PDA

View Full Version : Terrelle Pryor has his workout, and Steelers attend

insanesteelersfan
08-20-2011, 01:51 PM
....As did ALOT of other NFL teams scouts. But what was a little surprising is that Head Coach Mike Tomlin personally attended the workout. Hmm, I wonder if the steelers have a little more interest then some here thought.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-workout/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/20/big-turnout-for-pryor-workout/)

However, I still think a " Mavrick " team like the Bengals, or Raiders, or even the Redskins will draft this kid alot higher then is what expected, which is a very late round pick, like the 5th or 6th round. I think one of the above teams might use a 3rd rounder on Pryor. And no way do the Steelers do that.

insanesteelersfan
08-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Pryor's 40 yard time...around 4.41

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-fast-40/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/20/pryor-runs-a-fast-40/)

mshifko
08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
tomlin loses nothing by attending. might as well keep all your options open. crazier things have happened.

Jigawatts
08-20-2011, 03:02 PM
tomlin loses nothing by attending. might as well keep all your options open. crazier things have happened.

shifko!

steelfin
08-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Converted WR or slash role???

RuthlessBurgher
08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
If the workout was in Oregon or New Mexico or whereever, then I highly doubt that Tomlin and Colbert take the time to go see this. But since the workout is in Pittsburgh, why not?

insanesteelersfan
08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
If the workout was in Oregon or New Mexico or whereever, then I highly doubt that Tomlin and Colbert take the time to go see this. But since the workout is in Pittsburgh, why not?

I don't care if the workout is in Pittsburgh, you do not attend unless you have some interest in possibly selecting that player....period. There have been several past drafts where not one single Rep of the Steelers attended the Pitt Panthers pro day. In fact, alot of them. That's because the players that particular draft the steelers had no interest in. A pro Coach just two weeks before the start of the season is NOT short of things to do. So you don't WASTE 5 to 6 hours attending a Workout for a player you wouldn't have interest in.

steelz09
08-20-2011, 05:17 PM
heck ya... a converted WR w/ the potential for some trick plays.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I was very surprised to read that the Bengals and Raiders attended Pryor's workout, I would have surely thought they would be too worried about Terrelle's character concerns.

DukieBoy
08-20-2011, 06:51 PM
I was very surprised to read that the Bengals and Raiders attended Pryor's workout, I would have surely thought they would be too worried about Terrelle's character concerns.

Maybe they just wanted to see a beautiful city, get a Primanti's or a fish sandwich at Wholeys, catch the Bucs, ride the incline, drink some Iron, all that stuff.

Oh yeah, and see 6 Lombardi's all in one place.

Shawn
08-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I stick to my guns that because of his athleticism alone he is worth a 4th rounder every day of the week. 6 foot 6 has been clocked in the sub 4.4 range and runs with power. Honestly, I haven't seen that combination of size, speed and strength in a long time if ever. Even though I don't believe he can be a NFL QB, using him in wildcat, specialty packages, as a back up QB and trying him at wide out is worth a 4th round risk.

Shoe
08-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I think he will get drafted higher than people are saying, if those computer numbers are accurate. As said, 6'6" with 4.41 speed don't come along too often. He obviously would need lots of work in either case (WR or QB), but given his MAJOR college experience, his obvious athleticism, and his potential as a QB, I think that's worthy of a "first day" draft choice.

Not for us mind you. :Blah

Oviedo
08-20-2011, 08:35 PM
If he doesn't come into the league as a WR then...no thanks!!!

He can take Arnez Battle's position as the last WR. He will be useless as a QB.

insanesteelersfan
08-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I think he will get drafted higher than people are saying, if those computer numbers are accurate. As said, 6'6" with 4.41 speed don't come along too often. He obviously would need lots of work in either case (WR or QB), but given his MAJOR college experience, his obvious athleticism, and his potential as a QB, I think that's worthy of a "first day" draft choice.

Not for us mind you. :Blah

A " First Day " draft choice ?.....Dude, I GUARANTEE you no team is spending their 1st rounder on T.Pryor :lol: :lol: :lol: And that IS...a First Day draft choice. Cause the draft, for the past 2 years, the first day is ONLY the first round...so I guess you meant a team will give up their 2012 1st rounder for Pryor...right ?

flippy
08-20-2011, 08:36 PM
We need a #2 TE.

Sugar
08-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Hines and ARE were QB's at one point too. If he came cheap enough it would be worth the experiment. The fact is that somebody will overpay just like they did for Russell, Newton and Tebow- Pryor wasn't as good a QB as any of them in College.

Mick'sTeam
08-21-2011, 07:39 AM
John Clayton reported on ESPN radio yesterday that the Steelers are very interested & are one of three teams most likely to try & get him. He commented on how Dixon is in the last year of his contract & how Pryor would be cheaper & a potential upgrade over Dixon. Personally, with his size & athleticism, he's worth a shot.

steelfin
08-21-2011, 08:03 AM
I would be for it as long as Pryor is willing to play WR and/or a slash role....But if we are giving up a higher pick for him at QB....I don't think it would be worth it.

Va Steelr
08-21-2011, 09:30 AM
:Agree

Shawn
08-21-2011, 09:44 AM
John Clayton reported on ESPN radio yesterday that the Steelers are very interested & are one of three teams most likely to try & get him. He commented on how Dixon is in the last year of his contract & how Pryor would be cheaper & a potential upgrade over Dixon. Personally, with his size & athleticism, he's worth a shot.

Let me say this about Pryor...he was VERY rough coming out of HS. He wasn't much of a passer...even though he was rated #1 in the nation. That's how good he is at running the ball. His passing has improved every year he was with the Buckeyes. The guy can throw a ball. What he lacks is ability to break down D's with his mind. He breaks them down with his legs. I don't think he will be an elite passer in the NFL. But, I do believe he could be a good passer in the NFL with good coaching and time.

As for wideout...if he is willing...he has intangibles that greatly excite me. He has the speed to take the top off of coverage, the power to go underneath break some tackles and take it for 6.

If the Steelers want Pryor I believe they are going to have to give up a 3rd for him. I don't think he makes it to late 4.

Oviedo
08-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Let me say this about Pryor...he was VERY rough coming out of HS. He wasn't much of a passer...even though he was rated #1 in the nation. That's how good he is at running the ball. His passing has improved every year he was with the Buckeyes. The guy can throw a ball. What he lacks is ability to break down D's with his mind. He breaks them down with his legs. I don't think he will be an elite passer in the NFL. But, I do believe he could be a good passer in the NFL with good coaching and time.

As for wideout...if he is willing...he has intangibles that greatly excite me. He has the speed to take the top off of coverage, the power to go underneath break some tackles and take it for 6.

If the Steelers want Pryor I believe they are going to have to give up a 3rd for him. I don't think he makes it to late 4.

I think someone before the Steelers will take him in Round 3. He won't likely be available to us to even consider, but as I said before for me it is WR or nothing. He has the chance to be a very good Pro WR with a long career or a career back up QB

RuthlessBurgher
08-21-2011, 10:43 AM
One thing to consider here is that the 3rd "emergency" QB rule is no more. Starting this season, there isn't a 45 man gameday roster with a 3rd QB dressed as a 46th guy who cannot enter the game until the 4th quarter, or else the top 2 QB's are not allowed to reenter the game at all. Now they just allow a 46 man gameday roster regardless of position. So if we drafted Pryor, and kept him as our 3rd QB behind Ben and Byron, he could potentially be used for trick plays and the like throughout the game (after his 5 game suspension of course), without having to worry about that stupid emergency QB rule. I'd only be happy if we used a day 3 pick to get him, though. Even with all that athleticism, I wouldn't use a future prime pick for this kind of project.

ikestops85
08-21-2011, 10:47 AM
I would like to know whether he can catch before I would want to use a pick to get him. We just cut a tall, athletic wide receiver that couldn't catch.

Slapstick
08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Pryor did have a TD catch on a trick play with the Buckeyes...

I can only say that he looked good on that particular play...he caught the ball with his hands and high-pointed very well, IIRC...

AkronSteel
08-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Pryor played quite a bit of WR in the Fiesta Bowl against Texas his freshman year. He has big hands and good athleticism. I could see him being a 3rd QB / trick play kinda guy for the Steelers as he progresses at his original position. The guy has a fantastic arm but his mechanics are terrible and he always tends to throw off his back foot. The guy could be a dangerous weapon in the NFL, maybe he would give the Steelers their own version of the wildcat?

insanesteelersfan
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I think this is a mute point anyways cause like I said, a team like the Raiders, or the Bengals, or even the Skins will select Pryor, and select him probably in the 3rd round. No way will Pittsburgh ever use that high of a pick with his type of Character Issues, and bad Intangables. As far as him being an Athlete. Yes, Pryor has straight line speed. Kinda like Taylor Mays. But, all you have to do is look at Pryor in the open field, and you can see he has no lateral quickness at all. He's not the darting, side to side quickness type of Athlete that say Michael Vick was coming out. As for his WR skills, he has never played the position. Hines and El both played it in college, Hines especially. And really, at 6ft, 6, 232 Lbs, running a 4.41,,which was his OFFICIAL time is NOT all that. Yes it is fast. But remember, there have been 6ft, 5, 265 Lb TE's coming out of the draft who ran in the low 4.3 forty range, and had 70 + catches the season before who weren't even drafted!!!

Hell I got 6 brothers on my block right now who can easily run under a 9 second 100 meters.....why not just sign them :roll:

Slapstick
08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Randle El NEVER played WR in college, with the exception of trick plays...

The first time he really worked out at WR was at the Senior Bowl...

Shawn
08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
I think this is a mute point anyways cause like I said, a team like the Raiders, or the Bengals, or even the Skins will select Pryor, and select him probably in the 3rd round. No way will Pittsburgh ever use that high of a pick with his type of Character Issues, and bad Intangables. As far as him being an Athlete. Yes, Pryor has straight line speed. Kinda like Taylor Mays. But, all you have to do is look at Pryor in the open field, and you can see he has no lateral quickness at all. He's not the darting, side to side quickness type of Athlete that say Michael Vick was coming out. As for his WR skills, he has never played the position. Hines and El both played it in college, Hines especially. And really, at 6ft, 6, 232 Lbs, running a 4.41,,which was his OFFICIAL time is NOT all that. Yes it is fast. But remember, there have been 6ft, 5, 265 Lb TE's coming out of the draft who ran in the low 4.3 forty range, and had 70 + catches the season before who weren't even drafted!!!

Hell I got 6 brothers on my block right now who can easily run under a 9 second 100 meters.....why not just sign them :roll:

I would agree with some of that assessment. But, which TE had that kind of size, production and ran low official 4.3 40's...let alone multiple TEs? They may have escaped my notice.

I would agree Pryor is a straight line runner, has straight line speed and doesn't have a ton of wiggle. I would argue however he has enough open field elusiveness to be quite effective. When you couple that with his ability to run with power (his stiff arm is brutal) I believe he has some unique intangibles which make him worth the risk. I would be VERY comfortable using a 4th rounder on him.

flippy
08-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Why can't he bulk up a little in a year or 2 and be a TE? I really see that as his ultimate position in the NFL.

Everyone's talking about this guy as a QB or WR.

Why not a TE?

BradshawsHairdresser
08-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Why can't he bulk up a little in a year or 2 and be a TE? I really see that as his ultimate position in the NFL.

Why not a TE?

Why not a CB? :lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Why not a TE?

I'll bet Terrelle Pryor has never been asked to block anyone in his entire life.

steelz09
08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
I could see Pryor playing WR but I doubt he'd want to convert a TE especially in our system that uses TEs more for blocking than catching.

Captain Lemming
08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Sure the guy is 6.6 and runs a sub 4.4 straight line 40.

He was a college QB, some of you are obsessed with the guy as a receiver.....wait....have I been sent back in time......ISNT IT 2005?

We are talking about Matt Jones right???????????

DukieBoy
08-21-2011, 09:39 PM
I suppose, that at this point, Pryor's identity is such that he sees himself as a QB, and his ego is tied to that identity. Seems that it would be quite a challenge for him to let go of that until he proves to himself that he can or cannot be a competent NFL QB. And it might difficult to commit fully to another position until he fully gives himself to it. The determination that makes athletes great also can cloud realities (I think of all the athletes who quit far to late). Probably I'm stating the obvious here, though I think it is significant. I would not want to sign a player and a position of this magnitude if I suspected they would be greatly dissatisfied.

I was not impressed with Pryor's passing in the few games I watched. Shawn must have a well-based opinion on Pryor as a QB prospect.

Any concerns about lateral speed or quickness as a receiver are more than balanced by his great size, speed, and incredible athleticism. If he was willing to catch the ball rather than throw it, the potential is worth the risk. Mentoring by Hines and Jerricho coud benefit him greatly. He could get all the adulation he could ever reasonably want if he was a successful WR in the Burgh.

hawaiiansteel
08-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Alright, Who Wants Terrelle Pryor?

Posted on August 21, 2011 by ryan

There were rumors when Michael Vick was released from prison two years ago. The same thing happened when Plaxico Burress got out of the joint this summer. And now, a day after Terrelle Pryor’s pro day, and in anticipation of this week’s NFL Supplemental Draft, there are murmurs that the Steelers could be interested.

In general, I tend to dismiss such silliness because, well, most of the time people don’t know what they’re talking about. Remember all the “Tomlin and Tiki Barber are BFF’s and that’s why Pittsburgh will sign a washed-up, 36-year-old locker room cancer!” talk? Baron Batch blew out his knee two weeks ago and to date Tiki has had one workout (with the Dolphins) and no contract. You can do the 53-man-roster math on that one. (I’ve written many words about why Tiki-to-the-Burgh wasn’t happening.)

Here’s the latest on Pryor, who’s from Jeannette, PA, about an hour from Pittsburgh.

Via CBSSports.com‘s Chris Adamski: ”Former Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor was spotted visiting the Steelers’ facility Sunday on the eve of the Supplemental Draft. Steelers QB Charlie Batch has served as a mentor and advisor for Pryor dating back to when he was a high school phenom..”

And this: ”Team officials were mum on Pryor, who was seen walking into and out of the Steelers’ practice facility Sunday. But WR Antonio Brown is friends with the former Ohio State QB. ‘This process has been long and really stressful for him,’ Brown said. ‘I’m glad he had an amazing pro day… physically a beast; he’s big, strong, fast. He’s a great quarterback.’”

I watched highlights of Pryor’s workout on NFL Network, but I also saw Omar Jacobs highlights shortly after the Steelers drafted him. Going solely on that, Jacobs should already be in the hall of fame.

The point: highlights don’t mean jack. More than that, even if Pryor is a once-in-a-lifetime player (he’s not), I don’t know how the Steelers would squeeze him onto the roster.

Ted went into painstaking detail about how the 53-man roster will shake out. And while there are needs at cornerback and tackle, Pryor is neither. On a good day he’s a WR hybrid; on acid he might be a backup NFL QB. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson’s character in As Good as it Gets, “Sell crazy someplace else, we’re all stocked up here.”

In 2009, Tomlin promptly diffused any Vick-to-Pittsburgh talk (Tomlin and Vick grew up the same area in southeastern Virginia): “In terms of [the Steelers being interested in Vick], to be quite honest with you, our quarterback is going through some things of his own right now, and he needs my complete support and undivided attention,” Tomlin told Deion Sanders in an interview with NFL Network. “So it just wasn’t the appropriate time for us to consider something of that nature.”

I figured we hear similar sentiments from Tomlin regarding Plax this offseason. Instead, the Steelers had Burress in for a visit and would’ve happily signed him for the right price. I love Plax, but luckily for Pittsburgh, the Jets gave Burress $3 million to come to New York. It allowed the Steelers to sign Jerricho Cotchery, cut Limas (which was inevitable no matter who the team did or didn’t sign), and build the passing offense around Wallace, Brown and Sanders.

So would the team draft Pryor?

I have no earthly idea why they’d do it. They rightly passed on Vick, and while I didn’t think Plax fit the Steelers’ offense (and I wasn’t alone), I understand why Tomlin was intrigued. I see no upside to drafting Pryor. He’s not a quarterback, he’s never played any other position, and he’d likely end up on the 53-man roster only to sport Duce Staley memorial game-day sweats.

So, yes, I’ll pass. As, I suspect, will the Steelers. Luckily, word on the street is the the Browns are very interested.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/a ... #more-6073 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/alright-terrelle-pryor/#more-6073)

fordfixer
08-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Former OSU standout Terrelle Pryor meets with Steelers
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 22, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 52704.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752704.html)

Sunday featured another long practice at the Steelers' South Side facility as well as a little intrigue.

Roughly 90 minutes after a two-a-half hour practice ended, former Ohio State and Jeannette standout Terrelle Pryor visited the Steelers at their team headquarters.

Pryor will be selected in today's NFL supplemental draft, and the question the Steelers have to answer is how much they are willing to give up for the former Buckeyes quarterback.

The team that selects Pryor forfeits the corresponding pick in the 2012 draft. The supplemental draft order is the same as the 2011 draft, meaning the Steelers pick near the bottom of every round.

Drew Rosenhaus, Pryor's agent, has said Pryor is a "first-round talent," but opinions vary on where he will go in the draft.

Pryor is a developmental quarterback -- if that is position he even plays at the next level. His size and athleticism coupled with his raw quarterback skills have fueled speculation that Pryor will be moved to another position.

"He's physically a beast," said Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown, who trained with Pryor during the offseason and shares an agent with him. "He's big, strong, fast. He's a great quarterback."

Pryor held his Pro Day on Saturday at Hempfield High School, and both Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin attended it. Afterwards, Pryor, a three-year starter in Columbus, told teams he wants to play quarterback in the NFL.

"But I also said because I'm so far behind, if you want me to do some things and get on the field where I play quarterback or somewhere else, if you feel that it's best to win. I'm all about winning," Pryor said Saturday.

Hosting a local draft prospect is anything but out of the ordinary for the Steelers. They make it a point to familiarize themselves most with draft-eligible players in their area.

The 6-foot-5, 231-pound Pryor has ties to Steelers beyond his hometown's proximity to Pittsburgh.

Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch mentors Pryor, and Pryor spent the offseason working on his throwing mechanics and other fundamentals with Ken Anderson.

Anderson served as Tomlin's first quarterbacks coach, from 2007-09, before retiring. Tomlin has known Pryor since the latter was in high school.

The Steelers already have four quarterbacks on their roster, though Dennis Dixon could be a candidate to go because he can become an unrestricted free agent after this season and wants a chance to win a starting job. Batch, meanwhile, is 36 and entering his 14th NFL season.

New guidelines, per the collective bargaining agreements signed earlier this month, may encourage teams to keep a third quarterback who is athletic enough to run the wildcat offense or serve in a "Slash" role, similar to what former Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart did early in his career.

Teams no longer have to designate a third or emergency quarterback on game day. That means a third quarterback can play without compromising the eligibility of the other signal-callers on the active roster.

In past years, the top two quarterbacks were not allowed to return to the game if the third-stringer played.

Whichever team selects Pryor has team to figure out exactly what it wants to do with one of the most decorated athletes ever to come out of western Pennsylvania.

Pryor has to serve a five-game suspension at the start of the regular season. He would have served the same sentence, for violating NCAA rules, had he stayed for his senior season at Ohio State.

Pryor, who won't count against a 53-man roster until after the first five games of the season, and four others were punished for selling memorabilia. Those transgressions led Pryor to leave Ohio State in May, though the NFL didn't approve his entry into the supplemental draft until Thursday.

"I'm excited for him," Brown said. "This process has been long and really stressful for him. I'm glad he had an amazing Pro Day."

Brown did question, laughingly, the time (4.38 seconds) that Pryor posted in the 40-yard dash.

"I think they must have had some bad clocks out there," he said.

Read more: Former OSU standout Terrelle Pryor meets with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VjnpXWZ2 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752704.html#ixzz1VjnpXWZ2)

phillyesq
08-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Sure the guy is 6.6 and runs a sub 4.4 straight line 40.

He was a college QB, some of you are obsessed with the guy as a receiver.....wait....have I been sent back in time......ISNT IT 2005?

We are talking about Matt Jones right???????????

When I saw those numbers, Matt Jones was immediately the name that came to mind.

No thanks on Prior. He's an egotistical turd with immense bust potential.

feltdizz
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Not sure if Pryor is an egotistical turd or just another big time college athlete taking advantage of the system put in place by the college he attended.

At the end of the day the kid sold his own jewelry and drove a few rented cars.

It would be foolish for a 6'6" kid with 4.4 speed and a decent arm to give up his dreams of being an NFL QB. Half the backup QB's in the NFL right now aren't as talented as Pryor.

Oviedo
08-22-2011, 08:50 AM
This is what has me thinking that maybe a Round 3 pick is worth it to get him as a developmental WR. His upside as a WR is big!!!! As a QB not so much!!!!

Afterwards, Pryor, a three-year starter in Columbus, told teams he wants to play quarterback in the NFL.

"But I also said because I'm so far behind, if you want me to do some things and get on the field where I play quarterback or somewhere else, if you feel that it's best to win. I'm all about winning," Pryor said Saturday.

Hosting a local draft prospect is anything but out of the ordinary for the Steelers. They make it a point to familiarize themselves most with draft-eligible players in their area.

The 6-foot-5, 231-pound Pryor has ties to Steelers beyond his hometown's proximity to Pittsburgh.

Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch mentors Pryor, and Pryor spent the offseason working on his throwing mechanics and other fundamentals with Ken Anderson.

Read more: Former OSU standout Terrelle Pryor meets with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VlGtTt00 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752704.html#ixzz1VlGtTt00)

feltdizz
08-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Take him as a slash type project. If it doesn't work out his value will still hold because of his size, youth, athleticism and upside.

steelz09
08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I would pick him for a 3rd but I don't think the Steelers will have a chance. I would want him to play WR w/ the potential of some wildcat or other trick plays at the QB position.

Pryor has more upside (and i HATE that word) than any other play we'd draft in the 3rd round.

phillyesq
08-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Here is Bouchette's take on it:

Ed: The Steelers Interest in Pryor Monday, 22 August 2011 08:41 Written by Ed Bouchette Good morning,

Here's my take on Terrelle Pryer regarding the Steelers and today's 1 p.m. supplemental draft:

The Steelers have an interest or otherwise they would not waste their time, but enough to use more than a seventh-round draft pick today? I do not think so. They have little to use by offering a seventh-round pick because to get him with that it would mean no other team besides Green Bay would have put in a draft pick at all for him.

The supplemental draft works differently than the regular draft, although the order of teams remains the same. You must decide before hand if you want to use a draft pick and which round you want to use it (Pryor is among a handful of playes eligible today). Say no team puts in for a pick in the first three rounds and several offer in the fourth. The team with the highest fourth-round pick gets their choice and they can take any one of the handful of players.

If no one but the Steelers puts in for a seventh-round draft choice it means no one but the Steelers (or, maybe, Green Bay) wanted to use a draft pick on Pryor. That would mean the Steelers could then put him on their practice squad without fear that another team would try to sign him off of it to put him on their 53-man roster (you cannot sign a player off another team's practice squad and put him on your practice squad, he must go on the 53-man).

That would be the only way I could see the Steelers doing anything, to get him on their practice squad. If you use a higher pick, you risk another team signing him off your practice squad.

For those who think the Steelers might actually use, say, a third or fourth-round pick to try to get Pryor, consider what they might be giving up and what they would have to do to carry him on the 53-man roster. Hey, they carried Allen Rossum for a year and gave up a seventh-round draft pick to get him so I don't discount anything. And, when I questioned thier trading for him at the time, Mike Tomlin told me that it was “only” a seventh-round draft pick, as if it were a throwaway (Antonio Brown was their second sixth-round draft pick in 2010).

First, what do you do with Pryor. Do you install him as your third quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich and cut Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon? Do you carry him as just a jack-of-all-trades sort of player who can run the Slash role for you on occasion, play a little, I don't know, designated end-around? As a return man? What?

If you draft him to develop him as a quarterback, when will he play for you? Roethlisberger is 29 and has at least a good eight years in him. Pryor would be pushing 30 by then.

I don't see it. By showing such great interest they might cause a team that wanted to, say, use a fifth-round draft pick on Pryor to use a fourth-round pick on him instead for fear the Steelers might use a third. That in itself is worth showing so much interest in him; let someone else waste a higher pick.

Mike Tomlin is always fascinated with great athletes. He was interested in Michael Vick until the Rooneys said no. So I have no doubt he has some interest in Pryor. But logic says they won't bit, but don't be surprised if news comes out that they proferred a seventh-round pick for him when someone else gets him with a three or four.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Just my take...

If you are the Steelers and don't submit at least a 5th for him, I don't think you have done your due diligence. Pryor is a football player playing QB. The athlete alone is worth a 5th. Especially when he won't count against the 53 while he serves his suspension. Pryor more than likely would draw a late 2nd next year. Now you get him with next years pick where he can become familiar with your system and the NFL. I look at in this aspect. The pick you spend versus where the same pick next year will be as a player. Having Pryor for 14 weeks on the roster plus an offseason will have him better prepared than any pick 4th back and could possible step up to a 3rd. Now enter in his position uncertainty, a 5th entry really isn't a gamble or a waste.

Unfortunately for any Steelers fan who want Pryor, I suspect a 4th round will be submitted for him. I believe the system is a 3 part lottery of teams broken into lower percentage (6 loss I believe), remaining non playoff teams, and playoff teams. Teams submitting a claim for a player is awarded the player based upon the lottery result in the highest round submitted. For Example, Carolina's 4th isn't the highest based on last year unless the lottery falls that way and Pittsburgh 4th isn't next to last over Green Bay. I wasn't aware it worked that way until I read many sources and heard them talking about it over the weekend.

insanesteelersfan
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Chris Carter said it best today on ESPN. He said that Pryor in no way will ever be a NFL WR. He said he doesn't have the lateral quickness, or ability to run constant WR routes to ever be a WR. He did say he might make a decent H-Back in time. He also said he feels he will never be a NFL QB either. Of course this is just his opinion. Me, well Ohio State is WELL KNOWN for NOT developing NFL QB's. In fact the BEST QB ever to come out of there is Mike Tomczak...what does that tell you ?. I feel Tomlin, as well as Colbert have great Big Woodies in their pants for some reason when thinking about Pryor. But why I have no idea. And the above article is correct. Whatever team gets Pryor HAS to keep him on the 53 man roster the entire time, or risk losing him off their PS, as well as whatever 2012 draft pick they used in this SD to select him.

Although as I stated many times, it won't matter cause I feel the Ohio based team, the Bengals might over reach for Pryor, and take him in the 3rd round....maybe even the 2nd round which would to me be a HUGE mistake. But, I guess we will find out for sure in about 2 hours.

Sugar
08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Although as I stated many times, it won't matter cause I feel the Ohio based team, the Bengals might over reach for Pryor, and take him in the 3rd round....maybe even the 2nd round which would to me be a HUGE mistake. But, I guess we will find out for sure in about 2 hours.

Of course the Bengals don't make those kinds of mistakes...

:bungalssuck

phillyesq
08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Of course, he goes to the Raidesr. Makes perfect sense.

SteelBucks
08-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Of course, he goes to the Raidesr.

In the 3rd round.

papillon
08-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I'd love to know if the Steelers made a play for him and what they were willing to part with to get him.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
08-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I KNEW and told everyone it would either be the Raiders, or Bengals or Skins. Man, a 3rd rounder for Pryor ? The Raiders sure bought into the " HYPE ".
Somewhere right now,,,Jamarcus Russell is LAUGHING his butt off :lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-22-2011, 03:05 PM
I KNEW and told everyone it would either be the Raiders, or Bengals or Skins. Man, a 3rd rounder for Pryor ? The Raiders sure bought into the " HYPE ".

:D

http://bigdumbanimal.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/fatjamarcus.jpg

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Here is Bouchette's take on it:...

Mike Tomlin is always fascinated with great athletes. He was interested in Michael Vick until the Rooneys said no. So I have no doubt he has some interest in Pryor. But logic says they won't bit, but don't be surprised if news comes out that they proferred a seventh-round pick for him when someone else gets him with a three or four.

Though I remember hearing rumors of our interest in Vick back then, I had no idea about this detail!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-22-2011, 04:04 PM
And here is the article:

http://postgazette.com/pg/11234/1169084-100.stm

Pryor goes to Oakland Raiders in supplemental draft
Monday, August 22, 2011
By Sam Werner, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Rebecca Droke/Post-Gazette
Terrelle Pryor worked out for more than a dozen NFL scouts at his pro day Saturday at Hempfield High School. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is at right.

The Oakland Raiders selected quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the 3rd round of the NFL supplemental draft Monday.

The former Jeannette High School and Ohio State quarterback is eligible to practice and participate in preseason games as soon as he signs a contract, which agent Drew Rosenhaus said would happen today. The Raiders will forfeit their 3rd round pick in next year's NFL draft.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell deemed Pryor eligible for the draft Thursday, but suspended him for the first five weeks of the regular season. During that time, Pryor can attend meetings and work out at the Raiders' facility, but cannot practice or play in games. The suspension matches the one Pryor would have received had he returned for his senior season at Ohio State. Pryor withdrew from the university in June after his alleged involvement in the improper sale of memorabilia. He said Satuday that he will not appeal the NFL's suspension.

Pryor impressed NFL scouts at his pro day Saturday, posting a 40-yard dash time of 4.36 seconds. He said he was "a quarterback at heart," but would do whatever the team requested of him. Pryor's size -- 6-foot-5, 232 pounds -- and speed could make him an intriguing option as a wide receiver.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11234/1169084 ... z1Vn2klERX (http://postgazette.com/pg/11234/1169084-100.stm#ixzz1Vn2klERX)

hawaiiansteel
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
I just wonder how much longer Al Davis is going to be alive...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e1c0ea25970b-600wi

BackwoodsSteeler
08-22-2011, 05:36 PM

I hope he lives on. I love watching the Raides suck. :Clap

Shawn
08-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't call a 3rd rounder for a guy like Pryor "hype". He has much upside...6 foot 6, 4.36 40, has shown good hands in game situations and has a strong arm. He has the athletic ability to be great. The question is...great at what?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-22-2011, 06:33 PM

DO NOT STARE AT THIS PICTURE!

You will become hypnotized.

I just was, for 4 hours, just sitting in this chair. Actually wound up drooling, which broke the spell.

HONEST!!

DukieBoy
08-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Ahhh, the joy of being right.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Jamarcus is too busy spending all his money to pay attention to anything Al Davis and the Raiders are doing. :lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Pryor likely stuck in dead end with Raiders

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
Aug 22, 2011

While discussing the strengths and weaknesses of quarterbacks Ryan Mallett(notes) and Terrelle Pryor over the weekend, one NFL general manager came to this conclusion: “Yeah, when you look at it overall, they’re pretty equal.”

That was proven correctly on Monday when Pryor was picked in the third round of the NFL’s supplemental draft. Pryor went to the Oakland Raiders with the 82nd overall pick, not far behind where Mallett went in April, when he was the 74th overall pick by the New England Patriots. Sadly for Pryor, his chances of long-term success aren’t close to Mallett’s now.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/08/ipt/1314061813.jpg

Terrelle Pryor went 31-4 as the starting quarterback at Ohio State.

Pryor needs discipline after dashing from NCAA investigators to the NFL. He needs an organization that is just that – organized. Instead, Pryor has landed on a team where the self-absorbed get thrown into a big bucket with a brine of willfulness and a hint of ego glorification.

If you talk to a handful of people from Ohio State and NFL personnel who have done a modicum of homework on Pryor, they will tell you that Pryor’s biggest problem is he has never been told no. Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel consistently let Pryor do whatever he wanted. In the end, it cost Pryor his final season in college (a season he could have used for development of his immense skills) and Tressel his job.

Now he goes to an organization that develops quarterbacks the way Nevin Shapiro and Bernie Madoff handle investments. Name the last quarterback the Raiders really nurtured?

Ken Stabler.

Since then, the Raiders have either succeeded with retreads like Jim Plunkett or Rich Gannon or flopped with guys like Marc Wilson, Todd Marinovich or, most recently, JaMarcus Russell(notes).

The situation with Russell is most instructive in this situation. Owner Al Davis picked Russell, seeing him as the second-coming of Plunkett from an athletic perspective. Davis then let Russell run wild over coaches Lane Kiffin and Tom Cable. Those coaches tried to discipline Russell from time to time, but Davis either waived the fines or didn’t do anything until it was way too late.

Now comes Pryor, who should have been a first-round pick. The fact that some thought he should have gone in the fifth or sixth round was an overreaction to his selfishness. There just aren’t that many human beings who can do what Pryor can do. When you have a chance to get them, you draft them.

But you better have a plan for them, too.

That’s what the Patriots will do with Mallett. On the first week of training camp, New England coach Bill Belichick was in the middle working with all the quarterbacks, even Mallett. That’s not because Belichick is getting ready to replace Tom Brady(notes) tomorrow. (People close to Belichick think Mallett will never play a meaningful down for the Patriots.)

“I know Bill took that kid just because he knows he can turn him into something more later on,” another general manager said. “All the concerns about that kid’s attitude … he won’t be there long enough for that to have an impact on the locker room. Bill will get him ready, put him on display in some exhibition games and then trade him away for a first-round pick or something like that.”

In the meantime, Mallett will hopefully benefit from just being around guys like Belichick and Brady. Perhaps something about their seriousness will rub off on him. Mallett needs it a lot more than people close to him are willing to admit. Aside from the sordid tales of him from college, the latest story about him was the all-night partying he did at the NFL Players Association rookie symposium in Sarasota, Fla., in July, according to two sources.

There’s nothing wrong with a 20-something doing a little partying. However, when that’s a black mark on your reputation and you’re now trying to make it in the NFL, you’d think one would change that a little. Now that Mallett is with the Patriots, he will either learn or get kicked to the curb.

With Pryor, he may never get that message. He may never be told that his routine is played out and that it’s time to work on his game instead of get by on talent. He will likely never look at fellow quarterback Jason Campbell(notes) and think he can learn anything from him. At Ohio State, he didn’t listen to older players, in large part because Tressel never told him he had to.

Oakland coach Hue Jackson will talk a good game about disciplining Pryor. Jackson will tell people “I’ll put my foot up his butt if I have to” (or at least some statement like that). The problem is that Jackson is just another Raiders coach, as disposable as Cable, Kiffin, Art Shell, Norv Turner, Jon Gruden and all the other guys Davis has run through there.

Whatever plan Jackson has is doubtful to last long and that means the only planning will be left to Davis, who is too old and too weary to carry it through himself. That’s why it’s more appropriate than ever that Davis takes another speed merchant (Pryor ran between a 4.36 and 4.42 40 on Sunday in his workout for NFL scouts).

The 82-year-old Davis is trying to beat the clock. There’s no time for plans.

That means there’s probably no shot for Pryor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... back082211 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_raiders_terrelle_pryor_quarterback082211)

fordfixer
08-24-2011, 01:05 AM
And here is the article:

http://postgazette.com/pg/11234/1169084-100.stm

Pryor goes to Oakland Raiders in supplemental draft
Monday, August 22, 2011
By Sam Werner, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Rebecca Droke/Post-Gazette
Terrelle Pryor worked out for more than a dozen NFL scouts at his pro day Saturday at Hempfield High School. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is at right.

The Oakland Raiders selected quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the 3rd round of the NFL supplemental draft Monday.

The former Jeannette High School and Ohio State quarterback is eligible to practice and participate in preseason games as soon as he signs a contract, which agent Drew Rosenhaus said would happen today. The Raiders will forfeit their 3rd round pick in next year's NFL draft.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell deemed Pryor eligible for the draft Thursday, but suspended him for the first five weeks of the regular season. During that time, Pryor can attend meetings and work out at the Raiders' facility, but cannot practice or play in games. The suspension matches the one Pryor would have received had he returned for his senior season at Ohio State. Pryor withdrew from the university in June after his alleged involvement in the improper sale of memorabilia. He said Satuday that he will not appeal the NFL's suspension.

Pryor impressed NFL scouts at his pro day Saturday, posting a 40-yard dash time of 4.36 seconds. He said he was "a quarterback at heart," but would do whatever the team requested of him. Pryor's size -- 6-foot-5, 232 pounds -- and speed could make him an intriguing option as a wide receiver.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11234/1169084 ... z1Vn2klERX (http://postgazette.com/pg/11234/1169084-100.stm#ixzz1Vn2klERX)

Isn't being drafted by the Raiders punishment enough? He still has to sit for 5 games :HeadBanger :HeadBanger