PDA

View Full Version : this is what SHOULD happen on kickoffs

JTP53609
08-16-2011, 08:42 AM
these kickers are good, just like golfers, they have a skill that looks easy but really is not, and what I think they should do and hopefully Suisham can do this, is get some air under the football and learn to kick it high and inside the 5 every time, obviously this gives the coverage team enough time to run down the field shed off blockers and start the opposing offense inside the 10 every time.

For the past 5 years it seems that we always kicked the ball to the 10, now with the kickoff moved up 10 yards hopefully we can now kick it to the goal line and take advantage of it.

I think this is what coaches and teams are going to start doing,

steelblood
08-16-2011, 09:45 AM
The kickoff has only been moved up 5 yards.

This is a huge disadvantage for the STeelers. Most teams have a player that can consistently kick it deep into the end zone now. Suisham did well in the first preseason game, but he does not have a big leg, and we will have to cover many kicks.

JTP53609
08-16-2011, 09:55 AM

This is a huge disadvantage for the STeelers. Most teams have a player that can consistently kick it deep into the end zone now. Suisham did well in the first preseason game, but he does not have a big leg, and we will have to cover many kicks.

My mistake, I dont know why I thought it was 10 yards, still in May mode I guess.
I was just thinking if he kicks it to the goal line than at least our coverage team gets down the field 5 yards faster. I think alot of teams are going to do this and it will make field position all the more valuable....

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 01:30 PM

My mistake, I dont know why I thought it was 10 yards, still in May mode I guess.
I was just thinking if he kicks it to the goal line than at least our coverage team gets down the field 5 yards faster. I think alot of teams are going to do this and it will make field position all the more valuable....

The kick coverage guys used to be able to get a full running start as the ball was kicked, but now they can only line up 5 yards behind the ball, so they aren't able to get up to full speed as fast.

JTP53609
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM

The kick coverage guys used to be able to get a full running start as the ball was kicked, but now they can only line up 5 yards behind the ball, so they aren't able to get up to full speed as fast.

geesh are you serious..I had no idea of this...I was working Thursday Night and have not watched much football....take away my idea then.

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Welcome to Goodell's NFL! Leave your testicles at the door.

D Rock
08-16-2011, 01:55 PM
In the KC game last week someone tried to bring one out from about halfway into the endzone. He was immediately swarmed at the 6 yard line.

I think coverage guys are definitely getting there sooner even with the different 'run up' rules

AzStillers1989
08-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Welcome to Goodell's NFL! Leave your testicles at the door.

ha... so true ....

I'm a huge sports fan and when I see this Pussification going on I express how I feel. May sound like bickering and complaining to some but to others they agree and have there own well thought out opinions.

I really hope this year isn't just a bunch of BS .....

:Steel

Ghost
08-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Just start the game with the ball on the 20. It's one thing to make some changes for player safety but this fundamentally changes the game.

And forget about anything exciting happening when a game is on the line - No Music City Miracle, No Hester taking the opening kickoff of the Super Bowl for a TD. Last year, there were 23 kick return touchdowns and 100 returns of 40-plus yards. I know they talk about it being the No Fun League but this is the No Football League.

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 04:26 PM
The lockout ended for all players except for players who make their living on kick coverage and kick return special teams. Those players will continue to be locked out indefinitely.

Discipline of Steel
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM
If you think about it, the prospects for a late game comeback are now worse. Even if you ignore potential TD runbacks, the offense will be starting in a hole more often with less opportunity to complete a scoring drive. Less exciting finishes although if scoring is lower overall, more teams should be able to stay in more games longer.

snarky
08-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I never liked the rule change putting it back to the 30 to begin with. It was fine at the 35. I hate that the NFL is continually tampering with rules like this.

NJ-STEELER
08-17-2011, 01:31 AM
I think this will help the steelers. Aside from the year we had Logan back there, our return game was/is very average. Often starting from the 30 or less. So touchbacks at the 20 isn't going to change To much what the offense has had to do... Drive the length of the field.

Conversely, reed did not get good depth with his kickoffs and oppenants usually started out with good field position. Leaving our defense field to defend. The 5 yards will help SS get the ball in the end zone. Plus the coverage units seem to fluctuate from year to year. They may have even cows us a playoff spot in 09. The less we have to depend on them, the better

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Just blast the ball out of the endzone and give them the ball on the 20 and dare opponents to go 80 yards against our defense. IMO this is to our advanatage especially if we actually let our CBs cover WRs tight at the line of scrimmage.

SteelAbility
08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
This rule is a conspiracy to help the San Diego Chargers.

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Big returns at risk for Steelers with change

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 18, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-17/0818SteelBrownCAP-a.jpg

Antonio Brown has been the star of the preseason, and the second-year wide receiver should get plenty of opportunities Thursday when the Steelers host the Philadelphia Eagles.

The one area in which Brown may not flash much in the Steelers' first game at Heinz Field since January is kickoff returns.

The Steelers did not have one return last Friday in their preseason opener and their first game since kickoffs were moved from the 30- to 35-yard line.

The rule change has altered the dynamic of kick returns the percentage of touchbacks will increase significantly and the compromise the NFL has tried to forge between one of the most exciting plays in football and player safety is causing teams to adjust.

Brown, for example, has been green-lighted to return all kickoffs provided he catches them 5 yards or less into the end zone and is moving forward when he fields them.

"I'd rather have the usual way," said Brown, who returned a kickoff for a touchdown in the Steelers' second game of the 2010 season. "It guaranteed me a return every time, but I think it's safer for the players that are being blocked. There will be less injuries and less concussions because that's a long sprint and guys hitting each other."

The rule change, approved by owners, 26-6, in March following a recommendation by the NFL's competition committee, limits players on the kickoff coverage team to a 5-yard running start. Plus, it allows only a two-man wedge on returns.

It has generated the inevitable grousing from pre-eminent return men and teams that lost an advantage when the NFL moved kickoffs to where they had been prior to 1994.

New England coach Bill Belichick said earlier this week that the NFL is trying to eliminate kickoffs from the game a claim that the league quickly denied.

The NFL appears to be aiming for a cutback on kickoffs, from the 80s percent range to somewhere in the 60s, as part of its player safety initiative.

In the first week of preseason play, according to the NFL, 68.1 percent of kickoffs were returned. In 2010, 81.5 percent of kickoffs were returned in the first slate of preseason games.

"I'm going to support the NFL and its effort to minimize the play," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Obviously it's a dangerous play."

The rule change has teams pondering different strategies, and it could affect the makeup of 53-man rosters.

The Steelers may be less inclined to keep a player based on his kick coverage skills, especially if they are content to let Shaun Suisham boom kickoffs deep into the end zone.

"To me, if you can put your defense on the field at the 20-yard line, put them on the 20," special teams coordinator Al Everest said. "You wouldn't start getting fancy, pop it up to the 10 and a guy returns and hits a seam goes back for a touchdown when you could have had it deep at the 20. I don't see the trade off."

Everest said the Steelers will take a wait-and-see approach with the new rule. Brown has to hope last Friday's game isn't a preview.

The Steelers started on the 20-yard line after all four times the Washington Redskins kicked off.

"I don't hate it, but it's kind of taking a fun part out of the game," Brown said of the new rules. "But it's also an opportunity to make (returns) even longer, just being able to get past that first wave of guys when they come down."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VOjXm5Y5 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752117.html#ixzz1VOjXm5Y5)