PDA

View Full Version : Arians contemplated his retirement

fordfixer
08-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Steelers' Arians contemplated his retirement
By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 51748.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751748.html)

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians considered retiring after the Super Bowl but decided against it after talking to several people close to him. One was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The two spent time together in Georgia shortly after the Super Bowl.

"Ben and I were sitting on the porch, and he just kept bringing up young names, saying, 'You don't really want to leave these guys yet, do you?' " Arians said Monday. "It had been four weeks (since the Super Bowl) at that point. My wife was like, 'You're going back to work.' I said, 'All right, we'll do it.' I'm really looking forward to it."

Arians, 58, is a prostate cancer survivor. Though he has a clean bill of health, he said his "health history the past few years" and that he became eligible for retirement made him consider stepping down.

That thought is far from his mind at the moment, though.

"This young group," Arians said, "might make we want to do this for a while."

Read more: Steelers' Arians contemplated his retirement - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VAYIM2tN (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751748.html#ixzz1VAYIM2tN)

fordfixer
08-16-2011, 02:07 AM
Steelers' offense aiming for rarefied heights
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Steelers' offense aiming for rarefied heights
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Photos
click to enlarge

Ben Roethlisberger
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
In-depth Steelers

· Standings

· Schedule

· Statistics

· Roster
Free iPhone app

The Tribune-Review is offering its free News and Sports app for the Apple iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. To get the latest Steelers, Penguins, Pirates and local news, features and blogs, click here.
About the writer

Mark Kaboly can be reached at 412-664-9161, via via e-mail or on Twitter.
Ways to get us

Be a Facebook fan
Follow us on Twitter
E-mail Newsletters
On your mobile

Subscribe to our publications

Ben Roethlisberger said it with quiet confidence coupled with a matter-of-fact tone.

"As good as we want to be, I guess," Roethlisberger said.

Not since his rookie year of 2004 has Roethlisberger been surrounded by so many skill players. The Steelers' offense just might be, well, as good they want it to be.

"It's going to be fun," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "As long as we can stay healthy up front, I think we can be pretty salty offensively."

Over the past four years under Arians, the Steelers have been good in the pass, but not the run (2009); or good in the run, but not the pass (2007).

They have yet to put together a complete offensive season. That all could change this year.

Look at the weapons that Arians has at his disposal:

Hines Ward — The team's all-time leading receiver.

Mike Wallace — One of the more dynamic receivers in the league.

Jerricho Cotchery — Veteran who led the Jets in receiving two years ago.

Emmanuel Sanders — Second-year player who showed flashes of talent last year.

Antonio Brown — An up-and-comer who has been the camp darling.

Heath Miller — One of the best pass-catching tight ends in the NFL.

Rashard Mendenhall — A running back in his prime and coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons.

And, of course, Roethlisberger, who has progressed into one of the most prolific passers in the league. He has thrown 43 touchdowns in his past 27 games.

"There is a lot of talent everywhere," Roethlisberger said. "Honestly, I think we can run the ball and I think we can throw the ball but it is going to be up to us. Can we identify? Can we protect? Can we open up holes? Can we catch?"

If they can do that, the Steelers can set a new offensive standard. The best offensive season in franchise history was 1979, when they set team marks for points scored (416) and total yards (6,258) on their way to a fourth Super Bowl title.

Arians' top numbers since he has been the Steelers' coordinator came in 2009, when the Steelers finished seventh in the league in total offense.

"We know can be really good," Wallace said. "Great, actually. We have a lot of talented players. The sky is the limit, really."

Cotchery, who signed with the Steelers last week, quickly found out about the caliber of offensive talent.

"We were good last year in New York," Cotchery said. "But there is a lot of talent on this offense. A lot."

With the array of talent, Arians will be able to employ more complex schemes.

Arians is a firm believer of having multiple personnel groupings, and with the level of players he has at his disposal, it makes the Steelers offense more diverse. That doesn't necessarily mean pass the ball the majority of the time, either.

"When you put dynamic players out there you can still be physical, but be explosive," Arians said. "We are going to need to be explosive, and that is what we plan to do."

Explosiveness comes with speed, and the Steelers have plenty of that with Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Mendenhall.

"This is a quality group of guys, and the key ingredient is speed," Arians said. "That is what always excites me. Everybody wants big guys; I want those fast guys."

Arians does have one problem, though.

"We are not going to keep all the receivers happy," Arians said. "If you throw it too much, you are not going to keep your running back happy. The biggest thing you have to fight now is selfishness. You want guys to want the ball, but not to a point where it affects their play."

Roethlisberger feels that with the right parts in place on offense, it can help the defense win games — unlike in years past.

"We have relied for such a long time on this defense to kind of carry us," Roethlisberger said. "As an offense, we want to step up every week and we want to be a valuable asset to this team — to be a team that scores a lot of points and makes it easy on our defense."

Read more: Steelers' offense aiming for rarefied heights - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VAYiXVBl (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751757.html#ixzz1VAYiXVBl)

Ben Roethlisberger said it with quiet confidence coupled with a matter-of-fact tone.

"As good as we want to be, I guess," Roethlisberger said.

Not since his rookie year of 2004 has Roethlisberger been surrounded by so many skill players. The Steelers' offense just might be, well, as good they want it to be.

"It's going to be fun," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "As long as we can stay healthy up front, I think we can be pretty salty offensively."

Over the past four years under Arians, the Steelers have been good in the pass, but not the run (2009); or good in the run, but not the pass (2007).

They have yet to put together a complete offensive season. That all could change this year.

Look at the weapons that Arians has at his disposal:

Hines Ward — The team's all-time leading receiver.

Mike Wallace — One of the more dynamic receivers in the league.

Jerricho Cotchery — Veteran who led the Jets in receiving two years ago.

Emmanuel Sanders — Second-year player who showed flashes of talent last year.

Antonio Brown — An up-and-comer who has been the camp darling.

Heath Miller — One of the best pass-catching tight ends in the NFL.

Rashard Mendenhall — A running back in his prime and coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons.

And, of course, Roethlisberger, who has progressed into one of the most prolific passers in the league. He has thrown 43 touchdowns in his past 27 games.

"There is a lot of talent everywhere," Roethlisberger said. "Honestly, I think we can run the ball and I think we can throw the ball but it is going to be up to us. Can we identify? Can we protect? Can we open up holes? Can we catch?"

If they can do that, the Steelers can set a new offensive standard. The best offensive season in franchise history was 1979, when they set team marks for points scored (416) and total yards (6,258) on their way to a fourth Super Bowl title.

Arians' top numbers since he has been the Steelers' coordinator came in 2009, when the Steelers finished seventh in the league in total offense.

"We know can be really good," Wallace said. "Great, actually. We have a lot of talented players. The sky is the limit, really."

Cotchery, who signed with the Steelers last week, quickly found out about the caliber of offensive talent.

"We were good last year in New York," Cotchery said. "But there is a lot of talent on this offense. A lot."

With the array of talent, Arians will be able to employ more complex schemes.

Arians is a firm believer of having multiple personnel groupings, and with the level of players he has at his disposal, it makes the Steelers offense more diverse. That doesn't necessarily mean pass the ball the majority of the time, either.

"When you put dynamic players out there you can still be physical, but be explosive," Arians said. "We are going to need to be explosive, and that is what we plan to do."

Explosiveness comes with speed, and the Steelers have plenty of that with Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Mendenhall.

"This is a quality group of guys, and the key ingredient is speed," Arians said. "That is what always excites me. Everybody wants big guys; I want those fast guys."

Arians does have one problem, though.

"We are not going to keep all the receivers happy," Arians said. "If you throw it too much, you are not going to keep your running back happy. The biggest thing you have to fight now is selfishness. You want guys to want the ball, but not to a point where it affects their play."

Roethlisberger feels that with the right parts in place on offense, it can help the defense win games — unlike in years past.

"We have relied for such a long time on this defense to kind of carry us," Roethlisberger said. "As an offense, we want to step up every week and we want to be a valuable asset to this team — to be a team that scores a lot of points and makes it easy on our defense."

Read more: Steelers' offense aiming for rarefied heights - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VAYiXVBl (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751757.html#ixzz1VAYiXVBl)

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 03:16 AM
Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians considered retiring after the Super Bowl but decided against it after talking to several people close to him. One was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

man, sometimes Ben really pisses me off... :D

Oviedo
08-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians considered retiring after the Super Bowl but decided against it after talking to several people close to him. One was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Yeah, he should have paid more attention to the opinions of "knowledgable" fans versus going with what he actually knows first hand.
:roll:

fezziwig
08-16-2011, 08:51 AM
I heard the Arians interview and now he threatens to never retire.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-16-2011, 09:12 AM
:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

rpmpit
08-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Ben should never go to Georgia again. Unless of course we're playing the Falcons or they're hosting a Super Bowl. But in all other cases....STAY OUT OF GEORGIA!!!! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Yeah, but what about the hogs up front? The weapons are great, but we need to be able to protect the big fella too.

In a swordfight, it doesn't really matter all that much if you are wielding Excaliber itself when you are trying to protect yourself with a shield made out of soggy cardboard.

papillon
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ben holds on to everything too long, he'll never make the HOF at this rate. :D

Pappy

fordfixer
08-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Ben should never go to Georgia again. Unless of course we're playing the Falcons or they're hosting a Super Bowl. But in all other cases....STAY OUT OF GEORGIA!!!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :Clap :Clap :Clap

costanza2k1
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM
If this guy retired, you can only assume they would've hired from within to keep things consistent with the O. Kirby Wilson?

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ben holds on to everything too long, he'll never make the HOF at this rate. :D

Pappy

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 01:36 PM
If this guy retired, you can only assume they would've hired from within to keep things consistent with the O. Kirby Wilson?

Randy Fichtner (WR coach turned QB coach when Kenny Anderson retired)

Slapstick
08-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Randy Fichtner (WR coach turned QB coach when Kenny Anderson retired)

Yep!

Why else move him from WR coach to QB coach?

steelnavy
08-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Yeah, he should have paid more attention to the opinions of "knowledgable" fans versus going with what he actually knows first hand.
:roll:

Just because Ben wants to keep Arians, it doesn’t mean that he is the all knowing being. If the Defense was ranked in the middle of the league year in and year out and Troy Palomalu came out and begged for Lebeau to stay every year, would you say that because Troy is such a great athlete, then he must surely know best? Having a god given superior talent does not necessarily make you the smartest guy in the room. James Harrison is an outstanding athlete. Does his ability make him the last bastion of knowledge on the Steelers defense? Does he coach the plays or does he do what the outstanding defensive coordinator tells him to do?

Nobody knows Ben’s motives for wanting to keep BA around. Could it be because they are really good friends? Could it be that Ben gets to do what he wants versus a coordinator that will tell Ben what to do? From what I have seen over the last few years, the main reason our offense does anything is because Ben saves badly called plays through sandlot football. Without him extending plays, breaking tackles and performing numerous miracles, OUR O WOULD SUCK. Everybody on here sees how predictable BA is, even his defenders.

Why is it that the offense has such a hard time running it in at the goal line when our O-line is supposedly better at run blocking than pass blocking? Why do we have sooo many offside and false start penalties on the line year in an out? Is it really just the players “not executing” or is it the coach not putting them in the right formation, lack of creativity and lack of mental preparation? When people consistently fail, it’s most likely the leader’s fault.

What about screens? Why do we suck at screens every year? Did the Steelers just happen to draft players that can’t figure out screens? Again, coaching.

Ben is a great athlete and I am not saying that he is stupid, but his defense of BA means about as much to me as his defense of the O-line after a particularly sucky game. When BA can get the team to consistently move the ball without Ben having to bail the offense out, I will believe what he is selling…

pittpete
08-17-2011, 08:42 PM
What about screens? Why do we suck at screens every year? Did the Steelers just happen to draft players that can’t figure out screens? Again, coaching.

What is a screen, I havnt seen that one in awhile..

fordfixer
08-18-2011, 12:08 AM

You put them on windows to keep the bugs out :roll: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 12:49 AM

my television and computer have them too... :D

RuthlessBurgher
08-18-2011, 01:04 AM

If I want to keep bugs out of my computer, I use anti-virus software. :wink:

fezziwig
08-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Arians wife doesn't even want him around. The guy has no imagination and we win despite him.

fordfixer
08-19-2011, 12:55 AM

How do you keep bugs out of your television? :?

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 01:48 AM

How do you keep bugs out of your television? :?

I think you might have to change the channel...

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/kilroyishear/KilroyBugsBunnyTV.jpg