PDA

View Full Version : Larry Fitzgerald,,,,Cha-Ching!!

insanesteelersfan
08-20-2011, 08:58 PM
...Man, did he get his Cash.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... cardinals/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/20/larry-fitzgerald-gets-50-million-guarantee-from-cardinals/)

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 09:28 PM
this could hurt the Steelers in their negotiations with Mike Wallace...

insanesteelersfan
08-20-2011, 09:33 PM
this could hurt the Steelers in their negotiations with Mike Wallace...

Well he can't ask for more. Or anything really close. However, if Wallace has even a better season this his third season. And it's better then Fitz is, who knows what Mike's agent will want. I hope we get him extended before next season.

papillon
08-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Mike Wallace isn't even in the same zip code as Larry Fitzgerald as a receiver, another big year or not. If Wallace wants 120 million and 50 million guaranteed, he won't be a Steeler.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
08-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Mike Wallace isn't even in the same zip code as Larry Fitzgerald as a receiver, another big year or not. If Wallace wants 120 million and 50 million guaranteed, he won't be a Steeler.

Pappy

Really ? Not in the same Zip code ? Hmm, Lets see. Fitz in his first 2 seasons had...161 total catches for 2,189 Yds and 18TD's. For a average of just over 13 Yds a catch.

Mike Wallace in his first 2 seasons has had 99 total catches for 2,013 Yds, and 16 TD's. Averaging well over 20 Yds a catch. And Wallace, unlike Fitz was NOT the 3rd overall ;pick in the draft. Fitzgerald got his starters spot from day one. As where Mike only started his second season. And in that second season had to have the WORST QB's in all of the NFL tossing him the ball the first 4 games.

But yet you say Wallace isn't nowhere near Fitz Zip code ? I kinda disagree with that one. No Mike Is not Fitzgerald. But, if Mike has a 3rd year of say over 1400 Yds and 12 TD's...I'd say Mike will then be living right accross the street talent wise with Fitz.

flippy
08-20-2011, 11:24 PM
In fairness, Mike runs about 5 routes and really is a one trick pony at this point, so it's hard to say he's got half the skillset of the elite receivers like Fitz right now.

You have to see there's a ton of work for Mike to become a better WR at this point. He's just a raw athlete with amazing speed at this point.

But at the same time, Mike's especially amazing blowing by people even when they expect it.

At the end of the day, I don't want to see the Steelers overpaying for a WR. It's really not worth it. I'll take Ward, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, and Grisham next year if we had to and spend more money of the defensive side of the ball or even on the Oline before the WRs.

Great QBs can work with average WRs and make it work.

Look at the guys Marino and Elway had to work with. Some above average guys, but not superstars. The greats can work with anyone with a little talent. Ben especially so with his ability to lengthen plays.

papillon
08-20-2011, 11:30 PM

Pappy

Really ? Not in the same Zip code ? Hmm, Lets see. Fitz in his first 2 seasons had...161 total catches for 2,189 Yds and 18TD's. For a average of just over 13 Yds a catch.

Mike Wallace in his first 2 seasons has had 99 total catches for 2,013 Yds, and 16 TD's. Averaging well over 20 Yds a catch. And Wallace, unlike Fitz was NOT the 3rd overall ;pick in the draft. Fitzgerald got his starters spot from day one. As where Mike only started his second season. And in that second season had to have the WORST QB's in all of the NFL tossing him the ball the first 4 games.

But yet you say Wallace isn't nowhere near Fitz Zip code ? I kinda disagree with that one. No Mike Is not Fitzgerald. But, if Mike has a 3rd year of say over 1400 Yds and 12 TD's...I'd say Mike will then be living right accross the street talent wise with Fitz.

Wallace isn't anywhere near the receiver Fitz is right now. Fitzgerald didn't get 120 million with 50 million guaranteed after his second or third season and neither will Wallace. If he wants that kind of change he'll be getting it from another team. I hope Wallace has a 7 year start like Fitzgerald, with 6 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons (I know one was about 960 close enough to call it 1,000.) that only helps the Steelers. Right now, I want to see Wallace to start the catch ball in his hands more, begin to highpoint it better, and get open when Ben needs him and he'll have another successful year.

Mike has a ways to go before he's living across the street from Fitzgerald.

Just for comparison purposes Fitzgerald had Josh Mcown and Shaun King for his rookie year, then Warner for 10 and Mcown for 6, and then Matt Leinart for 11 and Warner for 5. Wallace has had Ben for 28 out of his first 32 games and barring major injury he'll have Ben for 44 out of 48 games after three years; I think Wallace is the beneficiary in the quarterback deal during their first 2 - 3 years in the league.

Wallace isn't Fitzgerald, it's okay, he's a good receiver and getting better.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2011, 01:38 AM
As usual, devil will be in details of Fitzgerald deal

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/fitzap-e1313899770502.jpg?w=246

The basic numbers were eye-popping. Eight years, $120 million with $50 million guaranteed for a receiver who’ll turn 28 in 10 days. That’s an average of $15 million per year, a huge jump over Larry Fitzgerald’s previous high-water mark of $10 million annually, which he set three years ago — and which others have claimed to have duplicated but only have imitated.

And so like those other deals that originally were breathlessly reported as being worth $10 million per year but ultimately weren’t (e.g., Brandon Marshall), we’ll believe that the Cardinals are paying Fitzgerald a firm $15 million per year once we’ve had a chance to digest the details of the deal.

Maybe they are. They’ve already broken the bank once for the one of the top receivers in the game. But if the bar for wideouts suddenly has been bumped up by 50 percent, what will other receivers want to be paid?

With guys like DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, and Calvin Johnson closing in on their veteran contracts and with guys like Reggie Wayne and perhaps Andre Johnson (after he sees the Fitz deal) wanting new ones, things could get very interesting, very soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rald-deal/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/21/as-usual-devil-will-be-in-details-of-fitzgerald-deal/)

sentinel33
08-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Don't see how this can be a good thing.

Now WR's get paid like QB's...?

If the salarys for these players continues to skyrocket, will the league continue to raise the cap to accomodate?

don't get me wrong. I'm happy for Larry. I just don't ssee how this is good any other way.

fezziwig
08-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Paying one player like that doesn't do well for a teams future. They should have spent the money on a guy that can actually get the ball to their receivers.

I don't think any receivers are worth that kind of coin but that's just me. You don't need a mega money receiver to be on top. It sure does help to have an extreme receiver but you still need a QB that can get him the ball.

If that kind of money is required to maintain Wallce someday then, it should be time to say goodbye to Wallace.

Slapstick
08-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Cool...then the Steelers should pay Mike Wallace the same salary that Fitzgerald was paid in his 3rd season...that would be fair...

birtikidis
08-21-2011, 12:34 PM

Pappy

i love mike wallace, but he has a franchise qb in the prime of his career.. what did fitz have those first two years?

D Rock
08-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Wallace should maybe get about 6 mil per if he has another year like last year.

sign a 4 or 5 year deal, then if he does great all those years, maybe he can think about getting a Fitz-like contract.

ikestops85
08-21-2011, 12:53 PM
With guys like DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, and Calvin Johnson closing in on their veteran contracts and with guys like Reggie Wayne and perhaps Andre Johnson (after he sees the Fitz deal) wanting new ones, things could get very interesting, very soon.

It's quotes like the above that might save us some dollars with Wallace. For some reason he does not get the respect that the above mentioned receivers do and I think he is better than the first two and not far behind the 3rd one mentioned.

Wallace has a bright future and hopefully the veterans on the team can convince him to stay with the Steelers. I love the guy and think he is the next star receiver for us.

fezziwig
08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
By that time Sander and Brown might be enough for the team that they would be happy having them and allowing Wallce to go to the highest bidder.

steelz09
08-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Pappy

:Agree

Wallace isn't even as good as Holmes currently as an all-around WR. Wallace is still one dimensional for the most part. He can run by any CB in the game, I'll give him that. He is an awesome deep threat due to his speed. But he's not an all around WR just yet.

We'll see this year.

hawaiiansteel
08-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Larry Fitzgerald is a great player and an even better person.

however, there is no way you pay a WR that kind of money.

NorthCoast
08-22-2011, 07:00 PM
So in an average season catching 100 balls, Mr. Fitzgerald rakes in $150,000 per catch....not a bad living if you ask me....and I think Bolden actually made some of the tougher catches opposite Fitz.