PDA

View Full Version : Does tonights secondary performance....

insanesteelersfan
08-12-2011, 11:30 PM
....Make it even more necessary to try and go after Asante Samuel ? Not that I think Philly would just give him away. And not that I totally think we need him. Remember, our Defense in pre-season is always a Vanilla Defense. And it's not the Zone-Blitz coverage that our guys are used to. So why wouldn't they look a bit lost out there ? But regardless, should Asante be on the steelers radar even more now ?

eniparadoxgma
08-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Not sure why you'd want to bring Samuel in when we already have the all-pro CB/QB/LB Mike Wallace...

insanesteelersfan
08-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Not sure why you'd want to bring Samuel in when we already have the all-pro CB/QB/LB Mike Wallace...

Where did I write that I wanted to bring him in ? I kust posed a ?...In fact, I think our defensive performamce was due to what it always is during pre-season games,,,and that's because we never show our true defensive Blitz packages in Garbage games.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2011, 11:57 PM
yes we were playing a vanilla defense but our DBs are still supposed to cover somebody, something they were not able to do tonight.

D Rock
08-13-2011, 12:01 AM
"even more necessary" = it was already necessary, and is more so now.

By saying that, you said that you believe we NEED to bring Asante Samuel to the Steelers. AKA...it is necessary for the Steelers to get him.

insanesteelersfan
08-13-2011, 12:08 AM

By saying that, you said that you believe we NEED to bring Asante Samuel to the Steelers. AKA...it is necessary for the Steelers to get him.

Not at all. I just asked your all's opinions. In fact, I'm not totally convinced Philly even wants to trade him. They are still under the Cap. So they don't need to trade him for Salary reasons. So they really might try to over value Asante. Me, I just say stay status Quo....for now.

D Rock
08-13-2011, 12:17 AM

Not at all. I just asked your all's opinions. In fact, I'm not totally convinced Philly even wants to trade him. They are still under the Cap. So they don't need to trade him for Salary reasons. So they really might try to over value Asante. Me, I just say stay status Quo....for now.

False.

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2011, 01:52 AM
I would not call this tight coverage...

The Bad

William Gay

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/pd04steelers081211_330.jpg

Gay wasted no time getting his year off to the kind of look-Ma-no-coverage start we really ought to expect of him at this point. On his very first play from scrimmage, he was smoked on a 16-yard slant from Santana Moss.

I really, really hope Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden can stay healthy throughout the season and third-year man Keenan Lewis steps up to fill the nickelback role. Gay has produced from time to time in the past, so while his celing is respectable, there's just no underestimating his floor.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... in/2124339 (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/8/12/2360508/nfl-preseason-washington-redskins-isaac-redman-santana-moss-cameron-heyward-antonio-brown-grossman/in/2124339)

BradshawsHairdresser
08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Gay has produced from time to time in the past, so while his ceiling is respectable, there's just no underestimating his floor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

williar
08-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Our dbs play like carbon copies of each other. I couldn't tell one from the other as far as their play. I guess it is the scheme or something. I was hoping with the coaching change we would see more an upgrade. It's the same ole thing, play off the receiver while letting him catch everything in front. Before you know the offense has nickled and dimed our corners into the redzone.

MaxAMillion
08-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Our dbs play like carbon copies of each other. I couldn't tell one from the other as far as their play. I guess it is the scheme or something. I was hoping with the coaching change we would see more an upgrade. It's the same ole thing, play off the receiver while letting him catch everything in front. Before you know the offense has nickled and dimed our corners into the redzone.

That was not the case in the first half. There were multiple times when the DB played tight coverage at the line of scrimmage with the WR. There were two problems that I saw. One, the DB's outside of Taylor struggle with a second move. Lewis will initially be stride for stride with a receiver but he struggles to change direction so once a move is made by the WR, Lewis gives up separtion. Two, no one was near the QB. You simply can't play pass defense in the NFL if you can't hit the QB. The Redskins ran a bunch of play action off those stretch runs and they had no one in their face most of the time. Meanwhile the Steelers QB's got pressured all night.

steelerkeylargo
08-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe Cotchery can play some CB!!!

papillon
08-13-2011, 01:08 PM
....Make it even more necessary to try and go after Asante Samuel ? Not that I think Philly would just give him away. And not that I totally think we need him. Remember, our Defense in pre-season is always a Vanilla Defense. And it's not the Zone-Blitz coverage that our guys are used to. So why wouldn't they look a bit lost out there ? But regardless, should Asante be on the steelers radar even more now ?

I don't know about Samuel and getting him from the Eagles, but the Steeler secondary as it is currently constituted is in for a long season. Let's hope Polamalu and Clark will be able to play the majority of the season and at their high standards. Otherwise, I haveto think the new pass happy NFL will torch this group.

Pappy

chiken
08-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Our Secondary "may" be in trouble but I don't think we can tell that from last night.
*No Game plan so NO heat on the QB
* Gay is our Nickel Corner..
* No Troy (when healthy always makes the qb think for a split second longer)
* And they Ran the ball at will on our Starters..

Not saying we are not going to have some problems, just saying last night looked like exactly what Tomlin Said - they just went out and played.

oh and Mundy didn't play bad.

Oviedo
08-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Let's hope the offense can score lots of points because the secondary will always keep opponents in the game. Of course this was just preseason but what we saw was a problem that we have been seeing for the past 2+ years. When opponents get rid of the ball quickly we have real problems. The elite teams can and will do that. The Packers in the Super Bowl gave the league the blueprint to follow.

Djfan
08-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Let's hope the offense can score lots of points because the secondary will always keep opponents in the game. Of course this was just preseason but what we saw was a problem that we have been seeing for the past 2+ years. When opponents get rid of the ball quickly we have real problems. The elite teams can and will do that. The Packers in the Super Bowl gave the league the blueprint to follow.

The Pack just did what Marsha always does to us. It's a no brainer when two of your best players are playing hurt.

I hope that we play Troy and Clark in the Tampa two a lot, but not at the line. That will make the QBs slow down, giving time to Deebo and company.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Don't see LeBeau and Co. going after Samuel. They prefer CBs who are willing to tackle (and to give up a 10-yard cushion).

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
oh and Mundy didn't play bad.

Post-Washington thoughts

SATURDAY, AUGUST 13, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Tough game for Ryan Mundy. He was getting worked over so much in coverage that you would have sworn the Redskins game planned it.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/