PDA

View Full Version : New kickoff rules - my 2 cents

steelnavy
08-20-2011, 05:58 PM
While I can buy into trying to find ways to protect the players from injury and extend their careers, this kickoff into the endzone every time sucks.

How about if you score a TD, you get to kick off from the 35 as a reward for getting 7, and if you only score a field goal, you have to kick from the 30? That would decrease the number of touchbacks from the current levels while keeping it higher than previous years, which is a nice compromise between the two.

TallyStiller
08-20-2011, 11:14 PM
New rules will reward the way the Steelers play football. The keep the play in front of you, don't get beat deep, force them to string together 12 or 14 plays without a mistake in the face of up front pressure style of D works better with 80 yards to go than with 60 or 70. We used to get absolutely KILLED in hidden yardage with other teams' average drive starts well out past the 30 due to Jeff Reed's short kickoffs, while we'd be lucky NOT to start in the 20's somewhere. Take away a 10 yard disadvantage every time there's a kickoff play, and ballgames are easier to win.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-20-2011, 11:29 PM
New rules will reward the way the Steelers play football. The keep the play in front of you, don't get beat deep, force them to string together 12 or 14 plays without a mistake in the face of up front pressure style of D works better with 80 yards to go than with 60 or 70. We used to get absolutely KILLED in hidden yardage with other teams' average drive starts well out past the 30 due to Jeff Reed's short kickoffs, while we'd be lucky NOT to start in the 20's somewhere. Take away a 10 yard disadvantage every time there's a kickoff play, and ballgames are easier to win.

I agree with Tally, IMO it's almost like it was written for a LeBeau defense.

chiken
08-22-2011, 06:25 AM
I can recall a ton of games where we would crush a team Defensively but because of the hidden yardage they were always "close" enough.

Look for us to break the fewest points allowed record now.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Look for us to break the fewest points allowed record now.

Not with this defensive backfield.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2011, 10:28 AM
While I can buy into trying to find ways to protect the players from injury and extend their careers, this kickoff into the endzone every time sucks.

How about if you score a TD, you get to kick off from the 35 as a reward for getting 7, and if you only score a field goal, you have to kick from the 30? That would decrease the number of touchbacks from the current levels while keeping it higher than previous years, which is a nice compromise between the two.

I like that idea.

ikestops85
08-22-2011, 11:58 AM

I like that idea.

I do also. I think it's very creative. :Clap

birtikidis
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

so as soon as the NFL sees that it benefits the steelers, the rule will change.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2011, 07:54 PM

so as soon as the NFL sees that it benefits the steelers, the rule will change.
:Agree

flippy
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
What would be really cool would be if you score 3 pts, you kickoff from your own endzone. That would incentivize going for it on 4th down more often when your on the opponent's side of the field and would eliminate every game coming down to a darn FG.

That way if you kick a FG to win it at the end of the game, the other team is essentially in FG range on the next play.

It would force teams to play to win rather than playing Patsie ball and relying on your kicker as your team MVP to win you 3 SuperBowls.

Football would get back to being football.

I hate when games are decided by the one unathletic guy on the field.

fezziwig
08-22-2011, 09:26 PM

Excellent notion and I had the same thoughts when I started to see these guys just make it to the 20 yard line.