PDA

View Full Version : Bradshaw in the Booth

Dee Dub
08-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Me personally, I thought Terry was great in the booth last night. Very entertaining and very funny. As much as I dont like Joe Buck I honestly think there is something there with him and Terry. A straight man and a funny man can work. If Fox had a primetime night I think those two would be as good as Michaels and Madden ever was.

RussBII
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
My concern would be if there was an actual game going on, could they stay on task and do the job they are supposed to do. They were fine just yukking it up, but they weren't really great at imparting knowledge or describing the game.

NorthCoast
08-19-2011, 01:59 PM
My concern would be if there was an actual game going on, could they stay on task and do the job they are supposed to do. They were fine just yukking it up, but they weren't really great at imparting knowledge or describing the game.

Bradshaw remininsced about the good old days with the Steelers and Joe Greene and Jack Ham and how the game has changed....I think he is turning into another Madden....a nice old man that nobody pays any attention to when he speaks.

MaxAMillion
08-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Bradshaw is about 10 years too late for this job. His references to Joe Green and Joe Kapp don't really work anymore. Plus he doesn't offer up much actual analysis. His point that the Steelers could possibly look to trade Dixon for OL help if needed was laughable.

I am old enough to remember Bradshaw the player. He was a tremendous talent who showed great courage on the field and mental toughness off the field. He was good when he first started on Fox. Unfortunately I think Bradshaw is past his prime as an announcer. We all get old and lose it eventually.

Shoe
08-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Me personally, I thought Terry was great in the booth last night. Very entertaining and very funny. As much as I dont like Joe Buck I honestly think there is something there with him and Terry. A straight man and a funny man can work. If Fox had a primetime night I think those two would be as good as Michaels and Madden ever was.

I'm the opposite. As I watched/listened to him, I just thought to myself how he's definitely jumped the shark in terms of his relatability to football. It's much like Chris Berman on ESPN, we saw it with Frank GIfford at the end of his run... guys like these have become complacent. Not only is their "shtick" old (Berman), they lose touch with the game they cover. e.g. It's pretty clear that he doesn't follow football, in a way that fans do... and sportscasters should. There is no attempt at insight. It's just his "crazy old uncle" routine, and as I said: STALE

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-19-2011, 06:10 PM
On the other hand, it's not like TB was scheduled to be a broadcaster last night ... he just popped by like those Hollywood types used to on Monday Night Football. IMO, there's no way to use last night's performance as a predictor of how he would do if his job description included doing homework in preparation for the broadcast.

Did anybody else wonder if he almost pulled a Broadway Joe last night (a nip too many), though of course without Suzy Kolbert?

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 06:18 PM
I enjoyed Terry's comments about how he's personally against the recent rules changes regarding player safety and how they have changed the very essence of the game he knew and grew up with.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/329183/turkey_joe.jpg

Dee Dub
08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Bradshaw is about 10 years too late for this job. His references to Joe Green and Joe Kapp don't really work anymore. Plus he doesn't offer up much actual analysis. His point that the Steelers could possibly look to trade Dixon for OL help if needed was laughable.

I am old enough to remember Bradshaw the player. He was a tremendous talent who showed great courage on the field and mental toughness off the field. He was good when he first started on Fox. Unfortunately I think Bradshaw is past his prime as an announcer. We all get old and lose it eventually.

Say what? Did you even really listen to what Terry was saying? In regards to Joe Kapp, Terry was talking about his irregular throwing motion. Same with Johnny Unitas. This went along with all the commotion over the poor throwing mechanics that so called experts have criticized the likes of Byron Leftwich and Tim Tebow over. Kapp and Unitas had poor throwing mechanics but it never stopped them from being great NFL passers. I think that was very relevant.

Me personally I think it is the modern day fan who has lost touch with the relevancy of the history of the game of football. And that can be blamed on the modern day media.

Dee Dub
08-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Bradshaw remininsced about the good old days with the Steelers and Joe Greene and Jack Ham and how the game has changed....I think he is turning into another Madden....a nice old man that nobody pays any attention to when he speaks.

Another say what?? In case you forgot John Madden even up to the day he retired was the highest paid NFL Analyst. There wasn’t a network around who didn’t want him. And the reason being was because of the ratings they got from the games he broadcasted. Same with Howard Cosell. And I believe Terry Bradshaw would get the same. It’s the “some love him, some hate him, and some cant understand him attraction”. That sells.

Chavezz
08-20-2011, 10:17 AM

I'm the opposite. As I watched/listened to him, I just thought to myself how he's definitely jumped the shark in terms of his relatability to football. It's much like Chris Berman on ESPN, we saw it with Frank GIfford at the end of his run... guys like these have become complacent. Not only is their "shtick" old (Berman), they lose touch with the game they cover. e.g. It's pretty clear that he doesn't follow football, in a way that fans do... and sportscasters should. There is no attempt at insight. It's just his "crazy old uncle" routine, and as I said: STALE

I agree completely. I was cringing at times and felt embarrassed for the guy.

Chavezz
08-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Another say what?? In case you forgot John Madden even up to the day he retired was the highest paid NFL Analyst. There wasn’t a network around who didn’t want him. And the reason being was because of the ratings they got from the games he broadcasted. Same with Howard Cosell. And I believe Terry Bradshaw would get the same. It’s the “some love him, some hate him, and some cant understand him attraction”. That sells.

John Madden was terrible.

I don't care what they paid him. The casual fan may have liked him because he explained the basic rules of football EVERY FREAKING BROADCAST. The day he retired made the broadcast better.

DukieBoy
08-20-2011, 10:46 AM
It is a completely subjective matter, and all opinions have their own internal validity.

I enjoy TB greatly. Part of it is the lasting connection with TB through 4 SuperBowls and those seasons in my young adult years, after years of tough teams that lost too often with QB's like Dick Shiner and Kent Nix. I enjoy his spontaneity, informality, insight, emotion, and even his mistakes.

I watched the game last night, with Darryl Johnston*, who I also like to hear from, but often sounds like he is reading from a teleprompter (and maybe he is). Of the two, I prefer TB in the booth.

Jimmy Johnson* was good in the booth too ...

*There is no team I despise more that the Cowgirlies (Cheatriots*** being a close second).

Keyplay1
08-20-2011, 12:51 PM
I have always been a Terry Bradshaw fan in every phase of his career.

He probably could be a very good color commentator if he was interested. I can see him being as good or effective as the ex cowboy guy used to be on MNF. The party's over guy, his name slipped my mind but I do remember he was a very good QB for the Cowboys back a bit. Yeah, a little southern humor or wit could be used in those broadcasts.

But then again, I used to like Jerry Glanville. And here I think I was in the minority.

Dee Dub
08-20-2011, 01:56 PM
I have always been a Terry Bradshaw fan in every phase of his career.

He probably could be a very good color commentator if he was interested. I can see him being as good or effective as the ex cowboy guy used to be on MNF. The party's over guy, his name slipped my mind but I do remember he was a very good QB for the Cowboys back a bit. Yeah, a little southern humor or wit could be used in those broadcasts.

Dandy Don Meridith.

Captain Lemming
08-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I enjoyed Terry's comments about how he's personally against the recent rules changes regarding player safety and how they have changed the very essence of the game he knew and grew up with.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/329183/turkey_joe.jpg

Boy Terry was STRONG AS A BULL.

In your photo there he is doing a hand stand holding Turkey Jones in mid air. :lol: