PDA

View Full Version : Eagles/Steelers pre-game thread.

insanesteelersfan
08-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I thought I ould start a thread to talk about anything related to the Steelers, or Eagles up til the game on thursday. One thing I did find kinda interesting as....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eagles | Starters to see lots of time in preseason game
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:00:09 -0700

Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said his starters will play the first half of the team's next preseason game versus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: CBSSports.com

Is it normal you think for a team to play it's starters an entire first half in pre-season game # 2 ? Especially this season ? hen the players had so little off season time to prepare at their teams facility ? ell, one thing for sure is that e ill definitely get a better read on the offense this week. Playing against the Eagles starting defense for an entire half. No defensively, I still don't know if it will be fair to judge their performance. Cause in all the years I have been watching under Lebeau, he never truly shows his TRUE defensive schemes in pre-season games. So if Philly moves the ball against us, or we don't show any real disguised Blitz packages, I won't worry.

Steveo
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Judging by the way they played on Saturday, I kind of hope Tomlin keeps are starters out there for a half. It sure looked to me like they needed it. As for the defense I agree with you, they will probably look very generic.

Djfan
08-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Judging by the way they played on Saturday, I kind of hope Tomlin keeps are starters out there for a half. It sure looked to me like they needed it. As for the defense I agree with you, they will probably look very generic.

I agree. I don't mind the vanilla game plan in preseason, but really have an issue with timing and performance issues. They really looked like they were not clicking.

feltdizz
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
don't keep Ben out there for a whole half... Iggles will kill him.

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I wasn't planning on going to this game initially (in general, Thursday night games suck and preseason games suck, so Thursday night preseason games suck to the second power). However, I have a buddy who is an Eagles fan, and he got really excited about all of their signings this offseason, plus he's never been to Pittsburgh before, so I decided to make the trip and bring him along. Plans in the works to go to Canton for a HoF visit on Friday too, since he's never been there either. Anyone else planning on going to this Iggles game?

Steveo
08-16-2011, 02:10 PM
don't keep Ben out there for a whole half... Iggles will kill him.
Unfortunately he's going to have to learn to play behind that line sooner or later.

papillon
08-16-2011, 02:31 PM
I wasn't planning on going to this game initially (in general, Thursday night games suck and preseason games suck, so Thursday night preseason games suck to the second power). However, I have a buddy who is an Eagles fan, and he got really excited about all of their signings this offseason, plus he's never been to Pittsburgh before, so I decided to make the trip and bring him along. Plans in the works to go to Canton for a HoF visit on Friday too, since he's never been there either. Anyone else planning on going to this Iggles game?

Only when we play them this upcoming February. :D :tt2

Pappy

grotonsteel
08-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Macho Harris who was drafted in 5th Rd by Iggles was signed by Steelers. Another camp body since 4 CB are InActive for preseason game?

grotonsteel
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Mike Tomlin rules 7 players out for Thursday vs. Eagles: WR Emmanuel Sanders, CB Cortez Allen, CB Crezdon Butler, CB Bryant McFadden, CB Ike Taylor, G Chris Kemoeatu, ILB Mario Harvey.

I was so looking forward to see Crezdon Butler but is he made of China Clay?

Our starting CB will be William Gay and Keenan Lewis...Yikes..!!!!

We will see Curtis Brown in action which will be interesting to watch.

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Mike Tomlin rules 7 players out for Thursday vs. Eagles: WR Emmanuel Sanders, CB Cortez Allen, CB Crezdon Butler, CB Bryant McFadden, CB Ike Taylor, G Chris Kemoeatu, ILB Mario Harvey.

Four corners down...oof.

All we have healthy are William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Donovan Warren, and Niles Brinkley (Macho won't play since he hasn't practiced yet). I hope the Iggles don't try to go 5-wide on us...

Also looking forward to seeing Jerricho's debut in black and yel...GOLD! It's GOLD, d@mmit!!!

kindlecatsb'ng
08-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Will be there!

Kindle

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Steelers' Kemoeatu, McFadden out against Eagles

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Steelers will be without a handful of starters Thursday night when they play the Philadelphia Eagles in an 8 p.m. preseason game at Heinz Field.

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee) and cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring) were declared out for the game today by coach Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin has also ruled out cornerbacks Ike Taylor (thumb), Crezdon Butler (quad) and Cortez Allen (hamstring), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and inside linebacker Mario Harvey (leg).

Strong safety Troy Polamalu and outside linebacker James Harrison will play against the Eagles after missing last Friday`s preseason opener.

The starters are slated to play 20 to 25 snaps, Tomlin said. The fifth-year coach said he will be flexible with how long he plays his starters with the Steelers coming off an uninspired performance in a 16-7 loss to the Washington Redskins.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VDvU4VXQ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751823.html#ixzz1VDvU4VXQ)

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Four corners down...oof.

All we have healthy are William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Donovan Warren, and Niles Brinkley (Macho won't play since he hasn't practiced yet). I hope the Iggles don't try to go 5-wide on us...

Also looking forward to seeing Jerricho's debut in black and yel...GOLD! It's GOLD, d@mmit!!!

They will go 5 wide and it could get embarrassing. Hopefully our pass rush makes some noise. Is Troy getting any reps this game or is he out all preseason?

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Four corners down...oof.

They will go 5 wide and it could get embarrassing. Hopefully our pass rush makes some noise. Is Troy getting any reps this game or is he out all preseason?

Tomlin said both Troy and Harrison would be playing tomorrow (but he also expected using his starters for only 20-25 plays, while Andy Reid plans to use his starters for the entire first half).

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 03:31 AM
5 to watch against the Eagles

August 17th, 2011

Training camp is in the rearview mirror but there are still more than two weeks -– and three preseason games — before the Steelers set their 53-man roster. That said, here are five players to watch Thursday night when the Steelers play the Eagles at Heinz Field.

– Jonathan Dwyer: Second-year running back put himself in an early hole by showing up to camp overweight. Baron Batch’s knee injury threw Dwyer a lifeline, and the latter finally appears to have his weight under control.

Now it’s time to produce on the field, and Dwyer leads an underwhelming group of players vying for the No. 4 spot at running back.

– Curtis Brown: The rookie cornerback has been impressive when he has practiced, something he didn’t do a whole lot of at St Vincent College because of a hamstring injury.

The third-round pick looks like he has the physical skills to help the Steelers this season, and the team badly needs one of its young cornerbacks to emerge.

– Tony Hills: The fourth-year man is part of the right guard carousel, and his work at the position in the preseason opener earned him a start against the Eagles.

Hills is in the best shape of his career, having added 15 pounds of muscle during the offseason while lowering his body fat.

He is not lacking for confidence either as he makes a push for a starting job.

– Jerricho Cotchery: Cotchery looked every bit the seasoned veteran during his first week of practice with the Steelers. The former Jets wide receiver seemed to pick things up quickly, and it will be interesting to see what role Cotchery carves out for himself.

The Steelers are expecting a significant contribution from Cotchery even though Hines Ward and Mike Wallace are entrenched as the starters and Antonio Brown has been putting a stranglehold on the No. 3 job.

Ward said that Cotchery “will win a game” for the Steelers this season.

– Jason Worilds: Worilds, starting for James Harrison at right outside linebacker last Friday, struggled in the Steelers’ preseason opener.

The coaches badly want the Steelers’ 2010 second-round pick to assume a more prominent role this season. But Worilds is going to have to show more before the Steelers are confident he can spell Harrison and left outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley or play for either in case of an injury.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... he-eagles/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/08/17/5-to-watch-against-the-eagles/)

steeler_george
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Things that I am on keen on seeing:

1) Our rehab vets....Harrison, A. Smith, Colon, Polo, Ward, Pouncey, Spulv... If they are close to being back to form.

2) Rookie watch:

Curtis Brown, to see if he does have the skill and knowledge to hopefully gain the nickle back or maybe #2 CB by seasons end.

Gilbert, let's see how performs with the limited time he had. Is there any chance of him playing Guard as well.

It is kind of funny I am not listing Heyward here.... for some reason I am so confident in his play and learnng curve.

3) Our baby LB...Worilds and Sly

4) RG... does Hill have what it takes? How does Scott rebound, does the demotion add fire?

5) Who is going to fight it out for the 2nd TE and 4ths RB.

insanesteelersfan
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I wanna see how long our OL gives Ben to actually set-up, and find a WR with that Philly pass rush. I wanna see how our OC has implemented a short area, or quick read option for Ben when the Rush is right upon him, rather then having to see Ben try to evade the rushers, and looking to make a play, and further expossing himself to further " Hits " and Injuries. I wanna see quick slants more this season by not only Ward, but Sanders and Brown. I wanna see if Menday can sometimes stay in on 3rd downs, and be an option out of the backfield on pass patterns. I wanna see us early on go right after the Eagles Big-3 of CB's, and see if we can succeed. Of course I don't wanna see ANYONE injured on either side. :tt1 On defense, it's hard to say cause I still don't think we are gonna show our defensive hand in pre-season.

But all in all I wanna see some offensive consistency in the first half playing against the Eagles defensive starters. :Cheers

Djfan
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
I wanna see how long our OL gives Ben to actually set-up, and find a WR with that Philly pass rush. I wanna see how our OC has implemented a short area, or quick read option for Ben when the Rush is right upon him, rather then having to see Ben try to evade the rushers, and looking to make a play, and further expossing himself to further " Hits " and Injuries. I wanna see quick slants more this season by not only Ward, but Sanders and Brown. I wanna see if Menday can sometimes stay in on 3rd downs, and be an option out of the backfield on pass patterns.

You should have asked for Bigfoot and Chupacabra, too.

insanesteelersfan
08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I wanna see how long our OL gives Ben to actually set-up, and find a WR with that Philly pass rush. I wanna see how our OC has implemented a short area, or quick read option for Ben when the Rush is right upon him, rather then having to see Ben try to evade the rushers, and looking to make a play, and further expossing himself to further " Hits " and Injuries. I wanna see quick slants more this season by not only Ward, but Sanders and Brown. I wanna see if Menday can sometimes stay in on 3rd downs, and be an option out of the backfield on pass patterns.

You should have asked for Bigfoot and Chupacabra, too.[/quote]

No need. I already DATE Bigfoot :lol: And I don't even know what a Chupacabra is :wft

chiken
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
IS that the guy we wanted at corner :)