PDA

View Full Version : Food for Thought - Cleveland Browns

Lonbull
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Food For Thought - here is a relatively brief description of the thread and the idea behind it.

Originally I thought I would offer up some ideas for different meals to go with each Steelers game. Ideally it has some kind of theme to go with the team we're playing against - or sometimes I'll write something for a specific Steeler.

The first year I did this the Steelers returned to the Super Bowl and a victory against the Seahawks....did my recipes have anything to do with that....probalby not - but (for now) I'm not tempting fate either way.

I try to keep these recipes very simple - but I'm also trying to offer up some interesting alternatives to Pizza and Burgers.

Please feel free to include or add recipes onto this thread - it's not intended to be solely "my thing" - however I do strive to add a new recipe for all the Steeler games and the bye week.

For our first pre-season game, we'll kick things off simply with a twist on a Ham & Cheese Sandwich......why Ham you ask....because we're playing the Hogs aren't we --- that and the Red Peppers add a nice color theme to the team we're playing this week.

This first recipe goes out to former Redskin (and Giant, I had forgotten) Ryan Clark. Ryan has been one of those unsung Steelers for the past few seasons, that probably isn't appreciated enough for his contributions.....especially with #43 making all of the incredible plays....hats off to you Mr. Clark.

Ryan's "Red Pepper" Sandwich

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons mayonnaise, or condiment of your choice (optional)
2 slices sourdough bread
2 slices provolone cheese
2 thin slices ham
1/2 roasted red pepper packed in oil, drained and sliced
2 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

Directions:

1.Spread mayonnaise onto one side of each slice of bread. On one slice of bread, place one slice of provolone cheese, then ham, red peppers, and the other slice of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread with the mayonnaise facing the filling. Butter the outsides of the sandwich, and sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan cheese onto the butter.

2.Heat a skillet over medium heat until warm. Fry the sandwich on both sides until golden brown and cheese is melted. If you have an indoor grill, this sandwich may be grilled that way also. Cut the sandwich in half, and serve.

http://elyriact.smugmug.com/685657801_KgcTt-M.jpg

flippy
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm having a Turkey on Ry(an Clark)

ghettoscott
08-11-2011, 07:25 PM
sweet. I frikkin' love the 'Food for Thought' thread. Just gave the ingredients to Mrs. Ghetto.

:Cheers

Jooser
08-12-2011, 07:39 AM
HELL YES! Food for Thought has officially ushered in football season!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

AngryAsian
08-12-2011, 08:55 AM
L.B.'s Shrimp Scampi is still a house favorite here at Casa de Asia... gotta chime in with Joos' sentiments.... Football season is officially here!

Djfan
08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Let the blessed obesity begin!

fordfixer
08-12-2011, 07:10 PM
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Lonbull
08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
I appreciate effort.....I know many Steelers fans just "expect" effort and only appreciate results....but for me Pre-Season is all about those few hard working guys (perhaps short on NFL talent) that are doing everything they can to keep their dream alive....a dream I suspect many of us wish we had enjoyed ourselves.

I was scouting around for a player to feature on this week's FFT - and I wanted someone local to Philly and perhaps a guy that was a still a bit of an unknown...and that's when I came across Temple's QB / TE - Vaughn Charlton.

Here's a guy who was the starting QB in 2009 and switched over to TE in his senior season to give himself a shot at the pros -

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/08/17/nfl-temples-vaughn-charlton-hoping-to-stick-with-steelers/

He also made a video of himself as a long snapper.....I think the kid shows a ton of heart, and work ethic and that's why I'm pulling for him and "hopefully" throwing some good FFT Mojo his way.

Good Luck Vaughn, this one's for you!!!

Philly Sundried and Garlic Dip

Ingredients:

1 (250 g) tub PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Spread
1/2 cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, chopped

Directions:

1.Mix all ingredients (except tomatoes) until well blended.
2. Stir in tomatoes.
3. Chill for 2 hours
4.Serve with Crackers, Tortilla Chips, Pita Bread, Season (pre-packaged) Cocktail Slices and/or cut-up fresh vegetables.

I'm still looking for the best option of what to go with this dip.....a combo of Veggies and Tortilla Chips have been what I've liked most.

L.B.

Lonbull
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Georgia has so many great choices for food ---- but when I came across this recipe I just had to give it a spin. This is just one of those food ideas that never would have occurred to me!

This southern specialty goes out to Keenan Lewis -if the "light" could switch on for this young man and he could start to rise as a possible starter on the Steelers, I think it could make a real difference this year.....and beyond!

Here's hoping you figure it out Keenan -

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0730/nfl_a_lewis_ps_200.jpg

Keenan's Black-Eyed Peas Wrap-up!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
4 (12 inch) flour tortillas

***Salsa / Sour Cream as recommended toppings.

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the black-eyed peas, vegetable stock, jalapeno, garlic, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and continue cooking until heated through. Wrap the mixture in the tortillas to serve.

flippy
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm a little bummed we didn't get a recipe for homemade fig newtons last night. ;)

Lonbull
09-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately I got thrown off my schedule this week and thought I had an extra day to post this recipe....that as it turns out I didn't have.....

This one goes out to Flippy.....Steeler fan extrodinaire.....who has made me feel a little like Shoeless Joe.....as he shows up without a recipe and asks....Say it ain't so Joe....Say it ain't so?!?

Carolina Catfish

Ingredients:

1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds catfish
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup pecans, finely crushed
5 wedges lemon, for garnish
5 sprigs fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).

2.In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, salt and pepper. Dip the catfish in the cornmeal mixture; coating well.

3.Place catfish on a flat, greased baking sheet. Pour the oil over the fish.

4.Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until catfish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with pecans toward the end of the cooking period.

5.Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0809/ronald-mcdonald-mcdonald-clown-pimp-hand-smackdown-demotivational-poster-1222726387.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 04:17 PM
It's preseason for Lonbull too...

Lonbull
09-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I think Ravens - and I think passion, black & blue kind of football - so i'm putting together a Black Bean & Chicken soup - with a hint of Cuban fire to kick-off the new season.

This one goes out to Isaac Redman - who seems to always find a way to hurt the dirty birds even in limited play!!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/peter_king/12/05/monday-morning-qb-week-13/isaac-redman.jpg

Redman's Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:

2 cups dry black beans
2 cups water
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch strips
4 (3.5 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sherry
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

Directions:

1.In a large bowl, combine the beans with the water and let soak overnight. Beans will double in size so be sure to use a large enough bowl. In the morning, drain and rinse the beans.

2.In a large pot over high heat, combine the beans, chicken, sausage, bay leaves, cumin, onion, garlic and sherry. Add enough water to cover all ingredients.

3.Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until beans are tender. Add tomato paste to soup and stir until dissolved.

Slapstick
09-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Not that the recipe was bad, but I wanted to puke after that game...

Lonbull
09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
This recipe really goes out to the entire Steelers Nation - after what was a horrible start to the season, I personally am telling everybody to WAKE UP - and let's get this thing really started !!! The recipe this week is RED-EYE Gravy - with Ham and Biscuits.

I'm dedicating this recipe especially to Aaron Smith.....if he's got something left in the tank I'd like to see it right now! Aaron has been a great Steeler and I imagine he's the kind of blue collar kind of Steeler this meal is meant for.

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2008/09/03/r_27__t400.jpg?

I wanted a recipe with coffee in it - because we're playing Seatlle.

Red-Eye Ham & Biscuits

Ingredients
6 (1/2-pound) country ham steaks (uncooked)
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup very strong coffee (I'll be using Starbucks).
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Buttermilk Biscuits, recipe follows (I'm just going to go with Store bought).

Directions
Heat a large skillet over high heat and saute ham steaks 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and keep warm while you make the sauce.

Add butter and onions to skillet and cook until onions are softened, scraping up any browned bits on pan bottom. Add flour and stir well to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add coffee and chicken stock. Whisk well to combine, then allow sauce to cook until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add green onions and heavy cream and cook 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve over ham steaks with buttermilk biscuits

Buttermilk Biscuits:
2 cups flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and blend thoroughly. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and quickly blend in, making sure to not overwork the dough.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Use a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, press out as many biscuits as possible. Gather up scraps and quickly knead back together, then cut out as many additional biscuits as possible. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Lonbull
09-23-2011, 10:05 PM
This next recipe was entered in a contest in Dallas and won by a woman from Indiana....not only that but it's different, somewhat unique....but still relatively familiar - which I think may best describe the Manning-less Colts.

I take nothing forgranted - the Ravens thumped us pretty good and followed up flat against the Titans, so I'm hoping the Steelers come out on Sunday Night and take care of business early and often!!!

This recipe goes out to Ziggy Hood who steps in as a starter this week - and I'm hoping his "era" is about to begin....

Chicken Ziggy Reuben

Ingredients

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and pressed
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 1/4 cups thousand island salad dressing
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

***I'll end up having slices of Pumpernickel Bread and Spicy Mustard on the side.

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

2.Place chicken in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place sauerkraut over chicken and top with cheese slices. Pour dressing over all and cover dish with aluminum foil.

3.Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (fork can be easily inserted and juices run clear). Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/ziggy-hood-joe-flacco-2011-1-15-20-40-0.jpg

Lonbull
09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
This week my recipe goes out to a Texas great - Casey Hampton.

Casey has certainly stirred some controversy....but when you consider that his biggest issue was coming to camp in shape....that's a relatively small offense.

Big Snack has been a key component to our defense since the day we drafted him (just another great 1st round pick) - and as he returns to Texas - I hope he has a great game for his Texas family and friends!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CiA_E8b-CU0/SnLlDw1TWPI/AAAAAAAAADM/kI1Hh0e6emM/s400/Casey+Hampton.jpg

Big Texas Lime and Cilantro Tacos

Ingredients

1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into thin strips
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped plum tomato
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas

Preparation

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

Sprinkle pork with salt and black pepper. Add oil to pan. Add pork, and sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Remove pork from pan; place in a bowl. Add onion and jalapeño to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add broth; reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomato; simmer 2 minutes.

Return pork and accumulated juices to pan. Stir in cilantro and lime juice; cook 1 minute or until pork is done.

Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/2 cup pork mixture into each tortilla; roll up.

Note: Browning the pork improves its color, and the browned bits enrich the sauce's flavor. Add more jalapeño pepper if you enjoy spicy food.

flippy
09-30-2011, 07:39 PM
When you said in honor of Casey Hampton, I thought you were gonna have us making a buffet.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2011, 07:42 PM
When you said in honor of Casey Hampton, I thought you were gonna have us making a buffet.

Yeah, if it's in honor of Casey, you can't limit the ingredients to one pound of pork and 8 tortillas. That's gotta be multiplied at least ten-fold, I'd think.

Lonbull
10-07-2011, 04:34 PM
This week I'm hoping this recipe will work it's mojo on #94 Lawrence Timmons - he'll be playing a different position and I'm hopeful the Steelers Defense clamps down on Chris Johnson this week!!!!

I know we're banged up - but it's Time for Timmons to become a force in this defense!

This recipe is directly from the Jack Daniels Website (using Jack because it's "Tennessee Whiskey").

Jack You Up Black Bean Dip

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (about 15 ounces each) black beans, drained
¼ cup Jack Daniel's® Tennessee Whiskey
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Hot pepper sauce, to taste

Suggested Toppings: sour cream, chopped avocado, chopped tomato, sliced green onions, jalapeño peppers, chopped cilantro.

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook over medium heat until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in beans, Jack Daniel's®, and cumin. Cook until bubbly and heated through. Mash beans lightly with a wooden spoon or a fork. Stir in lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Serve warm or at room temperature in a serving dish topped with your choice of the suggested toppings. Makes about 2 ½ cups.

Probably serving this with either Tortilla Chips or Add this black bean dip to a cheezy quesadilla!

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Lawrence+Timmons+Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Tennessee+P atfbO-0Egol.jpg

Lonbull
10-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Crab is a staple food item in Jacksonville - A staple for their football team is their running game, a staple for us has always been stopping the running game!!

That's why I'm dedicating this recipe to Chris Hoke....a 10 year career Steeler - when we've called his name he's stepped in and been very serviceable....I have a hunch we're going to really miss this guy when he decides to hang it up. Hats off to you Chris - for all of your hard work!

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2010/09-September/2010_TN_Chris_Hoke--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Crab and Swiss Hokey's

Ingredients:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup cooked crabmeat
1 clove garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
hot pepper sauce to taste
4 thick slices Italian bread, cut in half
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Directions:

1.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

2.Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until fluffy. Mix in crab, garlic, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Spread onto bread slices and top with Swiss cheese. Place on a baking sheet.

3.Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cheese has melted and browned slightly. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve.

Lonbull
10-22-2011, 09:52 PM
A number of teams are named after birds....and when we play the NFC West that means at least 4 times, some kind of bird recipe is necessary (Ravens twice, Cardinals, and Seahawks).

And with Thanksgiving approaching I'm always weary about doing to many Turkey recipes...because in a month we'll all be filling out plates with it.

This week I decided it might be best to stir up some warm comfort food from the Southwest as we take on the Cardinals. Soup is good for the soul and it's good for healing and I can't help but direct my good wishes towards a guy who seems to have a great soul and could use a little healing help.

This one goes out to one of the very best the Steelers have ever had - Troy Polamalu...in fact with the recent stir he caused by calling his wife (I hate you Goodell) after his possible injury ---- this one goes out to his entire family!

http://runningtheraceblog.squarespace.com/storage/TroyPolamalu.jpg?

Troy's Torilla Soup

Ingredients:

1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

Toppings to include - Tortilla Chips, Sour Cream, Hot Sauce and extra Cheese

Directions

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.

You can add any number of items to this basic recipe (Black Beans, Carrots and Jalepenos...the best part of this recipe is you just dump everything in the pot and come back a few hours later for great food!

Go get 'em Troy!!!

L.B.

Lonbull
10-29-2011, 02:40 PM
The Patriots have been such a nemisis to us.....and of course their team brings many painful memories - especially stealing victories away from us in our HOUSE!

The Defense definitely has to do it's best, however I believe if we're going to win it's really in the hands of #7 -

http://www.6magazineonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ben-roethlisberger-getty-images.jpg

My hope is that Ben just keeps it simple, takes what's given to him, drives the field and takes the points. Here's hoping Ben is "on his game" this Sunday!

Big Ben's New England Style Dip

Ingredients

2 cups canned kidney beans, drained
1 small onion, minced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
1 pinch dry mustard
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon white horseradish
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

*Crackers (Saltines)

Directions

Rinse the kidney beans, and set aside to drain.

In a medium bowl, stir together the onion, mayonnaise, relish, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Gently mix in kidney beans until coated with dressing. Refrigerate until serving.

Serve with Crackers.

ColumbusSteelerFan
11-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Lonbull - I just wanted to let you know we tried your dip recipe on Sunday and my wife and I loved it! Our 22 month old daughter did as well. Just the right amount of zip. Thanks for doing this again this year.

Lonbull
11-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Lonbull - I just wanted to let you know we tried your dip recipe on Sunday and my wife and I loved it! Our 22 month old daughter did as well. Just the right amount of zip. Thanks for doing this again this year.

Awesome - that rocks - thanks for posting the photo ColumbusSteelerFan!

L.B.

Lonbull
11-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I was browsing the net for this week's recipe and discovered that Chicken & Waffles are popular in Baltimore......however, fried chicken isn't necessarily easy to make - nor are waffles without a deep fryer and a waffle maker.....but I found this recipe and thought we'd give it a go --- it's a little more complex than many recipes I present but not too bad.

Since it's "Chicken & Waffles" - a dangerous duo --- I'm dedicating this recipe to another potentially dangerous duo of Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.....

http://media.syracuse.com/sports/photo/9198309-large.jpghttp://www.thefastertimes.com/famelists/wp-content/blogs.dir/355/files/top-10-wrs/mike-wallace-catch-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

Against Baltimore we're going to need the young guys to fly around, get open and keep the heat off of Ben Roethlisberger.....If I'm betting on the Steelers this weekend....I'm hopefully betting with Young Money!!!

Young Money Chicken & Waffles (Baltimore Style)

Ingredients

4 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon salt

1 quart peanut oil for frying
8 chicken tenders

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder (can use 1 teaspoon of Prepared Mustard).
12 slices bacon
8 thin slices Cheddar cheese
8 plain frozen waffles

Directions

1.Whisk together the eggs, cream, cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. In a paper bag, shake together the flour, cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon salt.

2.Dip the chicken into the beaten egg mixture, then place into the flour mixture and shake to coat. Place the breaded chicken onto a wire rack; do not stack. Let the chicken rest for 20 minutes to allow the coating to set.

3.Heat about 3 inches of oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In small batches, fry chicken 5 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Remove chicken, and drain on paper towels. Set aside or keep warm in a a low oven.

***Becareful with frying oil!!!!

4.Combine the mayonnaise, maple syrup, horseradish, and mustard powder in a medium bowl. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate.

5.To assemble the sandwiches: Place 4 waffles on a cookie sheet, top each waffle with 2 chicken tenders, 3 slices of bacon, and 2 slices of Cheddar. Broil the sandwich for a 3 to 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Spread 3 tablespoons of the maple mayonnaise on the remaining 4 waffles and place on top of the sandwich.

Lonbull
11-12-2011, 06:40 PM
These past few seasons I've decided to try and stick with interesting pasta dishes when we play the Bengals......Cincinnati being named after an Italian, and also because of their love of pasta with their chili.

As far as dedicating it to a Steeler - I'm going with Brett Keisel ..... since returning from his injury he's looked very good this season....and let's face it with young guys still learning and Aaron Smith clearly finished......Brett was and is going to be a key player down the stretch.

High Five Keisel....keep up the good work!

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brett+Keisel+Cleveland+Browns+v+Pittsburgh+egGmFjm ISQIl.jpg

Alla Checca

5 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced (depends on your tastes)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup olive oil
Marinated Artichoke Hearts
salt to taste (1/2 teaspoon)
dash of black pepper

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound pasta

Directions:

1. Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, Artichoke Hearts (with Marination) and olive oil in a non-metal bowl. Stir in salt. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit at room temperature at least 2 hours, or as long as 10 hours.

2. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain. Pour uncooked sauce over hot pasta, and toss. Add grated Parmesan cheese to your liking.

*** You can add Red Onion or Shrimp or Peppers.....a number of different alternatives.

Lonbull
11-20-2011, 03:19 AM
With the Bye week coming right before Thanksgiving I thought I'd throw out a side dish you may want to consider for Turkey Day.

This recipe goes out to Marcus Gilbert - the rookie who has come in and played very well, all things considered. If things had gone as planned he would probably be backing up Colon and learning from the sidelines....instead he's been thrown into the fire and I think he's done a great job of holding his own!

Keep up the good work Marcus!

Gilbert's Sneaky Sweet Potatos

Ingredients{

6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
(or If you prefer to use canned sweet potatoes, it takes three (18 ounce) cans)

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Arrange sweet potatoes in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

3.Combine sugar, butter, bourbon and vanilla extract in a large saucepan and heat to a boil. As soon as the sauce comes to a boil pour it over the sweet potatoes.

4.Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/persons/player-cards/2011_Marcus_Gilbert.jpg

Lonbull
11-26-2011, 11:50 PM
First of all....who's tired of Turkey?

I think the most important thing we can ask of the Steelers this week is for them not give up any big plays against a struggling Cheifs team - problem is there are aren't many "starters" currently playing right now - so let's hope the squad we put out there can play just as fierce.

This week I'm dedicating the recipe to Big Play Willie Gay. He's probably playing his best football right now - and even if he isn't a regular starter I'm hopeful he can still deliever some big hits and the occasional turnovers they we so desperately need right now.

This one's for you Big Play!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/440/slideshow_44077/display_image.jpg?

BBQ Pizza

Ingredients

1 package pizza dough
1 (18 ounce) container barbequed pulled pork
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dill pickle slices
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2. Place pizza bread on prepared pan. Top the dough with the barbecued pork. Sprinkle with the red onions, and layer on the dill pickle slices. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.

3.Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden and cheese is melted - check directions on Pizza Dough for approximate time.

Lonbull
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
If you follow the thread you know I like attempting a new pasta dish when we play Cincinnati...due to their Skyline Chili. This week I'm breaking out a classic recipe for a truly classic Steeler -

Remember when this guy was just a rookie?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/393/slideshow_39366/display_image.jpg?

Personally I think Hines still has a few years left in him - but I'm just not sure how many more games he has as a Steeler. Hines Ward, in my opinion, has been instrumental - in both giving us Championship caliber teams in the past - and helping develop our youth for the future. Not only that but he changed how WR's viewed their blocking assignments by setting the standard much higher than it had ever been.

This one is definitely for you Hines - when they talk about players who gave their all on the field - your name is definitely going to ring out.

The No. 86 Pasta

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) package dry fettuccini noodles
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined - (using Large Shrimp is easier0
6 green onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup brandy
2 large tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

2.Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute shrimp until pink. Stir in green onions, garlic and brandy. Carefully ignite brandy with a match, or the gas flame. Cook for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in wine and butter, and season with basil, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in Parmesan. Toss with pasta until evenly coated.

Lonbull
12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Tonight's recipe goes out to Doug Legursky - whose work ethic has once again made him an intrical part of the Steelers Offensive Line. UDFA's seem to always play an important part of the Steelers Organization and Legursky is yet another find.

Keep bringing that lunch pail attitude Legs!

http://www.donnan.com/images/TC09_Doug-Legursky.jpg

Legursky Sauerkraut Balls

Ingredients

1 (1 pound) package Bob Evans® Original Recipe Sausage Roll
2 cups sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
Spicy brown mustard (optional)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
10 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine sausage and sauerkraut in large bowl; form mixture into approximately 40 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels; cool slightly.

2.Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F. To prepare dough, combine cheese, flour, butter, mustard and caraway seeds, if desired; mix well. Press 2 tsp. of dough firmly around each sausage ball. (Dough handles easiest when warm.) Bake on ungreased baking sheet 15 minutes or until light golden. Serve hot with spicy brown mustard for dipping, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.