PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Kelly, TE to Visit

phillyesq
08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
This seems like a puzzling move, unless they aren't happy with Gilmore. I would think that one veteran blocking TE on the roster is enough.

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I haven't heard much at all about how Gilmore's been doing at camp since we signed him (good, bad, or otherwise). I assumed that Gilmore and Saunders were battling for the backup blocking TE slot, and Johnson and McCoy were battling for the H-back/FB type role. More competition never hurt though, particularly if those guys have been less than stellar so far.

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Former Bengals Tight End Reggie Kelly To Visit Pittsburgh On Tuesday

by Josh Kirkendall on Aug 8, 2011

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1720542/76523_Saints_Bengals_Football.jpg

8 months ago: Cincinnati Bengals Tight end Reggie Kelly (82) blocks Vilma.

Really, Reggie? The enemy? Not that we have the right to complain. Former Bengals tight end Reggie Kelly will reportedly visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday, likely competing for the second and/or third spot behind starter Heath Miller, according Mike Prisuta of WDVE in Pittsburgh.

Signing with Cincinnati as an unrestricted free agent in 2003, Kelly played with the Bengals for the past eight seasons, save for missing the entire 2009 season after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon during training camp. Kelly has been noted mostly as a blocking tight end, often helping Carson Palmer out in the passing game by lining up in the backfield as added protection. During his 100-game stint with the Bengals, Kelly posted 125 receptions for 970 yards receiving and three touchdowns, the last coming in 2006.

After the team selected Jermaine Gresham in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, Kelly has largely worked in a mentor role while often lining up double tight end formations and added protection in obvious passing down situations. The final notice that Kelly was likely finished in Cincinnati was the team's signing of Bo Scaife last week.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac initially reported that the Steelers are interested in Kelly, wanting to bring him in for a visit.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/8/235 ... -this-week (http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/8/2352332/former-bengals-tight-end-reggie-kelly-could-visit-pittsburgh-this-week)

steelblood
08-09-2011, 02:58 PM
could we get a LT to visit us, please?

phillyesq
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
could we get a LT to visit us, please?

Maybe the plan is to put Kelly on the Trai Essex diet plan and have him eat himself into playing LT. :lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Former Cincinnati tight end Reggie Kelly, at training camp Tuesday, was offered the veteran minimum to sign and compete for the No. 2 spot, but he declined.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11223/11 ... z1UhAfOSxt

Chadman
08-11-2011, 08:55 AM
At this stage I think I'd be alright with a camp battle between Vet Gilmore & Rookie Saunders for the back-up TE role, and with Johnson likely winning the H-Back role.

Here's hoping Saunders can win that battle.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Good as Reggie has been over the years, he's getting pretty long in the tooth. Give the spot to a younger player.

phillyesq
08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Good as Reggie has been over the years, he's getting pretty long in the tooth. Give the spot to a younger player.

Steelers offered him the minimum and a chance to compete. He declined, and announced his retirement.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Steelers offered him the minimum and a chance to compete. He declined, and announced his retirement.

Good. It's time for him to leave the game.

Steelgal
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
From what I've read Gilmore hasn't shown much. In fact, Saunders has had a better camp, but not sure if it's been enough to unseat the veteren player.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
From what I've read Gilmore hasn't shown much. In fact, Saunders has had a better camp, but not sure if it's been enough to unseat the veteren player.

I'll bet the Steelers aren't done looking for another veteran TE to bring in.

Steelgal
08-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Here's a part of an article I read on another site

"Tight end – Free-agent acquisition John Gilmore has been a disappointment and may not make the team. Jamie McCoy is the group’s best lead-blocking fullback, but the Steelers won’t keep a backup fullback/H-back behind Johnson, their best overall blocking tight end. Undrafted rookie Weslye Saunders reported in outstanding shape and has impressed with his natural skills, but he’s very raw, probably too raw to unseat Gilmore.

flippy
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
If we had a better line, we wouldn't need all these blocking TEs.

steelblood
08-11-2011, 04:50 PM
If Saunders shows good natural TE skills, he likely won't make it to our PS.

NJ-STEELER
08-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Gerry: Don't give up on Kelly just yer
THURSDAY, 11 AUGUST 2011 18:33 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC
Jerricho Cotchery might not be the only player to return to the Steelers after visiting them at training camp.

Former Cincinnati Bengals tight end Reggie Kelly, who was at St. Vincent College on Tuesday, could end up signing with the Steelers, too.

Kelly didn't want to play for the veteran minimum, which the Steelers were offering to be their No. 2 tight end. But both sides haven't ruled out a possible reconciliation.