PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft...Greatest draft class in last 30 years?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Ok I know it can't top some of our 70's drafts but lets look at the 2010 Steeler Draft and its potential:

1)- M Pouncey C Already an all-pro and a chance to be the 2nd greatest Steeler C of all time.

2)-J Worilds LB Showing promise and J Harrison's eventual replacement.

3)- E Sanders WR Already a great 3rd Wideout with potential to be an eventual #1--At least will be a solid 2 wide receiver.

4)- Thad Gibson LB Had to cut

5)-Chris Scott G Camp rave who may even start this year at the G spot.

5)-Crez Butler CB Hear good things about him, haven't heard much of late. Should have a chance to start in a year or two.

5) SLY ILB Have seen this guys potential and seems to be a lock at Farrior's replacement.

6)- J Dwyer RB Soon to be cut. Lazy Bum!

6)- A. Brown WR Probably rootin for this guy the most. Has potential to be a solid #2 with playmaking ability. #1 Wideout potential one day---Sure!

7) D Worthington DL Cut but still dancing around the league.

We have 6 players that all should be starters one day! That is OK with me as it seems this draft class can be tops in a long while. THOUGHTS?

grotonsteel
08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Well too early to say but it could be a great draft class. If Steelers can get 6 starters from 2010 draft it will be awesome.

papillon
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Yea, it would make up for the 2008 draft class.

Pappy

flippy
08-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Could be a good class. It's too early to tell for sure.

I think you also have to look at UDFAs nowadays to compare fairly to the older drafts with more rounds. 04 was the first year for Big Ben, Starks, Harrison, and FWP. That was a pretty solid year for us. I wish some place tracked the draft picks and UDFAs to make it easy to compare. 04 really jumps out in my mind cause of Parker and Harrison, but there are might be others if we think about it.

I think you can also make the case, it was a good draft if we got 2 or more stud players or 3-4 quality guys.

09 could be good if Ziggy and Wallace reach their max potential. Add in Lewis?

07 was decent with Timmons, Woodley, Sep (ugh), and Gay

03 - not a lot of picks but we got Troy and Ike and without Troy we may not have seen 3 SuperBowls in the last 6 years.

02 got us a lot of starters and 2010 could look like 02 down the road

98 got us 2 HOFers in Faneca and Ward + Deshea and Fu :)

92 was solid with Searcy, Kirkland, Steed, and Perry

90 was an awesome draft with Foster, Green, and ODonnel who were really 3 of the best we've had at their respective positions even though their careers were way too short. Who didn't think Foster and Green were the best RB and TE in the history of the game at one point (or at least had that potential)

Then the only other significant draft post 70s I can think of had to be the year we got Woodson and Lloyd in the same season. Think it was 86 or 87?

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I think that it takes at least three years to properly evaluate a draft class as some players disappoint as rookies and don't begin to emerge until their 2nd or 3rd seasons.

Ike, Troy and Timmons come to mind as recent examples of that...

papillon
08-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Could be a good class. It's too early to tell for sure.

I think you also have to look at UDFAs nowadays to compare fairly to the older drafts with more rounds. 04 was the first year for Big Ben, Starks, Harrison, and FWP. That was a pretty solid year for us. I wish some place tracked the draft picks and UDFAs to make it easy to compare. 04 really jumps out in my mind cause of Parker and Harrison, but there are might be others if we think about it.

I think you can also make the case, it was a good draft if we got 2 or more stud players or 3-4 quality guys.

09 could be good if Ziggy and Wallace reach their max potential. Add in Lewis?

07 was decent with Timmons, Woodley, Sep (ugh), and Gay

03 - not a lot of picks but we got Troy and Ike and without Troy we may not have seen 3 SuperBowls in the last 6 years.

02 got us a lot of starters and 2010 could look like 02 down the road

98 got us 2 HOFers in Faneca and Ward + Deshea and Fu :)

92 was solid with Searcy, Kirkland, Steed, and Perry

90 was an awesome draft with Foster, Green, and ODonnel who were really 3 of the best we've had at their respective positions even though their careers were way too short. Who didn't think Foster and Green were the best RB and TE in the history of the game at one point (or at least had that potential)

Then the only other significant draft post 70s I can think of had to be the year we got Woodson and Lloyd in the same season. Think it was 86 or 87?

2004 got the Steelers a pretty good player and without him the Steelers would still be stuck on 4.

Pappy

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-10-2011, 12:38 AM
I know its early but I can't wait to see the young talent on this team develop.

Sly ILB
Hood DE
Heyward DE
Worilds OLB

E Sanders WR
A Brown WR
Wallace WR
C Scott G
M Pouncey C

These guys with the likes of BEN, HEATH, WOODLEY, TIMMONS--who all still have years to give make it exciting times.

We do need some young db's to step it up and contribute.

hawaiiansteel
08-10-2011, 01:35 AM
I know its early but I can't wait to see the young talent on this team develop.

We do need some young db's to step it up and contribute.

Keenan Lewis / Crezdon Butler / Curtis Brown / Cortez Allen / Donovan Warren / Niles Brinkley

wouldn't it be great if a couple of these young CBs stepped it up and were able to contribute this season?