PDA

View Full Version : Concern for TROY...

LordVile
08-18-2011, 11:38 PM
saw him take two hits to the knees. i left the bar i was at in the 4th quarter and i'm sure he didn't play too much more, but i just hope he didn't aggravate that injury from that VICK hit.. seems like i'd rather lose the game then have him suffer some lingering injury.. did you guys see anything to say, he was okay?? maybe too soon, but the game was on mute for most the part in the bars i hopped at..

DukieBoy
08-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Seems to have been just fine after that hit. He was shown standing on the sideline talking with teammates toward the end of the game.

LordVile
08-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Seems to have been just fine after that hit. He was shown standing on the sideline talking with teammates toward the end of the game.

thanks brotha.. i could see the team in a good mood. i appreciate the feed back :Beer

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Post-Eagles thoughts

THURSDAY, AUGUST 18, 2011
by Dale Lolley

Heck of a difference Troy Polamalu and James Harrison make in the Steelers defense.

Polamalu looked like he was in mid-season form, while Harrison was getting a good push on the pocket as well.

Polamalu, in fact, looked like a demon on the field Thursday night.

As he was walking into the locker room after the game, coach Mike Tomlin said, "I'm over it," to Polamalu.

Tomlin was a bit peeved that Polamalu put himself in jeopardy making his interception return at the end of the first half.

But, as Polamalu told me, "It doesn't matter to me if it's a preseason game or regular season. Once I've got the ball in my hands, instincts take over."

Laying down once he picked off Michael Vick was never an option.

The Steelers were a little ticked off about the new rule that you can't engage the quarterback following a turnover unless he attempts to make a play.

Vick, an excellent athlete, took Polamalu down pretty hard following his interception. There were a number of Steelers around Vick at the time, but they did not attempt to block him for fear of being penalized and/or fined for taking a shot at the QB.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

rpmpit
08-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Same here with the concern for Troy. But we all know Troy plays one way - ALL OUT. On one of the first running plays for the Eagles, he launched himself at the rb. The hit by Vick looked pretty bad, but he seemed fine afterwards. I'm surprised the defensive starters were in there as long as they were - Troy and James especially. But it was great seeing them on the field and playing well.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-19-2011, 07:05 AM
This part SUCKS:

Post-Eagles thoughts

by Dale Lolley...

The Steelers were a little ticked off about the new rule that you can't engage the quarterback following a turnover unless he attempts to make a play.

Vick, an excellent athlete, took Polamalu down pretty hard following his interception. There were a number of Steelers around Vick at the time, but they did not attempt to block him for fear of being penalized and/or fined for taking a shot at the QB.

We can't hit Vick for fear of penalty, but he can launch himself at Troy's knees. Right.

DukieBoy
08-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Mentioning not to hit the QB, how about that late hit on Ben early in the first drive, maybe a full 2 seconds after he threw the ball. Is there also a "Big Ben Rule" in which it's OK to hit him late ?

Steveo
08-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Every time Troy takes a hit, especially like knee shot Vick gave him, I find myself holding my breath until he gets up. Glad to see / hear he is OK.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2011, 09:21 AM
This part SUCKS:

Post-Eagles thoughts

by Dale Lolley...

We can't hit Vick for fear of penalty, but he can launch himself at Troy's knees. Right.
Another brilliant rule from the Goodell regime. :roll:

sentinel33
08-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Couple things here.

A.-I don't like Troy lookin to lateral during a preseason game. That is not cool. I remember him doin that same stuff in a game we had already won and he too k a nasty shot cause he wasn't payin attention. Damn near had a heartattack when I saw that crap. Save it for the playoffs Troy. Sheesh...

B.-Very upset with these new rules. The late hit on Ben and the can't touch the QB-EVER rule is absolutely killin me...

and they still played great.

Nice rebound from last week.

Dee Dub
08-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Honestly I dont think Troy got hit in the knee. I played that play back several times and it looks as if he actually got hit in the mid-thigh.

Oviedo
08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Honestly I dont think Troy got hit in the knee. I played that play back several times and it looks as if he actually got hit in the mid-thigh.

I saw the same thing. It was almost at the hip

SteelBucks
08-19-2011, 12:12 PM

I saw the same thing. It was almost at the hip

I agree. My DVR got a workout to figure out where he got hit. I almost had a heart attack though watching it live.

sentinel33
08-19-2011, 04:44 PM
To me the uneasiness isn't where the hit was. Pretty clear it was on the thigh. If it was the knee, his season would be over.

What bugs me is that, by rule, Vick get's a free shot at Troy. nobody can touch Vick(or any other QB for that matter). We can't block Vick out of the play.

Um. That's not very fair at all.

I think that once that QB crosses the line of scrimmage in any manner, he's a runner. All bets are off. I'll even let'em keep the panzy slide.

it's just stupid.

Cause if Troy's knee did get blown apart, this is a major issue and everyone is talking about it.

But that didn't happen so it's not that serious.

Again, stupid.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 04:54 PM
what a stupid rule, we can't block Michael Vick but he can just recklessly launch himself into the ballcarrier? :wft

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-18/0819SteelKovacPGP-a.jpg

fordfixer
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Steelers' Woodley questions low hit by Vick
http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-eagles-s ... ?track=rss (http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-eagles-steelers-vick-20110819,0,7284919.story?track=rss)

By Scott Brown, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

10:37 a.m. EDT, August 19, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers may have avoided what would have been a devastating injury when Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick hit the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year in the knee Thursday night.

The blow came at the end Troy Polamalu's 36-yard interception return in the second quarter, and outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley took exception to it.

Woodley said Vick got a clean hit on Polamalu because of added protection quarterbacks receive after interceptions. They are considered defenseless players until they try to make a tackle during a return.

"If that rule wasn't in, we could have made a block on him." Woodley said. "Had we took him out from the beginning, he would have never got that tackle."

James Harrison said he could have blocked Vick but pulled back because he didn't want to draw a penalty.

"I wouldn't think he'd hit him like that if he was trying to tackle him," Harrison said.

Polamalu said he didn't have a problem with how low Vick went to make a stop.

"I've done that plenty of times to people, as well," Polamalu said. "That's the nature of the game."

feltdizz
08-20-2011, 11:40 AM
I think players could have pushed Vick or hand checked him once we had the ball. I thought the rule meant you can't blast a QB like plenty have done in the past once possession changes.

I didn't have a problem with the tackle. Troy tackles people like that all the time. It looked viscious becase Troy was about to do another ill advised pitch to a linebacker. If he was looking upfield he probably would have avoided the hit or trucked Vick.

I was scared when I saw the hit though...