PDA

View Full Version : Steelers WORST Nightmare has Happened!!!

insanesteelersfan
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
......Oh God! Not this Clown again!!

Steelers | Trai Essex re-signed
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:13:06 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have re-signed free-agent OL Trai Essex. Terms of the contract were not disclosed. In a corresponding move, the team waived OL Nevin McCaskill.

NorthCoast
08-22-2011, 06:48 PM
maybe not the worst nightmare....but yes, a nightmare if he needs to play left tackle at all.

RuthlessBurgher
08-22-2011, 06:52 PM
We had 2 tackles get hurt in the last game (not seriously, but still, it showed how little depth we had there). So we are bringing back a guy who has experience in this system playing tackle. My guess is that it is a minimal deal that Starks and Adams wouldn't be willing to accept at this point.

That's our worst nightmare? To borrow a line from Stripes that you overuse on this board...settle down, Francis! :wink:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
How about Hotel? Is it reasonable to expect someone else might sign him?

(Hawaiiansteeler in 3-2-1 ...)

Chadman
08-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Has Essex ever really sucked at LT?

I know he never proved to be much of a RG, but from memory, his starts at LT were never too bad. If he's the 'Swing Tackle'- I'm ok with that.

The starters are Scott & Colon anyway- regardless of who is signed.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM

I know he never proved to be much of a RG, but from memory, his starts at LT were never too bad. If he's the 'Swing Tackle'- I'm ok with that.

Chadman is not a Tony Hills believer? :Cheers :tt2 :tt1

Chadman
08-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Hills is a Guard now.... :tt2

To be honest- Essex plays so many positions, you could have him & Hills active on gameday & cover a multitude of back-up spots.

In all honesty- I'd rather Gilbert was the back-up LT...

flippy
08-22-2011, 08:44 PM

You beat me too it.

I hate Essex at G, but think he's pretty good at LT. He's more of a finesse guy and that didn't work out so well at Guard.

Chadman
08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah Flip- his whole 'thing' coming out of college was how light he was on his feet- sounds like a natural OT rather than an OG.

Given that the OL is rather young now, with inexperienced back-ups behind inexperienced starters (Scott, Scott Part 2, Pouncey...all 1 or 2 years starting- not exactly old heads), having a guy like Essex (who is well liked by his team mates, for what it's worth) around as a back-up isn't the world's worst idea.

Va Steelr
08-22-2011, 09:00 PM
:Agree

Chadman
08-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah Flip- his whole 'thing' coming out of college was how light he was on his feet- sounds like a natural OT rather than an OG.

Given that the OL is rather young now, with inexperienced back-ups behind inexperienced starters (Scott, Scott Part 2, Pouncey...all 1 or 2 years starting- not exactly old heads), having a guy like Essex (who is well liked by his team mates, for what it's worth) around as a back-up isn't the world's worst idea.

fezziwig
08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
It's a security deposit for our offensive line. I too never thought Essex was horrrible at tackle but he did seem to look like a revolving door at times wheil playing guard.

MaxAMillion
08-22-2011, 09:30 PM
How is signing a reserve lineman something that should be considered the Steelers worst nightmare?

birtikidis
08-22-2011, 10:21 PM
You bastard. I instantly thought Ben was done for the year. This is like getting a zit on prom night. It isn't a big deal. At least you didn't cut your D!ck off.

DukieBoy
08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
You bastard. I instantly thought Ben was done for the year. This is like getting a zit on prom night. It isn't a big deal. At least you didn't cut your D!ck off.

:lol: :Beer :tt1

eniparadoxgma
08-22-2011, 11:02 PM

lmao x2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

flippy
08-22-2011, 11:28 PM

lmao x2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought it must have been Ben or Troy. I was so relieved when it was about Essex I forgot I was worried.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2011, 11:44 PM
How do you know?

birtikidis
08-22-2011, 11:50 PM
How do you know?
I was speaking metaphorically. the zit is bad on prom night, but cutting your d!ck off on prom night is worse.
zit = Essex
cutting your d!ck off would be like losing Ben

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 02:32 AM
At least you didn't cut your D!ck off.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0803/practice-makes-perfect-practice-wenies-funny-cut-demotivational-poster-1206069000.jpghttp://binside.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/25/aa2.jpg

Keyplay1
08-24-2011, 04:41 AM
I;m sort of getting the impression that Steeler Nation is not exactly thrilled to estatic proportions by this event. :) :)

Actually, he can be effective as an experienced backup for short periods of time. It seemed to me that he played very well for a few weeks then seemed to tail off. If he should be forced into a starting role for any length of time that would not be good.

I don't usually pay much attention to the OL. Most of us casual fans just watch the ball anyway. But, it does seem that there should be some concern there. I mean they started the season with Max Starks and Flozell Adams last year. And replaced them with Jonathan Scott probably, and Willie Colon this year. Last year Chris K. started at LG. Is he still not available. Last year Ramon Foster was the designated plugin at RG. He seemed to do surprisingly well there but now a couple or three others seem to be getting the job, which is fine of course if they are better

Uh there is a possibility that the Steelers go into this season with only one starter from last years starting OL available to start this year. Isn't this a bit odd.

Now more likely than not, the Steelers are better off now. I mean, all the players left are very good but it does seem a bit unusual that this much change is good. Nonetheless, it seems that it is. Still, it is a little odd.