PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ink Cotchery

steelerkeylargo
08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
today! :HeadBanger

phillyesq
08-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I supported the move earlier. I'm less enthused after hearing that the Ravens passed on him, given the pathetic state of their WRs. That said, I read where the Steelers told him he'd be the #5 WR. If he's healthy, this is a great addition of veteran depth.

If not healthy, he signed a deal to be a #5 WR. I'd imagine that means the money is minimal and that he can be released easily if need be.

Seems like a good move with very little downside.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
You can kiss Limas goodbye.

Slapstick
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I nominate you for that duty.

MaxAMillion
08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Thank God, now I don't have to worry (or hear) about Sweed anymore. The Steelers are signing a legitimate NFL receiver instead of a wannabe who can't stay healthy.

I am not exactly sold on Sanders being healthy either. If he ends up having ongoing side effects from surgery, the Steelers need someone with NFL experience to plug in and play. I would rather have Plax, but I can settle for Cotchery.

Snatch98
08-11-2011, 03:03 PM

I'm tired of reading the above. We won't know anything about anyone until these preseason games hit. Limas Sweed has a lot to prove, as do the other guys fighting for spots. I'd wager we see something from Sweed soon. Cotchery isn't even 100% healthy right now.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
I am not exactly sold on Sanders being healthy either.

and judging by this signing I'll bet the Steelers aren't either...

RuthlessBurgher
08-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Awesome. Dude was a starter for 4 years. Here is his lines for those seasons:

2009 57 catches for 821 yards and 3 TD's

2008 71 catches for 858 yards and 5 TD's

2007 82 catches for 1,130 yards and 2 TD's

2006 82 catches for 961 yards and 6 TD's

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Also consider that last year, his worst season of the last 5 by far (roughly half the production he had in each of the 4 years prior) when he was relegated to a backup behind Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards, he had:

41 catches for 433 yards and 2 TD's.

Compare that to the combined total for Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown last year:

44 catches for 543 yards and 2 TD's.

Everyone on this board RAVES about Sanders and Brown as rookies. Well, in a down year for him, Cotchery nearly matched their combined total stats.

Not that I'm badmouthing Sanders and Brown here...they should both have great futures in black and gold...but it is comforting to have another veteran option (and not an over-the-hill veteran either...Jerricho is 29).

It's hard to believe that the Jets would rather have a 33 year old Burress (who hasn't been on the field in 2 years) and a 37 year old Derrick Mason, over a guy like Cotchery, who is in the prime of his career.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

I'm tired of reading the above. We won't know anything about anyone until these preseason games hit. Limas Sweed has a lot to prove, as do the other guys fighting for spots. I'd wager we see something from Sweed soon. Cotchery isn't even 100% healthy right now.

If Limas had shown enough of what the Steelers wanted to see, they would not have gone after Cotchery. Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, Grisham and Battle are all ahead of Sweed; Limas is now auditioning for a spot with another team.

Too late...you already got it... :lol:

sentinel33
08-11-2011, 03:36 PM
That's a nice addition to this team.

ward, wallace, brown, sanders, cotchery and sweed.

Side note-How didn't the ravens pick him up?
That's just crazy

I just don't understand what some of the teams in our division are doing this season.

The bengals with Palmer

The ravens and the WR "makeover"

IDGI...

Steelgal
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I supported the move earlier. I'm less enthused after hearing that the Ravens passed on him, given the pathetic state of their WRs. That said, I read where the Steelers told him he'd be the #5 WR. If he's healthy, this is a great addition of veteran depth.

If not healthy, he signed a deal to be a #5 WR. I'd imagine that means the money is minimal and that he can be released easily if need be.

Seems like a good move with very little downside.

True, but look at their off-season thus far. they cut some key players who went elsewhere. Granted they were older, but still contributed alot last year. They also have yet to sign Ngata to a long-term deal, he's currently franchised. They have even more issues on their Oline, than the Steelers do and have yet to address it other than re-signing Yanda. they let Wilson leave via free agency and to me he was their best CB. Not sure if Ozzie is losing his touch or what they're doing, but their fans are VERY frustrated with their off-season and I have to agree. They're have been several good WRs and they didn't appear to make a run at any of them.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 03:40 PM
It's hard to believe that the Jets would rather have a 33 year old Burress (who hasn't been on the field in 2 years) and a 37 year old Derrick Mason, over a guy like Cotchery, who is in the prime of his career.

maybe it's Cotchery's off-season back surgery that scared the Jets off...

Snatch98
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM

If Limas had shown enough of what the Steelers wanted to see, they would not have gone after Cotchery. Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery and Grisham are all ahead of Sweed; Limas is now auditioning for a spot with another team.

Too late...you already got it... :lol:

They brought in Cotchery because of the uncertainty of Sanders and the health of Ward in my opinion. I also don't think their ready to have to rely 100% on Brown or Sanders. They brought in a Savvy veteran to eliminate some of the uncertainty with the injured masses. The Cotchery signing in my opinion hurts Grisham more than it hurts Sweed.

Sugar
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Does he have to pass a physical to secure the deal? That's normally a condition.

Shawn
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Thank God, now I don't have to worry (or hear) about Sweed anymore. The Steelers are signing a legitimate NFL receiver instead of a wannabe who can't stay healthy.

I am not exactly sold on Sanders being healthy either. If he ends up having ongoing side effects from surgery, the Steelers need someone with NFL experience to plug in and play. I would rather have Plax, but I can settle for Cotchery.

I'm not sure why you are being reactionary to this news. The signing of Cotchery is an insurance policy...nothing more...nothing less. If Sweed shows up and is the real deal...he will stay. If not...he would have went Cotchery or no Cotchery.

flippy
08-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I like it. Just added another solid player to the roster.

This is a great pick up a la Moore a few years back. He'll make a big difference on 3rd downs for sure.

feltdizz
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM

I'm not sure why you are being reactionary to this news. The signing of Cotchery is an insurance policy...nothing more...nothing less. If Sweed shows up and is the real deal...he will stay. If not...he would have went Cotchery or no Cotchery.

what is considered a real deal?

Ghost
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Making the assumption he has passed the physical and the Steelers signed him with the intention of being available to play immediately (not Friday night but at practice come Sunday).

I think Battle is the guy who should be most worried about being replaced. Could be some of the young guns are being looked at to provide ST play and Cotchery provides another veteran presence. Agree with Flippy - could be a nice 3rd down pick up!

AkronSteel
08-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Making the assumption he has passed the physical and the Steelers signed him with the intention of being available to play immediately (not Friday night but at practice come Sunday).

I think Battle is the guy who should be most worried about being replaced. Could be some of the young guns are being looked at to provide ST play and Cotchery provides another veteran presence. Agree with Flippy - could be a nice 3rd down pick up!

Battle isn't much of a contributor on the offensive side of the ball, but he is invaluable on special teams. All great teams need guys who don't always fit into their assigned positions. He contributed a lot last year in that category and I believe that will make his job this year secure. He is really just a WR by name alone!!! I don't see him being bumped off the team for a guy like Grisham or Sweed because they will not be able to contribute as well on special teams!! The 6th WR won't see the field that often anyways!!!

AkronSteel
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
I do like the Cotchery signing though!! He will add a solid veteran to the team and will probably push for playing time if Sanders is not healthy to start the year. He is a solid WR who will help make this offense better. His signing reminds me a lot of Terrance Mathis....solid player who will contribute and lay it all on the line!!! Jerricho will make this roster better for sure.....now find a stinkin' OFFENSIVE TACKLE!!!!

steelblood
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
325 catches and 18 total touchdowns. That seems like a really low TD total. Is it?

Also, I hope he runs well on mud.

Dee Dub
08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I think this is a move that has made the Steelers better. No one can deny that. How is this not a good thing? He is a very dependable receiver who had back to back 80 plus reception seasons in 06 and 07 then followed that up with 71 in 08. Is he going to be a go-to number one guy? No he wontbut he adds to a solid receiving core.

I applaud this move. :Clap

flippy
08-11-2011, 05:18 PM
he is invaluable on special teams

Completely off topic, but does anyone else cringe when they read the word invaluable. It just seems like a word that should mean the opposite of what it means.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I think this is a move that has made the Steelers better.

:Agree

Steelers Add Veteran Wide Receiver Jerricho Cotchery

by Michael Bean on Aug 11

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1730502/53801_Jets_Cotchery_Out_Football.jpg

When Jerricho Cotchery left the Pittsburgh Steelers facilities this past weekend without a contract, most of us naturally assumed that the six-time Super Bowl champs were not interested in signing the veteran free agent wide receiver. Not so fast. On Thursday morning, the Steelers signed the 28-year old Cotchery to a one-year deal.

I like the move by Kevin Colbert and the Steelers for several reasons. First of all, Cotchery can play. In 2010, the former fourth round draft pick hauled in 41 passes for 433 yards and 2 TDs. Not bad considering he started just five games and was on the same WR corps as Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. Cotchery mat lack the explosiveness or top-end speed to kill you, but he's savvy both in the middle of the field and on the perimeter. For a quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger who is not shy about trying to extend plays, Cotchery's experience should allow him to find soft spots in coverage after plays have broken down.

The second reason the signing makes sense is the uncertainty surrounding Emmanuel Sanders' injured foot. Yes Sanders is scheduled to return to practice sooner rather than later, but foot injuries have a way of lingering for unexpectedly long periods of time. There's also the issue of whether Sanders will be favoring his foot in any way or if he'll be a step slower, more hesitant, etc etc.

Even if Sanders does make a full return to contribute in 2010, the Steelers still can benefit from Cotchery's presence over the course of a long season. Even a 25-35 catch season would be significant, which is roughly what Antwaan Randle El chipped in a year ago.

For those who wonder if this means the end of the road for Limas Sweed? I don't think so. Not yet at least. Sweed will still have the rest of camp and the preseason to prove he's worthy of another shot before his fate is sealed. The Steelers have already invested too much in the former second rounder to let him go too early unless they're absolutely forced to. There is far less invested in Cotchery at this point, and I'd imagine that the Steelers will take a wait-and-see approach to Sanders and how he's feeling physically later this month before making any sort of final determinations about who to go to battle with at WR in 2011.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

steelerkeylargo
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I like Cotchery as a player. I just wish we had of signed a player who will appear on the 2 deep!!!! :2c

williar
08-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Great Move! You can never have enough playmakers, I don't care what the circumstances are. Props to the FO for being proactive. Sanders has already proving himself to be injury prone.

Oviedo
08-11-2011, 06:43 PM
That's a nice addition to this team.

ward, wallace, brown, sanders, cotchery and sweed.

Side note-How didn't the ravens pick him up?
That's just crazy

I just don't understand what some of the teams in our division are doing this season.

The bengals with Palmer

The ravens and the WR "makeover"

IDGI...

Maybe he just picked the Steelers over the Ravens. Ben throwing to you or Flacco...which would you pick????

RuthlessBurgher
08-11-2011, 06:47 PM
325 catches and 18 total touchdowns. That seems like a really low TD total. Is it?

Also, I hope he runs well on mud.

He's a "possession" receiver. A "move the chains" type of guy. A "find the soft spot in the zone" player. He's not a "big play" weapon. Which is fine.

chiken
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
i like the move for another reason - it will continue lighting that fire under Brown and Sanders and Wallace for that matter. They are so buddy buddy now, which is awesome - but adding a veteran receiver to the mix who will threaten minutes will do the "young money crew" some good. I love those guys but this is a business - you can be replaced.. No-one cares about fun nicknames when you are running the wrong way during last minute drills and losing super bowls.

They pushed one another real hard last year when they were competing for time - this to me is just a reminder.

SidSmythe
08-11-2011, 09:43 PM
How can people NOT be excited about the POTENTIAL of this pickup???

Dude put up some great numbers until he had SANCHEZ throwing the ball his way. He's 29 and if he recovers from back surgery, he could be a great target for BEN

Flasteel
08-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Dude put up some great numbers until he had SANCHEZ throwing the ball his way. He's 29 and if he recovers from back surgery, he could be a great target for BEN

I'm not excited at all. I was shocked to find out he signed to compete for the number 5 spot, and if that's the case then I guess I'm somewhat cool with it. The signing no-doubt upgrades the strength of our receiving corps and makes this team a little better.

My main concern was that he would be signed to the kind of money that would almost guarantee his spot as the 3rd receiver and thus hinder the development of both Sanders and Brown. At the very least, I thought it would spell doom for Limas Sweed's chances of making this team and I'm rooting for Sweed big-time.

The move makes complete sense if the team is worried about Sanders' foot injury. There's no way you can count on Sweed stepping up and you probably don't want to be stuck with AB as your only decent option in the slot...no matter how good his promise.

Hopefully Sanders will be okay and I'm still rooting for Sweed to bring his size, leaping ability, and separation to this team.

Slapstick
08-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Cotchery was the real deal at NC State...he also performed well for the Jets...

The Steelers like to have a productive veteran WR...Terence Mathis, Courtney Hawkins, Randle El...

Snatch98
08-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I love the signing if he's healthy. I also don't think he effects any of the younger guys negatively. He'll step in and be another veteran presence along with Ward. My take is if Ward for some reason plays this season or one more and hangs em up and Cotchery excels with the team we'll ink him again and have a Wallace, Cotchery, Brown, Sanders, Sweed line up. As it stands right now I believe that Sweed proves himself obviously and Battle is let go. I don't believe for a second that Grisham despite his supposedly favorable camp hangs on. He's excelling because other guys are injured and sure in most cases that's just fine and dandy but with Sanders laid up, Ward laid up at one point and the other guys nursing injuries who exactly IS going to stand up? He's sticking out because he's one of the few healthy guys.

Our final receiver group will be Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery and Sweed.

Chadman
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cotchery steals a few of Hines' catches this year as well- in fact, if he's relatively successful doing that, I wonder if he might be Ward's replacement as the possession WR in the future as Wallace, Sanders & Brown are the speed guys.

Always liked Cotchery.

Snatch98
08-12-2011, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cotchery steals a few of Hines' catches this year as well- in fact, if he's relatively successful doing that, I wonder if he might be Ward's replacement as the possession WR in the future as Wallace, Sanders & Brown are the speed guys.

Always liked Cotchery.

Basically what I said above and I completely agree. He'll eventually slide in where Ward is now if he's successful this year. I too have always liked Cotchery.

Starlifter
08-12-2011, 12:14 AM
our WR corps is very young. no one outside of Hines is a veteran yet. he will be good for the team, good for the young guys and good for ben. a one year deal with very little downside and tremendous upside. very happy with the deal.

fordfixer
08-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Steelers Notebook: Veteran WR Cotchery plugs key slot
Friday, August 12, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11224/1166860-66.stm

Former New York Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery left Saint Vincent College Monday without signing a contract with the Steelers.

He wanted to see if he could find a better situation than the Steelers, who wanted him to be the fifth receiver. But, after visiting Baltimore, Cotchery changed his mind and signed a multiyear contract Thursday with the Steelers.

He will not be with the team for the preseason opener tonight against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md., and is not expected to join them until the Steelers return to training camp Sunday.

The Steelers were seeking a veteran for the slot, and Cotchery, who played all eight of his NFL seasons with the New York Jets, fits the bill. At 6 feet, 203 pounds, he brings size and toughness.

He had 358 catches, 4,514 yards and 18 touchdowns in his career with the Jets. In the AFC divisional playoff game last season at Heinz Field, Cotchery had five catches for 33 yards and a 4-yard touchdown against the Steelers.

Cotchery might not be the only player to return after visiting the Steelers at camp. They could sign former Cincinnati Bengals tight end Reggie Kelly, who was at camp Monday. Neither side has ruled out a reconciliation.
Baron Batch out for year

The season-ending injury to rookie running back Baron Batch, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while making a cut in practice Wednesday, does little to affect the team's plans.

Batch, a seventh-round pick from Texas Tech, was going to be the fourth running back and back up Mewelde Moore in third-down situations.

The Steelers will not seek another running back to replace Batch, one of the standouts at training camp. Instead, preseason performances will determine the fourth running back -- probably Jonathan Dwyer or maybe rookie free-agent John Clay.

Batch had an MRI Thursday and likely will wait for the swelling to subside before he has surgery. He was injured on the artificial-turf field at Saint Vincent College, which the Steelers have been using because the grass fields have been saturated by rain.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11224/11 ... z1UnPQoTnm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11224/1166860-66.stm#ixzz1UnPQoTnm)

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
He wanted to see if he could find a better situation than the Steelers, who wanted him to be the fifth receiver. But, after visiting Baltimore, Cotchery changed his mind and signed a multiyear contract Thursday with the Steelers.

I thought it was just a one year deal? :?

feltdizz
08-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Oviedo
08-12-2011, 09:50 AM

:Agree :Agree This is a very good insurance move in case Hines would go down during the year for a period of time. JC has a way of finding open spaces and making critical catches at the right time.

This is actually a big loss for the Jets because he was a security blanket for Sanchez.

IMO--Other than finding a good OT, our front office has played the chaos of this off season superbly!!!!

Notleadpoisoned
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
This signing kind of reminds me of the Cedrick Wilson pickup a few years ago.

Sugar
08-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Somewhat, but Cotchery is a better player- at least if he's healthy.

Oviedo
08-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Except that Cotchery is significantly better than Wilson. Cotchery isn't a whiner or complainer. Cotchery has a solid resume based on performance. Other than that it is almost exactly the same.

AkronSteel
08-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Updated: August 14, 2011, 2:45 PM ET
Jerricho Cotchery: 'Time to move on'

By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

Former New York Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, commenting for the first time since his surprising release last week, confirmed Sunday that he wanted out because he didn't see himself in the team's plans.

"It was time for a change, time for a change of scenery for myself and the organization as well," Cotchery told the Pittsburgh media. "It was time to move on. Future-wise, I didn't really see myself fitting in.

"People on the outside looking in might say, 'Well, you been there that long, you're part of the future,' but I didn't really see it that way. I think it would have been beneficial for both sides to move on."

Cotchery, 29, was released Aug. 4 after seven seasons with the Jets, and eventually landed with the Steelers. Initially, there was speculation that the Jets cut ties with him because they were pursuing former Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason, whom they eventually signed. But coach Rex Ryan claimed that Cotchery had requested to be traded or released.

Once the Jets signed Plaxico Burress, the Jets granted Cotchery's agent permission to seek a trade. There were no takers, in part, because of his surgically repaired back. Cotchery underwent surgery in February to repair a herniated disc, and still hadn't been cleared to practice.

Cotchery, a former 1,000-yard receiver, apparently was unhappy with his role as the No. 3 receiver, behind Burress and Santonio Holmes. He felt a backup role again would hinder his ability to land a contract extension; he was due to make $1.8 million this season from the Jets.

Ryan said Cotchery was in the team's plans and would've made the roster.

There wasn't a big market for Cotchery, who settled for a backup role with the Steelers. He will be the third receiver, behind Hines Ward and Mike Wallace. He could drop to fourth when Emmanuel Sanders returns from a foot injury.

Seems to me that Jerricho has his sights set a lot higher than being the 5th receiver!! I have a feeling that this year's WR corp will be one of the best in Steeler history!!! Very similar to the group they had in 95!! Can't wait to see Ben use these assets to his advantage!!!

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Steelers ability to contend for Super Bowl every year was main selling point to Cotchery

Sun, Aug 14th, 2011
By Dale Grdnic

LATROBE, Pa. -- Jerricho Cotchery said he knew that he wanted to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers after a lengthy visit last week, but he still left their training camp at Saint Vincent College and took a trip to see the Baltimore Ravens.

That was just for show, the veteran wideout noted, to fulfill a business obligation. But Cotchery was certain that he belonged with the Steelers and eventually signed a one-year contract.

"I was talking with Ryan Clark earlier and told him that I would watch the interviews and saw how everybody said they do things a certain way over here,'' Cotchery said. "I didn't know what they were talking about, but now I know. It's a great atmosphere. Everyone's tight.

"It's easy to work here, so I'm glad to be here. After my visit here, I really believed this was the place for me. This was the type of atmosphere that I needed to be in now.

Business-wise, you still have to take the visit (to Baltimore), but all along I believed this was the place for me.''

Conversely, Cotchery believed his time was up with the New York Jets. He wasn't happy being the third option for quarterback Mark Sanchez, but that might be all he gets with the Steelers. Still, Cotchery is glad to have moved on.

"Even though I was there a long time, I really didn't foresee myself fitting into their future,'' Cotchery said. "It was beneficial for both sides for that to happen. And the Steelers are always a contender here, so I could see myself coming in here and helping them win another Super Bowl.

"And that's what it's all about. So, I want to win right now, and the Steelers always have a chance. So, that's the main reason I signed with the Steelers. I wanted to play for a Super Bowl contender, and I'm looking forward to being in the running every year. This is a great atmosphere, and I'm happy to be here.''

With veteran Hines Ward, third-year wideout Mike Wallace and second-year pros Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, the Steelers appear to have their top four set, barring an injury. How well Cotchery fits in remains to be seen.

"I didn't know him before, but he seems like a good guy,'' Wallace said. "So, we welcome him with open arms. I think he can help us a lot, because he's a veteran guy like Hines and Arnaz (Battle). And anytime you can bring in a guy with that much experience, he can only help you out.

"He's been a good receiver in this league, and hopefully he can bring some of those good times over here with us. I don't know if he's only going to be in the slot, because I think you can put him anywhere. He's a versatile guy, so I think he can play anywhere. He'll fit in just fine.''

Wallace seemed to embrace the competition aspect with one more veteran receiver in the mix, noting that "there will never be a drop-off in talent.'' Sanders readily agreed with that assessment.

"It does a lot to have him in here to add depth to the wide receiver position,'' Sanders said. "The way (receivers) coach (Scottie) Montgomery looks at it, this keeps the wide receiver room hot. You want that competition in the room, and we're really going to have it now. (And) you want to be deep at wide receiver.

"Somebody could get hurt. And then you want the next guy to step in and be ready to play with no drop-off in play. That's what we have here. If Hines goes down, you want someone to step in to fill that void and do a very good job at a Hall-of-Fame type level.

And that's the way it's going to be for us this year.

"I remember Jerricho from the Jets, and he's a great player,'' Sanders added. "He made some big catches against us in the AFC championship (including a touchdown), so I'm sure he'll raise the level of competition. But having him here won't motivate me. I motivate myself to get ready for practice and games.''

Toward the end of last week, Sanders was hopeful to return to practice today. Now, he's not sure. Originally, he had another week to heal his sore left foot, and he is still on schedule for that timetable.

"It's still day-by-day, and there really is no time limit on it,'' Sanders said. "So, I'm taking it like that. I'd like to be out there in practice, but we'll see what happens. We can't base it off my gut feeling, but an X-ray.

"Everybody wants to put a time-limit on it, but I can't. I'm just going to take it day-by-day, and when the doctor says I'm ready then I'll be ready. But I feel pretty good right now, and hopefully I be ready soon. I just don't want to rush it. If I go out and re-injure it, this could linger. It could last through the season.

"And I don't want that,'' Sanders added. "So, I'm going to take it day-by-day and we'll see what happens. The X-rays are showing that the bone is starting to fill in, so it's healing on schedule. (And) we're going to try to make it to the last preseason game, but we'll see what happens.''

Note: To make room on the active roster for Cotchery, who will wear No. 82, the Steelers have placed defensive end Sunny Harris on their Waived/Injured List. Harris injured his right foot in the preseason opener Friday night.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ery/41561/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/steelers-ability-to-contend-for-super-bowl-was-main-selling-point-to-cotchery/41561/)

RuthlessBurgher
08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Seems to me that Jerricho has his sights set a lot higher than being the 5th receiver!! I have a feeling that this year's WR corp will be one of the best in Steeler history!!! Very similar to the group they had in 95!! Can't wait to see Ben use these assets to his advantage!!!

He could eventually fit as a replacement for Hines Ward in the future. If Hines doesn't play beyond this season, there wasn't anyone on the roster with his particular skillset until we signed Jerricho. Wallace is a completely different animal as a burner, and Sanders/Brown are both closer to Santonio in style than Hines (quick guys with tremendous run-after-catch ability). Cotchery seems to fit more in the Ward role (a possession guy that is good at finding holes in a zone and moving the chains).

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2011, 12:03 AM
someone's gotta tell Cotchery it's the Black & Gold... :tt2

Surgery for Taylor; Cotchery practices

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

It was back to work for the Steelers on Sunday afternoon, but there were several players noticeably absent from practice, including cornerback Ike Taylor.

Taylor was sporting a cast on his broken left thumb suffered early on against the Redskins on Friday night.

Ike is going to get his thumb fixed on Tuesday, said Coach Mike Tomlin. Hes going to have surgery so well get him back out here quickly, Im sure. Im sure hell be stabilized in some form or fashion after the surgery is complete.

Neither Tomlin nor Taylor offered a timetable on the injury, waiting to see how surgery goes, but Taylor is confident they will find a way for him to play with the injury.

Its all good. I dont think you ever play 100 percent during the season, said Taylor. We are going to figure something out. I am sure they have something back there brewing.

Taylor believes he suffered the injury on the second play of the game, but doesnt recall what exactly happened.

You feel pain but you dont think about it when you are on the field, said Taylor. I told the doctor to look at it. He was like, yeah get out of there.

It was just a freak accident. I cant explain it. I dont know how I did it. You dont think about pain during the game.

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery made his debut at Steelers practice on Sunday afternoon and immediately felt comfortable in his new surroundings.

Its a fresh start. Its a great atmosphere, said Cotchery. I am happy to be here. Everyone is tight. Everyone is close here. Its easy to work in that atmosphere. You are going to get better.

I was talking to Ryan Clark earlier and I was telling him I used to watch the (Steelers) interviews and I would hear guys talk about we do things a certain way over here. I wondered what they were talking about. I came here on my visit and I got it.

These guys in the locker room, I get it. I see what everyone is talking about. Its such a well-respected organization and you get it as soon as you walk through the door.

Cotchery immediately got into the flow of things with the ball thrown his way several times during practice.

He moved around well, said Tomlin. Of course weve been microwaving him, if you will, from an assignment standpoint. Hes a veteran guy and has eight years in the league. So we expect him to catch up pretty quickly.

Cotchery was one of a handful of players who spent time after practice getting a little extra work in.

You are a rookie all over again, said Cotchery of learning things. You dont go out and play like a rookie, but you are learning new information, you are in a new environment and you have to respond well to it. You have to stay in the playbook. I am just trying to ask everybody questions and get it on the fly and make plays.

I was having a blast. The whole playbook is being thrown at me right now but that is good. I need to be overloaded with information so I can go out and play. It was good to be on the field with these guys. I understand what is going on here. Its something special so I am glad to be a part of it.

Cotchery was brought in to add experience to a position where Hines Wardand third-year receiver Mike Wallace are joined by second-year players Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

He adds depth. He is a great wide out, said Ward. He has been making plays every since he has been in the league. We really dont have a lot of experience. Guys are having a good camp; we are just adding that extra veteran guy to be there. He definitely adds strength.

Cotchery asked to be released from the Jets this year, wanting a new start and feeling like it was time to move on. He first visited with the Steelers, then the Baltimore Ravens, before signing with the Steelers.

I am here to help this team get to the Super Bowl and win it. The Steelers are contending every year. I want to come in here and make some plays and win the Super Bowl.

I came to play for a Super Bowl contender. But the atmosphere, the way they handle their guys here. Its something I need at this time. This is the best for me to thrive in as a person and player.

Cotchery said he is looking forward to playing with Ben Roethlisberger and the rest of his new teammates and was excited about day one.

I didnt sleep much last night, said Cotchery. I was looking forward to putting on the black and yellow. Its an exciting time for me.

Things got a little feisty in practice with offensive tackle Jonathan Scott and defensive end Cameron Heyward mixing things up, getting into a little scuffle at the end of play that teammates had to break-up.

Its part of the game, said Heyward. We are going to battle out here. Sometimes we are going to have guys getting after each other. Its all in fun. We still love each other off the field.

Tomlin on injuries: We have a number of guys that are in the process of working themselves into participation in different forms and fashions. A lot of guys participating in individuals: Chris Kemoeatu, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown and others. Well just continue to march those guys back. Some of the new injuries: Shaun Suisham had an illness; Brett Keiselsustained an ankle injury in the game; Arnaz Battles knee is swollen; Aaron Smiths knee is swollen as well. Baron Batch is scheduled to get his surgery on Wednesday. Other than those things, were moving forward.

The Steelers will hold two more open practices before breaking camp. They will have practice at St. Vincent College on Monday, Aug. 15 and Tuesday, Aug. 16 with both practices starting at 2:55 p.m.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... a5b7e5e782 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Surgery-for-Taylor-Cotchery-practices/a8469a2b-9fdb-453f-a55a-2aa5b7e5e782)

RuthlessBurgher
08-15-2011, 12:18 AM
someone's gotta tell Cotchery it's the Black & Gold... :tt2

I blame that Khalifa bastage...I hate that #&@%ing song.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Cotchery settles in at camp

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 15, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-14/CotcheryCatch-a.jpg

The way Jerricho Cotchery tells it, he should have no trouble meshing with teammates who share a blue-collar sensibility.

"My game is not pretty; it's not cute. My game is to get the job done," Cotchery, the Steelers' latest addition, said Sunday at St. Vincent College. "Whatever I have to do to help this team win the Super Bowl, I'm all for it."

It is fitting that Cotchery plans to take a Hines Ward approach at his second NFL stop. The Steelers signed Cotchery to a one-year contract to provide experience at wide receiver along with Ward, their most tenured player.

Cotchery, who was released by the New York Jets earlier this month, is also something of an insurance policy.

The Steelers shut down Emmanuel Sanders early in training camp so he could fully from offseason surgery on his left foot. Following a recent minor surgical procedure done to expedite the healing process, Sanders had said he hoped to play in the Steelers' final two preseason games.

Yesterday, the second-year receiver said he hopes to return for the Steelers' preseason finale Sept. 1 in Carolina.

"The worst thing I can do in this situation is go and rush it and re-break my foot, and then it being a lingering injury during the season," said Sanders, who had surgery during the offseason to correct a stress fracture in his left foot. "The X-rays are showing that the bone is starting to fill in, so I can't wish for anything better."

Cotchery, who is heading into his eighth NFL season, said pretty much the same thing about the Steelers.

The 6-foot, 203-pounder visited St. Vincent last Sunday. By the time he left, Cotchery knew he wanted to join the Steelers even though he is assured of nothing beyond a spot in the wide receivers rotation.

Cotchery said he visited the Ravens only as a formality, and he arrived in Latrobe on Saturday after agreeing to terms with the Steelers last Thursday.

"I was talking to (free safety) Ryan Clark how I used to watch the interviews and I used to hear guys talk about, 'We do things a certain way over here.' And I always wondered what they were talking about," Cotchery said before his first practice with the Steelers. "And I came here on my visit, and I got it. Everyone's close here, and it's easy to work in and you're going to get better."

Cotchery has 353 career receptions -- 210 more than Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Sanders combined. That total doesn't include the 4-yard touchdown catch Cotchery made against the Steelers in last season's AFC Championship Game.

His signing has been heartily endorsed by the Steelers' wide receivers, even though it may create a bit of a logjam when everyone is healthy.

"The more competition, the better," Wallace said. "He's a versatile guy; I think you can put him anywhere."

Cotchery had surgery during the offseason to correct a herniated disc. He said he has made a full recovery and that he's been running at full speed since last month.

Cotchery said the opportunity to play for a perennial Super Bowl contender drew him to the Steelers. He had been with a team that is on the cusp of reaching the Super Bowl, but Cotchery requested his release after the Jets signed Plaxico Burress.

"Future-wise, I didn't really see myself fitting in (with the Jets)," Cotchery said.

The Steelers had also courted Burress, and Cotchery is hoping to show them that he is anything but a consolation prize after they couldn't land him.

"This atmosphere is what I need right now," Cotchery said. "Nothing is given to you over here. You've got to come in, work your tail off and earn your stripes."

Inside the ropes

Beleaguered lineman Tony Hills will start at right guard Thursday when the Steelers play Philadelphia at Heinz Field. Hills (6-foot-5, 305 pounds) practiced with the first team at right guard Sunday and said afterward that he will start against the Eagles. "I am open to the challenge," Hills said. "It's a great opportunity and a great challenge against a good pass-rush and penetrating team." Hills, the Steelers' fourth-round pick in 2008 out of Texas, has played in only four games in three years, most of which came at tackle.

Left tackle Jonathan Scott and rookie first-round pick Cameron Heyward got into a scuffle during practice and had to be separated by teammates, including Maurkice Pouncey and Casey Hampton. "It's part of the game," Heyward said. "... it's all in fun and we still love each other off the field."

Undrafted rookie free agent Miguel Chavis was moved from defensive end to tight end for yesterday's practice. The Steelers have been looking for an end-of-the-line blocking tight end since the departure of Matt Spaeth to Chicago. Chavis (6-5, 280) took part in individual drills, but no team drills.

Punter Daniel Sepulveda picked up where he left off in Friday's preseason game by unleashing several booming punts during special teams practice. Sepulveda, who is coming off a right ACL injury, kicked approximately 20 balls, with a number of them traveling longer than 50 yards. Sepulveda averaged 51 yards on four kicks against the Redskins on Friday.

Not practicing Sunday were kicker Shaun Suisham (illness), DE Brett Keisel (ankle), WR Arnaz Battle (knee), DE Aaron Smith (knee), CB Ike Taylor (thumb), WR Wes Lyons (concussion) and CB Crezdon Butler (leg).

Note: To make room for Cotchery, the Steelers placed defensive end Sunny Harris on the waived/injured list. Harris hurt his foot in the Steelers' 16-7 loss to the Washington Redskins on Friday night. Harris' foot is in a protective boot and he is on crutches.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1V78CJoSV (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751594.html#ixzz1V78CJoSV)

feltdizz
08-15-2011, 02:56 PM
"My game is not pretty; it's not cute."

Pot meet Kettle...

hawaiiansteel
09-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Jerricho's injury walls come tumblin' down

Saturday, September 24, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201109/cotchery1_160.jpg

Jerricho Cotchery pulls in a pass Aug. 18 against the Eagles.

It was a quick and successful start for Jerricho Cotchery after he signed with the Steelers two weeks into training camp.

After averaging 51 catches and 645 yards in seven seasons with the New York Jets, his debut with the Steelers in the second preseason game was equally productive.

Cotchery had two catches for 49 yards against the Philadelphia Eagles, including a 20-yard touchdown from Byron Leftwich. His arrival looked to be the finishing touch to a receiving corps that includes Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

"When I first walked into the locker room in the preseason game and to see my name on a black-and-gold jersey, it was a sight," Cotchery said.

"I was excited to be out there."

But nobody has seen Cotchery since, at least, not on a football field. He injured his right hamstring in that game, did not play in the final two preseason games and aggravated the injury the week leading up to the opener in Baltimore.

Cotchery, though, might finally resurface Sunday night in Lucas Oil Stadium when the Steelers (1-1) play the Indianapolis Colts (0-2). He has practiced all week and could dress as the fifth receiver against the Colts.

"To have that setback and having to wait this long to get back on the field have been frustrating," Cotchery said. "But the guys and coaching staff have been very supportive through this time."

Cotchery, 29, was signed to give the Steelers a tough, experienced receiver in the slot, a player who could catch the ball in what offensive coordinator Bruce Arians calls "the grimy areas of the field."

But, even if he does dress against the Colts, Cotchery likely will be used only in five-wide receiver sets. The Steelers want to make sure their young playmakers, Sanders and Brown, are on the field in the three- and four-receiver formations.

No matter. Cotchery will be glad just to be back in uniform.

"I got a lot of work in and I didn't have any setbacks," Cotchery said. "I woke up this morning and feel good right now. Coach [Mike Tomlin] is going to listen to me to see how my body is responding, and they're going to watch me work and they're going to go from there."

Cotchery said he felt his hamstring tightening against the Eagles and came out of the game. As a precaution, the Steelers held him out of practice at training camp and did not let him play in the final two preseason games, hoping to have him ready against the Ravens.

But, that week, Cotchery tested his hamstring and ended up aggravating the injury, setting him back again. He missed the first two games against the Ravens and Seattle Seahawks.

"We were being very cautious at that time, that's the frustrating part about it," Cotchery said. "It started feeling pretty good, and I went out and practiced and did it again. I wanted to be out there for that first game and I ended up missing two games because I re-did it.

"Right now, I'm feeling better than I felt at that time. Right now, I'm trying to build off this and move in the right direction to put this behind us."

Left is left, right is right

The Colts have what Mike Tomlin called a "unique" way of aligning their wide receivers -- always lining Reggie Wayne on their left side and Pierre Garcon on the right.

They did the same thing when Marvin Harrison played, too, always lining him on the right.

But, actually, it's not that unique.

Arians, who was the quarterback coach in Indianapolis from 1998-2000, said the Colts do that because their former offensive coordinator, Tom Moore, always preferred his receivers to line up on the same side -- even when he was with the Steelers.

Arians said Lynn Swann always lined on the right side and John Stallworth to the left when Moore was in charge of the Steelers offense from 1977-89.

"He always thought if Marvin Harrison was going to run 100 routes, it's easier for him to run 100 routes from the right side rather than 50 from the right and 50 from the left," Arians said.

Quick hits

Defensive end Brett Keisel (knee sprain) did not practiced all week and will not play against the Colts. He already has been ruled out.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring), who did not play against Seattle, has practiced with the second team, and will not start. He will be replaced by William Gay at left cornerback. McFadden isn't listed on the team's official status report.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11267/11 ... z1Yq6H59yK (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11267/1177210-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1Yq6H59yK)