PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rushmore Of Steeler Nation

Chavezz
08-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Saw this on another general NFL board and thought it would be interesting to see Steelers fan debate this. They set it up two ways.

For example

All Time
The Chief, Mean Joe, Terry Bradshaw, Lambert

After 1985

Rod Woodson, Hines Ward, Troy Polumalu, Dan Rooney

For the Steelers it's tough, we have so many great players that you have to leave off so many.

Just thought it was a cool idea and think we could get some good debate (arguments!) out of it.

Chavezz
08-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Now if we can even come to a consensus, that would make a heck of a photoshop contest too... hint hint

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multimedia/dynamic/00132/Mount_Rushmore_132242e.jpg

Eddie Spaghetti
08-17-2011, 07:53 PM
noll has to be on there.

Djfan
08-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Andy Russell is a strong candidate.

Honestly, we need our own mountain range, not just one mountain.

ALLD
08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
...and Franco. Immaculate Reception and SB IX MVP.

Chavezz
08-17-2011, 08:24 PM
See what I mean? It was funny watching what other teams were listing compared to what we have to leave off.

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
The Chief and Dan Rooney HAVE to be on it. Noll would represent the gold standard for coaches. Franco would go for the play that changed the organization

Chavezz
08-17-2011, 08:43 PM
The Chief and Dan Rooney HAVE to be on it. Noll would represent the gold standard for coaches. Franco would go for the play that changed the organization

So only one player and that's Franco to represent all Steelers players?

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 09:25 PM
:Cheers

So only one player and that's Franco to represent all Steelers players?
I wouldn't even put a player on it if I didn't have to. I'd put a lombardi on it instead.

flippy
08-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Impossible to be fair about it.

You've got multiple Rooneys, multiple coaches, and mutliple players that you could make a case for.

The 3 best players of all time are on the team right now imho, Ben, Troy, and James.

But they don't have the rings. It would be hard not to include Terry, Mean Joe, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Mel Blount, and Franco.

Then you could look at it as iconic players that transcend their position and the game like Troy, Lambert, Hines, Blount, Ben, and Harrison.

Then you've got HOFers to consider.

From a coaching standpoint, Noll has the rings, but could you argue Cowher was a better coach but just didn't have the QB? And Tomlin kinda fits in that iconic category and could end up being the best of the 3.

The Cheif would be a lock. But what about Dan and Jr?

I think my final choice would be:

The Chief, Noll, Mean Joe, and Ben

Covers all the eras. Gets a coach and owner and offense and defense.

D Rock
08-17-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm going to try and be strategic about this one. Who are the best players at each position?

Owner: The man who started it all...The Chief
Coach: Noll takes it (for now...)

QB: Tough for sure, but I'll have to say Ben because he's so unique. He's a man throwing the ball in a sissy's passing league.
RB: Dwy...uhh...I mean Franco.
WR: Ward. Yeah the others were great, but Ward is different from all other receivers while still doing what other receivers do, and doing it really well.
TE: Miller. Block, catch, he can do it all.
OL: Yikes. Is it Webby or Dirt. I need help from the panel on this one.

DL: Mean. Joe. Greene.
LB: Lambert. The man has defined an entire organization for 40 years.
CB: Again, I need the panel to weigh in. Is it Woodson or Blount?
S: Troy. He's a special breed that can't be matched in 'did you see that? how is that humanly possible?' by any other player in the league, except maybe Mike Vick.

My Mount Rushmore out of these guys:

Troy Polamalu. He's not human...how do you argue against that?

Ben Roethlisberger. QB's determine the fate of teams, and he is the best in the Steelers history.

The Chief. He started it all, of course he's in.

Jack Lambert. It's the Steelers, and he is the most intimidating linebacker in history. Done deal.

steelblood
08-17-2011, 11:39 PM
This isn't hard.

The Chief (this is what Dan would want)
Noll (Built our greatest team from the ground up)
Mean "Joe" Green - was the most talented player on that D, changed the game, helped develop the NT we see today, embodies pittsburgh
Lambert (We aren't putting offensive players on this thing! this is Pittsburgh!) - Gotta have that grill up there. It is iconic!

Love Troy and Ben, but they haven't earned a bust up there yet.

papillon
08-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Well, here's my Mount Steelmore

Art Rooney - Founder, gambler and philanthropist
Ben Roethlisberger - Brought winning back to SteelerNation after a long drought
Mike Webster - Showed up for work every day for a lot of years and is regarded by some as the best center ever.
Jack Lambert - Ensured that the Steelers were the intimidator

If I answer this question tomorrow I'd probably have four different Steelers on Mount Steelmore.

Pappy's backup Mount Steelmore

Chuck Noll - 4 time Super Bowl winning coach
Mean Joe Greene - The draft pick that started it all
Troy Polamalu - A player that forces offensive coordinators to think differently about how they want to play offense
Terry Bradshaw - 4 time Super Bowl winning quarterback

Pappy

Lonbull
08-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I've chosen my four Steelers based on what I see from the original Mt. Rushmore.

From left to right.

The Chief - much like Washington, he is (literally) the founding father of this organization. He helped a struggling new franchise (like a new country) and paved the way for future success.

Chuck Noll - like Jefferson he is the architect of a foundation of what is expected by Steeler teams year in and year out. His greatest drafts was not on paper (like Jefferson's numerous contributions) -- his drafts were made in the spring and brought championships in the Winter.

Jack Lambert - like Theodore Roosevelt, he is tough, gritty and ready of a fight....always! It's a toss up here between Lambert and Mean Joe Greene.....however when I think about the defense from the 70's Lambert's angry snarl is usually the first image that comes to mind.

finally

Hines Ward - I wanted one offensive player to be represented and Hines narrowly beats out a number of very qualified candidates (Franco Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw, the Bus....). My reasoning here is that like Abe Lincoln - he went through the dimmest of "modern" Steeler Nation struggles - and he has shown over time a hustle and determination that all Steeler WR's will have to live up too. If however he retires on another team....I will probably change my mind.

Myron Cope - was also a strong consideration as the "orator" (Lincoln's Gettysburg address).....however I think you have to represent the best of both offense and defense.

L.B.

Ozey74
08-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Mel Blount deserves some consideration. In many opinions, he is the best CB ever. Without him, we may of not had 4 SB in the 70's & he was such a force they had to name a rule after him -The Mel Blount Rule.

Hard to argue against the Art Sr, Lambert.

The last spot on my list would go to Bradshaw. He led us to 4 SB. The Steelers tradition is so rich and accomplished, I can't see putting any post 70's guy on the list. If Big Ben can win 2 more, he can take Bradshaw's spot.

:tt2

Djfan
08-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Mean Joe completely changed the Steelers. He brought a culture of dominance and winning. Even though Lambert and Blount are clearly best of all time in their positions, Joe Greene was the first "Winner" the defense - the future legacy of the whole team - had.

DukieBoy
08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
And, how about a Planet Steelers Mount Rushmore ? Who belongs up there ???

flippy
08-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Gotta start with jhansle1. He's the Chief of Planet Steelers. Legend has it the he started this site with some winning from the dog tracks in WV. I think it was a $2 bet on some little known dog, and the rest is history. This place wasn't much in the early years, but jhansle1 stuck with it and now we've been in 3 of the last 6 SuperBowls. We wouldn't be where we are today with out the one and only legend - jhansle1. The only lock for PSMR in my book.

Then you got RuthlessBurger. He's like the MJG of the board. He's the nastiest SOB to ever post around these parts. He was the key cog that started the whole dynasty. Set the tone. And at the end of the day, he posts a lot. The most in fact. This guy sets the tone for this place. He's a legend.

Now it gets harder. There's another 30-40 posters that we could easily make the case for the final 2 spots. It's so hard picking from all the quality we've got at PS. Imagine if we were on PlanetBrowns or PlanetBengals - we couldn't even find one poster who's worthy of their Mount Rushmore. Just reminds you how lucky we are to have such a roster that no other board can compare to. Our #40 is a better choice than PlanetRam's #1.

My next choice would be Hawaiian. He's like the Chuck Noll to Fordfixer's Mike Tomlin and it was a hard call. These guys find all the Steelers articles out there that I need to be reading day in and day out. And they're consistent. We've only needed a small handful of article finders in the history of this board. We've got consistency. Over at PlanetBills, they seem to have a new jackarse every week posting new articles. They change article finders more often than DukieBoy changes his underwear. Consistency leads to SuperBowls and we've won 2 under Hawaiian and FF's tutelage. I gave Hawaiian the edge cause that guy has to be ready by 7am for Sunday kickoffs. He's gotta start tailgaiting the night before the game. That's dedication. Would FF be ready by 7am on Sunday's for Football? Maybe, it's hard to compare different eras. The game has changed so much over the years. FF's skills would likely transfer to Hawaii. Wanna move there and give it a shot?

The last slot gets even harder, but I have to give the nod to the crazy Australian - Chadman. That guy's watching football while the rest of us would be sleeping. He's like the Big Ben of the board. Someone who's a little different than all the others at his respective position. ESPN wants to prop up guys like MarshaBrady over @ PlanetCheaters and PeytonsGiantForehead @ PlanetColts and even MikeVickAteMyDog @ PlanetIggles. But those guys would fail miserably behind our horrible and offensive line (up) of posters. Chadman carries us. He's just different. He refers to himself in 3rd person and as a result enables him to make posts those others could only dream of. He extends posts and pulls out something amazing at the end of the day when it counts most. Sure, he disappears at times (most of the day in fact while he's probably sleeping). So he's never gonna get the credit and respect of others. But I don't care what ESPN thinks of CHadman. Their new MBR (MessBoard Rating System) is crap. It just doesn't account for what Chadman brings to the table.

DukieBoy
08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
You nailed it Flip!
Chisel those faces in stone.

D Rock
08-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Dont forget D Rock. After all, he IS the reigning Planet Steelers Fantasy Football champion, as well as running the league and setting up PS Mock Drafts year after year.

fordfixer
08-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Gotta start with jhansle1. He's the Chief of Planet Steelers. Legend has it the he started this site with some winning from the dog tracks in WV. I think it was a $2 bet on some little known dog, and the rest is history. This place wasn't much in the early years, but jhansle1 stuck with it and now we've been in 3 of the last 6 SuperBowls. We wouldn't be where we are today with out the one and only legend - jhansle1. The only lock for PSMR in my book.

Then you got RuthlessBurger. He's like the MJG of the board. He's the nastiest SOB to ever post around these parts. He was the key cog that started the whole dynasty. Set the tone. And at the end of the day, he posts a lot. The most in fact. This guy sets the tone for this place. He's a legend.

Now it gets harder. There's another 30-40 posters that we could easily make the case for the final 2 spots. It's so hard picking from all the quality we've got at PS. Imagine if we were on PlanetBrowns or PlanetBengals - we couldn't even find one poster who's worthy of their Mount Rushmore. Just reminds you how lucky we are to have such a roster that no other board can compare to. Our #40 is a better choice than PlanetRam's #1.

My next choice would be Hawaiian. He's like the Chuck Noll to Fordfixer's Mike Tomlin and it was a hard call. These guys find all the Steelers articles out there that I need to be reading day in and day out. And they're consistent. We've only needed a small handful of article finders in the history of this board. We've got consistency. Over at PlanetBills, they seem to have a new jackarse every week posting new articles. They change article finders more often than DukieBoy changes his underwear. Consistency leads to SuperBowls and we've won 2 under Hawaiian and FF's tutelage. I gave Hawaiian the edge cause that guy has to be ready by 7am for Sunday kickoffs. He's gotta start tailgaiting the night before the game. That's dedication. Would FF be ready by 7am on Sunday's for Football? Maybe, it's hard to compare different eras. The game has changed so much over the years. FF's skills would likely transfer to Hawaii. Wanna move there and give it a shot?

The last slot gets even harder, but I have to give the nod to the crazy Australian - Chadman. That guy's watching football while the rest of us would be sleeping. He's like the Big Ben of the board. Someone who's a little different than all the others at his respective position. ESPN wants to prop up guys like MarshaBrady over @ PlanetCheaters and PeytonsGiantForehead @ PlanetColts and even MikeVickAteMyDog @ PlanetIggles. But those guys would fail miserably behind our horrible and offensive line (up) of posters. Chadman carries us. He's just different. He refers to himself in 3rd person and as a result enables him to make posts those others could only dream of. He extends posts and pulls out something amazing at the end of the day when it counts most. Sure, he disappears at times (most of the day in fact while he's probably sleeping). So he's never gonna get the credit and respect of others. But I don't care what ESPN thinks of CHadman. Their new MBR (MessBoard Rating System) is crap. It just doesn't account for what Chadman brings to the table.

We need to find room for our own Hines Ward look alike Angry Asian. If for no other reason when he gets left out of a thread his little slanted eye's get all red and puffy :lol: :lol: j/k............. About the eye's I mean

Sugar
08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I would put the Chief first, followed by Noll, the Chin and Coach T to represent the era's of the organization. They all won SB's and the Chief was the man who started it all.

Iron Shiek
08-19-2011, 10:40 PM
i'm late to the game here, but i had to see if anyone mentioned myron cope (i saw lonbull did, but cope missed the cut).

I think in terms of "Steeler Nation", it'd only be right to have the owner (that started the legacy for us), the coach of the dynasty, a representative (player) of the present (and MVP) and the voice of the team (and fans...and of course he would also represent our favorite piece of cloth).

So my nod goes to the Chief, Noll, Hines, and Cope.

Yeah it sucks leaving some big names (or faces) off, but i think this is a good representation of the entire legacy of Steeler Nation.

:tt2

Flasteel
08-20-2011, 12:39 AM
I would put the Chief first, followed by Noll, the Chin and Coach T to represent the era's of the organization. They all won SB's and the Chief was the man who started it all.

I like it!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ir6yw6.jpg

Sugar
08-20-2011, 12:59 AM

I like it!

"LIKE" :lol:

D Rock
08-20-2011, 02:03 AM

I like it!

funny you should say that....this is already my facebook picture. HUGE props Flasteel!

Discipline of Steel
08-20-2011, 08:11 AM
I dont see how you could leave off Lamberts Dracula scowl? And frankly Big Ben represents the resurrection of the team as Super Bowl contenders for a whole new generation. Id say it has to be The Chief, Noll, Lambert, and Big Ben.

Flasteel
08-20-2011, 09:34 AM

I like it!

funny you should say that....this is already my facebook picture. HUGE props Flasteel!

Thanks brother. :-)

By the way, I liked Sugar's suggestion best for a couple of reasons.
1. Mt. Rushmore features America's greatest leaders. Our head coaches and founder would probably be more analogous to this than players would.

2. If you concede the Chief has to be there (and I think nearly all of us do), then there is no way you can adequately choose only 3 players. The simple solution for me is to leave them all off and go with the architects of our greatness.

Chavezz
08-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I've chosen my four Steelers based on what I see from the original Mt. Rushmore.

From left to right.

The Chief - much like Washington, he is (literally) the founding father of this organization. He helped a struggling new franchise (like a new country) and paved the way for future success.

Chuck Noll - like Jefferson he is the architect of a foundation of what is expected by Steeler teams year in and year out. His greatest drafts was not on paper (like Jefferson's numerous contributions) -- his drafts were made in the spring and brought championships in the Winter.

Jack Lambert - like Theodore Roosevelt, he is tough, gritty and ready of a fight....always! It's a toss up here between Lambert and Mean Joe Greene.....however when I think about the defense from the 70's Lambert's angry snarl is usually the first image that comes to mind.

finally

Hines Ward - I wanted one offensive player to be represented and Hines narrowly beats out a number of very qualified candidates (Franco Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw, the Bus....). My reasoning here is that like Abe Lincoln - he went through the dimmest of "modern" Steeler Nation struggles - and he has shown over time a hustle and determination that all Steeler WR's will have to live up too. If however he retires on another team....I will probably change my mind.

Myron Cope - was also a strong consideration as the "orator" (Lincoln's Gettysburg address).....however I think you have to represent the best of both offense and defense.

L.B.

I like the reasoning on this one LB.

It would be neat to do a poll option where we can list 10-15 people and the top 4 receiving votes would be the "winner".

Chavezz
08-20-2011, 09:53 AM

I like it!

Awesome! This is what I had in mind.

I wish I had these skills!

Sugar
08-20-2011, 11:31 AM

I like it!

Thanks brother. :-)

By the way, I liked Sugar's suggestion best for a couple of reasons.
1. Mt. Rushmore features America's greatest leaders. Our head coaches and founder would probably be more analogous to this than players would.

2. If you concede the Chief has to be there (and I think nearly all of us do), then there is no way you can adequately choose only 3 players. The simple solution for me is to leave them all off and go with the architects of our greatness.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. That pic is wicked sweet, btw!!!

MeetJoeGreene
08-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Ok. I am going to do one from the 70s and one post 70s.

I am going to pick 2 from the O and 2 from the D.

70s Nominations (D) - Mean Joe, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, LC.
70s Nominations (O) - Bradshaw, Franco, Swann, Stallworth, Webster

Final Four: Mean Joe, Lambert, Bradshaw, Franco

Post 70s:
Nominations (D) - Carnell Lake, Rod Woodson, Gregg Llyyoodd, Joey Porter, Casey Hamption, Troy P, James Farrior, James Harrison

Nominations (O): The Bus, Hines Ward, Big Ben, Dermontti Dawson, Alan Faneca.

Final Four: Rod, Troy, Bus, Hines

I would do a 3rd one for the Leaders with The Chief, The Emperor, Cowher, and Colbert

DukieBoy
08-20-2011, 01:05 PM

I like it!

x2 It's on my FB, too (hope that's OK).

Great Pic, great work.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Are other teams putting their versions of the Chief and Noll on there, or is that only a Steeler Nation phenomenon?

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Dont forget D Rock. After all, he IS the reigning Planet Steelers Fantasy Football champion

sorry D Rock, but winning only one Planet Steelers Fantasy Football Championship is not going to get you up on Mt Rushmore.

however, if you were to win it again this year we would have to give you serious consideration... :Beer

D Rock
08-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Dont forget D Rock. After all, he IS the reigning Planet Steelers Fantasy Football champion

sorry D Rock, but winning only one Planet Steelers Fantasy Football Championship is not going to get you up on Mt Rushmore.

however, when you win it again this year we will have to give you serious consideration... :Beer

fixed that for ya

Chavezz
08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Are other teams putting their versions of the Chief and Noll on there, or is that only a Steeler Nation phenomenon?

It's on the kffl.com general NFL board but yes, they are. There aren't the amount doing it but a few. Lombardi, George Halas, Robert Kraft, Paul Brown, Jimmy Johnson etc.

fordfixer
08-21-2011, 07:01 PM
We need to find room for our own Hines Ward look alike Angry Asian. If for no other reason when he gets left out of a thread his little slanted eye's get all red and puffy :lol: :lol: j/k............. About the eye's I mean

Well if no one else want's Angry Asian on there, I guess we will just have to let him have a smiley that looks like him :x :lol: :lol: