PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer efforts to land on Steelers' roster

fordfixer
08-17-2011, 12:36 AM
RB Dwyer efforts to land on Steelers' roster
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 51935.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751935.html)

Jonathan Dwyer quickly learned that bigger was better if you were a running back at Georgia Tech.

Playing the B-back (fullback) position in the Yellow Jackets' triple-option attack demands size something Dwyer wasn't blessed with as a five-start recruit out of high school.

"I got beat up pretty bad that first year," said Dwyer, who weighed just over 200 pounds as a freshman. "I had to put on weight to be able to survive in college."

That same weight that helped him to an All-ACC Offensive Player of the Year honor might be the end of him in the pros.

Dwyer, the Steelers' sixth-round pick last year, is trying to catch on as the fourth running back at a position that is in dire need of depth.

But his constant struggles with weight have limited his reps and, along with it, his chances to impress the coaching staff.

Dwyer showed up to camp three weeks ago tipping the scales in excess of 240 pounds.

"It was a long time with the lockout and not knowing when we were going to be back," Dwyer said. "That's an excuse, and there's no room for excuses. It was my fault, and now I am trying to correct it and show them I am responsible enough to play for this team."

Dwyer did not finish Mike Tomlin's opening day "condition evaluation" and quickly found himself participating in the coach's mandated 7 a.m. workouts.

That, along with post-practice sprints, has brought Dwyer's weight under control he has lost almost 20 pounds.

"They told me to do what I have to do, and that's what I did and what I am doing now," Dwyer said. "I am back on the right track, and it is showing, the way I am practicing and the way I am playing."

Now, Tomlin wants to see Dwyer more during the preseason.

After only five carries, 7 yards and 16 reps against Washington last week, Dwyer will get an extensive role Thursday against Philadelphia.

"We're definitely interested in giving him more looks, not only Thursday night, but for the remainder of the preseason," Tomlin said.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has seen a change in Dwyer during the past three weeks.

"He is making a nice move," Arians said. "He is getting in shape, and he has running skills."

Dwyer showed flashes as a rookie during the preseason last year, leading the team in rushing.

"You want take advantage of the opportunity and showcase what you can do," Dwyer said. "You want to show the organization and also show the league what you can do."

Dwyer was activated late last year from the practice squad and played in only the season finale against Cleveland. He rushed for 28 yards on nine carries.

"All I can do is continue to be consistent and do whatever I can to be one of those people who put their hand in the pile and help us win a championship," Dwyer said. "God forbid if anybody goes down, but I'll be ready to go. The standard is the standard."

Read more: RB Dwyer efforts to land on Steelers' roster - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VG2Hwg3m (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751935.html#ixzz1VG2Hwg3m)

sentinel33
08-17-2011, 01:33 AM
This is killin me.

Both sweed and dwyer have an abundance of talent. Both of these guys "getting it" or having it "click" is exactly what the offense could use. Clearly neither is necessary for the offense to do its thing. But gettin those two firin on all cylinders this year could really help open it up.

I know. it's a bit of a pipedream.

but just think of it...deploying miller, wallace, sweed and brown with either mendenhall or dwyer behind ben. no offense to ward.

Ghost
08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
He may be saying the right things now and he's admitted to just making poor excuses but would someone please explain to me how.in.the.f@ck do you allow yourself to come to camp so far out of shape you can't complete the conditioning evaluation and you are a RB (a huge part of your game is conditioning) who was a marginal player, at best, last season? Boggles the mind.

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 08:34 AM
This is killin me.

Both sweed and dwyer have an abundance of talent. Both of these guys "getting it" or having it "click" is exactly what the offense could use. Clearly neither is necessary for the offense to do its thing. But gettin those two firin on all cylinders this year could really help open it up.

I know. it's a bit of a pipedream.

but just think of it...deploying miller, wallace, sweed and brown with either mendenhall or dwyer behind ben. no offense to ward.

I share your frustration but these guys wouldn't be the first with incredible God-given talent not to make it in the NFL.

I do think that possibly the light has come on for Dwyer. Not sure yet about Sweed. He just seems to be emotionally defeated.

Slapstick
08-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I share your frustration but these guys wouldn't be the first with incredible God-given talent not to make it in the NFL.

I do think that possibly the light has come on for Dwyer. Not sure yet about Sweed. He just seems to be emotionally defeated.

On what do you base this insight? The snippets of interviews? Or the musings of the other posters on the board?

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 08:49 AM

On what do you base this insight? The snippets of interviews? Or the musings of the other posters on the board?

All of the above. I want Sweed to succeed as much as anyone and have since we drafted him, but everytime you hear something it is this is hurt, he dropped this, etc.

It could be "glass half empty reporting" but there is clearly an indication of the fact he is not stepping up to the challenge and performing like his competition, e.g. Anthony Brown, Cotchery, etc.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 09:03 AM

The lack of playing time in his first preseason game since 2009...

The phantom injuries that are keeping him off field in a camp where he needs to show everyone he should make the team.

Sweed doesn't appear to "want it" as much as the fans want him to...

Don't you want to see Sweed prove everyone wrong? Why can't this kid get on the field and show his upside instead of forcing his supporters to talk about his "upside"

At least Dwyer is getting on the field... but it would be nice to see Dwyer get it before camp starts.

and to make matters worse Sweed was just released.

sentinel33
08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Dang. That sucks that sweed was cut.

Have to burn my "Swede to the Sweed" poster made for when Ben hooked up with Limas.

And my jersey.

the last Sweed supporter has left the building.

Take care Limas. Good luck.

costanza2k1
08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
This is killin me.

Both sweed and dwyer have an abundance of talent. Both of these guys "getting it" or having it "click" is exactly what the offense could use.

It's mind boggling...both of these guys need to look no further than Antonio Brown and see what 'hungry' looks like and how to take advantage of a situation. Some people just take their moment for granted and don't have that hunger. I believe in the NFL hunger is developed by pressure. Some people can handle it and others can't. "Pressure is trying to feed your family, this is just football" Mike T

Shoe
08-17-2011, 01:33 PM
He may be saying the right things now and he's admitted to just making poor excuses but would someone please explain to me how.in.the.f@ck do you allow yourself to come to camp so far out of shape you can't complete the conditioning evaluation and you are a RB (a huge part of your game is conditioning) who was a marginal player, at best, last season? Boggles the mind.

Yes it does, when you look at it from the realistic position that you and I sit in: we're looking at a marginal player, entering a 2nd year when he did nothing his 1st year and should be chomping at the bit for his 2nd year knowing his job is on the line, with a chance to stick on a perennial Super Bowl contending team...

It really shows Dwyer's perspective. He doesn't think he is a marginal NFL player. He thinks he is a star. Remember, Dwyer was highly touted out of HS, and all throughout college as a future NFL star. He has obviously bought in to the hype.

Becasue as you said, it's dumbfounding to see how a guy like him could come to camp so unprepared.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Yes it does, when you look at it from the realistic position that you and I sit in: we're looking at a marginal player, entering a 2nd year when he did nothing his 1st year and should be chomping at the bit for his 2nd year knowing his job is on the line, with a chance to stick on a perennial Super Bowl contending team...

It really shows Dwyer's perspective. He doesn't think he is a marginal NFL player. He thinks he is a star. Remember, Dwyer was highly touted out of HS, and all throughout college as a future NFL star. He has obviously bought in to the hype.

Becasue as you said, it's dumbfounding to see how a guy like him could come to camp so unprepared.

he fell to the 6th round didn't he? Unless he thinks he got the Brady treatment I think falling that far should have been enough proof that he needed to come to camp hungry.

steelblood
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
regarding the title of this article....

Is this an incomplete thought/fragment or is Kaboly trying to use "efforts" as a verb? Weird.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Is this an incomplete thought/fragment or is Kaboly trying to use "efforts" as a verb? Weird.

Dwyer should have efforted himself more in the off-season so he didn't need to lose 20 lbs once camp started.

steelblood
08-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Dwyer should have efforted himself more in the off-season so he didn't need to lose 20 lbs once camp started.

:lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 06:12 PM
On the Steelers: Dwyer shrinks to occasion

Saturday, August 20, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/freed_steelers081811_9_500.jpg

Running back Jonathan Dwyer led the Steelers with 44 yards on 13 carries Thursday against the Eagles at Heinz Field.

Jonathan Dwyer reported to training camp a little over three weeks ago looking every bit like a nose tackle. Trouble is, Dwyer is a running back, and the way he showed up at Saint Vincent College, it's a wonder coach Mike Tomlin did not send him running down Route 30.

Strength/conditioning coach Garrett Giemont took care of the running part. He ran Dwyer for three weeks, and two things happened that have put Dwyer back in the running to make a contribution to the Steelers. He lost 20 pounds and now looks more like the 239 they have next to his name on the roster, and rookie halfback Baron Batch's season ended with a torn ACL.

Thursday night at Heinz Field, Dwyer led the Steelers with 44 yards on 13 carries and also played some fullback and looked OK doing that. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has been experimenting in the backfield, using Dwyer and Isaac Redman at fullback as a possible answer to the missing No. 2 tight end, where H-back David Johnson could wind up.

"It's something they wanted me to do, see if I could do it," Dwyer said of playing fullback. "I said I would, just showing them what else I could do."

Dwyer insists he had to block at Georgia Tech, where he was the star running back who averaged 6.24 yards a carry, ran for 3,226 yards and scored 35 touchdowns in three seasons.

"We still had to block on the backside and on toss sweeps, stuff like that," Dwyer said.

Said Redman: "Dwyer looked pretty good. He had a couple of carries from the fullback spot. He looked pretty powerful."

Dwyer, drafted ahead of Antonio Brown in the sixth round by the Steelers last year, blamed himself and the lockout for packing on the pounds. Besides his cardio workouts at camp, he spoke with a nutritionist about eating properly.

"I trained for a long time and then, during the lockout, I rested my body, gained weight and just messed up," Dwyer said. "But it's getting better now; I'm losing weight every day, improving every week."

If he knows that Batch's injury likely opened a spot for him on the roster, Dwyer did not say so.

"That was very unfortunate. He's a good player, and it's tough not to see him out there for us. I wish he were out there."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11232/11 ... z1VbNqadL2 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11232/1168664-66-0.stm#ixzz1VbNqadL2)