PDA

View Full Version : First Half versus Eagles

steelnavy
08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
My thoughts:

- Were those multiple screen passes thrown by Ben or am I dreaming?
- Every time I see Byron Leftwich, "what you talkin' bout Willis" comes into my head
- Is it me or is Ben starting to LOOK like Terry Bradshaw? When he was standing on the sideline, he had the same goofy grin on his face. Looked like a younger (but chunkier) Terry.
- Love Mwelde Moore but hate when they try and run him up the middle
- Ben played really well
- Cotchery looked great
- Wish the Steelers offense would reach into its bag of tricks all season...
- Were the running backs actualy getting holes up the middle?!?
- Giving BA props tonight. The O looked great

I am doing some training at Wright Patterson AFB and plan on coming to Pittsburgh to catch the Pirates this weekend (never been to PNC Park). And then I am going to my first game at Heinz stadium next weekend. Even if its only a preseason game, I am excited!

steelnavy
08-18-2011, 09:52 PM
My thoughts:

- Were those multiple screen passes thrown by Ben or am I dreaming?
- Every time I see Byron Leftwich, "what you talkin' bout Willis" comes into my head
- Is it me or is Ben starting to LOOK like Terry Bradshaw? When he was standing on the sideline, he had the same goofy grin on his face. Looked like a younger (but chunkier) Terry.
- Love Mwelde Moore but hate when they try and run him up the middle
- Ben played really well
- Cotchery looked great
- Wish the Steelers offense would reach into its bag of tricks all season...
- Were the running backs actualy getting holes up the middle?!?
- Giving BA props tonight. The O looked great

I am doing some training at Wright Patterson AFB and plan on coming to Pittsburgh to catch the Pirates this weekend (never been to PNC Park). And then I am going to my first game at Heinz stadium next weekend. Even if its only a preseason game, I am excited!

One more thought:

- Is Ben going to get screwed by the refs again this season? That first hit was darn late!

Sugar
08-18-2011, 10:25 PM

Um, Wright-Pat is in Dayton, OH- a good four hours from Pitt.

steelnavy
08-18-2011, 10:44 PM

Um, Wright-Pat is in Dayton, OH- a good four hours from Pitt.

Yes, thanks for the geography lesson! :tt2

I am visiting my parents near Pittsburgh both weekends. DiCarlos pizza and Primantis. Whoo hoo!

Djfan
08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
That first half was a good, old fashioned, butt kicking!

Props to BA from his number one hater!

insanesteelersfan
08-18-2011, 11:20 PM
We didn't have a single Screen pass tonight. Those were SWING Passes...totally different play. But nice to see them anyways as a quick option when the D comes with a pass rush.

DukieBoy
08-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Whoever the Steelers release out of their linebackers group will end up starting for the Dream Team's defense.

pittpete
08-19-2011, 12:28 AM
We didn't have a single Screen pass tonight. Those were SWING Passes...totally different play. But nice to see them anyways as a quick option when the D comes with a pass rush.

Rewatch the game, those were screens.
Defensive penetration was so quick it may have looked that way.

insanesteelersfan
08-19-2011, 12:34 AM

Pete, no they were not. Sorry but you are clueless on this one. A screen play is directly set-up to have the O-Line give an enitial block on the rushers, and then swing out where the receiver will catch the ball with the Linemen set up to block down field for him. Not in ANY of those plays were the steelers Linemen even attempting to sway over to that side. That was just a good ole Swing pass out in the flat to the offenses " Safety Valve " option. A play New England does with Faulk ALL the time. And it is NOT a screen pass.

steelblood
08-19-2011, 01:14 AM
That first half was a good, old fashioned, butt kicking!

BA called a great game and had most of his troops playing in sync.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 01:42 AM

it hurts me to say this, but BA did call a great game tonight! :o

steelz09
08-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Pete, no they were not. Sorry but you are clueless on this one. A screen play is directly set-up to have the O-Line give an enitial block on the rushers, and then swing out where the receiver will catch the ball with the Linemen set up to block down field for him. Not in ANY of those plays were the steelers Linemen even attempting to sway over to that side. That was just a good ole Swing pass out in the flat to the offenses " Safety Valve " option. A play New England does with Faulk ALL the time. And it is NOT a screen pass.

I saw both

pittpete
08-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Sorry but you are clueless on this one

So there you go attacking people with your holier than holier superior knowledge of everything football.
Ive been watching football for close to 30 years my man and I know what a FN screen play is.
I also know what a swing pass or dump off to a RB is.
You may have thought they werent screen plays, but when have you seen the Steelers run a successfull screen play in the last few years
My arguement with you ends here but you are disgusting to have on this board.
If anyone disagrees with you you feel you need to belittle them.

insanesteelersfan
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM

So there you go attacking people with your holier than holier superior knowledge of everything football.
Ive been watching football for close to 30 years my man and I know what a FN screen play is.
You may have thought they werent screen plays, but when have you seen the Steelers run a successfull screen play in the last few years

Pete, I didn't mean to say YOU were clueless. Just that your POINT was...and it is Pete. Notice Pete how NOBODY in this thread is even agreeing with you here. Bottom line I've been watching, and PLAYING football on the college level for 40 + years. And there were no screen plays in that game that I saw. And the ones to Moore were safety valve passes out in the flat.

Sorry if I hurt your little feelings :roll: But you need to lighten up Francis!!!

chiken
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Pete, I didn't mean to say YOU were clueless. Just that your POINT was...and it is Pete. Notice Pete how NOBODY in this thread is even agreeing with you here. Bottom line I've been watching, and PLAYING football on the college level for 40 + years. And there were no screen plays in that game that I saw. And the ones to Moore were safety valve passes out in the flat.

Sorry if I hurt your little feelings :roll: But you need to lighten up Francis!!!

Wasn't that play the Brown dropped in the first an attempted Screen play? A wide Receiver screen?

pittpete
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Just rewatched the first quarter of the game.
-1st quarter at 12:01 -off P/A to Redman, that is a screen with Colon and Johnson out front.
-1st quarter at 8:13- screen pass to Mendy with Colon and Johnson out front. Hills was being held by the the defender & couldnt get away.

Did Ben run a QB sneak last night in your game?

pittpete
08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I'll give ya time to get out your remote control....

pittpete
08-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Sorry if I hurt your little feelings But you need to lighten up Francis!!!

Here, I'll edit your post for ya...

Pete, I didn't mean to say YOU were clueless. Just that I may have been mistaken.
Notice Pete how NOBODY in this thread is even agreeing with you here, because if others dont agree with you then it cant possibly be true. Bottom line is I've been watching, and PLAYING football on the college level for 40 + years.(Wow, 40 years of college football,you must be in great shape).....
There were no screen plays in that game that I saw.I possibly could be mistaken.I will say the ones to Moore were safety valve passes out in the flatthough in my defense.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings but I usually spout off at the mouth w/o proof on everything I say.Ive been doing it since I was little kid and cant help myself.

msp26505
08-19-2011, 12:12 PM
DiCarlos pizza and Primantis. Whoo hoo!

What part of the valley are you from.

(I grew up in Moundsville).

DukieBoy
08-19-2011, 01:36 PM

I'm thinking that the best insanity defense is not an insanity offense. I'm thinking you can make your point more effectively with facts + respect.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM

I believe Ben came to the line of scrimmage and noticed absolutely no Eagles defenders lined up in the middle of the field over the center and called the QB sneak on his own.

Djfan
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM

I believe Ben came to the line of scrimmage and noticed absolutely no Eagles defenders lined up in the middle of the field over the center and called the QB sneak on his own.

I saw a lot of Ben being a field general last night. He seemed to be very aware of the defense and adjusted accordingly. Lot's of guys on the field did, too. Hot routes, adjustments, etc. It was a VERY well executed game by the offense.

jj28west
08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
For the second game of the preseason after a holdout I was shocked on the crisp timing between 1st/2nd/ & even third string QB's & WR's., the determined running from the RB's, and the statement made by the defense.

Didnt #35 look like he won a contest and Steelers let him play a couple drives? He got ran over, blown by when he tried to take an angle and completely taken out on some plays. Still did better then I could ever do.

steelnavy
08-19-2011, 10:30 PM
DiCarlos pizza and Primantis. Whoo hoo!

What part of the valley are you from.

(I grew up in Moundsville).

Wellsburg. Just finished eating some DiCarlos!

Slapstick
08-19-2011, 11:40 PM

When I was in high school, we called it a goose...

If the QB saw that the center was totally uncovered, he would goose the center to snap the ball, regardless of the snap count, and take off...

Ben went for 8 on that play, which is a nice chunk for a bit of improv...

pittpete
08-20-2011, 12:17 PM
:owned