PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger sharp

fordfixer
08-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Roethlisberger sharp as Steelers rout Eagles

Posted: Friday August 19, 2011
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... =si_latest (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/19/steelers.eagles.ap/index.html?section=si_latest)

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger completed 8-of-12 passes for 125 yards and a pair of touchdowns as the Pittsburgh Steelers cruised by the Philadelphia Eagles 24-14 on Thursday night.

Roethlisberger directed the defending AFC champions to touchdowns on both drives he played, hitting Antonio Brown for a 29-yard score in the first quarter and veteran Hines Ward on a 20-yard strike in the second.

Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick started the day clarifying comments he made in a GQ article in which he suggested NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell convinced him to sign with the Eagles as a backup two years ago rather than compete for a starting job elsewhere.

His night wasn't any better.

Last season's NFL Comeback Player of the Year was intercepted three times during a miserable half against Pittsburgh's rejuvenated defense. Vick finished 5-of-12 for 47 yards and was sacked once.

Vick finished with more tackles -- one -- than touchdowns. He drilled Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu late in the first half after throwing his third interception of the night. Vick didn't throw his third pick last year until December.

Then again, he got little help.

Philadelphia wide receiver DeSean Jackson, playing for the first time this preseason after ending his contract holdout, had two catches for eight yards as the Eagles struggled to gain any momentum against the Steelers, who were energized by the return of stars Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison.

The two All-Pros sat out a listless 16-7 loss to Washington a week earlier to rest. Once on the field, they had little trouble making an immediate impact.

Harrison teamed with cornerback Donovan Warren to sack Vick late in the first half. Polamalu then intercepted Vick on the next play to set up a 20-yard touchdown pass from Byron Leftwich to newly acquired wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery that put the Steelers up 21-0 with 12 seconds to play in the half.

Vick quickly took a knee when the Eagles got the ball back, eager to end a forgettable night. Pittsburgh outgained Philadelphia 262-71 in the half, taking some of the sizzle out of one of the league's most hyped teams.

Philadelphia made such a splash during the free agency period -- signing Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, defensive linemen Jason Babin and Cullen Jenkins and quarterback Vince Young among others -- that Young dubbed his new squad "The Dream Team."

The Steelers did little to downplay the focus surrounding their cross-state rivals, with safety Ryan Clark saying the Eagles can "deal with the limelight."

Philadelphia didn't exactly thrive under the glare while playing in front of a national TV audience against a team still smarting from a loss to Green Bay in the Super Bowl.

While Vick never got into a rhythm, Philadelphia's first-string defense had trouble getting off the field.

Pittsburgh converted 7-of-10 third downs in the opening half and punted only once as Roethlisberger easily made plays against Philadelphia's highly regarded secondary.

The addition of Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was supposed to shore up Philadelphia's suspect pass defense, yet the secondary consistently ran into trouble.

Brown torched Asante Samuel on a double-move to put the Steelers on the board, and Ward ended a 96-yard drive with a grab in the back of the end zone after Roethlisberger extended the play by breaking containment.

Ward, who won "Dancing With the Stars" during the offseason, celebrated with a couple of well-executed hip swivels before heading to the sidelines for the night.

While Ward, Roethlisberger and running back Rashard Mendenhall were in baseball caps by the second quarter, Vick played the entire half.

The Steelers responded by keeping most of the starting defense on the field. Vick could do little with his arm or his legs even though Pittsburgh was forced to use a patchwork secondary thanks to injuries to corners Ike Taylor (broken left thumb) and Bryant McFadden (hamstring).

Usual nickelback William Gay and reserve Keenan Lewis started in place of the two veterans and held Jackson and others in check. Gay blanketed the speedy wideout when Vick tried to hit Jackson with a deep ball on Philadelphia's first play from scrimmage, and Lewis easily picked off Vick when the quarterback overthrew Riley Cooper down the sideline.

The Steelers weren't done. Polamalu, slowed in the playoffs last year with an Achilles' injury, appeared to be fine playing at full speed for the first time in more than six months. He chased down a tipped pass and returned it 36 yards.

Polamalu faked a pitch during the return and paid for holding onto the ball when Vick drilled him at the Philadelphia 43. The tackle was low and hard, but both stars popped up quickly.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1VSAVHozA (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/19/steelers.eagles.ap/index.html#ixzz1VSAVHozA)

fordfixer
08-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Roethlisberger shines, Vick struggles as Pittsburgh beats Philadelphia 24-14

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... rss_sports (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/roethlisberger-shines-vick-struggles-as-pittsburgh-beats-philadelphia-24-14/2011/08/18/gIQA9C9qOJ_story.html?wprss=rss_sports)

By Associated Press, Published: August 18

PITTSBURGH — Ben Roethlisberger running around, extending plays, throwing touchdowns. Hines Ward dancing in the end zone, not on the ballroom floor. Troy Polamalu picking off a pass. James Harrison wreaking havoc in the backfield.

Does the calendar say August or December? For a couple of dazzling quarters on Thursday night, the Pittsburgh Steelers made it hard to tell the difference.

Roethlisberger threw for 125 yards and a pair of touchdowns and Pittsburgh’s defense put an exclamation point to Philadelphia star Michael Vick’s miserable day, intercepting three of his passes in the first half of a remarkably easy 24-14 victory.

Yes, it’s only the preseason. But after sleepwalking through a loss to Washington a week ago, the defending AFC champions delivered a reminder to their cross-state rivals about which team from Pennsylvania has played in three of the last six Super Bowls.

“That’s the desired response we were looking for,” said Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin.

Particularly from a defense energized by the return of All Pros Troy Polamalu and James Harrison. The veterans sat last week to rest up and watched as the lowly Redskins moved the ball with ease.

Philadelphia found the going significantly more difficult.

Harrison teamed with Donovan Warren for a sack while Polamalu played with his usual reckless abandon, including a 36-yard free wheeling return of an interception that ended with Vick drilling the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year in the knees.

Polamalu brushed off Vick’s hit, saying he’s hit opponents the same way plenty of times.

“I was just playing ball just like he was playing ball,” Polamalu said.

Even if Vick hardly played like his usual self on a night in which he finished with more tackles than touchdowns. He completed just 5 of 12 passes for 47 yards and showed little of the sharpness that’s drawn praise from coach Andy Reid during training camp.

It was a frustrating end to a frustrating day for the 2010 NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He spent the morning clarifying comments he made in a “GQ” article in which he suggested NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell convinced him to sign with the Eagles as a backup two years ago rather than compete for a starting job elsewhere.

Vick stressed it was his decision to sign with Philadelphia and refused to blame the mini-furor surrounding the story for his lackluster performance.

“Once I was in the game, the issue was just pressing to put points on the board,” Vick said. “I just got caught up in getting down 14-0.”

Then again, Vick got little help on either side of the ball.

Philadelphia wide receiver DeSean Jackson, playing for the first time this preseason after ending his contract holdout, had two catches for eight yards as the Eagles struggled to gain any momentum.

“We’re all in this together and we all stunk tonight,” Reid said.

Particularly in the first half as Pittsburgh’s starters — and more than a few reserves — outplayed Philadelphia’s first-stringers.

Pittsburgh outgained Philadelphia 262-71 in the opening 30 minutes, taking some of the sizzle out of one of the league’s most hyped teams.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Post-Eagles thoughts

THURSDAY, AUGUST 18, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

© Ben Roethlisberger made some beautiful throws in this game, but his best play may have been a 12-yard dumpoff to Rashard Mendenhall.

Roethlisberger was pressured to his left and waited for Mendenhall to release before feathering the ball over the outstretched hands of a pass rusher.

It showed a lot of patience and maturity.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Jooser
08-19-2011, 03:41 AM
:tt2

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Takeaways from the Steelers-Eagles preseason game

By Jason La Canfora
NFL Network Insider
Aug. 19, 2011

PITTSBURGH -- I'm never one to make much of the preseason, especially with rosters being shuffled and key players being out ... But this was an old-school beatdown. I don't care if the game was being played in August or January. The Eagles got hammered by the Steelers in every aspect. It was ugly and the Eagles' staff is going to have to dissect this corpse and see what it can bring to life for the third preseason game, which is usually the dress rehearsal for the regular season.

Here's what I took away from the game:

The Steelers got the memo. Coach Mike Tomlin was steamed after they got out-muscled by the Washington Redskins in the preseason opener, and the Steelers came to play on both sides of the ball Thursday night. They beat up the Eagles at the line of scrimmage and created an array of big plays. It seemed to me that the Steelers schemed up pretty good on defense and took more of a regular-season approach. The power-run game was a point of emphasis and they gouged Philadelphia's first string for 93 rushing yards in the first half, while throwing for 192 and three touchdowns. Michael Vick never got comfortable, throwing five completions to three interceptions in a half of work and the Eagles' biggest offensive play went for 16 yards. Pittsburgh posted consecutive 14-play, 7:30-plus touchdown drives to open the game and outgained the Eagles 262-71 in the first half. Yeah, I'd call that a statement.

Big Ben is better than ever. I'm buying the new-married-changed Ben Roethlisberger. He's going to do damage over a full 16-game season, with the suspension now a year behind him. He was at his street-balling best tonight -- buying time, moving in the pocket to throw two touchdown strikes on the run. On the first drive, he was a killer on third down, converting a third and one for an 11-yard completion, third and eight for an 18-yard pass and third and seven for a 29-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Brown. He carved up the Eagles' vaunted secondary and made it look easy. He looks in great shape, and if his practice habits are indeed now top notch, Roethlisberger could be making a lot of fantasy owners happy this season.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @jasonlacanfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... itter_news

williar
08-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I loved what I saw from Ben against the eagles. THIS is the Ben I want to see consistently this season. The play maker, Ben. Not, the sack- absorbing, holding the ball too long, running around in circles, Ben....If he brings his A-game we'll be even tougher to beat. I am one of Ben's biggest critics, I love when he makes me look like a fool.....

steelfin
08-19-2011, 11:49 PM
I loved what I saw from Ben against the eagles. THIS is the Ben I want to see consistently this season. The play maker, Ben. Not, the sack- absorbing, holding the ball too long, running around in circles, Ben....If he brings his A-game we'll be even tougher to beat. I am one of Ben's biggest critics, I love when he makes me look like a fool.....

While I agree with what you are saying...the sack absorbing, holding the ball too long, running around in circles, Ben has won two super bowls...

williar
08-20-2011, 09:45 AM

While I agree with what you are saying...the sack absorbing, holding the ball too long, running around in circles, Ben has won two super bowls...

And would have likely won a third super bowl if the "focused" Ben would have taken the field in XLV. Hopefully his best is still yet to come....

Slapstick
08-20-2011, 10:46 AM
"Focused" Ben can't make Mendenhall hold on to the ball...

"Focused" Ben can't block for himself...

Scarletfire1970
08-20-2011, 10:53 AM

He can't help the defense stop Aaron Rodgers and that GB offense either

Sugar
08-20-2011, 11:27 AM

He can't help the defense stop Aaron Rodgers and that GB offense either

Whoooooooooooaaaah.... you almost make it sound like a TEAM sport!

chiken
08-20-2011, 06:09 PM

And would have likely won a third super bowl if the "focused" Ben would have taken the field in XLV. Hopefully his best is still yet to come....

Focused Ben couldn't make Brown run the right route - or make up for the loss of 2 Starters.

williar
08-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Focused Ben couldn't make Brown run the right route - or make up for the loss of 2 Starters.

Focused Ben could have not thrown two critical picks, one for a GB touchdown! Hmmmm - take seven off the GB scoreboard and we probably would have won that game.... Focused Ben may have completed some passes to some of his open receivers and not so many to GB dbs. Focused Ben may have hit a wide open Mike Wallace for a touchdown..... Boy! What a focused Ben could do for his team. Let us count the ways....

RuthlessBurgher
08-20-2011, 07:54 PM

Focused Ben could have not thrown two critical picks, one for a GB touchdown! Hmmmm - take seven off the GB scoreboard and we probably would have won that game.... Focused Ben may have completed some passes to some of his open receivers and not so many to GB dbs. Focused Ben may have hit a wide open Mike Wallace for a touchdown..... Boy! What a focused Ben could do for his team. Let us count the ways....

Ben was trying to focus on the wide open Mike Wallace, but unfortunately, Chris Kemoeatu wasn't focused enough to block the man in front of him, so Ben was hit while in the act of throwing, causing a lame duck pass to come up way short, which was then intercepted and run back for a touchdown.

Captain Lemming
08-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Ben was trying to focus on the wide open Mike Wallace, but unfortunately, Chris Kemoeatu wasn't focused enough to block the man in front of him, so Ben was hit while in the act of throwing, causing a lame duck pass to come up way short, which was then intercepted and run back for a touchdown.

Yes, Ben was clearly the BEST QB ON THE FIELD that day, his play was outstanding.

Funny thing is that THE OTHER QB had drop after drop yet GB fans are not in the position to have to come up with excuses for him.

So lets just agree,
Ben's play was outstanding, his team let him down. He has no fault in the loss whatsoever. If everyone else played up to the standard Ben set that day we would have crushed GB.

Considering what Ben has said about his own play that day repeatedly, someone needs to inform him that he is wrong, his play had no bearing on the loss.

I thought that what we might be seeing is a renewed focus on Ben's part, that was perhaps due to disappointment over the painful loss. GREAT NEWS.

But now I am convinced that when we lose it is IN SPITE of Ben's outstanding play.

No need to get excited that Ben LED his teamate in offseason workouts.

No need to care if was sharp against the Eagle.

He was sharp as a knife in the SB. The uninformed ONLY THINK he was not sharp in that game.

Slapstick
08-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes, Ben was clearly the BEST QB ON THE FIELD that day, his play was outstanding.

Funny thing is that THE OTHER QB had drop after drop yet GB fans are not in the position to have to come up with excuses for him.

So lets just agree,
Ben's play was outstanding, his team let him down. He has no fault in the loss whatsoever. If everyone else played up to the standard Ben set that day we would have crushed GB.

Considering what Ben has said about his own play that day repeatedly, someone needs to inform him that he is wrong, his play had no bearing on the loss.

I thought that what we might be seeing is a renewed focus on Ben's part, that was perhaps due to disappointment over the painful loss. GREAT NEWS.

But now I am convinced that when we lose it is IN SPITE of Ben's outstanding play.

He was sharp as a knife in the SB. The uninformed ONLY THINK he was not sharp in that game.

You miss the point, my good captain...

Whoooooooooooaaaah.... you almost make it sound like a TEAM sport!

There is more than enough blame to go around...to single out Ben for his performance and lay the loss at his feet is obtuse at best...

Of course Ben took he blame upon himself...that was a beautiful "I am Spartacus" moment that got his team behind him and showed that he IS a changed person...good for him...

But, to say that Ben was responsible for the SB loss is a facile rationalization and completely ignores the team nature of football...

The same goes for crediting Rodgers with the win...

feltdizz
08-22-2011, 09:08 AM
This is the Ben I wanted to see the last few seasons... He avoided hits by checking down and had amazing touch on the short passes.

Does this mean the old Ben sucked? No.. All it means is fans like seeing Ben avoid hits and use all the weapons at his disposal.

I like winning SB's and all but I also like seeing Ben without a broken nose, broken foot and other countless injuries. Not sure why we have to trade one for the other....

I appreciate what he has done so far in his career but I would also love to see him avoid having his career cut short by taking every hit that comes his way.

ikestops85
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Ben is an excellent QB but that doesn't mean he doesn't have room for improvement. I don't think Ben has ever been a quick reader of the defense. Mostly because he doesn't study a lot of film which he has readily admitted. Some of the plays we have seen in pre-season looks like Ben is getting better anticipating what the defense is going to do.

I'll withhold judgement on this until I see it in the regular season but I'm loving that our QB is still working on his game and realizes that he can still get better.

birtikidis
08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
If Ben didn't pump fake to his left he doesn't move the db to a place he can make an int. also the time he wasted pump faking it, to the guy he was gonna throw it to anyway, was the time it took for kemo to get beat.

papillon
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
If Ben didn't pump fake to his left he doesn't move the db to a place he can make an int. also the time he wasted pump faking it, to the guy he was gonna throw it to anyway, was the time it took for kemo to get beat.

That looked like a designed stop and go from the beginning trying to catch GB sleeping. Ben hit the pump fake as soon as his back foot hit the ground like he was throwing an out and then he reloaded and let it go deep. Kemo just didn't give Ben the extra 1/2 second he needed to get enough on the throw.

Sometimes the other team makes plays.

Pappy

birtikidis
08-22-2011, 01:42 PM

That looked like a designed stop and go from the beginning trying to catch GB sleeping. Ben hit the pump fake as soon as his back foot hit the ground like he was throwing an out and then he reloaded and let it go deep. Kemo just didn't give Ben the extra 1/2 second he needed to get enough on the throw.

Pappy
Kemo has never been good in pass protection. He doesn't play well in space. I wasn't giving him a pass by any stretch of the imagination.

ter1230_4
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM

So lets just agree,

Well then, consider me UNINFORMED, because I do not think that Big Ben was sharp in the Super Bowl. I think that at key moments in the game BB was too focused on throwing to one guy, Mike Wallace, rather than looking for the open receiver. One example is the second interception he threw, when he insisted on trying to stick it into Wallace while Heath Miller was all alone down the field. And it was particularly true on the last series, when Wallace was covered by the only good DB the Packers had left. On the third down play BB had Mewelde Moore wide open on the checkdown for a sure first down, but BB again tried to stick it in to a covered Mike Wallace. BB is an elite QB, but he is not perfect. Given all that was going on with the injuries, and had gone on with him last season with the suspemsion and Goodfag's comments to begin Super Bowl week, it was a lot to ask for that BB have a perfect game.

papillon
08-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Pappy
Kemo has never been good in pass protection. He doesn't play well in space. I wasn't giving him a pass by any stretch of the imagination.

I know you weren't giving him a pass. It's just one of those things that happen. It looked to me like Ben was just supposed to throw where only his guy could get it and it didn't work out that way, because, a GB defensive lineman made a play and got pressure to Ben before he could get it out. Had Ben simply thrown the ball without the pump fake the ball is probably overthrown, no harm, no foul, but as is Ben penchant for making plays, he tried to bait the corner a bit and it cost them.

In retrospect, dropping back and letting it fly probably would have been better, but with Ben you have to take the bad with the great.

Pappy