PDA

View Full Version : Which Pre-Seaon Player?

Lonbull
08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I suspect we all just want the regular starters to get their usual reps during pre-season and get to the regular season healthy - that aside ---

I'm curious who you guys are paying close attention too....that may be on the bubble or you're looking for a leap of development.

For me, I'm watching Mario Harvey out of Marshall - granted he's smallish, and when he played against major talent (Ohio State) he struggled....but I think he's a great Undrafted Steeler......the kind of guy with nothing but hustle and instincts and I'm hoping he surprises and at least makes the practice squad.

I'm also hoping Antonio Brown breaks out this season....so I'm hoping for a solid pre-season from him, leading into the opening game.

Who are your "outside" favorites?

L.B.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Players to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers' Friday Preseason Opener Against Washington Redskins

by Simonsen on Aug 10, 2011

Stevenson Sylvester, Inside Linebacker, #55, 2nd Year

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/777442/2011_TC_82_0264--nfl_medium_540_360_JPG_medium.jpg

Year after year, people worry about the increasing age of the Steelers defense; yet, year after year, that very same defense ranks among the top in the NFL. And quietly, D!ck LeBeau and his assistant coaches are grooming young and talented replacements for the aging stars. One of them is Stevenson Sylvester, a linebacker out of Utah who was drafted in the fifth round in 2010 as a special teams ace and potential replacement for defensive captain James Farrior once the latter slows down.

During the 2010 training camp, Sylvester impressed the Steelers coaches enough to make the 53 man roster over fellow rookie linebacker Thad Gibson. He showed flashes of his potential during the season, but truly became an eye-opener in this yearís camp where he has starred both in scrimmages and individual drills, such as backs-on-backers. I dubbed him the star of the first camp week in an earlier report, but none of that matters if his skills and playmaking donít translate into game action. If he comes close to his practice performances, he should be a joy to watch against Washington.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hris-scott (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/10/2354394/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-preseason-baron-batch-keenan-lewis-chris-scott)

Dee Dub
08-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Hines Ward. He is definitely on the decline.

But as far as youngsters....

Cameron Heyward. He has the potential to make the biggest impact.

phillyesq
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Sylvester, Worilds and Carter, and to a lesser degree, the ILBs. Heard a lot of hype on Sylvester, and I liked what I saw from him last year.

On offense, I'm looking forward to Saunders and the other TE, as well as Chris Scott, Keith Williams and Gilbert.

flippy
08-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Chris Scott - everyone's raving about the guy and it's got me intrigued

Doug Legursky - big fan, will he get a legit shot to compete for a starting spot?

Harvey - Got him as my early favorite for ROY because of the impact he's gonna have on ST

Tyler Grisham - I know he probably has no chance in heck given Cotchery signing, but there's something satisfying rooting for such a little guy

Sweed - I suspect he's the one everyone wants to see most. Stud or dud?

Big Play Willie Gay - I have a sneaking suspicion this is gonna be his year.

Colon - Is he back?

Smitty - Is he back?

Sylvester - We need to get this guy on the field. I just have this feeling this guy would rack up more splash plays than anyone on our D if we could just get him on the field.

Sanders - Can we get him back from his foot thingy?

Brown - He's got that explosive/quickness and I want to see how far along he is. Something about this kid make me think he could be our best all around WR if he's got the work ethic and desire to be great.

IronHead Jr - Seems like he's got the work ethic and desire to learn from those in front of him and has the talent to hopefully one day surpass all of them

The Oline in general and what Koogs can do with this unit a year in.

OK, I'm not gonna lie. I want flippin see every one.

Wooooooohooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Let's get this thing rolling. The only thing I don't like is I wish the other team would play their starters for 60 minutes against our 2nd and 3rd stringers. Now that would be enjoyable preseason football.

feltdizz
08-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I think we all want to see if Sweed can get it going... unfortunately I think the pressure may cause another injury.

Also would like to see how the DB's look and how the OL holds up.

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Players to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers' Friday Preseason Opener Against Washington Redskins

by Simonsen on Aug 10, 2011

Stevenson Sylvester, Inside Linebacker, #55, 2nd Year

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/777442/2011_TC_82_0264--nfl_medium_540_360_JPG_medium.jpg

Year after year, people worry about the increasing age of the Steelers defense; yet, year after year, that very same defense ranks among the top in the NFL. And quietly, D!ck LeBeau and his assistant coaches are grooming young and talented replacements for the aging stars. One of them is Stevenson Sylvester, a linebacker out of Utah who was drafted in the fifth round in 2010 as a special teams ace and potential replacement for defensive captain James Farrior once the latter slows down.

During the 2010 training camp, Sylvester impressed the Steelers coaches enough to make the 53 man roster over fellow rookie linebacker Thad Gibson. He showed flashes of his potential during the season, but truly became an eye-opener in this yearís camp where he has starred both in scrimmages and individual drills, such as backs-on-backers. I dubbed him the star of the first camp week in an earlier report, but none of that matters if his skills and playmaking donít translate into game action. If he comes close to his practice performances, he should be a joy to watch against Washington.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hris-scott (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/10/2354394/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-preseason-baron-batch-keenan-lewis-chris-scott)

Rookie LB's Worilds, Gibson, and Sylvester all made the 53 man roster last season coming out of camp, but when we needed to bring up Steve McLendon for reinforcements after multiple DL injuries, it was Gibson that we tried slipping down to the practice squad (only to be snatched up by the Niners).

As for the original question, I'll be keeping a close eye on Chris Scott and Keith Williams on the OL, want to see what Steelhead Heyward looks like in Black & Gold, and will get a first glance at some potential UDFA gems like Mario Harvey and Weslye Saunders.

I won't bother focusing in on the battles between the youngsters in the secondary yet, because Rex Grossman, John Beck, Kellen Clemens, and the mish-mosh Redskin receiving corps is not exactly NFL calibre competition (most of our young CB's probably faced stiffer competition than that in college).

Oviedo
08-12-2011, 04:01 PM
I want to see Chris Scott to see if we can finally get a good RG to play between Pouncey and Colon.

I want to see Gilbert and if he can be a long term solution at OT (I know it won't be this year).

Others:

Brown and Allen @ CB
Dwyer @ RB--reports re he has been turning it on in camp.
Sweed @ WR--playing for his career

D Rock
08-12-2011, 05:49 PM
The guys that interest me are the ones with uncertainty around them.

Limas Sweed....enough said.

Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler, Curtis Brown, and Cortez Allen...will any of them show they can be a playmaker and shut down the opponent?

Can Redman continue to run people over with a larger work load? And will Dwyer and Clay show anything?

Are Keith Williams, Marcus Gilbert, and Chris Scott going to earn themselves some real playing time?

DHSF
08-12-2011, 06:26 PM
The one I was most looking forward to seeing was Baron Batch, but thats not going to happen. I hope he can heal up and be even better next season with the head knowledge he picks up.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Rookie LB's Worilds, Gibson, and Sylvester all made the 53 man roster last season coming out of camp, but when we needed to bring up Steve McLendon for reinforcements after multiple DL injuries, it was Gibson that we tried slipping down to the practice squad (only to be snatched up by the Niners).

Thaddeus Gigson is listed second on the 49ers depth depth at left OLB behind Ahmad Brooks. I know Gibson is not a Steeler anymore and it doesn't really matter what he does anymore, but I won't be able to help myself from watching his progress to see how he looks this preseason.

and oh yeah, Kraig Urbik is listed as the starting RG for the Bills going into their first preseason game... :stirpot

sentinel33
08-12-2011, 07:01 PM
#14.

He, to me, is the guy who could take the offense to that upper level.

He needs to be the best WR on the field tonight.

He needs to be Sweed.

C'mon Limas. Go-Time, Hoss!

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2011, 08:59 PM
#14.

He needs to be Sweed.

Sweed wears #80 now. #14 belongs to UDFA WR Armand Robinson (from Ben's alma mater).

drprwnap
08-12-2011, 09:09 PM
#14.

He needs to be Sweed.

You're dreaming. He couldn't be the best WR on the field tonight unless it was a high school game. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until he proves me wrong:

LIMAS SWEED IS A BUST!

Why do you thind we signed Cotchery?

Discipline of Steel
08-12-2011, 09:41 PM
and oh yeah, Kraig Urbik is listed as the starting RG for the Bills going into their first preseason game... :stirpot

I knew it! thought they gave up on him too early and now his position is a position of need for us...