SidSmythe
08-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Anyone know much about him???

BradshawsHairdresser
08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Looking pretty good so far.

steelernation77
08-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I always liked him at Michigan, he started almost his entire career there.

SidSmythe
08-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I really haven't followed much this offseason like normal. After the Superbowl loss and the lockout I followed only the draft. I noticed him last week in the Redskins game and see him on the field a lot tonight. Just curious about him and too lazy to do a google search, haha

steelernation77
08-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Well I did a search for ya.

Warren had a solid three year starting career at Michigan and was projected as a mid-round pick after coming out as a junior. He ran a a 4.59 40 though and it caused him to go undrafted. He spent some of last year on the Jets PS but was waived in September. We signed him in January.

buckeyehoppy
08-18-2011, 09:44 PM

I didn't like him at That School Up North. But I likes 'im as a Steeler :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

steelernation77
08-18-2011, 09:47 PM

I didn't like him at That School Up North. But I likes 'im as a Steeler :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Yeah I guess he just didn't care about tattoos enough to play for O$U.

Oh and I'm not scUM fan either.

pfelix73
08-18-2011, 10:30 PM
I thought he had a decent game against the Redskins- looking impressive tonite as well..

:tt1

What's up with this dude wearing #47? I don't like it....

:tt2

sentinel33
08-18-2011, 11:00 PM
yeah. he stood out nicely tonight.

cotchery looked great.

nice response after that whatever that was last week.

Dee Dub
08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
What I like about Warren is that he plays with confidence, doesnt appear to be lost, a sure takler in the open field, and he doesnt look too bad in coverage. I am impressed.

Prowler
08-18-2011, 11:14 PM
When Warren played for Michigan I thought the whole defense blew and I would not have taken any of those players for the Steelers. I must say however that I have been very impressed so far by him in preseason. Great job Donovan!!

MaxAMillion
08-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Warren looks like a decent back up. I would not want him starting, but I could see him developing into someone you could sub in as a 4th or 5th corner.

Dee Dub
08-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Warren looks like a decent back up. I would not want him starting, but I could see him developing into someone you could sub in as a 4th or 5th corner.

And you are ok with McFadden and Gay starting? Not me.

steelblood
08-19-2011, 12:43 AM
That sixth CB spot is up for grabs, I believe.

Ike
BMac
Gay
Brown (didn't look good tonight, but he's a 3rd round pick)
Lewis (probably secured a roster spot with solid play tonight)
and.....

Warren, Butler, Dockery?

Cortez Allen and Macho Harris probably don't have much of a shot to make the 53 man roster. They are running out of time. But, they are still in the mix.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Donovan Warren reminds me a little of Deshea Townsend...

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37077324E.jpg

jj28west
08-19-2011, 05:07 AM
There must have been thousands of us last night doing the same thing in googling #30 for the Steelers. In a nutshell he was given bad advice after a good college career as a CB from the draft experts and left early. He has been battling a bum ankle before the combine & during his pro day so this may be why he was not drafted. I think his 40 was like 4.6 seconds.

The other knock was he had stiff hips but seems all the weaknesses one draft site lists are the actual strengths on another so who knows.

Then there was the concussion during preseasons for the Jets in 2010 so that may be more bad timing along with tough competition.

Was he at safety last night?

Ghost
08-19-2011, 09:51 AM
I loved seeing him and Harrison meet up during the game when they were lying on the Eagles QB!!!

3 year starter for UM and lead the team in INT's in '09. He got a concussion ealry and missed most of the Jets camp and was cut. Talk of him being better suited for the safety position.

Love to see him at least make the practice squad for the entire season and see if he can't be coached up and be a legitimate back up and/or ST player.

Oviedo
08-19-2011, 10:28 AM

I don't feel good with any of them starting. Last night there was still alot of separation between the WRs and our DB. Thank goodness Vick was way off target. Curtis Brown was the only one I saw who did anything remotely close to actually covering a WR.

I'd put him in the starting line up opposite Ike on Day 1.

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
What's up with this dude wearing #47? I don't like it....

No disrespecting Scott "Mel Blount Jr." Shields' old jersey number! ;)

RuthlessBurgher
08-19-2011, 11:01 AM

I don't feel good with any of them starting. Last night there was still alot of separation between the WRs and our DB. Thank goodness Vick was way off target. Curtis Brown was the only one I saw who did anything remotely close to actually covering a WR.

I'd put him in the starting line up opposite Ike on Day 1.

I like Curtis Brown, but he's not remotely close to ready to be a starter on a top NFL defense at this point...yet.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Saturday, August 20, 2011

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers corners had a better game than Eagles corners, the biggest upset of the night. One of the new ones, Donovan Warren, played a lot of cornerback in the first half. He has had a nice camp and has an outside shot to bump one of the other corners off a roster spot.

Warren opted for the draft after his junior season at Michigan because he believed he would be drafted in the top three rounds. Draft analysts and the NFL advisory board that issues recommendations to juniors on when they might be selected agreed with him. Instead, he went undrafted and signed with the New York Jets as a free agent. The Jets cut him, did not carry him on their practice squad, and he was nowhere last season. The Steelers signed him in January for this season, and he is making a strong statement after three weeks of camp and two preseason games.

The Steelers usually keep six cornerbacks and four safeties. The four safeties are Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy and Will Allen. There are eight cornerbacks for six seats: Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler, rookies Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, and Warren. If they keep Warren and the two rookies, two veterans must go.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11232/11 ... z1VbMvLVNX (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11232/1168664-66-0.stm#ixzz1VbMvLVNX)