PDA

View Full Version : Goodell's Hypocrisy: "What about Pete Carroll?"

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Goodell's Reputation May Suffer In Aftermath Of Pryor Decision

Published August 19, 2011

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's reputation again "stands to take a potential hit" following his Thursday decision to allow former Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor to take part in Monday's supplemental draft but also "suspend him for the first five games of 2011," according to Don Banks of SI.com.

Banks: "It's dangerous ground in that Goodell has now set a precedent with the Pryor ruling, and his judgment and decisions on punishment had best be in line with that standard going forward. Will he hand out discipline to every college player -- or head coach (hello, Pete Carroll?) -- who attempt to enter the league even while the cloud of alleged NCAA violations or illegalities still hang over their head? If not, it's only going to add to the charges that Goodell has wielded his considerable power too arbitrarily and inconsistently in some high-profile cases."

RULING CALLED "HYPOCRITICAL": ESPN’s Mark Schlereth said the NFL was "hypocritical” with the ruling. He said, "They talk about him violating the eligibility of the draft rules. Then guess what: Don’t make him eligible for the draft” ("NFL Live," ESPN, 8/18). ESPN's Jackie MacMullan noted the NFL has "underminded the integrity" of the supplemental draft. MacMullan: "To me, there’s a little bit of hypocrisy there. ... To say that this has nothing to with the NCAA is crazy. They’re absolutely in bed together on this ruling”

A DANGEROUS PRECEDENT: An NFL source said that the Pryor decision sets a "dangerous precedent" and puts Goodell in a position "to punish future college players." The source added, "What if Goodell decides certain guys in the regular draft can be subject to conditions prior to entering the NFL? It breaches a wall where you're going to be punished at the next level for things done in college" (Cleveland PLAIN DEALER, 8/19). In Chicago, David Haugh writes under the header, "NFL Has No Business Disciplining Pryor." Haugh: "Explain how the NFL can justify enforcing the NCAA's five-game suspension of Pryor one year after welcoming Seahawks coach Pete Carroll into the league with a shrug."

WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE....: YAHOO SPORTS' Michael Silver wrote he hopes Goodell "is prepared to whip out his cattle prod and mete on an even harsher punishment to the next non-athlete who flees the league amid the backdrop of NCAA punishment." The "same Draconian logic should apply" should former OSU coach Jim Tressel land a coaching job in the NFL, and in those "of so many other collegiate coaches." Silver: "I fully expect Goodell to make the connection and to avoid being called a hypocrite by punishing them for their transgressions upon their acceptance of NFL employment contracts. Yeah, right. ... Goodell seems to apply wildly different standards when it comes to disciplining players as he does punishing coaches and other team employees" (SPORTS.YAHOO.com, 8/18).

In S.F., Gwen Knapp writes Pete Carroll "left a burning house at USC for a $6.5 million salary in Seattle, and the NFL said nothing." Browns LB Scott Fujita wrote on Twitter, "That's EXACTLY what guys are asking in our locker right now, 'Well what about Pete Carroll?'" (S.F. CHRONICLE, 8/19).

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... Pryor.aspx (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/08/19/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Pryor.aspx)

Djfan
08-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Power corrupts.

Absolute power corrupts, absolutely.

This clown needs to go.

Discipline of Steel
08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Unilateral and uneven...very similar to a third world dictator. May his reign be short.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2011, 09:03 PM
May he contract a nasty foot infection from Rex's Jets...

May Najeh Davenport take a dump in his shoe...

(Add your heartfelt wish for Mr. Goodell...)

grotonsteel
08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
And what about BAD-all telling free agents where to sign?????????

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...t-first-choice

Michael Vick credits the Philadelphia Eagles with making him a better quarterback. But he was not at first convinced that Philly was the best place for him to resume his football career after nearly two years in federal prison, he told GQ Magazine for its September issue.
In an interview, the Eagles quarterback said the Cincinnati Bengals and Buffalo Bills initially seemed like better options. Those teams wanted him and might have made him their starting quarterback, while the Eagles, at the time, already had an established veteran starter in Donovan McNabb and a starter-in-waiting in Kevin Kolb.
That was well before the Eagles traded McNabb and Kolb got hurt, setting the stage for Vick's remarkable comeback.
"I think I can say this now, because it's not going to hurt anybody's feelings, and it's the truth ... I didn't want to come to Philadelphia," Vick told the magazine. "Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options."

But Vick was convinced, after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other NFL officials, that the Eagles were the best choice. "And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation," Vick told the magazine.

So BAD-all gives advice to Free Agents where to sign???? SCrew BAD-all.

Jigawatts
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM
This is the best thing that can happen to Pryor. Right now a lot of people don’t like him. Rodger is making him look like the good guy.

Djfan
08-19-2011, 11:38 PM
This is the best thing that can happen to Pryor. Right now a lot of people don’t like him. Rodger is making him look like the good guy.

Maybe, but it's the meddling that goodell does, the arbitrary and inconsistent decision making, the ignoring of real issues, and micro-management of nonissues.

He just thinks the NFL is his kingdom to do with what he will.

Discipline of Steel
08-20-2011, 01:07 AM

Maybe, but it's the meddling that goodell does, the arbitrary and inconsistent decision making, the ignoring of real issues, and micro-management of nonissues.

He just thinks the NFL is his kingdom to do with what he will.

If he was any good at it, i dont think id care. But he SUX out loud. His future vision of the NFL SUX. He must tone down the violence for fear of lawsuits and lust for money.
Im starting the movement here and now...

JACK LAMBERT FOR COMMISH

papillon
08-20-2011, 05:59 AM
Unilateral and uneven...very similar to a third world dictator. May his reign be short.

His reign has already been too long.

Pappy

tiproast
08-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Pappy
Agreed. Having an ex-Jets employee as commissioner is tough for us Pats fans to cope with.

And having the AFC South dominate the competition committee (Bill Polian, Jeff Fischer) for years was also difficult to deal with.

I know you Steelers fans feel there have been a number of anti-Steelers rulings over the past few years. Pats fans feel the same way.

SteelCrazy
08-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Why doesnt Plaxico Burress have to serve a suspension?

Djfan
08-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Pappy
Agreed. Having an ex-Jets employee as commissioner is tough for us Pats fans to cope with.

And having the AFC South dominate the competition committee (Bill Polian, Jeff Fischer) for years was also difficult to deal with.

I know you Steelers fans feel there have been a number of anti-Steelers rulings over the past few years. Pats fans feel the same way.

Welcome back tip! Honest question here, not trying to rattle feathers, really:

Don't you agree that the rules about the QB and pass game that goodell (not capitalized on purpose) has handed down lately SERIOUSLY favor Brady's game MUCH more than Ben's game?

It seems that he wants to make the NFL a Brady/Manning league IMO.

tiproast
08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Welcome back tip! Honest question here, not trying to rattle feathers, really:

Don't you agree that the rules about the QB and pass game that goodell (not capitalized on purpose) has handed down lately SERIOUSLY favor Brady's game MUCH more than Ben's game?

It seems that he wants to make the NFL a Brady/Manning league IMO.
The rule that many call the Brady rule was put in place after the Carson Palmer injury in the playoff game against the Steelers. But I understand your point - the way the rules are enforced by the commissioner (and his cronies) favors the QBs that stay in the pocket, and thus helps out Brady and Manning much more than mobile QBs such as Big Ben.

Additionally, there's a perception that Brady gets a lot of calls. I think (but am not certain) that there was one roughing the passer call that went in the Pats favor last year. But Brady does fuel the perception by calling for flags whenever he's hit. That's part of the game, I think. All players try to influence the referees, but when a QB does it it's more obvious, since they're on camera all the time.

Looking forward to another great year. In the AFC, I see two elite teams (Steelers & Pats), with two other teams getting closer (Jets and Ravens). The Colts and Chargers will probably win their divisions, but they're both flawed teams, IMO. The only other team that might break into the playoffs is Houston; it all depends on how effective Manning is this year. If he's out for a while, or is less effective than last year, then I could see Houston taking that division.

Djfan
08-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Fair enough, Tip. Thanks for being a real fan, even if it is for the cheats. :Cheers

I agree. I just hope that goodell doesn't influence the year. We need football, not posturing and ego.

AzStillers1989
08-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Fair enough, Tip. Thanks for being a real fan, even if it is for the cheats. :Cheers

I agree. I just hope that goodell doesn't influence the year. We need football, not posturing and ego.
:Agree

steelblood
08-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Pappy

I don't know Tiproast. It is well documented that Kraft campaigned for Goodell to get the job in the first place and was a crucial figure in his appointment. Goodell and Kraft are friends and even introduce each other at speaking engagements. It is a tough sell to Steeler fans that Goodell has it out for the Pats. Take for instance that even after Goodell became irritated with Coach Bill Bel's evasiveness during the spygate investigation, he still destroyed all of the evidence and attempted to put an end to the matter. Meanwhile, his role in making the Steelers and James Harrison the poster children for illegal hits is undeniable. Many national analysts and NFL players (including Ravens players) agreed that the Steelers defenders were held to a different standard than the rest of the NFL last season. While that happened our receivers, TEs, and QBs were continually hit "illegally" with NOTHING called on the field and too few fines levied afterward. As commissioner, Goodell's most important disciplinary choices have protected the Pats organization and vilified the Steelers. Unfortunately, his directives to refs protect your QB and make ours a target that can be maimed with little to no consequence. This commissioner protects your franchise when faced with the NFL's biggest scandal of the last 20 years. I just don't think I buy that Goodell is not good for the Pats.

papillon
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM

Pappy

I don't know Tiproast. It is well documented that Kraft campaigned for Goodell to get the job in the first place and was a crucial figure in his appointment. Goodell and Kraft are friends and even introduce each other at speaking engagements. It is a tough sell to Steeler fans that Goodell has it out for the Pats. Take for instance that even after Goodell became irritated with Coach Bill Bel's evasiveness during the spygate investigation, he still destroyed all of the evidence and attempted to put an end to the matter. Meanwhile, his role in making the Steelers and James Harrison the poster children for illegal hits is undeniable. Many national analysts and NFL players (including Ravens players) agreed that the Steelers defenders were held to a different standard than the rest of the NFL last season. While that happened our receivers, TEs, and QBs were continually hit "illegally" with NOTHING called on the field and too few fines levied afterward. As commissioner, Goodell's most important disciplinary choices have protected the Pats organization and vilified the Steelers. Unfortunately, his directives to refs protect your QB and make ours a target that can be maimed with little to no consequence. This commissioner protects your franchise when faced with the NFL's biggest scandal of the last 20 years. I just don't think I buy that Goodell is not good for the Pats.

Blood,

Don't forget that Dan Rooney is the one who called goodell and congratulated on him becoming the commissioner of the league. The Rooneys have no issues with goodell.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Blood,

Don't forget that Dan Rooney is the one who called goodell and congratulated on him becoming the commissioner of the league. The Rooneys have no issues with goodell.

Pappy

What's he supposed to do, call him right after he gets the job and tell him, "You suck"?
Just because Dano gave Goodell a congratulatory call doesn't mean the "Rooneys have no issues with Goodell."

And even if "the Rooneys have no issues with Goodell," that doesn't mean they shouldn't. Maybe Dan is going senile and Art doesn't have two oars in the water.

Blood made a very good case for Goodell favoring the *'s, and targeting the Steelers.
Whatever Herr Roger's motivation might be, it sure looks as though that's what's happened.

ikestops85
08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Blood,

Pappy

What's he supposed to do, call him right after he gets the job and tell him, "You suck"?
Just because Dano gave Goodell a congratulatory call doesn't mean the "Rooneys have no issues with Goodell."

And even if "the Rooneys have no issues with Goodell," that doesn't mean they shouldn't. Maybe Dan is going senile and Art doesn't have two oars in the water.

Blood made a very good case for Goodell favoring the *'s, and targeting the Steelers.
Whatever Herr Roger's motivation might be, it sure looks as though that's what's happened.

I have to disagree with you guys. Dan Rooney was Co-Chairman of the selection committee that chose Goodell. He was the one who informed Goodell that he got the job. He said that he was looking for the best commissioner and he had no doubt it was Goodell. I think it is fair to say that Dan Rooney and Robert Kraft both made a very big mistake in the selection of Goodell.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/sport ... 09nfl.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/sports/football/09nfl.html)

feltdizz
08-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Blood,

Pappy

Rooney damn near walked Goodell into the room as the best candidate for the position.

steelblood
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
We don't even know who Rooney voted for. We do know who Kraft voted for. Rooney may very well have been a Goodell supporter, but that is not clear. Leading a committee and congratulating someone does not necessarily mean that Rooney wanted him. It is clear that Kraft campaigned for him and is still a personal friend.

Further, even if Rooney voted for him and was happy with the decision, that doesn't change the fact that there is evidence to suggest that Kraft and Goodell are friends and there is no evidence to suggest that Rooney and Goodell are. Simply, the Pats and the Steelers have received what appears to be very different treatment when their franchises came under intense scrutiny (in admittedly very different situations).

I'm no conspiracy theory crackpot. I was only responding to Tiproast's assertion that Goodell is a Jets guy and the Pats have suffered from lots of bad calls/decisions during his reign. While all of that is likely true to some degree, it is hard for Steeler fans to stomach because of Goodell's close relationship with their owner and his handling of a cheating scandal that may have affected playoff game(s) against the Steelers.

I don't really even believe that Goodell targeted the Steelers. I do believe that he did nothing to make the situation better when it appeared that we were playing under very different rules than other teams for much of last season. I also believe that he swept spygate under the rug to protect Kraft.

What does this mean? Nothing, except that Goodell should be fired because he has made many questionable, strange, and/or reactionary decisions during his relatively brief tenure. This guy is about as fair and levelheaded as Atilla the Hun. This includes his latest decision to suspend Pryor for 5 games (for something he has no jurisdiction over) after not sanctioning Pete Carroll in any way.

hawaiiansteel
08-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I'll be interested to see what Goodell decides in this case...

Haynesworth could be in hot water with the league

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/a-haynesworthalone.jpg?w=250

Given that the incident involving defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth allegedly fondling a waitress occurred before the lockout started and in light of the fact that it was resolved after the lockout ended, Haynesworth doesn’t fall within the group of players who potentially face discipline for off-duty misconduct occurring at a time when all players were involuntarily off of duty.

And so the league undoubtedly will “review” the case under the Personal Conduct Policy. (Indeed, that’s precisely what NFL spokesman Greg Aiello just told me via e-mail.)

Hayneworth’s history could haunt him in this regard. Though it happened nearly five years ago, he once applied a cleat to the forehead of Cowboys center Andre Gurode during a game. He received a five-game suspension for that incident.

Also, given that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended six games (reduced to four) without ever being arrested or charged with rape, Haynesworth “no contest” plea to sexual simple assault should result in a significant punishment, if there’s any consistency or fairness in the Personal Conduct Policy. (And even though Haynesworth pleaded “no contest” only — only? — to simple assault, the fact remains that the assault was against a woman, and that he was charged originally with sexual abuse.)

Then there’s the fact that Haynesworth widely is regarded as a bad guy. He’ll likely get no sympathy from the league office, and the only hope he has now is that Commissioner Roger Goodell will chose to go easy on Haynesworth given that he plays for the team owned by Robert Kraft, who was so instrumental in getting the labor deal resolved.

Speaking of the Patriots, they possibly will move swiftly to cut him, taking the position that they traded for him only after he insisted privately to the franchise that he wasn’t guilty of the crime. (If that happens, he’d likely make a bee line for the Dream Team, where his former position coach in Tennessee is a member of the staff.)

The only good news, if there is any, for Haynesworth is that, per a source with knowledge of the situation, the case will be completely dismissed if he stays out of trouble for 18 months. By then, however, whatever penalty imposed by the league likely will have been completely served.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... he-league/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/22/haynesworth-could-be-in-hot-water-with-the-league/)

BackwoodsSteeler
08-22-2011, 05:21 PM

Pappy

Not meaning to be an ass here but...............WTF?

The tapes were burned by GODell before an investigation (outside of Kraft, Belicheat, and GOD himself) could take place....Tommie Brady gets BS flags for anyone even coming near him......and you have the nut to say the Pats feel the same way?

GODell bends over backwords to appease your franchise all the while bending over the Steelers for crap.

Don't give me your pitty story.

BackwoodsSteeler
08-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Blood,

Pappy

Rooney damn near walked Goodell into the room as the best candidate for the position.
You're correct sir. Rooney got the damn job for GODell and all he has done since is bend the Steelers over and give them a good ragging without even lube.

And Rooney is too damn nutless to say a word.

BackwoodsSteeler
08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Also, given that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended six games (reduced to four) without ever being arrested or charged with rape, Haynesworth “no contest” plea to sexual simple assault should result in a significant punishment, if there’s any consistency or fairness in the Personal Conduct Policy.
I am betting he gets two games and that is why fat albert has not seen the field yet. GODell told the Pats what is coming.

Pretty poor for a player who was arrested, charged, and has a plea in when a player with no arrest, no record, and no charge gets 4 games.

Tell me again Tippytommyroast how the bad, bad man makes you feel all unsafe at night.

Djfan
08-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Why the owners can't see that goodell is VERY bad for the league is beyond me. Maybe even worse, they see it and like it that way.

Either way, this clown is beyond idiotic. He simply is bad for the league. It's outrageous.

tiproast
08-23-2011, 12:52 AM
An interesting range of reactions to my comments.

I'd like to think I'm more objective than most Pats fans, but the truth is that I tend to see decisions that favor my team as fair, and decisions that go against them as unjust. Just an average fan.

With respect to franchise ownership by Mr. Kraft and Mr. Rooney - these are two of the most respected owners in the league, and they both wield significant influence when it comes to the strategic decisions made by the league. However, I don't think either owner (nor any other) has much influence in the day-to-day running of the league. Fines, suspensions, new rules and enforcement policies - all these are done independent of individual franchises (at least as far as I can tell - maybe I'm naive and these owners are pulling the strings of Goodell, and others on the disciplinary committee like Gene Washingon, but I doubt it).

steelblood
08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
An interesting range of reactions to my comments.

I'd like to think I'm more objective than most Pats fans, but the truth is that I tend to see decisions that favor my team as fair, and decisions that go against them as unjust. Just an average fan.

With respect to franchise ownership by Mr. Kraft and Mr. Rooney - these are two of the most respected owners in the league, and they both wield significant influence when it comes to the strategic decisions made by the league. However, I don't think either owner (nor any other) has much influence in the day-to-day running of the league. Fines, suspensions, new rules and enforcement policies - all these are done independent of individual franchises (at least as far as I can tell - maybe I'm naive and these owners are pulling the strings of Goodell, and others on the disciplinary committee like Gene Washingon, but I doubt it).

I agree with most of this. I never meant to suggest that your owner was pulling strings regarding Goodell's decisions. But, I do believe that Goodell MAY have let the Pats off easier regarding spygate because of his relationship with Kraft. And, I have no idea why he lets the Steelers twist in the wind.

Djfan
08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Tip, I for one love the fact that you are willing to discuss this issue. As you can tell it is one of GREAT interest to the fans here.

I know that I could easily list many complaints against goodell, that have impacted the Black & Gold. I know that my fellow posters here could easily do the same, probably expounding greatly on my list.

On the flipside, it would be very hard for me to list anything he has done to help the Steelers. Maybe we could all work together to compile a very short list of these things. Nah. I doubt there is such a list. Really.

So, my question is - Can you list some things that goodell has done that have helped your team, or have hurt your team? My best guess is that if I put this challenge out to the posters on this board, they could list a number of things that goodell has done that have benefited your team, and few that have hurt your team.

You go first.

flippy
08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Rooney and Kraft endorsed Goodell and they probably both still do.

The league's as popular as ever. The owners are keeping boatloads of money. And Goodell is the scapegoat. And Rooney and Kraft still look like the good guys.

It's a win/win relationship as far as I can tell for their personal interests.

steelblood
08-23-2011, 11:01 AM

The league's as popular as ever. The owners are keeping boatloads of money. And Goodell is the scapegoat. And Rooney and Kraft still look like the good guys.

Nice take Flippy. I like that.

Ghost
08-23-2011, 12:52 PM

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/a-haynesworthalone.jpg?w=250

Given that the incident involving defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth allegedly fondling a waitress occurred before the lockout started and in light of the fact that it was resolved after the lockout ended, Haynesworth doesn’t fall within the group of players who potentially face discipline for off-duty misconduct occurring at a time when all players were involuntarily off of duty.

And so the league undoubtedly will “review” the case under the Personal Conduct Policy. (Indeed, that’s precisely what NFL spokesman Greg Aiello just told me via e-mail.)

Hayneworth’s history could haunt him in this regard. Though it happened nearly five years ago, he once applied a cleat to the forehead of Cowboys center Andre Gurode during a game. He received a five-game suspension for that incident.

Also, given that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended six games (reduced to four) without ever being arrested or charged with rape, Haynesworth “no contest” plea to sexual simple assault should result in a significant punishment, if there’s any consistency or fairness in the Personal Conduct Policy. (And even though Haynesworth pleaded “no contest” only — only? — to simple assault, the fact remains that the assault was against a woman, and that he was charged originally with sexual abuse.)

Then there’s the fact that Haynesworth widely is regarded as a bad guy. He’ll likely get no sympathy from the league office, and the only hope he has now is that Commissioner Roger Goodell will chose to go easy on Haynesworth given that he plays for the team owned by Robert Kraft, who was so instrumental in getting the labor deal resolved.

Speaking of the Patriots, they possibly will move swiftly to cut him, taking the position that they traded for him only after he insisted privately to the franchise that he wasn’t guilty of the crime. (If that happens, he’d likely make a bee line for the Dream Team, where his former position coach in Tennessee is a member of the staff.)

The only good news, if there is any, for Haynesworth is that, per a source with knowledge of the situation, the case will be completely dismissed if he stays out of trouble for 18 months. By then, however, whatever penalty imposed by the league likely will have been completely served.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... he-league/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/22/haynesworth-could-be-in-hot-water-with-the-league/)

Thanks for posting this Hawaiian! It will certainly be interesting to see what kind of pusnishment comes down with this. 2 incidents, only one where he pled no contest? How could he not get 4 games?

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Why suspend Terrelle Pryor but not Pete Carroll?

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 23, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/petecarroll2005reuters.jpg?w=246

Late last year Ohio State announced that quarterback Terrelle Pryor would be suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season. Pryor ultimately left Ohio State when it turned out that the scandal enveloping the football program was even more extensive than previously thought, and he was chosen by the Raiders in Monday’s supplemental draft. But the NFL announced before he was allowed into the league that he’d still be suspended five games.

That has some people asking: Why did Pete Carroll get to leave a scandal of his own behind when he resigned as the coach at USC, and become head coach of the Seahawks without any punishment?

One person asking that question is Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer, who told 106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C., that whether you’re a player or a coach, you shouldn’t get a free pass to the NFL if you break NCAA rules on your way to the pros.

“I’d appreciate the NFL working with the colleges,” Beamer said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “If you’ve done something wrong in college you can’t take the next step and just walk away from it. I think the NFL is sending a message and hopefully it’ll hold up in court and we can be consistent throughout.”

Asked specifically about Carroll and whether he should have served a suspension before his NFL career could start, just as Pryor will, Beamer said that sounds good to him.

“I agree totally,” Beamer said. “I don’t think you can be somewhere, something happens and you just walk away and take the next step.”

It’s an interesting question: Why are coaches like Carroll simply allowed leave the NCAA for the NFL whenever they want, while players like Pryor have to apply for the privilege of playing in the NFL? Beamer thinks that’s an unfair double standard.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-carroll/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/23/why-suspend-terrelle-pryor-but-not-pete-carroll/)

BradshawsHairdresser
08-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks for posting this Hawaiian! It will certainly be interesting to see what kind of pusnishment comes down with this. 2 incidents, only one where he pled no contest? How could he not get 4 games?

Because he plays for the *s.

tiproast
08-23-2011, 07:58 PM
So, my question is - Can you list some things that goodell has done that have helped your team, or have hurt your team? My best guess is that if I put this challenge out to the posters on this board, they could list a number of things that goodell has done that have benefited your team, and few that have hurt your team.

You go first.
Things that Goodell has done that have helped the team?

I can't think of any. I know many here think that the destruction of the Spygate tapes helped the Patriots, and I certainly understand that viewpoint, if one is convinced that those tapes showed other instances of the Patriots filming teams from prohibited locations.

A theory prevalent on Pats boards is that the reason Belichick felt he could get away with ignoring Goodell's letter about filming (published before the 2007 season) was that he had evidence on those tapes of the Jets filming from similar locations after the letter came out. So the theory is that Goodell was protecting the Jets by destroying the tapes. Note: I'm not saying I buy into this theory, but I think Belichick had a reason to believe it was ok to ignore the letter. I just don't know what it is; it might be pure arrogance. It will be interesting once Belichick retires from coaching as to what he will say about the incident.

Things Goodell has done that have hurt the team?

Losing a first round draft choice because of Spygate certainly hurt the team, but probably less than it would have hurt most other franchises. But the blow to the reputation of the franchise is gigantic; it's still being felt and will be for many more years.

Djfan
08-23-2011, 10:44 PM

You go first.

I can't think of any. I know many here think that the destruction of the Spygate tapes helped the Patriots, and I certainly understand that viewpoint, if one is convinced that those tapes showed other instances of the Patriots filming teams from prohibited locations.

A theory prevalent on Pats boards is that the reason Belichick felt he could get away with ignoring Goodell's letter about filming (published before the 2007 season) was that he had evidence on those tapes of the Jets filming from similar locations after the letter came out. So the theory is that Goodell was protecting the Jets by destroying the tapes. Note: I'm not saying I buy into this theory, but I think Belichick had a reason to believe it was ok to ignore the letter. I just don't know what it is; it might be pure arrogance. It will be interesting once Belichick retires from coaching as to what he will say about the incident.

Losing a first round draft choice because of Spygate certainly hurt the team, but probably less than it would have hurt most other franchises. But the blow to the reputation of the franchise is gigantic; it's still being felt and will be for many more years.

IIRC, they lost THEIR first round pick (about #26?) but kept the first round pick they traded for (about #10?)? That seems like a very light punishment IMO.

The blow to the reputation of the franchise is going to be there a long time IMO. In the long run the monikers such as "The Cheats" - the affectionate name your team has in my home - or "the *'s" as you have seen in this thread, will be there for a long time.

One more question, then I am done: if it came out that they cheated and it benefited them against us in the AFCC in Heinz, or against the Rams in the SB (A much better possibility IMO), would you advocate a forfeiting of the Lombari?

Kudos to you for hanging around for the topic. I still hate your team. Too bad guys like Welker have to be on that team. He is amazing. Your welcome for the Chad Brown gift.

fordfixer
08-24-2011, 12:51 AM

You go first.

So people are saying that Belichick thinks that every thing the jets do is O.K. for him to do also? Next thing you know you will see Pats players tripping gunners running down the side line during a kickoff :lol:

tiproast
08-24-2011, 01:19 AM
One more question, then I am done: if it came out that they cheated and it benefited them against us in the AFCC in Heinz, or against the Rams in the SB (A much better possibility IMO), would you advocate a forfeiting of the Lombari?

I really don't want to rehash Spygate on your board (I'm more interested in current events) but I will answer your question.

Yes, if the Pats did something that was against the rules at the time, then a forfeit of the trophy would be in order.

BackwoodsSteeler
08-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Next thing you know you will see Pats players tripping gunners running down the side line during a kickoff
Belicheat did that himself prior to the Jets players doing it.

You can look it up on You Tube.

Djfan
08-24-2011, 09:50 AM

I really don't want to rehash Spygate on your board (I'm more interested in current events) but I will answer your question.

Yes, if the Pats did something that was against the rules at the time, then a forfeit of the trophy would be in order.

thanks

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Going back to the original topic and adding a Steelers flavor to it.......

Pryor is suspended for 5 games yet is allowed to come to the team's facilities and work out with the team.

Ben was suspended for 4 games but was not allowed to have any contact with the team during that time.

Why the change in the way suspensions are handled?

Djfan
08-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Going back to the original topic and adding a Steelers flavor to it.......

Pryor is suspended for 5 games yet is allowed to come to the team's facilities and work out with the team.

Ben was suspended for 4 games but was not allowed to have any contact with the team during that time.

Why the change in the way suspensions are handled?

Welcome to goodell land. He is a horrible leader.

feltdizz
08-24-2011, 12:10 PM

Nice take Flippy. I like that.

This right here... Goodell is just a figure head for what the owners want.

As far as Spygate goes... I don't think Goodell burned the tapes to protect the Pats.. he burned them to protect the league.

I don't even see what the significance of seeing teams taped would do for fans... we already know they taped a ton of signals. What does seeing them do for the league?

BackwoodsSteeler
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
So you are saying at least one SB should be voided as there is no IF when it comes to them taping the Steelers calls and then going soo far as to tape the Rams pre-sb walk through.

Brainy Bill and Tommy have not won s h i t since they got caught. There is your proof.

ikestops85
08-24-2011, 05:19 PM
So you are saying at least one SB should be voided as there is no IF when it comes to them taping the Steelers calls and then going soo far as to tape the Rams pre-sb walk through.

Brainy Bill and Tommy have not won s h i t since they got caught. There is your proof.

While they may not have won any SBs since then I believe they have won the most games in that time period. If not the most then they are certainly in the top 3. I hate the Pats as much as anybody but I also respect them. Face it ... they are good ... and they continually kick our butts. That makes me hate them even more because it's so one-sided that it's not even a rivalry.

As much as I can't stand to see BB with that arrogant smirk on his face he deserves credit for what he has done with that franchise. The one year when he started sticking a receiver as the nickle CB and they still won was amazing. I give him a lot of credit for his coaching last year winning 14 games with that no name defense.

I'm starting to feel really sick for having written this so please excuse me while I go throw up. :oops:

Djfan
08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Their skills are what makes the whole cheating thing odd to me. They are good enough to not cheat. I just don't get it. I have to wonder if Bellicheat is just stupid, or arrogant, or delusional, or something.

fordfixer
08-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Next thing you know you will see Pats players tripping gunners running down the side line during a kickoff
Belicheat did that himself prior to the Jets players doing it.

You can look it up on You Tube.

I knew that, That's why I made that comment. But thanks for the help :tt1

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Batch weighs in on Pryor suspension

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 30, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-29/0830stbatch-a.jpg

Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch felt that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had too much power when it came to disciplining players before the new collective bargaining agreement, and nothing has changed his mind.

Batch, a member of the NFLPA's executive committee and a 13-year veteran, feels that Goodell went too far and set a bad precedent when he suspended Jeannette's Terrelle Pryor five games before allowing him to be eligible for last week's supplemental draft.

"He took it to another level when he said he was going to suspend Terrelle Pryor for five games and he wasn't even in the NFL last year," said Batch, who has been mentoring Pryor for years. "How can you do that? It's not right. It's not right at all."

Pryor and his counsel accepted the deal put together by Goodell and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith so that the former Ohio State quarterback would not have to sit out an entire year.

Pryor was initially slated for a five-game suspension at Ohio State for receiving improper benefits before he decided to leave the school.

"I know players are concerned about the message this sends," executive committee member and Browns linebacker Scott Fujita said last week. "The general concern now is how far into Pandora's box this may go. This raises so many questions, and I think players are rightfully concerned."

Pryor must sit out the first five regular-season games and not practice with the team during that span. Pryor was selected in the third round of the supplemental draft and signed a four-year, $2.7 million deal. He said that he would not appeal the five-game suspension.

Batch offered his opinion to Pryor.

"I told Terrelle what he should do. I am not going to tell you what I told him, but I told him what he should do," Batch said. "Whatever the Raiders want him to do, that is what they will do."

The Steelers were the only one of 32 NFL teams that voted against the collective bargaining agreement in August, in large part because of the control Goodell had over discipline issues.

Even though Goodell recently decided against suspending both Tampa Bay cornerback Aqib Talib and Tennessee receiver Kenny Britt, Batch said that Goodell had no choice in the matter.

Talib is facing charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Britt was arrested twice in New Jersey and had two arrest warrants in Tennessee during the lockout.

"We made one statement (as the NFLPA) and that statement was, 'You made the rules, you locked us out,' so how can you enforce your personal conduct policy?" Batch said. "How can you suspend somebody when he is not found guilty, but he chose to find a way to do that. I think he has too much leverage with his personal conduct policy because there are no rules."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXkw5fWg (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754101.html#ixzz1WXkw5fWg)