PDA

View Full Version : Camp Cupcake did not have Steelers ready to play

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2011, 07:02 PM
After further review …

August 14th, 2011
by Mark Kaboly - TribLive Blogs

After watching the Steelers/Redskins preseason game on DVR, here are some observations …

We all heard of Camp Cupcake, right?

Well, try Camp Cupcake times 10 and that properly describes the training camp that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has put his veteran players through over the past two weeks at St. Vincent College.

It has been limited reps and even fewer live reps (we’re talking about one or two live plays per practice) for the old guys, and you wonder why the Redskins went up and down the field on the Steelers’ defense during the first two series of Friday’s first preseason game?

The Redskins racked up 119 yards on 21 plays in two series against the majority of the first team defense and the reason is quite simple — they weren’t ready to play tackle football.

Tomlin said afterwards that the Redskins were better prepared to play the game.

Well, duh.

When have you ever been around a D!ck LeBeau defense that missed three tackles in a game, let alone one play.

On a screen pass late during the first drive, Darrel Young made Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Mundy and Brett Keisel miss tackles. Mind you, Young is a converted linebacker, not Reggie Bush.

The good thing for the defense is that their problem isn’t something that needs corrected. It is something that will be fixed by getting more live reps.

Unfortunately, that won’t come during training camp.

That will come against Philadelphia and Atlanta over the next two preseason games.

* Brett Keisel looked bad, maybe the worst of the entire first-team defense. On the opening drive, Keisel got pushed down the field 10 yards by Trent Williams on one play and pancaked by Kory Lichtensteiger on another. He got thrown to the ground again, this time by Williams, later in the opening drive and missed yet another tackle. The one tackle he made was 10 yards down the field.

* I find it quite ironic that the guy who is said to need training camp the most because he is out of shape played the best for the defense — Casey Hampton.

* I know there is a popular notion that Chris Kemoeatu will find himself on the bench to start the season in favor of Doug Legursky. On the first play of the game, the Steelers called “22 Double” where Legursky pulled from right to left. He made a clean hit on Ryan Kerrigan, but he didn’t clear him out like ‘Juicy’ can. Just sayin’…

* The play breakdown along the offensive line went like this: Chris Scott 29, Kyle Jolly 26, Tony Hills 26, John Malecki 23, Keith Williams 23, Ramon Foster 21, Marcus Gilbert 20, Doug Legursky 19, Maurkice Pouncey 12, Willie Colon 12, Jonathan Scott 12, Trevis Turner 11, Nevin McCaskill 11.

*Let’s just stop this kickoff charade and put the ball at the 20-yard line from this point forward. Moving the ball up 5 yards to the 35-yard line has essentially eliminated the kickoff. There were seven kickoffs in the game. All seven went into the end zone and six were touchbacks. The only one that wasn’t a touchback was taken out from eight yards deep.

* Chris Scott looked overwhelmed at times, but I might just have to give him a pass. Remember, Scott had no rookie year because of a foot injury and had no off-season because of the lockout. But saying that, he needs to get a lot better before he can be considered a potential starter.

* Isaac Redman ran with speed, ran with power and ran with desire. He looks a lot better since last year and very well could spell Rashard Mendenhall pretty nicely during the season.

* William Gay is not a cornerback. When he plays the outside, he gets exposed. If the Steelers have to rely on him on the outside, they could be in big trouble. Gay is a nickel guy. Period. And that was evident once again against the Redskins.

* Ryan Mundy looked sharp in the first half, but seemed to get tired in the second half. It appears that the Mundy has stepped up to be a legitimate backup for Troy Polamalu and/or Ryan Clark at either safey spot.

* After watching TE David Johnson try to block at the end of the line leads me to believe that Reggie Kelly might be getting a call very soon.

* On Redman’s touchdown, give credit to LT Tony Hills and WR Antonio Brown with a big assist to Doug Legursky.

Now for some quick word association hits with some key players as it is related to the Redskins game.

WR Antonio Brown — Expected
LB Jason Worilds — Underwhelming
LB Chris Carter — Inconsistent
DE Cameron Heyward — Powerful
NT Anthony Gray — Quicks
CB Keenan Lewis — Not bad, not good
OL Tony Hills — Shockingly good
P Daniel Sepulveda — 100 percent healthy
LB Stevenson Sylvester — Disappointing
PK Swayze Waters — Potential weapon
LB Mortty Ivy — Wants a roster spot
WR Arnaz Battle — Soon to be unemployed?

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... er-review/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/08/14/after-further-review/)

Chavezz
08-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Something to consider about Camp Cupcake. Because of the lockout, a lot of players probably haven't worked out or kept themselves in top condition during the offseason. Think about training camp over the last however long you want to go back. How many players were injured during those first weeks? The typical player trying to do too much when their body wasn't ready for it. Pulled hammys, high ankle sprains, etc.

I might be giving Tomlin too much credit here but maybe he's bringing everyone along slowly so they can get in shape? Also, we have a lot of vets on the team, do you really want to see guys like Aaron Smith practicing on Tuesday or playing on Sundays?

SidSmythe
08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Some of the posts I read on here remind me of the ignorant Bills fans around Western NY where I live.
About the only thing I took out of the game the other night is Dixon sucks badly ... other than that, a 1st preseason game really doesn't matter much after 1 & a half weeks of camp

Shawn
08-14-2011, 09:09 PM
It wouldn't shock me to see Hills step up and have a good season...either starting or stepping in after injury. He has always had the talent...just wondered if the light bulb would ever go on for him.

pittpete
08-15-2011, 02:03 AM
* After watching TE David Johnson try to block at the end of the line leads me to believe that Reggie Kelly might be getting a call very soon.

I definitely agree with this statement...

Oviedo
08-15-2011, 08:23 AM

I said this going into last year. Johnson does nothing to the level he needs to..block or catch. I was really hoping they would grab Hynoski to take his place because IMO he is a liability.

The thought of him as potentially the #2 TE is absolutely frightening. Could you see him as the #1 if Heath gets injured...disasterous. His play would have us begging for Spaeth to come back.

MaxAMillion
08-15-2011, 12:55 PM
I expect there to be a "camp cupcake" when you have an older veteran team. You simply can't push this older defense around in practice and hope they can make it through a full season.

I really didn't take much from the first season game. Just glad we didn't have a lot of injuries to deal with.

phillyesq
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
It wouldn't shock me to see Hills step up and have a good season...either starting or stepping in after injury. He has always had the talent...just wondered if the light bulb would ever go on for him.

Hills shined last year in the preseason playing against second and third stringers. I'd like to see him succeed against first string talent consistently before I'd trust him to even be the backup LT.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-15-2011, 02:35 PM
The goal of the pre season is to have the team ready to play week one against the Ravens, not pre season week one against the Redskins.

If they were to come out and play like this when it counts then I'd worry, but I'll have absolutely no problems with the way they look in the pre season games.

ter1230_4
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM

I said this going into last year. Johnson does nothing to the level he needs to..block or catch. I was really hoping they would grab Hynoski to take his place because IMO he is a liability.

The thought of him as potentially the #2 TE is absolutely frightening. Could you see him as the #1 if Heath gets injured...disasterous. His play would have us begging for Spaeth to come back.

Johnson is a bum. He was more responsible for Mendy's fumble in the Super Bowl than Mendy was. If you take a look at the replay, Johnson managed to split the two defenders before they hit Mendy without laying a finger on either one. Then he stood there like a statue while the ball was on the ground. What a total stiff.

Steelerphile
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM

Hills shined last year in the preseason playing against second and third stringers. I'd like to see him succeed against first string talent consistently before I'd trust him to even be the backup LT.

Still hatin'. He can be trusted to be the backup LT right now. He can't put himself in. The coaches have to do it. When the light finally goes on for them and he gets his chance. He'll do the job.

steelz09
08-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Johnson is a bum. He was more responsible for Mendy's fumble in the Super Bowl than Mendy was. If you take a look at the replay, Johnson managed to split the two defenders before they hit Mendy without laying a finger on either one. Then he stood there like a statue while the ball was on the ground. What a total stiff.

Totally agree. Johnson missed a block against the skins which looked identical to the play in the SB which caused the Mendy fumble.

I really don't get how he is still on the team.

flippy
08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Was it Saunders that almost got Batch or Lefty killed?

Seriously, Ward is glorified receiving TE and Heath is our blocking TE. No other 2 TE combo should be used in our offense for now. Need an extra blocker in the backfield, use Redman.

Shoe
08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I might be giving Tomlin too much credit here but maybe he's bringing everyone along slowly so they can get in shape? Also, we have a lot of vets on the team, do you really want to see guys like Aaron Smith practicing on Tuesday or playing on Sundays?

I hope he has a plan. Because our off-season (Harrison's remarks, Hines DWTS + DWI, Batman movie role) is the type of stuff you end up reading after the season as factors for a disappointing season.

Shawn
08-17-2011, 06:22 PM

There is no doubt that Hills has much to prove. But, the talent IMO is undeniable. He was spoken of as a first round talent before his fibula fracture. He is a converted TE, so the guy can move, and his senior season he was on the Outland Trophy watch list. Unfortunately for him, he got labeled "injury prone" (which happens to be correct) and slid in the draft. Injuries have really hindered his progress. But, if he can stay healthy I suspect he will win a starting position at RG.

Chavezz
08-17-2011, 06:36 PM

There is no doubt that Hills has much to prove. But, the talent IMO is undeniable. He was spoken of as a first round talent before his fibula fracture. He is a converted TE, so the guy can move, and his senior season he was on the Outland Trophy watch list. Unfortunately for him, he got labeled "injury prone" (which happens to be correct) and slid in the draft. Injuries have really hindered his progress. But, if he can stay healthy I suspect he will win a starting position at RG.

I'm drawing from memory here but doesn't he have, what I believe is called, "drop foot"? Isn't that something that you never recover from?

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm drawing from memory here but doesn't he have, what I believe is called, "drop foot"? Isn't that something that you never recover from?

Mia Hamm, arguably the greatest women's soccer player ever was born with "drop foot" and she was able to overcome that disability to reach the greatest of heights in her sport.

Shawn
08-18-2011, 07:21 AM

Without his medical records it's really hard to know what disabilities the man plays with on a daily basis. With that said, that injury was in high school. It was actually a knee injury that caused the damage to the nerve in the foot. With that said, people can display deficits neurologically and recover completely. It really depends on the injury. With that said, it was in High School and he played at a high level throughout college. I don't think it's a serious issue. Considering the Steelers consider Hills the most mobile OLman they have...I would suggest it's not an issue for him. It's either completely healed or he has learned to compensate.

Shawn
08-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Looks like Hills had a good game against the Eagles. Hopefully, we have found our starting RG.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Steelers Notes: Doesn't get any easier

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/79/c7908b0c-07ef-5481-b228-2fe7a61c5c9b/4e50648a0c116.preview-300.jpg

Hines Ward celebrates after scoring the first touchdown in the preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field on Thursday.

Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH - Training camp may be over, but that doesn't mean practices will be any easier for the Steelers now that they've returned to team headquarters on the South Side of town.

On Saturday, practice lasted two hours and 40 minutes. That was 55 minutes longer than scheduled.

"The point we were making to our football team is that even though we're back here in the comforts of our facility, the team-building hasn't stopped," coach Mike Tomlin said.

"We're still very much in development. We're still very much in a training camp-like mode in terms of how we work -- pitting Steelers vs. Steelers and competing. We had a good day from that standpoint."

During camp, Tomlin typically conducted practices that lasted two-and-a-half hours.
The Steelers will be back on the practice field today at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex and then have a day off Monday.

HILLS MAKES PROGRESS

Fourth-year pro Tony Hills is hoping to start again at right guard Saturday when they Steelers host the Falcons.

A seldom-used tackle his first three years with the Steelers, Hills is part of the competition at right guard along with Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. Hills started there against the Eagles but moved to left tackle after Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert were hurt.

"He's a guy who's in the mix, like some others, and that's what we're here for," Tomlin said. "He has represented himself well and if he continues to do that he'll continue to be given opportunities."

"I feel like I'm picking up on it," Hills said. "This game is a constant elevation. You just have to keep coming. Every day, you have to keep laying bricks. I feel like there are a lot of things that I have to learn, but, overall, I feel like I'm learning them and I'm learning them quick."

WARD'S TD DANCE

After catching a 20-yard touchdown pass against the Eagles, wide receiver Hines Ward paid tribute to his "Dancing with the Stars" partner Kym Johnson by doing the samba as a TD celebration.

"All the guys have been ragging on me all preseason about doing something," Ward said. "That was just a little test, to test it out. And all the guys liked it. I want to give a shout out to my dance partner, Kym Johnson, and to let her know I'm still thinking about her."

Ward said he has more dancing celebrations planned for future TDs.

INJURY UPDATE

After Thursday night's preseason game against the Eagles, Mike Tomlin said that knee injuries to tackles Scott and Gilbert were not thought to be serious. After practice Saturday, he confirmed that the preliminary diagnosis was accurate.

Both Scott and Gilbert hyper-extended their knees and both are expected back at practice within a week. Scott has been the starting left tackle since former Steeler Max Starks went down with a season-ending neck injury in the seventh game last year. Scott was hurt on the Steelers' first offensive snap in the 24-14 win over the Eagles. Gilbert, a rookie taken in the second round of this year's draft, replaced Scott at left tackle but was hurt a few plays later.

WR Jerricho Cotchery "should be fine," according to Tomlin after tweaking a hamstring Thursday night.

Legursky missed practice with "some kind of injury, lower body. We're going to give him a day or two," Tomlin said.

Kicker Shaun Suisham didn't practice as he recovers from last week's appendectomy.

Also hobbling: CB Donovan Warren has a hip flexor and LB Jason Worilds left practice with a quadriceps/groin pull

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... f5899.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-notes-doesn-t-get-any-easier/article_97782a45-ec14-5293-b556-495b7a8f5899.html)