PDA

View Full Version : NFL teams have to trim rosters to 80 on Aug. 30

fordfixer
08-20-2011, 11:35 AM
NFL teams have to trim rosters to 80 on Aug. 30

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Pro Football
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... ercutdowns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aoe4e_USV8DmVnLfiCEP72BDubYF?slug=ap-rostercutdowns)

The NFL informed all 32 teams on Friday that they need to reduce their rosters to 80 players by 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Aug. 30.

The league had considered allowing teams to keep their rosters at 90 until Sept. 3, when they have to cut them to 53.

That would have flooded the open market with nearly 1,200 players, the vast majority of whom would have been subject to the waiver wire, forcing teams to scramble for an unprecedented deluge of talent.

Usually, the first cut is to 75 players. So, as teams continue to play catch-up from the long lockout, they’ll get to take a closer look at a handful of extra players during the final preseason weekend before trimming their rosters to the regular season limit.

Keyplay1
08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
fordfixer/arniestapleton said: "That would have flooded the open market with nearly 1,200 players, the vast majority of whom would have been subject to the waiver wire, forcing teams to scramble for an unprecedented deluge of talent."

Can you give an example of a type of player NOT subject to the waiver wire? One would think they were all subject to the waiver wire.

Wonder if the Steelers have their eye on anyone? Not likely but always a possibility. The Steelers have picked up plenty of very productive players off the waiver wire in the past.

Keyplay1
08-20-2011, 05:00 PM
A good example of this occurred during the week the Steelers were finishing up the season in Green Bay. Earlier in the week they picked up the "Bus Driver" Tim Lewis on waivers from the Rams.

The game became less important as I recall since I think both teams had clinched a Playoff spot. The Steelers for sure. And I think Tim Lewis may have even got in the game. But what was even more coincidental was on the final play Yancey Thigpen had a pass in his arms and somehow it ended up on the ground. It would have won the game for the Steelers. The Green Bay fans said that Vince Lombardi knocked the pass out of Thigpens hands. It was funny since it was as I said both teams had clinched a PO spot. Acutually, I'm not sure about Green Bay. But what was significant is I think that Yancey Thigpen was acquired from the waiver wire also. I do remember reading that San Diego let him go and the Steelers snatched him up presumably from the waiver wire.

But anyway, I don't doubt the Steelers have picked up plenty of contributing players off the waiver wire.