PDA

View Full Version : All of our DB problems solved?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Steelers sign Macho Harris from VA TECH. Originally drafted by the Eagles in the 5th round last year.

Actually like him out of college but seems to not have impressed with 2 teams. Harris will probably take Batch's spot on roster as he goes to IR.

grotonsteel
08-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I remember people saying Macho Harris was 2nd Rd talent but he was drafted in 5th Rd by Iggles. He played Safety for them.His 40 time was 4.57. So Steelers get another slow CB.

I think Steelers should have signed Carlos Rodgers.

Scouting Report:
Strengths: Good NFL ready size...shows good quickness, both in the passing game and as a blitzer...good awareness on the field...demonstrated great ball skills...more than willing to get physical with receivers...offers special teams value...experienced and productive player...willing in run support and can deliver a big hit...a playmaker...

Weaknesses: Does not possess ideal long speed...too aggressive both as a tackler and in pass coverage...will need to ensure he does not make as much contact at the NFL level or will be heavily penalized...way too aggressive at times...susceptible to double moves...may not be a man cover corner?...little stiff through the hips...

Overall: Much like 2008 draft pick, Brandon Flowers, Victor "Macho" Harris is a physical corner who is willing to support the run. Also like Flowers, he does not possess the long speed to be a true man corner. He may be limited to a Cover 2 or other zone heavy scheme, which, like Flowers, knocks him into the second or third round.

insanesteelersfan
08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
It made perfect sense for the Steelers to sign Macho. I mean c'mon, we already have several DB's down with nagging injuries. AND....Since we CUT
" Sunny HARRIS " the other day,,,we have an extra jersey with the name Harris already on it :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I think Steelers should have signed Carlos Rodgers.

I wonder how much he got from the Niners on his one-year-deal there...

sentinel33
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
what was richard marshall's agent asking for?

I thought he was a free agent.

Oviedo
08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Another slow CB who will be perfect for learning LeBeau's "chase technique" where the CB gives the WR a 10 yard cushion and then reacts to the WRs route and chases him from behind after he makes the short catch. :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Like Rogers with the Niners, Marshall also got a one-year deal to play in the NFC West (in his case, with the Cardinals). I couldn't find terms of that deal either. Is it just me, or is it harder to find contract values now more than ever before?

D Rock
08-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Like Rogers with the Niners, Marshall also got a one-year deal to play in the NFC West (in his case, with the Cardinals). I couldn't find terms of that deal either. Is it just me, or is it harder to find contract values now more than ever before?

True. I still don't even know what Ike got.

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
True. I still don't even know what Ike got.

Ike Taylor contract trails Asomugha, Joseph, Cromartie in average value

Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2011

Entering free agency, four players topped the wish list for cornerbacks: Nnamdi Asomuga, Antonio Cromartie, Johnathan Joseph, and Ike Taylor.

We’ve tracked down Taylor’s contract details, which allows a proper comparison.

Taylor, per a source with knowledge of the contract, signed a four-year, $28 million contract. The deal pays out $9.25 million in 2011, via signing bonus ($7.25 million), base salary ($1.25 million), and roster bonus ($750,000). It works out to a cap charge of $3.8125 million in 2011.

The average per year of $7 million puts Taylor behind Asomugha ($12 million per year), Joseph ($9.75 million per year), and Cromartie ($8 million per year).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-corners/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/ike-taylor-finishes-last-among-top-four-free-agent-corners/)

Chadman
08-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Am I the only one that likes this signing?

Macho looked like a good player coming out of college. Speed seems to be his biggest issue- but in the LeBeau 10-yard scheme, that might be minimised.

It looks to me that the coaching staff were not happy with the CB play last year- now they are putting together a group of talented players & probably will lte them play themselves into a roster spot. Would not surprise me if Harris & Warren make this team.

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 06:16 PM
I liked Harris as a prospect in the 2009 draft, and like Warren as a prospect in the 2010 draft as well. While both were CB prospects coming out of college, the Eagles and Jets, respectively, have been playing them at safety early on in their NFL careers. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these guys (or Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith) took Will Allen's roster spot away from him.

pittpete
08-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Another slow CB who will be perfect for learning LeBeau's "chase technique" where the CB gives the WR a 10 yard cushion and then reacts to the WRs route and chases him from behind after he makes the short catch.

This was ran to perfection against the Redskins the other night :Agree

pfelix73
08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Blah- this guy blows just like all the other Vo-Tech guys they've had over the years and present day.....

Just an avg. player...

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 10:14 PM
here's a pic of the Macho Man:

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/harris2.jpg

fordfixer
08-16-2011, 10:50 PM
All of our DB problems solved?

Maybe we should get rid of all of the Db's and increase the pass rush by adding more Lb's and D line

flippy
08-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Am I the only one that likes this signing?

Macho looked like a good player coming out of college. Speed seems to be his biggest issue- but in the LeBeau 10-yard scheme, that might be minimised.

It looks to me that the coaching staff were not happy with the CB play last year- now they are putting together a group of talented players & probably will lte them play themselves into a roster spot. Would not surprise me if Harris & Warren make this team.

I love the signing. He's built in the model of the Steelers CB.

I wanted him coming out and thought he would be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh.

It's gonna be interesting to see what we do with the CBs.

I'm a fan of Ike, BMac, and Gay and don't think these guys get the credit they deserve. Allen and Harris are built to be the long term replacements for Ike and Bmac and Brown is the perfect successor for Gay.

I'm not a fan of the rest of our DBs. Not sure how the others fit. At the end of the day, it's about learning the zone and tackling in Pittsburgh. I think Curtis Brown's our most talented cover guy, but that doesn't necessarily translate to our system.

I'm more interested to see who ends up backing up Ryan Clark. That's the area I think we can improve the most. And I think FS should be a top priority for us going forward.

I like Ryan and all, but think he's not the perfect fit on our system. I'd like to see more of a coverage guy at FS. If one of the young guys could step up and replace BMac, I think BMac would be an interesting option at FS. He's the best tackler in our seconday and he'd be the guy I would trust most as the last line of defense.

Call me crazy, but I think BMac would be a perfect FS.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Harris set for whatever happens with Steelers

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 20, 2011

Macho Harris has played in 18 games and made nine starts in the NFL since being drafted two years ago.

Not once did he line up at cornerback.

Still, the Steelers signed Harris on Wednesday to give them depth at a position that has been decimated by injuries over the past three weeks.

"It is going to be a transition," Harris said. "Playing corner is my natural position. I feel comfortable playing corner rather than safety. I did what I had to do to help the teams over the past few years. Corner is my position."

Harris started eight games at free safety as a rookie in 2009 with the Eagles even though he was drafted out of Virginia Tech as a cornerback. Last year, Harris played three games with the Redskins,

"They basically just told me to come in and play ball," Harris said.

With training camp injuries to Bryant McFadden, Ike Taylor, and young guys like Crezdon Butler and Cortez Allen nursing injuries, the Steelers are very light at the position.

They had only five healthy corners available Thursday — Niles Brinkley, Curtis Brown, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Donovan Warren — four of which have never started a NFL game before.

"They told me I have a chance to make the team and make the best out of it," Harris said. "I am assuming they are going to throw me in the fire shortly."

» Late in the first quarter against the Eagles, Ben Roethlisberger's quick-snap quarterback sneak resulted in eight yards. It was a play that only Roethlisberger and center Maurkice Pouncey knew about. While the rest of the offensive line were moving backward into pass protection, Pouncey and Roethlisberger plowed through a gaping hole up the middle left vacated by Eagles linebacker Jamar Chaney. Pouncey wouldn't elaborate on the play.

"I can't tell you all our secrets, but it was a good play," Pouncey said.

» Hines Ward said that his teammates have been requesting a Dancing-with-the-Stars-like end zone dance when he scores a touchdown. So, the Mirror Ball trophy winner obliged after he caught a 20-yard touchdown from Roethlisberger in the second quarter Thursday.

"That was just a little test, to test it out," Ward said. "And all the guys liked it. I want to give a shout out to my dance partner, Kym Johnson, and to let her know I'm still thinking about her. It was fun."

» A week after allowing 119 yards to the Redskins in two series, the Steelers defense responded by holding the high-powered first-team Eagles offense to only 71 yards in the first half.

"I think we played pretty well, being that we came out slow last week against the Redskins," linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. "This was our chance to go out and see what the defense is about against a high-powered offense like this."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VcgVMi2c (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752549.html#ixzz1VcgVMi2c)

ikestops85
08-22-2011, 03:25 PM
here's a pic of the Macho Man:

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/harris2.jpg

Hmmm, I thought this is a picture of Macho Man :lol:

http://www.pwpix.net/superstars/r/randysavage/images/macho-man-randy-savage.jpg