PDA

View Full Version : Hines Staring Down 1,000

Jooser
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ean-a-lot/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/17/hines-ward-1000th-career-catch-would-mean-a-lot/)

Hines Ward: 1,000th career catch would mean a lot

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 17, 2011, 8:35 AM EDT

AP
Steelers receiver Hines Ward has 954 career catches, so midway through the 2011 season he’s likely to become the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000. Ward doesn’t talk a lot about his personal statistics, but he makes no secret of the fact that getting 1,000 would mean a lot to him.

“That would be awesome to get 1,000 catches and do it all for one organization,” Ward said. “It wasn’t like I’m in a prolific passing offense, it’s not like I’m playing in a dome. I think it’s just a milestone of consistency I’ve had my whole career and just being there. That would be huge.”

Ward called the 1,000-catch mark “like 3,000 hits, 600 home runs,” but there are more baseball players who have reached those two marks (28 have 3,000 hits and eight have 600 home runs) than there are NFL players who have reached 1,000 catches. The difference is that in baseball those numbers have been yardsticks of greatness for decades, whereas in the NFL no one ever even approached the mark until Jerry Rice passed it in the 1990s.

Rice’s career total of 1,549 catches won’t be topped any time soon, but Ward has a real chance of passing Marvin Harrison, who’s No. 2 all-time with 1,102 catches. (Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez, who’s currently at 1,069, will likely pass Harrison first.)

Ward thinks he has at least a couple more good seasons left in him, so he should keep climbing the receiving charts.

“I know I’m getting older,” Ward said, “but I’m in great condition, I look crisp out there, I feel good. It’s a matter of staying healthy for 16 games.”

If Ward does stay healthy for 16 games, he’s virtually assured of catching his 1,000th pass.

what a worthless WR! Dammit!

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
selfish and divorced! :lol:

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 10:44 AM
IMO Hine needs 1000 catches for his HoF resume and even then he won't be close to a first time selectee (I predict at least three or four looks).

With the pass happy offenses in the NFL more and more WRs will have great stats and more will be classic WR types on classic passing teams who will overshadow Hines.

costanza2k1
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I was curious as to what the top WRs all time looked like. I don't know how accurate this is...interesting none the less:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... career.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm)
The + sign stands for HOFer

1. Jerry Rice+ 1,549
2. Marvin Harrison 1,102
3. Cris Carter 1,101
4. Tim Brown 1,094
5. Terrell Owens (37) 1,078
6. Tony Gonzalez (34) 1,069
7. Isaac Bruce 1,024
8. Randy Moss (33) 954
Hines Ward (34) 954
10. Andre Reed 951
11. Art Monk+ 940
12. Derrick Mason (36) 924
13. Torry Holt 920
14. Keenan McCardell 883
15. Jimmy Smith 862
16. Muhsin Muhammad 860
17. Irving Fryar 851
18. Rod Smith 849
19. Larry Centers 827
20. Steve Largent+ 819

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Note that there are 3 guys in the top 10 (including 2 in the top 4) that have been eligible for HoF induction on several occassions now, but Cris Carter, Tim Brown, and Andre Reed are still waiting for bronze busts.

costanza2k1
08-17-2011, 12:42 PM
True but Hines has 2 SBs and 1 SB MVP...needs 1 more SB...

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 12:47 PM
True but Hines has 2 SBs and 1 SB MVP...needs 1 more SB...

:Agree

aggiebones
08-17-2011, 12:49 PM
It is gonna be tough to get him in. He will have the number s AND the intangibles. Hopefully he gets in before a herd of others pass his marks. Reed is getting passed regularly and may prevent him from getting in. No SBs and not 1000 catches. He may be left out.
Ward with 2 SBs (inc.MVP) and 1000 catches, plus well known as the bets blocking WR ON TOP OF THE STATS, should get in. But better be in the next 10 years or he could get lost in the shuffle.

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
It is gonna be tough to get him in. He will have the number s AND the intangibles. Hopefully he gets in before a herd of others pass his marks. Reed is getting passed regularly and may prevent him from getting in. No SBs and not 1000 catches. He may be left out.
Ward with 2 SBs (inc.MVP) and 1000 catches, plus well known as the bets blocking WR ON TOP OF THE STATS, should get in. But better be in the next 10 years or he could get lost in the shuffle.

Like I said, Hines will have to get multiple looks before he can even sniff the HoF. He also has the added burden of the "too many Steelers in the HoF" mindset that many of the voters operate under.

It will be an uphill battle for Hines, Bettis and Ben. Troy may be the only potential first ballot selectee but I really doubt that too... see anti Steelers bias above! They will put Ed Reed in before him because of his TDs returning INTs.

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't forget the Mirror Ball Trophy! Every football player that has won Dancing with the Stars has also made it to the Hall of Fame! (granted the only other football player to win Dancing with the Stars was Emmitt Smith, but still...)

I think Jerry Rice, Jason Taylor, and Warren Sapp were all runners-up on that show, and each of them has a Hall of Fame chance as well (of course, Rice is already in). I don't think Ochocinco did quite as well, and he likely won't make the Hall of Fame (in spite of his "Class of 20??" gimmick jacket).

Slapstick
08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
What will get Hines into the HoF is not only 1,000 catches, but his postseason production as well...

17 career games - 88 catches - 1181 yards - 13.4 YpC - 10 TDs

That is an excellent stat line to add to his career regular season numbers...

Factoring in the 2 Rings and the SB XL MVP...it makes the decision a lot easier for the voters...

By way of comparison, Tim Brown's postseason numbers:

12 career games - 45 catches - 581 yards - 12.9 YpC- 3 TDs

Per game averages:

Ward - approx. 5 catches/game - approx. 69.5 YpG - .6 TD/game

Brown - approx. 3.75 rec./game - approx. 48.4 YpG - .25 TD/game

Hines Ward is a guy who elevates his game in the playoffs compared to the regular season while Brown is a guy who did not...all of Wards per game numbers in the post season exceed his per game numbers in the regular season while all of Brown's post season numbers fall below his regular season production...

That is the difference between a Tim Brown and a Hines Ward...and the HoF voters are aware of this...

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Slapstick I think fans tend to ignore those types of things...

the "image" of Hines as a HOF is much easier IMO because he is one of the faces of a franchise who has 3 SB's in 6 years... How many AFCCG's has Hines been to? How many playoff games has he played in..

I think Hines will get the Michael Irvin treatment while having better production, longevity and he doesn't push off.

Slapstick
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Slapstick I think fans tend to ignore those types of things...

the "image" of Hines as a HOF is much easier IMO because he is one of the faces of a franchise who has 3 SB's in 6 years... How many AFCCG's has Hines been to? How many playoff games has he played in..

I think Hines will get the Michael Irvin treatment while having better production, longevity and he doesn't push off.

I agree that fans don't pay attention to the important things like postseason production...

But, I think that HoF voters do...which is why Irvin made it in IMO...his postseason production is on par with or exceeds Wards...

Hines has fewer catches and yards per game (postseason) than Irvin but has scored more TDs...

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
At worst Hines will get in on his second look. Winning 2 super bowls is huge for him. and being the MVP of one cements him. I don't know why so many people on here want to dog him. You and I don't vote anyway, so our opinions are about worthless.

steelblood
08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
If Sanders gets healthy, Ward may only get around 50 catches for the entire season.

Ghost
08-17-2011, 02:58 PM
He needs to average less than 3 catches a game (2.875) to hit the 1000 mark this season. If healthy; it's a lock. As soon a it gets close we'll see Big Ben going out of his way to feed him the ball to hit that milestone this season.

Besides his post season accomplishments; Ward is seen as one of the best blocking WR's to play the game. He even has has a rule named after him for the tenacity he showed. He's constantly discussed as a 'football player' playing WR. I think that comes into play as well when his name comes up for the vote. Can't say it will be first ballot but I will be shocked if we don't see his big smile on a bust in Canton some day.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 03:37 PM
He needs to average less than 3 catches a game (2.875) to hit the 1000 mark this season. If healthy; it's a lock. As soon a it gets close we'll see Big Ben going out of his way to feed him the ball to hit that milestone this season.

Besides his post season accomplishments; Ward is seen as one of the best blocking WR's to play the game. He even has has a rule named after him for the tenacity he showed. He's constantly discussed as a 'football player' playing WR. I think that comes into play as well when his name comes up for the vote. Can't say it will be first ballot but I will be shocked if we don't see his big smile on a bust in Canton some day.

I think the "football player" will get him in... OL, coaches, GM's... they all love Hines style of play the only thing holding him back is the anti Steeler bias and a few punk azzz HOFer LB's who probably think he is dirty.

Dee Dub
08-17-2011, 04:05 PM
“I know I’m getting older,” Ward said, “but I’m in great condition, I look crisp out there, I feel good. It’s a matter of staying healthy for 16 games.”

Yeah...uhhhhh..most every player feels crisp and in great condition prior to the start of an NFL season. My guess is by mid-season Hines will be on his last legs.

Enjoy folks. We are seeing the last of a great one. But all good things here on earth come to an end.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2011, 04:08 PM
selfish and divorced! :lol:

I hear Hines hangs out with drug dealers too...

now that Crash isn't posting here anymore we don't get to find out these kinds of scoops.

Chavezz
08-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Dime a dozen...

I don't know if he gets in. For him I hope he does, but it won't change the way I'll view him. There isn't a WR that fit OUR team better than Hines. He was never the biggest, fastest or the strongest, but I don't think there is anyone that want's it more than Hines. I don't know of a player that got more with less than that guy. He is Pittsburgh.

I don't mind saying it, I'll cry my eyes out the day he hangs it up.

flippy
08-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Hines Ward is the greatest WR to play the game.

He changed the position.

Did you ever see Jerry Rice seal the end and block a guy who's number starts with a 9? No WR has played the game the way Ward does and no one ever will. He's a one of a kind freak of nature.

His numbers are solid, but he was never in a passing offense. Other great WR didn't have the likes of Kordell Stewart throwing to them.

The thing that makes Ward extra special is he decided early on that he would contribute to the team's success on every single play. All WRs take loads of plays off when their number isn't called, or it's a running play, or the play goes to the opposite side of the field. Not Ward. He'll murder a defender that's no where close to a play and rightfully so cause you never know what can happen if a play continues to develop.

And his play is infectious and sets the entire tone for the team.

I remember hearing Lynn Swann once say that Noll always told them that the difference on most big plays is WRs blocking. Pittsburgh has a long tradition of WRs blocking downfield.

Hines took it to a whole new level. He's a better blocker than most TEs. And I really don't think he gets under guys skin because he's dirty. I think he gets under their skin because he's relentless. And no other WR plays the game this way.

At the end of the day, Hines Ward is the Jack Lambert of WRs. Sure there's other guys that have a better skillset to work with like Jack Ham and better measurables and better fit the prototype of the position. But there are very few that have a relentless drive and will to succeed.

Hines is one of those guys. He changed the game forever.

Hines is a legend of the game.

Sure fire first ballot HOFer right now in my book.

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 11:15 PM
At worst Hines will get in on his second look. Winning 2 super bowls is huge for him. and being the MVP of one cements him. I don't know why so many people on here want to dog him. You and I don't vote anyway, so our opinions are about worthless.

I don't think people here are dogging him. I'd venture to guess that the vast, vast majority here would vote him in without a doubt, but we are making educated guesses about what we think the HoF voting committee will do when they get in that room to discuss Hines and vote on his candidacy, based on their voting practices in the past.

Cris Carter makes the top 15 finalist list every year, but hasn't even been able to crack the top 10 (they eliminate candidates 5 at a time as a voting process moves forward) and Carter has 147 more catches for 2197 more yards and 47 more touchdowns than Ward.

Granted, Carter played 3 more seasons than Ward did, so Hines would need to play 3 more years and average 49 catches for 732 yards and 16 TD's each of these 3 seasons to reach what a guy who can't make the top 10 in the HoF vote has accomplished.

I understand that rings, Super Bowl MVP's, his blocking prowess, etc. will certainly help (and I hope those extra are able to put him over the top), but I know voters have become finicky with modern-era wideout of late.

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Ward wants to hit 1,000 in catches

Wednesday, August 17, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/20110817pd08steelers081611_160.jpg

Hines Ward ... 954 career receptions

Walk into some clubs and discover the cream of the crop. The Duquesne Club, the 600 Home Run Club, the Playboy Club and the club with the half-Korean, half-African American knocking on its door to get in.

They usually don't open doors and barriers for Hines Ward, he knocks them down. He has accomplished just about everything there is in football, with one personal goal left, to join a club that is among the most exclusive in sports. Only seven players in the history of the NFL have had 1,000 pass receptions in their careers. Hines Ward is poised to become the eighth.

"That's like 3,000 hits, 600 home runs," said Ward.

Not really because the NFL's 1,000 Catch Club is more exclusive than those two in baseball. There have been 28 baseball players with 3,000 career hits. Jim Thome this week became the eighth player to hit 600 home runs.

Ward has 954 receptions. He needs 46, and he has caught more passes than that in every season except 1998, when he caught 15 as a rookie. He said he wants to win a third Super Bowl in his 14th NFL season, but hitting 1,000 remains a personal goal.

PG VIDEO: STEELERS REPORT

"That would be awesome to get 1,000 catches and do it all for one organization," Ward said. "It wasn't like I'm in a prolific passing offense, it's not like I'm playing in a dome. I think it's just a milestone of consistency I've had my whole career and just being there. That would be huge."

It would add to his considerable resume that includes four Pro Bowls, two Super Bowl rings, one Super Bowl MVP award and virtually every team receiving record, including his 11,702 yards. And, remember, a few Hall of Famers also played the position in Pittsburgh, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Hitting 1,000, "I think that puts him in the Hall of Fame, first ballot," said Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "I think he already is without it, but I think that legitimizes it.

"Hines always needs something, he always has to have either a chip on his shoulder or a goal just to keep him rolling. I love when he's frosty and he has a chip on his shoulder."

Arians also noticed something different about Ward in this training camp.

"He looks spryer than he did last year. I think getting the knee cleaned out [is the reason]. It swelled on him a lot last year. I think that has helped, losing a little weight through the dancing and I'm sure that dancing stuff tightened up his core. He looks good."

Ward rejoined his teammates in practice last week after June 1 thumb surgery to repair a ligament. The knee surgery, to remove some lose cartilage, occurred a week after the Steelers lost the Super Bowl. He is 35 and wants to play at least through the 2012 season and maybe beyond. But he does not want to overextend his stay and points to how Franco Harris finished his career in Seattle for a few weeks in 1984 as an example.

"I don't want to play for any other team. I don't want to be like Franco, in his last year he goes for Seattle. I have two years left on my deal, this year and next year. We'll see how it goes, when I want to retire. I do want to finish my contract out and go from there. I do want to win another Super Bowl."

And wants those 46 receptions. He caught 59 last season, the fewest since his rookie year. There are younger, faster receivers all around him -- Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown. Their talents demand more and more attention from the quarterback. Getting 46 won't be as easy as it was maybe even last season. The season before that, however, he more than doubled that total with 95.

"The opportunities you get, you have to capitalize," Ward said. "I think I've done that my whole career."

He counted up the number of quarterbacks from whom he caught passes and came to eight, including catching his first touchdown from Mike Tomczak against the expansion Cleveland Browns in 1999. The others include Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon. He also caught touchdown passes from Jerome Bettis and Antwaan Randle El, including the one from Randle El that helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XL and Ward that game's MVP.

"Ten different guys, that's crazy," Ward said.

One thousand receptions might be even crazier. He would become the only receiver to do so playing his entire career on the grass outdoors in the northern climate.

"I know I'm getting older," Ward said, "but I'm in great condition, I look crisp out there, I feel good. It's a matter of staying healthy for 16 games and, hopefully, make the playoffs and being that guy the team can hang their hat on. In the Super Bowl, I pride myself on making plays."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11229/11 ... z1VM4oKGIz (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11229/1167790-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1VM4oKGIz)

Slapstick
08-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't think people here are dogging him. I'd venture to guess that the vast, vast majority here would vote him in without a doubt, but we are making educated guesses about what we think the HoF voting committee will do when they get in that room to discuss Hines and vote on his candidacy, based on their voting practices in the past.

Cris Carter makes the top 15 finalist list every year, but hasn't even been able to crack the top 10 (they eliminate candidates 5 at a time as a voting process moves forward) and Carter has 147 more catches for 2197 more yards and 47 more touchdowns than Ward.

Granted, Carter played 3 more seasons than Ward did, so Hines would need to play 3 more years and average 49 catches for 732 yards and 16 TD's each of these 3 seasons to reach what a guy who can't make the top 10 in the HoF vote has accomplished.

I understand that rings, Super Bowl MVP's, his blocking prowess, etc. will certainly help (and I hope those extra are able to put him over the top), but I know voters have become finicky with modern-era wideout of late.

Again, postseason production...

Carter played in 14 games and his per game numbers are not what you would expect...