PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear about John Clay today ?

insanesteelersfan
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
..Apparently, Clay started to walk off the field during practice, and had to be coaxed into coming back. This via Ed Bouchette's twitter.....

EdBouchetteEd Bouchette

#steelers rookie rb john clay walks off practice field and heads toward locker room. Staffer runs after him and talks him out of leaving.

3 hours ago

EdBouchetteEd Bouchette

Clay returns in time for drills to end. Never seen that before. Color him gone

3 hours ago

Say what you will about Dwyer. But at least he's never walked off the field :Clap

sentinel33
08-15-2011, 10:01 PM
6'1-250.

Incredible what the NFL can do to a young man.

No place for suzies.

Hopefully he's made of sterner stuff and can push through this.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-15-2011, 10:09 PM
i highly doubt he will push through with the steelers.

probably not a lot of respect for a quitter.

flippy
08-15-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd walk off the field if I had to go up against James Harrison and the like.

focosteeler
08-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Kaboly tweeted about this too, ill be interested to see what the real story is on it

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Dwyer a big winner

MONDAY, AUGUST 15, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Unless the Steelers make a move to sign a running back who gets cut loose in the next couple of weeks, Jonathan Dwyer has likely made this team.

The season-ending knee injury to Baron Batch last week made that a strong possibility, but rookie John Clay walking out of practice Monday all but assured it.

Clay was eventually talked into coming back onto the practice field, but you can bet the coaching staff isn't happy with him.

Of course, Clay probably sees the writing on the wall. He hasn't been too impressive in camp and was equally blah in the team's first preseson game at Washington.

So that leaves Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore and … Dwyer.

The Steelers will be watching the waiver wire closely if someone interesting gets cut loose. And no, that somebody will not be Tiki Barber.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Oviedo
08-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Dwyer may end up being like Hampton. Underperforms in conditioning but plays above that when he gets the chance.

I'd rather see him on the field than Moore!!!!

Ghost
08-16-2011, 08:20 AM
I watched Dwyer play at GA Tech. He has the tools to play in the NFL. I loved the Steelers getting him in the late rounds. The local sports talk guys were talking last year about how stunned they were that he was fighting for a spot and had a good chance of being cut. His attitude is the only thing holding him back. Not sure if he thought he could just show up and make it.

Steveo
08-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Dwyer may end up being like Hampton. Underperforms in conditioning but plays above that when he gets the chance.

Not sure I agree with you on this, all I've seen from Dwyer is someone who dances around in the back field and gets tackled for a loss, at least Moore can move the ball forward for a couple of yards. Personally I'm happy with our running backs being Mendenhall, Moore, and Redman.

phillyesq
08-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Not sure I agree with you on this, all I've seen from Dwyer is someone who dances around in the back field and gets tackled for a loss, at least Moore can move the ball forward for a couple of yards. Personally I'm happy with our running backs being Mendenhall, Moore, and Redman.

Nice first post - and welcome!

I agree on Moore. He isn't flashy, and he certainly isn't my favorite backfield option, but he is quietly effective. Dwyer, on the other hand, has shown nothing.

feltdizz
08-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I thought he was our GL savior? :wft

aggiebones
08-16-2011, 11:38 AM
OMG, here we go again.
Dwyer to the rescue. lol

Because a rookie got hurt and an undrafted FA walks off the field, he rises to the challenge of just standing still.

I'd rather see what Clay has now AFTER the adversity. Granted, neither are much to get excited about.

Redman came and struggled a bit in yr 1 and rose through it to become a player.
Dwyer came and struggled a bit for weight and inability to pick up blitzes in yr 1 and after a year...still has same problems.
Clay has struggled a bit and got frustrated in 2 weeks....let's see how he grows as a PS player. Which route will he go? Who knows. Maybe he gets cut in next years camp. Maybe he rises up.

Either way, we are not overly likely to keep more than 3 active backs are we?

Last year we had Mendy, Redman and Moore with Dwyer on PS.
This year we will have Mendy, Redman and Moore with X on PS. What's different?

So Dwyer or Clay on PS. We'll see how irritated the Steelers coaches are about Dwyers lack of effort in an entire year versus Clay's bad day.

Also, to compare a NT to a RB in laziness is ridiculous. Hampton is 350lbs.

focosteeler
08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
@MarkKaboly_Trib
Mark Kaboly John Clay said it was all a misunderstanding. Kirby Wilson told him to leave after making a mistake. Clay thought he meant go to locker room

also

@MarkKaboly_Trib
Mark Kaboly Dwyer said he lost 15-20 pounds since arriving at camp. :shock:

insanesteelersfan
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Also, to compare a NT to a RB in laziness is ridiculous. Hampton is 350lbs.[/quote]

Weight has nothing to do with ANY player being LAZY, or not putting forth effort! Sure a tested Vet can receive some benefits of the doubt when it comes to practicing, they always have. But putting forth a 100 % effort when you are out there, well whether you are 200lbs, or 400lbs, it makes ZERO difference. :2c

Djfan
08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib
Mark Kaboly John Clay said it was all a misunderstanding. Kirby Wilson told him to leave after making a mistake. Clay thought he meant go to locker room

I bet he feels pretty stupid right about now. I kind of feel bad for the guy.

feltdizz
08-16-2011, 12:45 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib

I bet he feels pretty stupid right about now. I kind of feel bad for the guy.

gotta love twitter...

phillyesq
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I'll choose to fully believe that it was a mistake and a misunderstanding, and it's actually a kind of comical situation. Even with it just being a misunderstanding, I still think that Clay is a practice squad candidate, at best.

RuthlessBurgher
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Last year we had Mendy, Redman and Moore with Dwyer on PS.
This year we will have Mendy, Redman and Moore with X on PS. What's different?

Actually, Dwyer wasn't on the practice squad last year. He was on the 53 man roster. He only dressed for 1 game, though (the regular season finale at Cleveland).

feltdizz
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I'll choose to fully believe that it was a mistake and a misunderstanding, and it's actually a kind of comical situation. Even with it just being a misunderstanding, I still think that Clay is a practice squad candidate, at best.

I wonder if Clay was about to buy a one way ticket home when he was told to leave....

I hope they never tell Clay to "hit" the showers.

Steveo
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
[quote="Oviedo"]
Nice first post - and welcome!

[\quote]

Thanks

insanesteelersfan
08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey, I just read that Denver has released " Lendale White " Maybe the steelers can sign him, and then we will have the trifecta of 3, Fat, Lazy out of shape RB's in training camp :Boobs

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey, I just read that Denver has released " Lendale White " Maybe the steelers can sign him, and then we will have the trifecta of 3, Fat, Lazy out of shape RB's in training camp

I heard LenWhale reported to camp overweight...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/imager/lendale-white-maybe-possibly-whipped-some-dude-with-a-belt/b/original/1475594/1349/LenWhaleTraining.jpg

insanesteelersfan
08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey, I just read that Denver has released " Lendale White " Maybe the steelers can sign him, and then we will have the trifecta of 3, Fat, Lazy out of shape RB's in training camp

I heard LenWhale reported to camp overweight...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/imager/lendale-white-maybe-possibly-whipped-some-dude-with-a-belt/b/original/1475594/1349/LenWhaleTraining.jpg

Absolutely F'ing fantastic Hawaiian. You are one SERIOUSLY funny, and talented SOB! :Agree I WISH I could do with my computer what you can do. However, I cannot. I am just a huge :loser

Good post sir.

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Absolutely F'ing fantastic Hawaiian. You are one SERIOUSLY funny, and talented SOB!

would you please tell my wife that, she often fails to find the humor in my always funny jokes... :D

insanesteelersfan
08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Absolutely F'ing fantastic Hawaiian. You are one SERIOUSLY funny, and talented SOB!

would you please tell my wife that, she often fails to find the humor in my always funny jokes... :D

I'm sure she appreciates you sir. But you know most wives will never ever let their husbands know that :lol: They have to always THINK they are in control.

Captain Lemming
08-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Hey, I just read that Denver has released " Lendale White " Maybe the steelers can sign him.

Can we just pay him to stomp on the towel on national TV again?

fordfixer
08-16-2011, 11:11 PM

Welcome to the Planet :tt1

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
John Clay explains walking out of practice

August 16th, 2011
by Mark Kaboly

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37228250E.jpg

One of the weirder scenes at Steelers training camp this year turned out to have quite a realtive simple explanation.

A day after undrafted rookie running back John Clay left the practice field early and was heading to the locker room before finally being talked back by a trainer, the former Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year had a perfectly logial explanation for his weird behavior.

“It was all a misunderstanding,” Clay said.

During the final team session of practice Monday, Clay was told to leave by running backs coach Kirby Wilson after making a mistake.

Clay interepreted “leave” to mean go to the locker room, not as Wilson intended it to mean, which was go to the sidelines.

“He said leave so I was thinking leave as in go to the locker room,” Clay said. “Somebody came and got me and told me that he meant to stay on the sidelines. I didn’t hear him say that.”

Clay returned to the field Monday just in time for practice to end and participated in post-practice sprints with the running backs.

So what was the mistake Clay made that had Wilson so fired up?

“I made a mistake and I turned around and looked at him instead of running all the way down with the play,” Clay said. “He told me if I do make a mistake that just do it at 100 percent and he will correct me after.”

Clay is expected to get more work Thursday during the second preseason game against the Eagles. Last week, Clay played in four snaps against the Redskins.

Clay is trying to catch on as the Steelers’ fourth running back after having a stellar career at Wisconsin.

Clay (6-1, 248) rushed for more than 2,500 yards and 32 touchdowns during his sophomore and junior seasons at Wisconsin.

Clay left the Badgers after his junior year.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... -practice/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/08/16/john-clay-explains-walking-out-of-practice/)

insanesteelersfan
08-17-2011, 12:20 AM
So, you're telling me that a player, who has been a football RB for years through High School and college, doesn't know that when a Ast.Coach tells him after a missed play or a mistake, that when he says, " Get off the field "...that player THINKS he means leave practice ?

Yeah right. Lets see a show of hands that buy that one :lol:

Slapstick
08-17-2011, 07:54 AM
It depends on what Wilson said...

If Wilson said, "Get off the field," then I would take that to mean go to the sidelines...

If Wilson said, "Leave the field," or "Get the hell out of here," or "You're done," then I might go to the locker room...

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Hey, I just read that Denver has released " Lendale White " Maybe the steelers can sign him, and then we will have the trifecta of 3, Fat, Lazy out of shape RB's in training camp :Boobs

As desperate as Denver is for talent if they don't wan't White either do we as much as we still have some who cling to the notion of archaic Western Pa HS football running games.

The reality is that this is a pass first league and the championship teams will have high powered passing offenses that explot the rules advanatage the league has put into place. Time to leave the longing for power running games back in the nostalgic 70s and step into the 21st Century NFL.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
So, you're telling me that a player, who has been a football RB for years through High School and college, doesn't know that when a Ast.Coach tells him after a missed play or a mistake, that when he says, " Get off the field "...that player THINKS he means leave practice ?

Yeah right. Lets see a show of hands that buy that one :lol:

I was thinking the same thing but since it was so close to the end of practice who knows...

I'm starting to get the impression that Ed Bouchette is full of boush#t... his stories smel of desperation half the time.

Djfan
08-17-2011, 10:22 AM
The reality is that this is a pass first league and the championship teams will have high powered passing offenses that explot the rules advanatage the league has put into place. Time to leave the longing for power running games back in the nostalgic 70s and step into the 21st Century NFL.

Too true. Sad, really, if you ask me. I will miss power football and lament the pretty boy pass league.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Too true. Sad, really, if you ask me. I will miss power football and lament the pretty boy pass league.

Not true....

pass happy gets you stats but balanced offense gets you to the SB.

There is a reason the Pats have been spanked at home the last 2 years in the playoffs...
There is a reason the Jets, Ravens, Steelers have been in the last few AFCCG's...

GB spread us out but if you look at their playoff run they had a balanced offense and relied on the run more than you think.

This league will always be about balance because the playoff teams always take away what you do best.. unless we play NE in the playoffs this year of course. :wink:

Oviedo
08-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Not true....

There is a reason the Pats have been spanked at home the last 2 years in the playoffs...
There is a reason the Jets, Ravens, Steelers have been in the last few AFCCG's...

GB spread us out but if you look at their playoff run they had a balanced offense and relied on the run more than you think.

This league will always be about balance because the playoff teams always take away what you do best.. unless we play NE in the playoffs this year of course. :wink:

We can disagree. The Packers spanked us last year and they had no running game at all. The Saints were a pass first team and they won. We won on a comeback (and the Cards almost beat us) because we just focused on passing our way down the field for the final score.

In the league of 2011, running is just a complement and a change of pace to passing. Teams that emphasize the run first are like the Bumgals and do so because they have no franchise QB and are risk adverse. It's about firepower and getting ahead and forcing your opponents to play catch up and take risks.

Djfan
08-17-2011, 10:51 AM

I honestly believe that Goodell will try to make it a pass happy league at every turn. He still thinks that the league needs to be star power driven and score happy. He simply doesn't understand power, smashmouth mano-y-mano football.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Not true....

We can disagree. The Packers spanked us last year and they had no running game at all. The Saints were a pass first team and they won. We won on a comeback (and the Cards almost beat us) because we just focused on passing our way down the field for the final score.

In the league of 2011, running is just a complement and a change of pace to passing. Teams that emphasize the run first are like the Bumgals and do so because they have no franchise QB and are risk adverse. It's about firepower and getting ahead and forcing your opponents to play catch up and take risks.

That's why I included that last line...

Team have success against us in the passing game but if you look at the Saints and GB in their playoff runs they were running the ball and getting good production. It's definitely a passing league but once the playoffs start.. unless you are playing the Steelers you better be able to run the ball.

birtikidis
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
and after every team is geared up to only stop the pass, the cycle will shift and teams will start bringing in heavy back to run against weak defensive lines. Players will adjust. Teams will adjust. The cycle will continue to turn.
*had to edit that.. meant pass not run

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 01:14 PM

I honestly believe that Goodell will try to make it a pass happy league at every turn. He still thinks that the league needs to be star power driven and score happy. He simply doesn't understand power, smashmouth mano-y-mano football.

:Agree

hopefully the game will balance itself out due to teams gearing up to stop the pass.

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
The Saints were a pass first team and they won.

In the 2009 season, the Saints were middle of the pack in terms of passing attempts (544 passes; 15th in the league) while they were in the top 10 in terms of rushing attempts (468 rushes; 7th most in the league). While they did not have a traditional bellcow back, they were able to use Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Reggie Bush that year.

feltdizz
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
The Saints were a pass first team and they won.

In the 2009 season, the Saints were middle of the pack in terms of passing attempts (544 passes; 15th in the league) while they were in the top 10 in terms of rushing attempts (468 rushes; 7th most in the league). While they did not have a traditional bellcow back, they were able to use Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Reggie Bush that year.

I fell for the pass happy Saints attack too until you pointed this out some time ago. I think the yards gained by passing makes it appear as though teams aren't running the ball as much... stats may be down a little but most teams we call pass happy are pretty balanced.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-17-2011, 03:47 PM
This whole Clay story is just another example of crappy reporting, jumping to get a story out before thoroughly checking out all the information. Isn't Kaboly the same dufus that reported that Plax to the Steelers was a "done deal"? From now on, Kaboly's stories can be taken with a huge grain of salt...