberger’s wedding in late July.

“I had to take a look at myself and realize that if I want to play this game I’m going to have to be in shape,” Essex said today before his first practice back with the Steelers.

“They see there’s a huge difference between then and now and they knew I had spent some time losing weight.”

The 6-5 Essex, who is listed at 324 pounds, wouldn’t give a specific number as to how much weight he had shed. He did offer this gem: “It’s a significant amount. A couple of newborn babies.”

Essex, a third-round pick in 2005, said he changed his lifestyle. That meant cutting out night-time eating as well as McDonald’s and Burger King.

Essex, who is versatile enough to play tackle or guard, said he doesn’t know where the Steelers plan to play him. He is just happy to be playing period after getting a second chance with the Steelers.

“This never would have happened if I had put in the work,” Essex said. “It’s a good situation for both of us. They needed me to add depth and I’ve been here for six years so I know what I’m doing.”

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... o-be-back/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/08/23/trimmer-essex-happy-to-be-back/)

phillyesq
08-24-2011, 09:01 AM
You'd think that Essex would have learned years ago to cut out the fast food and to eat healthy. It amazes me that somebody can spend years as a professional athlete and not consider their diet.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
You'd think that Essex would have learned years ago to cut out the fast food and to eat healthy. It amazes me that somebody can spend years as a professional athlete and not consider their diet.

Welcome to the land of the Primanti's sandwiches and "O Fries" (both of which I ate when I was in town for the Iggles preseason game last week, by the way...at least it was a small fry, and I did share with another guy).

http://unbreaded.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/primanti-brothers.jpg

http://onlyinpgh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/small-child-vs-_O_-fries.jpg

birtikidis
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
especially a guy who ate himself out of TE position when he was in college.

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Wednesday news and notes

AUGUST 24, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

© Bruce Arians said today that Trai Essex, in addition to being capable of playing guard or tackle, is now the Steelers third center.

Everyone worried about that third center position can now rest easily.

The ability of Essex to play multiple positions, including center, which I had forgotten about, could help him lock up a roster spot, despite his late signing.

© David Johnson has locked up the No. 2 tight end position, according to Arians, but the No. 3 spot is wide open.

Ike Taylor is getting very close to returning to play, despite having a broken thumb.

Taylor won't play in this weekend's preaseason game against the Falcons, but he still working hard and will be ready to roll in the preseason.

© Former Steelers cornerback Jack Butler was nominated by the Hall of Fame senior committee for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Considering that no nominee by the senior committee has ever not made the hall, Butler is as good as in.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200709/20070923_009_330.jpg

Jack Butler, who joined the Steelers as an undrafted player in 1951, set a franchise record with 52 interceptions, a mark later broken by Hall of Famer Mel Blount.

Oviedo
08-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Wednesday news and notes

AUGUST 24, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

© Bruce Arians said today that Trai Essex, in addition to being capable of playing guard or tackle, is now the Steelers third center.

Everyone worried about that third center position can now rest easily.

The ability of Essex to play multiple positions, including center, which I had forgotten about, could help him lock up a roster spot, despite his late signing.

© David Johnson has locked up the No. 2 tight end position, according to Arians, but the No. 3 spot is wide open.

Ike Taylor is getting very close to returning to play, despite having a broken thumb.

Taylor won't play in this weekend's preaseason game against the Falcons, but he still working hard and will be ready to roll in the preseason.

© Former Steelers cornerback Jack Butler was nominated by the Hall of Fame senior committee for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Considering that no nominee by the senior committee has ever not made the hall, Butler is as good as in.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200709/20070923_009_330.jpg

Jack Butler, who joined the Steelers as an undrafted player in 1951, set a franchise record with 52 interceptions, a mark later broken by Hall of Famer Mel Blount.

David Johnson as the #2 TE is an absolute disaster. Matt Spaeth is a future HoFer compared to Johnson who can't block or catch. Pray a lot that Miller doesn't get hurt.

If Essex can handle it from a conditioning standpoint he is a good add to the OL.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM

I believe Bullet Bob Hayes needed to be nominated by the Senior committee twice before he was finally inducted.