fordfixer
08-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Steelers notebook: Rookie back likely has torn left ACL
Thursday, August 11, 2011
By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11223/1166609-66-0.stm
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/freed_steelers081011_1_500.jpg
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Barron Batch is taken off the field on a cart after an injury to his left knee at the end of practice Wednesday.

Coach Mike Tomlin already had ruled out six players for the first preseason game Friday night against the Washington Redskins, but he will have to add another to the injury list.

Rookie running back Baron Batch, their seventh-round draft choice who had been one of the standouts of training camp, appeared to injure his knee in the afternoon practice Wednesday and was taken from the field in a cart. Batch was not hit when he was injured. He was cutting on the artificial turf field when he went down late in practice and was in pain.

The Steelers did not release the nature or extent of his injury, but a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Batch "probably" has a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Batch wrote on his personal blog Wednesday that he had sustained a torn ACL.

In a news conference earlier in the day, Tomlin said six players would not play against the Redskins in Landover, Md., including two starters -- offensive guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee), on the physically-unable-to-perform list; and cornerback Bryant McFadden (groin). Also, No. 3 receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) will not play

Also ruled out are rookie cornerback Cortez Allen (hamstring), tight end Eugene Bright (PUP list) and linebacker Mario Harvey (groin).

Tomlin said the starters will go for 10 plays or less and that the 15 veteran free agents who have been practicing for less than a week all could play.

Tomlin said he has not yet determined the quarterback rotation, but Ben Roethlisberger will start and is expected to be replaced after the first series by Byron Leftwich. It has not been determined if Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch will replace Leftwich, although both likely will play against the Redskins.
Unusual practice

In a rare move, Tomlin will send the team through a practice in pads this morning -- something he rarely does the day before a preseason game -- before the team leaves for the game against the Redskins.

Usually, Tomlin will hold just a light walk-through practice the day before a game. Part of the reason for the heavy practice is because he wants to get his veterans some extra works in pads because they won't play much in Washington.

"We're not going to play that much [against the Redskins], so practice won't affect us in the game as much as the young guys," said inside linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior. "Those are the guys who will need their legs."
Wide receiver added

Because of all the injuries at the position, the Steelers picked up a "veteran" wide receiver when they signed Kenny Moore and waived injured rookie receiver Adam Mimms. Moore, a fifth-round draft pick of the Detroit Lions in 2008, also has been with the Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts.

Wide receivers Mike Wallace (groin) and Limas Sweed (shoulder) did not practice Thursday, and Sanders is out until at least next week.
Carter earns praise

One of the standouts in training camp has been rookie outside linebacker Chris Carter, the team's fifth-round draft choice from Fresno State. A converted defensive end, he has impressed his teammates and coaches with his quickness off the right edge.

"He's pretty quick for a little guy," Farrior said of Carter, who is listed at 6 feet 1, 248 pounds. "He's got cat-like quickness."

"The kid is relentless," said linebackers coach Keith Butler.
Only in August

A media newcomer to the Steelers beat asked Tomlin if he might start Antonio Brown over Hines Ward.

"In August football, certainly," Tomlin answered.
Quick hits

Former Cincinnati tight end Reggie Kelly, at training camp Tuesday, was offered the veteran minimum to sign and compete for the No. 2 spot, but he declined. ... Offensive left tackle Jonathan Scott (ankle), outside linebacker James Harrison and offensive guard Ramon Foster (concussion) returned to practice.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11223/11 ... z1UhAfOSxt (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11223/1166609-66-0.stm#ixzz1UhAfOSxt)

Ghost
08-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Huge bummer. Seemed like a great kid with some solid potential. Wonder if this lights a fire under Dwyer's backside?

Lebsteel
08-11-2011, 08:58 AM
After reading Baron's blog, all I can say is Wow!! He seems to be a tremendous young man that has an incredible perspective on life and an unshakable faith in God. What a wonderful example for us all. It would be completely understandable for him to be angry and depressed, at least for a few days, but not him. I hope his recovery goes well and he is back in action next training camp and earns a spot next year as our 3rd down back. God Bless you Baron!!

phillyesq
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Really feel bad for him. As a 7th round pick, he was somewhat of a longshot coming into camp. Then, he comes in, has a great camp, and this happens. A real shame.

Replacing him could prove difficult - certianly more difficult than I'd expect from a 7th round pick. Reports on Dwyer have been terrible. I don't know anything about Johnson, who seems to be just a camp body. I'd be surprised to see Clay on the active roster.

Maybe the Steelers just go with Moore and Redman behind Mendenhall and use the roster spot elsewhere?

RuthlessBurgher
08-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Too bad for the kid. Sounded like he was having the camp of his life, and could have been a real contributor this year (it's odd that the 7th round pick would be considered the frontrunner for the Joe Greene Rookie of the Year Award, but until this injury, it looked like he could be the leading candidate, since he would likely have seen the field more during his rookie year than more heralded guys like Heyward, Gilbert, Brown, Allen, Carter, and Williams, each of whom is expected to be a "redshirt" of sorts for this coming season).

I thought it was interesting that Kugler had Willie Colon presenting the upcoming team's scouting report to his linemates in film study prior to each week's matchup, to keep him involved with the team while rehabbing his Achilles last season. When he wasn't physically able to play the game, he got to see the game like a coach instead.

While I don't foresee Kirby Wilson giving such a large duty to a rookie 7th round pick who hasn't set foot on an NFL playing field yet, it would be nice if he could give him some sort of similar duty to keep the kid involved (he's obviously a studious guy, based on what he writes in his blog). We would also get the benefit of getting to read about this sort of stuff on his blog on an ongoing basis as well (I like insider access to this sort of thing).

NW Steeler
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
If anything, it would seem as though Batch's performance in camp has been pushing Dwyer. According to Wexell, Dwyer has gotten better every day in camp and was even displaying some "power" yesterday.

ikestops85
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Damn!!! :(

I was really excited to see this kid play. There seemed to be a lot of buzz surrounding him. It sounds like Ben is also disappointed Batch won't be playing.

pittpete
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Hopefully he comes back just as strong next year.
Im really pulling for this kid..
Stay strong Baron...

phillyesq
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Reading some of his comments on twitter, it's impossible not to be pulling for this guy to come back strong next year:

http://twitter.com/#!/baron_batch
http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/baron_batch/~mQALT

Sounds like a really good kid with quite a head on his shoulders.

steeler_george
08-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I love this kid.... he is on the right track to be one of the all time liked steelers!

sentinel33
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Dang.

If there is anyone who can rebound from this setback, it's Baron.

Physically strong. But his strength truly resides in his indominable spirit.

Keep truckin' Baron. Steelers everywhere sre rallying around you.

Shawn
08-11-2011, 04:18 PM
This is a shame...I really felt the Steelers found a gem. Who knows how the Steelers will approach this news.

With that said...what to do about the 3rd down back situation. I'm all for letting Mendenhall carry the entire load 3rd down and all...sprinkle in some Redman and that's a tough backfield.

BURGH86STEEL
08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I hope he can bounce back and become and effective player.

LordVile
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Too bad for the kid. Sounded like he was having the camp of his life, and could have been a real contributor this year (it's odd that the 7th round pick would be considered the frontrunner for the Joe Greene Rookie of the Year Award, but until this injury, it looked like he could be the leading candidate, since he would likely have seen the field more during his rookie year than more heralded guys like Heyward, Gilbert, Brown, Allen, Carter, and Williams, each of whom is expected to be a "redshirt" of sorts for this coming season).

I thought it was interesting that Kugler had Willie Colon presenting the upcoming team's scouting report to his linemates in film study prior to each week's matchup, to keep him involved with the team while rehabbing his Achilles last season. When he wasn't physically able to play the game, he got to see the game like a coach instead.

While I don't foresee Kirby Wilson giving such a large duty to a rookie 7th round pick who hasn't set foot on an NFL playing field yet, it would be nice if he could give him some sort of similar duty to keep the kid involved (he's obviously a studious guy, based on what he writes in his blog). We would also get the benefit of getting to read about this sort of stuff on his blog on an ongoing basis as well (I like insider access to this sort of thing).

yeah man, major bummer.. poor guy. hope he can be back next year.

touching on what u say bout COLON, thats one thing that I did like about the guy. I hate them false starts but I respected the fact that COLON was there for all the games watching and being a supportive team member even though he couldn't play. He coulda been at home drinking beer or rehabbing in the bahamas but he was with the team the whole way thru.. i like that alot. hope Colon plays better this year..

Oviedo
08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
You just gotta believe that given the high level of character we have had insights of with regard to Batch he will come back next year even more determined and more ready.

He will come back next year with the benefits of an entire off season of workouts and learning the playbook. Long term this bad news could turn out good for him.