PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison has lost some of his leg strength

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2011, 06:50 PM
SUNDAY, AUGUST 14, 2011

posted by Dale Lolley

© Word is that James Harrison, who sat out Friday night's preseason game to rest his back, has seen some of his leg power decrease.

According to sources, Harrison used to squat over 600 pounds in the weight room. But after a pair of offseason back surgeries, he's at 365 or so.

That's not good.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

SteelCrazy
08-14-2011, 07:02 PM
It does make sense. Maybe that's why Baron Batch "held his own" against Deebo in practice.

rpmpit
08-14-2011, 07:31 PM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you think he'd risk re-injuring his back by squatting his max so soon after his back surgery??

Snatch98
08-14-2011, 08:02 PM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you think he'd risk re-injuring his back by squatting his max so soon after his back surgery??

No sh.it. I guess some people don't spend much time in the gym, especially after an injury. Why the hell would he push for 600 pounds?

Oviedo
08-14-2011, 08:27 PM
May make finding the money to resign Troy and Timmons next season that much easier :stirpot
Perhaps Harrison's frustrations and anger he expressed in the recent article was less about last season and more about what he knows is going on with his body.

While he may not be "trying" to max his weight in the weight room because of his surgery, we go "live" in 3 weeks. How much additional healing do we really think will occur in 3 weeks.

Discipline of Steel
08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, lets just cut him now and make room for the young studs.

:lol:

birtikidis
08-14-2011, 08:50 PM
:HeadBanger
as someone who had similar surgery as James, I can attest to the fact that 3 weeks of "live" practice and games will be an extremely important time for him to rehab. Big difference between squatting and hitting a dude. c'mon man. you can't even be serious.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-14-2011, 09:20 PM
:HeadBanger
as someone who had similar surgery as James, I can attest to the fact that 3 weeks of "live" practice and games will be an extremely important time for him to rehab. Big difference between squatting and hitting a dude. c'mon man. you can't even be serious.

he is.

chiken
08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
This is Stupid as ....... I saw the interview when the Guy asked James about his rehab and James said that he is coming back slow - that INSTEAD of squatting 600 he is cutting back to 365.. wow.

SteelCrazy
08-14-2011, 10:18 PM

I thought about that but if that is the case he isnt completely healed so when can he go full out? Is 3 more weeks going to be all the difference? He had these surgeries in february and march. He was supposed to be at 100% after 6 weeks and it been 18 weeks.

birtikidis
08-14-2011, 11:51 PM

I thought about that but if that is the case he isnt completely healed so when can he go full out? Is 3 more weeks going to be all the difference? He had these surgeries in february and march. He was supposed to be at 100% after 6 weeks and it been 18 weeks.
He's probably very close to 100%
being able to squate 600 pounds doesn't make him 100%
he's using muscles right now that he can't replicate in a gym. Those muscles need time to recuperate.

RuthlessBurgher
08-15-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm actually a little uncomfortable with him lifting as much as 365 lbs. following back surgery (I'd be freaking mortified if I read him trying to lift up to 600 lbs. so soon after surgery, without the supervision of the team's strength and conditioning coach until the last few weeks). This isn't a power lifting contest...throwing your back out trying to be macho in the weight room would be pure unadulterated stupidity right now. I'd imagine that his back would be better off doing more reps at a lighter weight than less reps at a heavier weight. Perhaps his logic is that the biggest tackle he'll have to face this year would be about 365 lbs., so that is why he maxed out at that weight at this point.

flippy
08-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Maybe the Rats should hurry and sign Max, cause James can't squat him right now.

AzStillers1989
08-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Maybe the Rats should hurry and sign Max, cause James can't squat him right now.

:lol: I love the humor on this board.

LETS GO STEELERS!!

pittpete
08-15-2011, 01:56 AM
No such thing as being "fully healed", once they cut open your spine.

rpmpit
08-15-2011, 06:57 AM

he's using muscles right now that he can't replicate in a gym. Those muscles need time to recuperate.

Barbell squats and flat bench presses are the two most dangerous exercises in the gym. I have one bad knee, one horrible knee and two screwed up shoulders to prove that. They're more about bragging rights (that no one really cares about anyway) than building usable strength. Other (safer) alternatives are just as good at building strength, without the risk associated with heavy squats and flat benches.

rpmpit
08-15-2011, 07:06 AM

Barbell squats and flat bench presses are the two most dangerous exercises in the gym. I have one bad knee, one horrible knee and two screwed up shoulders to prove that. They're more about bragging rights (that no one really cares about anyway) than building usable strength. Other (safer) alternatives are just as good at building strength, without the risk associated with heavy squats and flat benches.

Continued... :lol:

And the reason I posted this is that I think elite athletes, earning millions of dollars, probably shouldn't be doing these high risk exercises anyway. At least not with the kind of weight James was using prior to his injury.

Oviedo
08-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Some can pooh pooh the idea that there is reason to be concerned aboy whther Harrison will be fully recovered from his surgery but there is legitimate reason to be concerned.

Harrison is a bull rusher who relies on pure leg strngth and drive to get leverage on much larger OTs. If he was a speed rusher or had a full complement of other pass rushing moves there would be less reason for concern, however if he really has lost any of his leg strength then that is a serious problem for our defense that absolutely relies on QB pressure to cover up for a mediocre secondary. There is no reason to panic now, but it bears watching once the season starts.

If "turf toe" can end the career of jack Lambert don't think for a second that back surgery can't initiate the decline of James Harrison.

rpmpit
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Not pooh-poohing anything. Obviously there is concern. Just saying the simple fact that he's squatting less right now is not a reason for concern.

I'd wager that if James attempted 600lbs right now he'd get it up with no problem. But why risk it so soon after surgery and rehab??

And seriously, if he was in ANY pain at all, he wouldn't be able to squat 135. Nevermind 365. He's just being smart and slowly working his way back up to his normal numbers.

birtikidis
08-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Any major surgery for ANY professional athlete bears watching.

chiken
08-15-2011, 12:04 PM
C'mon guys lets use our heads here. James Harrison is the one who said he is only squatting 365 right now. It's not like there was someone spying on him and witnessing him only squatting 365 and running back to report it.

James has hid his injuries before because he says that Guys will take advantage of you if they know you are injured.

WHY would he tell the world that he is not the player he use to be? Why would anybody even believe that he is now an easier guy to defend.. What sense does this even make? Is he maybe looking for Sympathy or Mercy from the guys trying to block him?

feltdizz
08-15-2011, 12:09 PM
:Agree

Shoe
08-15-2011, 12:54 PM
What are all you homer honks getting all bent out of shape over the comment? It's only natural, having back surgery, that you use STRENGTH. Your back strength directly correlates to how much weight you can squat or leg press. It's NATURAL and logical that he probably will never be as strong as he was, following back surgery. Yall are acting like it's a personal affront to you, saying James Harrison will not be the same player he was. It's pretty likely that he won't.

feltdizz
08-15-2011, 01:08 PM
What are all you homer honks getting all bent out of shape over the comment? It's only natural, having back surgery, that you use STRENGTH. Your back strength directly correlates to how much weight you can squat or leg press. It's NATURAL and logical that he probably will never be as strong as he was, following back surgery. Yall are acting like it's a personal affront to you, saying James Harrison will not be the same player he was. It's pretty likely that he won't.

sounds like you are bent out of shape over folks being bent out of shape.... :lol:

No one is ever the "same" after surgery but I'm hoping James production is just as good.

rpmpit
08-15-2011, 01:24 PM
But what if it was a long term nagging injury that we didn't know about?? What if having the surgery actually makes him better?? Scary thought, huh??? :twisted:

rpmpit
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM

NJ-STEELER
08-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Didn't the author of that article follow him around for a couple of days and wrote Of his workout program and how intense it was?

feltdizz
08-15-2011, 01:57 PM
But what if it was a long term nagging injury that we didn't know about?? What if having the surgery actually makes him better?? Scary thought, huh??? :twisted:

The surgery could definitely make him savvier. Might see less straight up bull rushing and more finesse moves uh, err.... whatever word fits a guy like that.

Slapstick
08-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I think that perhaps it isn't so much that James can't squat 600 lbs as much as it is that James doesn't want to after back surgery...

Why risk a setback if he isn't currently 100%?

flippy
08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
What if he got the Tommy John of back surgeries and it makes him a bionic beast?

rpmpit
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
What if he got the Tommy John of back surgeries and it makes him a bionic beast?

I just called James and told him you don't think he's a bionic beast yet. I heard the phone drop and running footsteps. Good luck flip.

birtikidis
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM

I just called James and told him you don't think he's a bionic beast yet. I heard the phone drop and running footsteps. Good luck flip.
He was dead before you picked up the phone.. poor flippy

Discipline of Steel
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
I cant wait for the first game James Harrison doesnt have a sack and all the JH naysayers will be crowing that hes finished and the Steelers should start giving Jason Worilds significant playing time. BTW, notice the title of the article refers to leg strength...that should say something about the credibility of the author.

Captain Lemming
08-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Harrisons cap hit this year $5,875,000

He literally is "The Six Million Dollar Man". :)

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 10:10 PM

and they look alike as well...

http://midor.biz/images/The6MillionDollarMan.jpghttp://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200909/dianasteelers0831aa_500.jpg

flippy
08-16-2011, 11:07 PM

He was dead before you picked up the phone.. poor flippy

Out of all the Steelers I'd probably get along best with James. I see a lot of similarities between me and James. I don't get BS. I'm too much of a knucklehead to sugarcoat anything. I'm honest to my own detriment. And I tend to get along best with people that the rest of the world just doesn't understand.

Don't get me wrong, James is ridiculously mean on the field. I'm ridiculously the opposite from the perspective of almost nothing ever makes me angry. But I think polar opposites are a lot alike.

I see the commonality I have with James as innocence. Some might call it dumb ignorance and it's probably some of that too.

ie. he'd feel too bad for me to kill me :)

RuthlessBurgher
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
he'd feel too bad for me to kill me :)

That's assuming that Deebo is capable of sympathy. He seems like one remorseless mofo to me, flip. Good luck.
:wink:

Slapstick
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Actually, that number doesn't reflect the restructured contract that reduced his cap hit this year...

SteelAbility
08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Harrison squatting 365? As in days a year? Not too bad in my book. :D

phillyesq
08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Apparently, he still has some strength issues in his back/legs:

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=111300

Even despite that, he looked ok on Thursday.

Maybe he'll need to be spelled a bit during the season - I hope that Worilds is up to the challenge.

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2011, 02:24 PM
On the Steelers: Harrison's back is feeling better; no ligament damage to knees of Scott, Gilbert

Sunday, August 21, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/freed_steelers081811_1_330.jpg

Jonathan Scott is helped off the field after being injured in the first quarter against the Eagles Thursday at Heinz Field.

The Steelers, along with Jonathan Scott, exhaled in relief and then went about their business Saturday.

"It's always good news, knowing you don't have a torn ligament," said Scott, the team's starting left tackle.

That was not what Scott first thought when his right knee bent the wrong way on the first play of the preseason game against Philadelphia Thursday night at Heinz Field.

"Oh, God, I hope my career is not over," Scott remembers thinking.

The good news did not become official for Scott and rookie tackle Marcus Gilbert until they received the results of their Friday MRIs that there was no ligament damage to Scott's right knee and Gilbert's left. Coach Mike Tomlin said Saturday that each will miss only a couple of days of practice.

"We're anxious to get those guys out here, particularly Marcus Gilbert; a young guy like him needs as many opportunities to improve as he can," Tomlin said.

The Steelers offensive line has been in enough turmoil without losing its starting left tackle and one of its backups, a second-round draft choice. Both left the Eagles game in the first half with their knee injuries.

The next logical tackle to put there -- and the guys the Steelers did use for a while against the Eagles -- would be Tony Hills. But Hills is starting at right guard, where he is trying to make the transition from tackle and might make his second consecutive start there Saturday against the Atlanta Falcons at Heinz Field.

"He's a guy who's in the mix like some others and that's what we're here for," Tomlin said. "He's represented himself well; if he continues to do that he'll continue to be given opportunities."

With two more preseason games remaining and just one in which the first team will play more than one series, the line shapes up like this: Scott at left tackle, Chris Kemoeatu at left guard, Maurkice Pouncey at center, Hills or incumbent Ramon Foster at right guard and Willie Colon at right tackle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/harrison0821_500.jpg

Harrison works his way back

Imagine having back surgery in March and, five months later, fending off 350-pound men for three hours.

It is what is expected of All-Pro linebacker James Harrison, and he did just that for a full two quarters against the Philadelphia Eagles for the first time since his second back surgery over a week's time early in March.

The pain and numbness have subsided, not disappeared, and he is not back to full strength. Still, Harrison said he feels better than he did during his All-Pro 2010 season, so that is good news for him and his employers.

It was a "good opportunity to get some actual wear and tear that's not practice against other people," Harrison said. "They're not actually going to look out for you and take care of you as your teammates would in practice."

Harrison was able to enunciate in that one sentence the difference between looking good in practice and actually playing in games. In practice, they take care of each other, they are not trying to rip their teammates' heads off the way an opponent might do, even in a preseason game (see Michael Vick's tackle on Troy Polamalu Thursday night).

Shortly after Harrison reported to camp, he said he had "tingling" down his leg and some numbness. Tomlin held him out of practices here and there for precautionary reasons.

After the 24-14 victory against the Eagles Thursday, Harrison said his back is still healing and it may take up to a year for it to return to full health.

"All in all, I'm not 100 percent but it was good enough and hopefully I will continue to get better," Harrison said.

That would beat the alternative. But he reports improvement since his first days at camp.

"There's still pain but the pain down my legs and all that, the weakness and all is gone. But I'm not as strong as I was. It's a process that's going to take time. I'm not really that far along, basically about six months out right now. To really get full healing you're looking at anywhere between nine, 12 even up to 18 months."

Dr. Joseph Maroon performed a rather simple surgery on Harrison called a disechtomy that removes a herniated disc pushing against a nerve, and had to go back a week later to take another piece out.

"You're still healing from the surgery itself," Harrison said. "It repaired the problem but having the pain going down your legs to where your legs go numb, you can't really feel all that. Sometimes your legs just give out on you."

Playing with the pain and numbness last season, Harrison led the Steelers with 10 1/2 sacks and six forced fumbles.

"I'll be all right, hopefully. I made it through most of last year with it the worst shape it could be in. Right now it's just a matter of getting the strength back and endurance," Harrison said.

Quick hits

Guard Doug Legursky (leg), linebacker Jason Worilds (quad) and cornerback Donovan Warren (hip flexor) have new injuries. ... Tomlin said the cornerbacks "did a better job in this game and we'll expect it to continue." One problem for them has been getting some back on the field, including Crezdon Butler (thigh), rookie Cortez Allen (hamstring) and starter Bryant McFadden (hamstring). ... Tomlin put his team through another 2 1/2 hour practice, continuing the trend at camp at Saint Vincent College after their return to their South Side training facility. It ended about 1:30 p.m., he met with the media and then hightailed it the 45 minutes to Hempfield High School for Terrelle Pryor's pre-draft workout.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11233/11 ... z1VgHhBpnH (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11233/1168815-66-0.stm#ixzz1VgHhBpnH)

SidSmythe
08-21-2011, 09:23 PM
I heard the US Gov't doesn't take income taxes out of James Harrison's paychecks cuz they're too scared to try

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-21-2011, 11:02 PM
On the Steelers: Harrison's back is feeling better; no ligament damage to knees of Scott, Gilbert

Sunday, August 21, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette...
Dr. Joseph Maroon performed a rather simple surgery on Harrison called a disechtomy that removes a herniated disc pushing against a nerve, and had to go back a week later to take another piece out ...

Don't know much about back surgery, but if it was so simple how come he had to go back in a week later to take another piece out?

Smells like FUBAR to me ...

AzStillers1989
08-22-2011, 01:06 AM

and they look alike as well...

http://midor.biz/images/The6MillionDollarMan.jpghttp://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200909/dianasteelers0831aa_500.jpg

:lol: I find this to be humorous haha.

Jooser
08-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Dos Equis should start a series of commercials with JH - The Most Intimidating Man in the World. "He's a lover not a fighter, but he's a fighter too, so back off." "They say his tears can heal cancer, the only problem is ... James Harrison has never cried... ever."

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Fool Me Once...

By Jerry DiPaola | Mon, 08/22/2011

http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/PSR/sites/default/files/imagecache/lead-image-full/_Steelers_Harrison_GR0L9320.jpg

James Harrison’s biggest problem isn’t the disrespect for authority he wears so brazenly on his bare chest. The NFL has plenty of those type players who flourish and make loads of cash for themselves and their teams.

Harrison need not worry about how his remarks on the shortcomings of teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall will be viewed when he walks into the Steelers locker room.

Players criticize teammates all the time on every level of sports. Life goes on just fine.

Even his horrible insults of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell may not draw more than a fine, and Goodell may not even go that far. Harrison isn’t the first player to speak unkindly of a commissioner (although the homophobic slur crossed the line).

But here’s what should have Harrison losing sleep at night, if he has even an ounce of sense:

He’s 33-years-old, entering his eighth NFL season, and he had two back surgeries in the offseason that could accelerate slippage in his level of play.

Years of tangling with offensive tackles who are close to 100 pounds heavier eventually will take a toll.

If that happens, the Steelers will not hesitate to cut ties with their loud-mouth linebacker. If he’s not sacking the quarterback to his high standards, who needs the hassle?

Then, he can say goodbye to most of that $51 million contract that has four years remaining and many millions of dollars still yet to be paid.

Ouch.

Hurts doesn’t it, James? Just like your words could hurt if anyone paid attention to them.

Before going too far with our criticism of Harrison , it’s important and fair to mention that he is one of the great linebackers in the Steelers’ grand history at the position. He deserves to be mentioned prominently with Hall of Famers Jack Ham and Jack Lambert and, perhaps, ahead of Greg Lloyd, who was just as nasty but had the good sense to keep his mouth shut most of the time.

Mean, relentless, difficult to block, incredibly productive, Harrison helped his team arrive at three Super Bowls, winning two. He has been selected to the Pro Bowl and the All-Pro team each of the past four seasons, and was NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008.

http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/PSR/sites/default/files/_James%20harrison%20re-sized_0.jpg

Any smart coach would take Harrison on his team right now, no matter how uncivil or rude his actions may appear.

But the NFL is also an unforgiving entity. Players, even those with great reputations, are not given much leeway when their physical gifts start to erode.

Chuck Noll once referred to Franco Harris as “Franco, who?” when his salary demands didn’t match his diminished skill level.

If Harrison can no longer get to the quarterback with regularity—and that day may not occur for a year or two—the Steelers will cut ties with him, too. And in his case, the club won’t look back and will act swiftly, given his latest outburst to Men’s Journal magazine and his previous refusal to accompany his teammates to the White House.

That’s the way sports treats its elderly. If you can’t play well enough to justify those outrageous salaries, you must come to grips with reality. You can’t play forever.

The same will happen soon to wide receiver Hines Ward, linebacker James Farrior and defensive end Aaron Smith when they no longer can help the Steelers win games.

Ward and Farrior look safe for another season or two, although Ward needs to be punished severely if he is found guilty of drunk-driving.

But Smith has been plagued by season-ending injuries in the latter stages of his career. He may survive another season, too, but the Steelers have used their first-round draft choice on a defensive end in two of the past three years.

Like any good team, they are preparing for the inevitable.

You won’t meet a finer man or a better father or husband than Aaron Smith, qualities that will work in his favor. But his salary, when judged against younger, less inexpensive players Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward, gets tougher for the Steelers to swallow every year.

http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/PSR/sites/default/files/_harrison.jpg

That’s why as a player ages into his 30s, he must be careful how he acts in public. Sometimes, teams can tolerate insubordination from a linebacker who collects 10 sacks per season. When that number drops to five while his salary remains high, teams don’t need any more reason to look elsewhere.

Sadly for Harrison, he never learned to tread lightly. On the field, that’s a good thing. Off the field, it can be a career killer.

http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/PSR/node/2799