PDA

View Full Version : Sweed cut

PSU_dropout43
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Steelers placed WR Limas Sweed on Waived/Injured List and also waived TE Eugene Bright from the PUP List.

Ken_Laird Ken Laird
RT @steelers: We have released and placed WR Limas Sweed on our Waived/Injured List
1 hour ago

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 10:06 AM
And so it ends...

Djfan
08-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Too bad, but who really didn't see it coming?

AkronSteel
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Adios Limas!!! Good Luck to ya.....hope you find a job somewhere!!! I heard FedEx is hiring and Tommy Maddox may need some help selling some insurance!!!

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Good riddance and good luck...

I always felt Sweed would never be able to get over the "what if's" while in our uniform.

papillon
08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
What a colossal string of bad luck and poor performance. He didn't even give himself a chance this year because of the shoulder injury. I wonder if anyone will claim him.

Pappy

Jooser
08-17-2011, 10:28 AM
the writing was on the wall with the signing of Cotchery

Chadman
08-17-2011, 10:34 AM
And after all that- it ends not with a bang, but a whimper.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
What a colossal string of bad luck and poor performance. He didn't even give himself a chance this year because of the shoulder injury. I wonder if anyone will claim him.

Pappy

bad luck, bad timing, bad psychology...

I have a hard time believing it's all injuries..

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
And after all that- it ends not with a bang, but a whimper.

I really hope he finds a spot on another team. I fear for his safety if this is the last time he straps on a helmet.

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 10:41 AM
the writing was on the wall with the signing of Cotchery

:Agree The signing of Cotchery pretty much spelled the end of him. I think they were keeping him around as insurance if Manny Sanders recovery went bad but since he is starting to run now they probably have a better feel about that...although I am still really nervous that he will do as much this year as last.

I wish Sweed well. He seems like a good kid who maybe stepped into something that was too big for him and became overwhelmed.

Sugar
08-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Maybe the Ravens will pick him up? I hear they need receivers these days.

:ratsuck

costanza2k1
08-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Feel bad for the guy, being a underdog fan (even though he was a 2nd round pick) I was rooting for him. This move will end up giving him another chance with another team to start fresh. Hopefully his luck will change and he'll end up having some sort of career in the NFL.

chiken
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Not to sound like a prick but thank goodness man. Too much energy was being wasted praying for this kid..

costanza2k1
08-17-2011, 11:05 AM
I do agree too much energy was being spent on this guy, wonder how much of this was a distraction. I kind of feel relieved now that I don't have to be on the Sweed cheerleading squad.

Shoe
08-17-2011, 11:09 AM
It shows that scouting get it right sometimes too. Going into his last college season, everyone had him as a solid #1. Only until he was dissected post-season apparently when they figured him more where he was eventually drafted.

His drop in that one game pretty much sums up his career with the Steelers.

chiken
08-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I do agree too much energy was being spent on this guy, wonder how much of this was a distraction. I kind of feel relieved now that I don't have to be on the Sweed cheerleading squad.

Amen brother.. :Agree

BradshawsHairdresser
08-17-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm not shedding any tears for Limas. If I've figured it right, he made over $2.3 million over the past three years...If you figure that salary against his production, his compensation was absurd. If he never plays another down of football, he should have a nice headstart on whatever other career he chooses. We should all be so unlucky.

If anything, I feel bad for the Steelers. What a colossal waste of a draft pick.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not shedding any tears for Limas. If I've figured it right, he made over $2.3 million over the past three years...If you figure that salary against his production, his compensation was absurd. If he never plays another down of football, he should have a nice headstart on whatever other career he chooses. We should all be so unlucky.

If anything, I feel bad for the Steelers. What a colossal waste of a draft pick.

true... but he was so close, if he hangs onto the ball in the San Diego game I think his career would have taken off.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
And so it ends...

It's not over until we say it's over!!!!!

Okay, it is over.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
And so it ends...

Okay, it is over.

it's been over...

The Sweed talk reminded me of fans who sit in the stadium for an hour or 2 after losing a playoff game. I keep thinking about that Raven fan sitting in the stands with the sad face...

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 12:19 PM
And so it ends...

Okay, it is over.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Germans?

Forget it, he's rolling.

steelblood
08-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Why cut him now? Hopefully, the rest of our receivers continue to recover/stay healthy.

I could see the rats signing him to pick his brain for week one which is why I'd wait to cut him.

chiken
08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Picking his brain and getting what? how nice our Icetub is? Our mental patient Ward? What a Swell guys the Rooneys are?

I am willing to bet that the Ravens know our offense better than he does at this point.

DHSF
08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
It would tick me off for him to get picked up by another team, especially one from our division, and then he finally have a break out year. Who was the linebacker we cut that got picked up by New England and did so well? Edit. Just remembered...Mike Vrable.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Picking his brain and getting what? how nice our Icetub is? Our mental patient Ward? What a Swell guys the Rooneys are?

I am willing to bet that the Ravens know our offense better than he does at this point.

wow... :lol:

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 12:42 PM
It would tick me off for him to get picked up by another team, especially one from our division, and then he finally have a break out year. Who was the linebacker we cut that got picked up by New England and did so well?
Mike Vrabel

aggiebones
08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
About time.

And PLEASE don't compare him to Vrabel who was playing VERY well for us and was a star in the making. Problem was that we were loaded at LB and LB contracts at that time. WR is not in that situation today. If he showed ANYTHING, we would keep him. He's waste of space along with some of the other loved camp goons, like Dwyer. Get the feck out.

There are a few more that will follow soon.

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I would have waited until Friday to cut him, just as insurance for Thursday nights game. As much as I wanted him to breakout, I don't think he ever was going to. Can he still make it? absolutely, and I wish him the best of luck.

TD386Steel
08-17-2011, 12:55 PM
:(

phillyesq
08-17-2011, 01:09 PM
It would tick me off for him to get picked up by another team, especially one from our division, and then he finally have a break out year. Who was the linebacker we cut that got picked up by New England and did so well?
Mike Vrabel

Vrabel wasn't cut. He signed with NE as a free agent (can't remember if he was restricted or unrestricted).

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I would have waited until Friday to cut him, just as insurance for Thursday nights game. As much as I wanted him to breakout, I don't think he ever was going to. Can he still make it? absolutely, and I wish him the best of luck.

Had to be frustrating for the FO and coaching staff.

Ghost
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
This is a great move. Even if he goes to another team and lights it up he was done here - mentally and physically. Obviously the coaches had lost faith - they desparately wanted Plex in here.

And they signed 2 veteran d-backs: Kevin Dockery (6 years in the NFL) and Macho Harris (3 years) to add some needed depth, even if they are not starters. Got to cut someone, might as well be a TE from the PUP list and a WR that wasn't goign to make the team.

Steelhere10
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Please Keenan be next, it's time to stop wasting space on this kid also.

Vindrow
08-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Hey Sweed,

Hear that phone ringing, Whiz is calling he's got a spot for you at Steelers West.

insanesteelersfan
08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
I will assume that the poster " Snatch " is holding a candlelight Vigil right about now :lol: :roll:

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Mike Vrabel

Vrabel wasn't cut. He signed with NE as a free agent (can't remember if he was restricted or unrestricted).
I know this. But that was the Lb'er he was referring to.

Jigawatts
08-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I know Sweed is nowhere near Jamarcus Russell's neighborhood, but exactly how much
mula did Sweed make to come to Pittsburgh for a few seasons and basically do nothing?

I'm sure he's not happy with the fact that he has been busted and cut, but presuming another
NFL team doesn't pick him up Sweed should have a nice chunk of change to live on for a
while. :moon

grotonsteel
08-17-2011, 03:29 PM
What a waste of draft pick. So we now have Limas Sweed and Bruce Davis cut from that draft. Not a great draft I would say.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
I know Sweed is nowhere near Jamarcus Russell's neighborhood, but exactly how much
mula did Sweed make to come to Pittsburgh for a few seasons and basically do nothing?

I'm sure he's not happy with the fact that he has been busted and cut, but presuming another
NFL team doesn't pick him up Sweed should have a nice chunk of change to live on for a

unless he dropped that ball too :stirpot

sorry, couldn't help it.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 03:32 PM
What a waste of draft pick. So we now have Limas Sweed and Bruce Davis cut from that draft. Not a great draft I would say.

horrible draft...

but I had no problem with the pick at the time and still think it was a solid pick. The guy can't catch wide open NFL footballs when the lights are on... who knew?

BradshawsHairdresser
08-17-2011, 03:50 PM

About 2.3 million $$ over three years, if I did my math correctly.

Yup. Like I said, I'm not shedding any tears for him...we should all be so unlucky.

Gus
08-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Okay, now that Sweed is cut, I can state my bust nickname for him. There always seem to be nicknames for our picks that indicate how they are a bust before they are given time to develop. I personally don't like to feed the bust factor by creating names that put them in that category. I like to root for the guy up until he's not wearing black and gold.

Well, Sweed isn't in black and gold anymore so: See ya Lame'arse Sweed.
(had to put 'arse' to avoid the auto editing)

Northern_Blitz
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM

I like to think that we cut him early to give him some kind of chance to catch on with another team. Hope it works out for this kid (except on days when he plays the B&G).

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 04:05 PM

I like to think that we cut him early to give him some kind of chance to catch on with another team. Hope it works out for this kid (except on days when he plays the B&G).
That's the part I don't understand. He would have gotten extensive work on Thursday so they could have let him show himself off a little bit. Now teams have NO game film of him whatsoever. Hard to get a look if there isn't anything to see.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Sweed signed a 4 year contract worth $3.3M. His salary for this season was to be $555K. So, if he earned every other dollar out of that deal then he collected just shy of $2.8M over 3 years.

Hopefully he banked a good portion of it.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2011, 04:11 PM

Sweed signed a 4 year contract worth $3.3M. His salary for this season was to be $555K. So, if he earned every other dollar out of that deal then he collected just shy of $2.8M over 3 years.

I think he spent most of it seeing psychiatrists...

Djfan
08-17-2011, 04:48 PM

They owe him a refund.

insanesteelersfan
08-17-2011, 04:59 PM

Hell HE probably didn't spend a nickle. It was probably paid under his NFL Insurance policy :wft

DukieBoy
08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Not the outcome I had hoped for, but must say it seems sensible. I imagine the organization wishes him well and may be doing him a favor by releasing him to have a chance to find success elswhere. I hope he finds a place and experiences some success, for his own well-being.

steelz09
08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Sweed is one of the biggest Steelers busts in recent memory from a pure expectations to outcome perspective.

MaxAMillion
08-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Thank God, I have been praying they would cut this guy so everyone could move on. He won't be missed.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 07:14 PM

That's the part I don't understand. He would have gotten extensive work on Thursday so they could have let him show himself off a little bit. Now teams have NO game film of him whatsoever. Hard to get a look if there isn't anything to see.

what makes you think he would have gotten extensive work on Thursday? Haven't you learned yet? Put the sWeed down, it's over...

Just joking! LOL

ALLD
08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
It got into his head and the voices got to him. He is probably just as relieved it is over.

That being said, it is truly the biggest WR bust for the Steelers in modern history. Especially when you compare all the Super Bowl MVP/HoFers WRs the team produced not including the one on the Giants. Not to mention the current future HoFer on the team and Mike Wallace.

Djfan
08-17-2011, 08:04 PM
I can't stop thinking about this:

It is said that DBs are just receivers who can't catch. You have to wonder if we could have recreated him for one of our very big needs.

NorthCoast
08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
well it did happen a little sooner than i thought it would....but the outcome was as predicted.
be honest, if the game was on the line and Sweed was in the open streaking for the endzone waiting on the bomb from Ben, my guess is at least half the Steeler faithful would be holding their collective breaths....

winwithd
08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
James Harrison was cut 3 or 4 times before he made it. Maybe we'll see Limas again.

Why sign average to below-average DBs cut by other teams when you have a stable full of young DBs who need game time?

Northern_Blitz
08-17-2011, 10:07 PM
That being said, it is truly the biggest WR bust for the Steelers in modern history. Especially when you compare all the Super Bowl MVP/HoFers WRs the team produced not including the one on the Giants. Not to mention the current future HoFer on the team and Mike Wallace.

I'd go with Troy Edwards for biggest WR bust for the Steelers in modern history.

http://www.nfl.com/player/troyedwards/2500520/profile

7 starts with just about 1200 total yards in 3 seasons. Not what you're looking for out of the 13th overall pick. And that was when our WR corps was pretty terrible.

insanesteelersfan
08-17-2011, 10:08 PM

I'd go with Troy Edwards for biggest WR bust for the Steelers in modern history.

How can you call Edwards a bigger Bust then Sweed ? That's ridiculous. Edwards at LEAST led our team in Receiving his rookie year. No way, not even close.

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 10:25 PM
It got into his head and the voices got to him. He is probably just as relieved it is over.

Even though we got one good year and two other somewhat crappy years out of Troy Edwards, and got three craptastic seasons of absolute nothingness out of Limas Sweed, I still think a WR bust at #13 trumps a WR bust at #53 every day of the week.

Northern_Blitz
08-17-2011, 10:27 PM

How can you call Edwards a bigger Bust then Sweed ? That's ridiculous. Edwards at LEAST led our team in Receiving his rookie year. No way, not even close.

Because he was the 13th OVERALL pick on a team with terrible WRs and couldn't get playing time. A guy picked that high should be the cornerstone of your team for the majority of his career (think Big Ben - 11th overall / Troy Polamalu - 16th overall).

When TE led the WRs on the team he had 750 yards. He led the team becasue the WRs sucked (except Hines who we never gave a chance). He had less than 100 total catches in the three years we had him. This was a guy that was touted to be the saviour of the WR corps and he couldn't crack the starting line up. Instead, we had to burn another high first rounder in the 2000 draft (Plax) because he sucked. Once there was competition for receptions he totaled 37 catches for less than 500 yards (in 2 years).

Sweed's performance is dissapointing. But I think that the expectations for the 53rd overall pick are exponentially lower than the 13th overall pick.

insanesteelersfan
08-17-2011, 10:29 PM
No it doesn't. It's called supply and demand. And even though Edwards was easily considered a 1st rounder, but in the 20-25 range. The bottom line was we were in desperate need of drafting a WR. And the only two others that we were wanting were already drafted above us. I know we tried real hard to get David Boston, but when that failed, we had to go with Edwards. Yes we could have tried to trade down, and who knows maybe we did. But by doing that, you also risk another team drafting Edwards, and then you're totally screwed.

So no. You are 100 % wrong. Edwards is nowhere near the Bust that Sweed was.

Slapstick
08-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Edwards was twice the bust that Sweed was...

Edwards was horribly overdrafted at #13...at the time, Sweed was considered a value pick at #53...

If my research is correct, Edwards was given a $4 million bonus back in 1999...he then made about $1.12 million in salary over the next three years...

In all ways, Edwards was a bigger bust...

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 10:57 PM
I know we tried real hard to get David Boston, but when that failed, we had to go with Edwards.

No, we didn't have to go with Edwards. We could have drafted John Tait or Jevon Kearse instead. I had Torry Holt and David Boston (D'oh!) as #1 and #1a on my wish list that year, but if they were gone, my next targets were Tait or Kearse, not a second-rate WR at a premium price. Bad teams reach to fill needs. We rarely fall into that trap, but we certainly did on this occassion.

DukieBoy
08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Sweed's "bust" was affected in significant part by injuries. Don't know if Edwards' "bust" in the Burgh had much at all to do with injuries, but I suspect it had more to do with limits to his talent. Edwards turned out to be a bad pick for #13. Hard to blame a guy for the bad luck of his injuries, and when he trains hard to get back it's worth some respect. Can't respect malingering, though and there has been at least the appearance of malingering in Sweed's time with the Steelers. Limas has turned out to be a 2nd round disappointment for the Steelers, and certainly has not fulfilled expectations, but I just can't see that at the same level as the Edwards high 1st round bust.

insanesteelersfan
08-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Edwards was a reach at 13 yes. But not a huge one at all. Several draft sites had us taking Edwards at 13 in fact. And there wasn't a single enity that did not have Edwards any lower then 25th on their top-30 players,,,not one.
Remember, Edwards was also injured in his 3rd season, and never fully recovered. As Injured as Sweed was, he still played his entire rookie season injury free. He just dropped pass after pass, and couldn't run basic routes. Like it or not, in 99 the steelers NEEDED another WR. You can cherry pick now all you want about J.Kearse,,who BTW would have been a BUST in Pittsburgh cause he was never a LB in his life, and had NO 3-4 slkills at all. But bottom line, even though Edwards was marginal at best as a NFL WR, he still GAVE us production. Whether he was the 13th pick or a mid-2nd rounder is not the point. 2nd rounders are JUST as expected to perform rather quickley as 1st rounders are. Now if Sweed would have been a 5th rounder,,,I could see your point. But as is, you don't have one. You can believe what you wish, but Sweed is the Bigger Busto!! :Clap

BradshawsHairdresser
08-18-2011, 12:55 AM
I wish that the argument we were having was over which of two SUCCESSFUL players was the best VALUE ... Just sayin'.....

birtikidis
08-18-2011, 01:01 AM
Edwards may have been the second biggest bust in Steeler history. Not only was he a reach but he was garbage.

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 02:26 AM
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17, 2011

posted by Dale Lolley

Limas Sweed was a dead man walking and his teammates knew it.

A couple of years ago, you'd see Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes playing jokes on Sweed during practice, yukking it up with him on the sidelines.

This year, it was almost like he was a leper. He moped around the practice field and his teammates seemed to avoid him.

It just goes to show how things can change.

Kevin Colbert will take some heat for cutting loose a former second-round draft pick, but let's be honest, this wasn't Alonzo Jackson-like.

Had the Steelers not taken Sweed in the second round, somebody else would have. Had the Steelers not selected Jackson in the second round, it's likely he would have slipped to the middle rounds.

Sweed may also get an opportunity to play for somebody else in the league, ala. Ricardo Colclough, another former second-round bust.

Colclough was considered a bust with the Steelers, but spent six seasons in the NFL. That's not a bust. He was an NFL player.

Jackson was out of football a year after the Steelers cut him. That, my friends, is a bust.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Jooser
08-18-2011, 02:38 AM
James Harrison was cut 3 or 4 times before he made it. Maybe we'll see Limas again.

Why sign average to below-average DBs cut by other teams when you have a stable full of young DBs who need game time?

Jimmy Hate had heart though (even if it's black and filled with murderous thoughts). Sweed's a bum, no heart.

steelblood
08-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Edwards was a reach at 13 yes. But not a huge one at all. Several draft sites had us taking Edwards at 13 in fact. And there wasn't a single enity that did not have Edwards any lower then 25th on their top-30 players,,,not one.
Remember, Edwards was also injured in his 3rd season, and never fully recovered. As Injured as Sweed was, he still played his entire rookie season injury free. He just dropped pass after pass, and couldn't run basic routes. Like it or not, in 99 the steelers NEEDED another WR. You can cherry pick now all you want about J.Kearse,,who BTW would have been a BUST in Pittsburgh cause he was never a LB in his life, and had NO 3-4 slkills at all. But bottom line, even though Edwards was marginal at best as a NFL WR, he still GAVE us production. Whether he was the 13th pick or a mid-2nd rounder is not the point. 2nd rounders are JUST as expected to perform rather quickley as 1st rounders are. Now if Sweed would have been a 5th rounder,,,I could see your point. But as is, you don't have one. You can believe what you wish, but Sweed is the Bigger Busto!! :Clap

Did the insane gentleman just applaud himself? Unprecedented!

Ghost
08-18-2011, 08:31 AM

Did the insane gentleman just applaud himself? Unprecedented!

insanesteelersfan would like to thank insanesteelersfan for his contributions to this thread. insanesteelersfan thinks this board is a much better place with insanesteelersfan as a poster. insanesteelersfan likes Elaine....

feltdizz
08-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Sweed is the bigger bust IMO.

You have to remember who our QB's were in when Edwards was drafted. Sweed has a HOFer QB throwing soft passes right into his bread basket...

Edwards had Kordell, Tomzak throwing in the dirt in a run first offense....

Sweed pulled a Bettis to get his salary. When Sweed saw Brown make that catch in the Ravens playoff game last year he started thinking about how he could get a paycheck because he knew he wasn't going to make this team.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Guys...How could you sugar coat what happened?

Sweed's disappointment, bust, whatever you want to call was not a direct result of injuries. He had a devastating injury last year but you can't include "injuries" as any reasoning. You just "get it" when you walk on the field. Sweed never did. Don't sugar coat it. Sweed's dismissal was about his lack of production when healthy. If you want to say he lost opportunities because he was injured....fine. However, Sweed was given more than enough opportunites to prove himself & seperate himself from lesser competition and he didn't.

In all honesty, he felt sorry for himself and used injuries an excuse. The fact that he suited up and stood on the sidelines the first preseason game when it was all on the line tells you all you needed to know about Sweed. At the point, all Sweed supporters should have seen the writing on the wall. Not to offend the wonderful Steeler Chicks we have in here...But old school saying since the beginning of time..."That's why Girls don't play Football!"

BradshawsHairdresser
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
As they're fond of saying on another site, "Limas peed the bed as a toddler...and he still does."

feltdizz
08-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Sweed had a chance to force the coaches to play him this preseason but hechose to play injured to get paid instead of trying to unseat someone. I can't really blame him given his head problems and chances of making this or any team given his contributions the last 3 years.

The photo with his shoulder wrapped said it all...

As soon as Wallace emerged I had a feeling Sweed was done... Sanders and Brown didn't help his confidence... Burress coming back didn't help... Crotchery was the last nail in the coffin.

Slapstick
08-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he "chose to play injured"...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Mel Blount's G
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
I was still holding out hope for Sweed right till the end. Coming out of college he seemed to have all the tools needed to be successful (well, except one...). I am no psychiatrist but I do believe the SD and the felons game drops utterly destroyed him psychologically. I would like to see him turn it around with another team. Imagine his team initiation when film footage of his drops gets spilced into some random practice film with his potential new team. Good luck Limas...

feltdizz
08-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he "chose to play injured"...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

he faked injury after the Ravens drop so I wouldn't put it past him.