PDA

View Full Version : Goodell chose Vick's team?

Djfan
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
If this is true, then my already very low opinion of Goodell went down. Who does he think he is to decide which team a player goes to? It's like he things the NFL is his private little island.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/michael-vick-gq-interview-philadelphia_n_930395.html

Michael Vick GQ Interview: Eagles QB Says He 'Didn't Want To Come To Philadelphia'

First Posted: 8/18/11 12:34 PM ET Updated: 8/18/11 12:34 PM ET

Michael Vick's long road back to NFL stardom has been captivating. But if Vick had his way after his release from prison in 2009, then his recent success may never have happened.

The Philadelphia Eagles star, who was an MVP candidate in 2010, revealed in an interview with Will Leitch for GQ that Philadelphia was not his first choice.

"I didn't want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options," he told Leitch.

The GQ profile revealed that Vick was convinced by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and other league reps to sign with the Eagles despite having offers from Cincinnati and Buffalo, two places where he believed that he could have been the starting quarterback much sooner.

Vick signed with the Eagles in 2009 after serving 18 months in prison for being convicted of conspiracy and running a dogfighting ring.

As Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk points out, the Bills and Bengals will probably want to know why Vick was steered away from their teams.

The Bengals had, and sort of still have, quarterback Carson Palmer on their roster. Palmer ended up leading the Bengals to a 10-6 record and a playoff appearance that year.

Cincinnati could certainly use a Vick now, considering Palmer has requested to be traded and threatened to retire if that request is not granted.

Buffalo may have made Vick the starter in 2009 since they were listing the lackluster likes of Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick at the top of the depth chart. Of course, it's conceivable that one of those two options would still have been prefered to a guy who had been in jail for almost two years and out of the league since 2006.

In Vick's opinion, his redemption would not have been successful in those cities anyway.

"The reason I became a better player was because I came to Philly," he said later in the interview. Even when he was asked if he would be an All-Pro today had he never gone to prison, Vick said, "Only if I had gotten traded to the Philadelphia Eagles."

BradshawsHairdresser
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Goodell must go.

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Vick says it was his own decision to go to Philly

Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2011

And now we know why the Eagles didn’t want Mike Vick to be interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

In an interview with Will Leitch and published by GQ, Vick said that he wanted to sign in 2009 with the Bills or the Bengals, and that he was steered by the league to Philadelphia.

Here’s the key passage from the article: “‘I think I can say this now, because it’s not going to hurt anybody’s feelings, and it’s the truth,’ Vick tells me. . . . “I didn’t want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options.’ Those two teams wanted him and would’ve allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced — and granted league approval — to sign with Philly. ‘And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation.’”

Though Vick isn’t directly quoted as saying that Commissioner Roger Goodell or anyone else with the league recommended, suggested, and/or ordered that Vick go to the Eagles, the narrative information provided by Leitch makes it clear that Vick said something along those lines.

So what is Vick saying now? Like the league has done, Vick has denied that he was steered to Philly.

Here’s the full statement that he has released, through the Eagles: “I felt it was necessary to put out a statement today clarifying the article in GQ Magazine. I did speak with many people, but the decision to sign in Philadelphia was based on my discussions with my agent, my family and with Coach Reid. And after those discussions, it became clear to me that this was the place I wanted to play and resume my NFL career. The Commissioner never told me to sign or not sign with particular teams. Again, I want to make it perfectly clear that this was a decision I made and, as I have said numerous times before, I’m very happy with the way it has worked out for me and my family.”

Read the statement carefully. Does he say he didn’t get advice from Goodell or from any other league officials? Nope.

And who’s the “they” to whom Vick is referring when he says “they” put him “in the right situation”? His agent? His family? Coach Reid? Or the league?

Look for the Eagles to put the clamps on Vick, who has been increasingly available and chatty, over the next few weeks and possibly beyond. And whoever suggested that it made sense for Vick to do the GQ interview can look forward to some sort of a finger wagging from someone with the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-philly/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-it-was-his-own-decision-to-go-to-philly/)

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Who keeps Goodell accountable? Anyone?