PDA

View Full Version : Chris Scott OL star of camp - Pushing to be starter at RG

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2011, 04:46 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1318428534/image_normal.jpg by Gerry Dulac

Chris Scott one of stars of #steelers camp. Pushing to be starter at RG.

8/7 via Twitter for iPhone - @gerrydulac

http://twitter.com/#%21/gerrydulac/stat ... 7361633280 (http://twitter.com/#%21/gerrydulac/status/100383057361633280)

Discipline of Steel
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
J. Scott - Kemo - Pouncey - C. Scott - Colon

or maybe

J. Scott - Legursky - Pouncey - C. Scott - Colon
(Kemo bounced to Arizona)

steelblood
08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm ok with cutting Kemo if Starks can be brought back and worked into shape.

Discipline of Steel
08-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Of course we'll have to track his performance over training camp and preseason. He had one bad year, give him a chance to bounce back.

AkronSteel
08-09-2011, 12:50 AM
This is exactly what the Steelers need. They need one of their young bucks to step up and make a difference on the OL. Whether it be Scott, Williams, Gilbert.....it doesn't really matter. They need one of the young guys to step up and be the real deal and it will solve a ton of issues. Foster could then go back to being a backup at G and T and the team would again have solid depth upfront!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I get the impression Kemo is getting that warm sensation on the back of his neck because it sounds like Williams is ahead of the curve and closing fast with a ceiling yet to be seen. Kemo...Was already at the top of his game & in decline since he got paid. Mental commitment or physical well being...Young guys under Koogs seem to develop fast.

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
TUESDAY, 09 AUGUST 2011

WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Mark it down – Chris Scott will be the starter at right guard when the regular season opens. He has been one of the bright spots of training camp with his run blocking and has the thick body type the Steelers prefer.

A fifth-round pick last year, Scott (6-5, 320) is a powerful run blocker who can also play tackle. But, because the other teams in the AFC North play a 4-3 defense, he would be lining over a tackle and wouldn’t have to play in space.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... urn-monday (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/111132-gerry-sanders-to-return-monday)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-09-2011, 04:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there were many who liked Scott better at G during the Senior Bowl. I also guess we know why he sat on the 53 after recovery because of what he did in practice. If the guy can take the handing out of this offense...I would be very happy!!!

fezziwig
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
You would think by now someone in the background could finally step up and prove they are better or earned a starters position.

Oviedo
08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
You knew they liked Scott alot because they didn't IR him last year. It's great to see someone stepping up on the OL

Guess thia means that Foster was just last year's version of Darnell Stapleton. Let's hopw we can get one of the OTs to step up or it will be a long season.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-09-2011, 06:51 PM
give it a rest ovi. ramon foster will still be a valuable addition on gamedays as the backup G or RT in a pinch.

but keep hating on the kid because he made your pet urbik look bad.

grotonsteel
08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Any idea how Marcus Gilbert is doing? I know he was injured but today was his first practice day. can he play LT?

Keith Williams and Chris Scott are looking good in camp so far. I thought Chris Scott was playing at RT.

I am worried about OT though. Who are the backup OT for Steelers?

Oviedo
08-09-2011, 08:56 PM
give it a rest ovi. ramon foster will still be a valuable addition on gamedays as the backup G or RT in a pinch.

but keep hating on the kid because he made your pet urbik look bad.

I'd enjoy fishing alot more if it was as easy to get the fish to take the bait as it is getting you to take the bait and jump to the defense of second and third string players on the Steelers. :wink:

Eddie Spaghetti
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
good on you dude.

i just think you're an idiot for focusing on a kid like ramon foster who has done nothing but come in and work hard and outperform a guy like kemo who makes a ton more money. thats where i would focus my ire. ramon foster provides great value to a team which needs it so they can sign other players like timmons, woodley, and troy.

just think if we had to pay pro-bowlers like joe burnett and kraig urbik!!!!

god forbid we had drafted a superstar like cj spiller with our 1st round pick last year and not that bum pouncey!!!!!

Oviedo
08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
good on you dude.

i just think you're an idiot for focusing on a kid like ramon foster who has done nothing but come in and work hard and outperform a guy like kemo who makes a ton more money. thats where i would focus my ire. ramon foster provides great value to a team which needs it so they can sign other players like timmons, woodley, and troy.

just think if we had to pay pro-bowlers like joe burnett and kraig urbik!!!!

god forbid we had drafted a superstar like cj spiller with our 1st round pick last year and not that bum pouncey!!!!!

Why do you keep on talking about players who aren't Steelers? I don't. This is a Steelers message board right?????? :wink:

BTW--other than the fun I get from knowing you will respond like I insulted the best player on the team I really have no issues with Foster. I just see him for the marginal to ok NFL player that he is and don't project him as anything special or having any meaningful future other than career back-up/spot starter like Darnell Stapleton or Chuki Okobi.

Chadman
08-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Here's betting that Marcus Gilbert is now considered the back-up LT for the Steelers, with Ramon Foster possibly competing for that role as well. Foster is great value because he can play 4 of the 5 OL positions (maybe not at Pro Bowl level- but still). He earned the right to start last year, but if he is beaten out by either Legursky or Chris Scott- that's not a bad thing.

I'd personally like to see Williams & Foster given a shot at Kemo's position to see if we can get better value from our LG- Kemo is paid quite nicely for an average starting OG. Ask yourself this- is there that much difference between Kemo's level of play & Foster's? Enough to justify the disparity in contract value?

Eddie Spaghetti
08-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Why do you keep on talking about players who aren't Steelers? I don't. This is a Steelers message board right??????

thats BS and you know it. all last year when the bills picked up your pet urbik, we heard about it.

when the giants picked up the pro-bowler burnett, we heard about it.

your revisionist history cracks me up. you said, why don't you own it?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I believe Foster has a role & value to this team regardless if he is starting. Healthy competition only improves the production.

Slapstick
08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
If you go with 7 O-linemen on game day, you put out the best starting 5 (presumably J. Scott - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - C. Scott(?) - Colon) and you have your two most versatile backups (Foster - Legursky) as actives...

If there are nine total O-Linemen on the roster, you would then have Gilbert and Williams as inactives but on the 53-man...

The Steelers could carry as many as 10 O-linemen on the 53-man roster, but if that 10th guy is Hills, they may think they would be better off using that spot elsewhere...

pittpete
08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Kemo is paid quite nicely for an average starting OG. Ask yourself this- is there that much difference between Kemo's level of play & Foster's? Enough to justify the disparity in contract value?
Based on last years performance, I'd say no.
Kemo is a 1 dimensional player.

phillyesq
08-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I believe Foster has a role & value to this team regardless if he is starting. Healthy competition only improves the production.

I think Foster can be a cheaper Trai Essex. He should be able to backup 4 of the 5 oline positions on gameday, but I'd be very worried if he had to spend much time at LT.

I've read a lot of positive buzz on Scott, and it would be nice to see him (or Legursky) come in and take the starting RG job from Foster. I'd prefer Scott because he has better size, but I think the Steelers will ulimately be better off somebody beats Foster for the RG slot.

I'm looking forward to seeing Scott and Williams in the preseason. It would be nice to see Scott start this year and Williams develop into a starter for 2012.

Slapstick
08-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Foster and Legursky are a very valuable commodity: versatile offensive linemen with extensive playing (and starting!) experience...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-10-2011, 01:55 PM

I think Foster can be a cheaper Trai Essex. He should be able to backup 4 of the 5 oline positions on gameday, but I'd be very worried if he had to spend much time at LT.

I've read a lot of positive buzz on Scott, and it would be nice to see him (or Legursky) come in and take the starting RG job from Foster. I'd prefer Scott because he has better size, but I think the Steelers will ulimately be better off somebody beats Foster for the RG slot.

I'm looking forward to seeing Scott and Williams in the preseason. It would be nice to see Scott start this year and Williams develop into a starter for 2012.

If Scott beats out Foster at RG, I believe Gilbert & Bronco might get the helmets gameday. Gilbert will probably back up both tackle spots. C Scott could also play both tackle spots. If you gave Bronco & Foster a helmet if Scott wins the RG spot, you back-up LT gameday would be C Scott.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Players to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers' Friday Preseason Opener Against Washington Redskins

by Simonsen on Aug 10, 2011

Chris Scott, Offensive Guard, #61, 2nd Year

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/777451/2011_TC_86_419--nfl_medium_540_360_JPG_medium.jpg

Since Alan Faneca left the organization for more money from the Jets, the offensive line has arguably been the most scrutinized part of an otherwise deep and talented Steelers team. That didn’t change during this offseason, when the release of both 2010 starting tackles Flozell Adams and Max Starks caused a near uproar among some Steelers faithful. Why release two starters when you already lack depth at the position? But one man has largely been forgotten by the fans in the search for a younger and more talented unit, and he is now turning heads at camp: offensive guard Chris Scott.

Picked up in the fifth round of the 2010 draft, Scott quickly injured his foot when working out before that year's training camp and spent the season on injured reserve. Many had discounted him in the hunt for the 2011 Steelers offensive line, but Scott is taking full advantage of LG Chris Kemoeatu’s knee injury and the wide-open competition at right guard. Playing both guard positions with the first team in practices, Scott has impressed reporters and fans. The Post-Gazette’s Gerry Dulac has already dubbed Scott one of the Stars of Camp, while ex Steelers lineman Craig Wolfley included him among his camp eye-catchers. The Steelers could certainly use an influx of talent on their offensive line and against Washington, Scott will get a chance to show that he is a long term answer at guard.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hris-scott (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/10/2354394/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-preseason-baron-batch-keenan-lewis-chris-scott)

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Picked up in the fifth round of the 2010 draft, Scott quickly injured his foot when working out before that year's training camp and spent the season on injured reserve.

No, he didn't. He was on the PUP throughout the preseason and the first 6 weeks of the regular season, then he was on the 53 man roster for the rest of the season.

Shoe
08-13-2011, 06:09 PM
This is exactly what the Steelers need. They need one of their young bucks to step up and make a difference on the OL. Whether it be Scott, Williams, Gilbert.....it doesn't really matter. They need one of the young guys to step up and be the real deal and it will solve a ton of issues. Foster could then go back to being a backup at G and T and the team would again have solid depth upfront!!!

Yeah. You love it when a young guy steps up and takes a job, instead of sorta waiting to anoint someone like it seems like we've been doing for so long.

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Chris Scott certainly didn't look like a star...

Post-Washington thoughts

SATURDAY, AUGUST 13, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

© Ramon Foster started at right guard, but was replaced by Chris Scott in the second series. Scott had a tough go of it, allowing a running play to get blown up and allowing a sack.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

calmkiller
08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Chris Scott certainly didn't look like a star...

Post-Washington thoughts

SATURDAY, AUGUST 13, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

© Ramon Foster started at right guard, but was replaced by Chris Scott in the second series. Scott had a tough go of it, allowing a running play to get blown up and allowing a sack.

Dale Lolley must not have watched the same game as me. The starting Oline from left to right on the very first offensive play was J. Scott, Legursky, Pouncey, C Scott, Colon. I have watched the game three times now. Scott started. I will agree with the fact that he looked lost however.

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Washington 16 - Pittsburgh 7: Post-Game Analysis & Player Breakdowns

Fri, Aug 12th, 2011 by DePaoli

Player Breakdowns

*RG Chris Scott started at right guard and played the entire first half and then some in the second half. Scott who has emerged as a candidate for the starting right guard job was completely overwhelmed against the Redskins No. 1 and No. 2 defensive units. Scott struggled with quick reads and the Redskins got constant pressure against him.

It's early but Ramon Foster can sleep a little easier tonight.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... wns/41522/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/washington-16-pittsburgh-7-post-game-analysis-player-breakdowns/41522/)

phillyesq
08-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Washington 16 - Pittsburgh 7: Post-Game Analysis & Player Breakdowns

Fri, Aug 12th, 2011 by DePaoli

Player Breakdowns

*RG Chris Scott started at right guard and played the entire first half and then some in the second half. Scott who has emerged as a candidate for the starting right guard job was completely overwhelmed against the Redskins No. 1 and No. 2 defensive units. Scott struggled with quick reads and the Redskins got constant pressure against him.

It's early but Ramon Foster can sleep a little easier tonight.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... wns/41522/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/washington-16-pittsburgh-7-post-game-analysis-player-breakdowns/41522/)

I just watched the game last night. I'm certainly no o-line expert, but I'll agree that Scott did not look good.

As for the other young lineman, I did notice one play where Keith Williams did a good job of passing off rushers. I didn't really watch the oline too closely later, but that play stood out for me as a positive.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Whose Stock is on the Rise/Fall After First Preseason Game?

By Cian Fahey (Featured Columnist) on August 13, 2011

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/187/136/112141754_display_image.jpg?1313285256

Chris Scott

It was exciting to see No. 61 on the field at the start of the game, and Chris Scott appeared to have the upperhand over his former college teammate Ramon Foster at right guard.

However by the time he took his place on the bench, Foster had been all but guaranteed to be ahead of Scott in the fight for the starting right guard spot.

Curiously, Foster didn't start at left guard as Doug Legursky took that spot, but he did enter on the second series.

Chris Scott was beaten repeatedly on the opening drive and looked to be over-matched physically. It's obvious that Scott is better suited to play tackle until he bulks up, because he couldn't handle Stephen Bowen last night.

Foster was, just as he has been through his career, reliable if unspectacular in carrying out his role.

Stock: FALLING

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8042 ... ame/page/4 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/804275-pittsburgh-steelers-6-players-stock-on-the-risefall-after-first-preseason-game/page/4)

Eddie Spaghetti
08-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Ramon Foster.

do your thing boy.

steelz09
08-15-2011, 09:41 PM
I agree. I thought the entire oline sucked last game but I was a bit let down by Scott's play considering the hype he was getting.

flippy
08-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I know this is the incorrect answer, but our best interior line would be Pouncey (LG), Legursky (C), and Colon (RG).

Oviedo
08-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Ramon Foster.

do your thing boy.

Looks like they want Tony Hills to "do his thing" instead! Looks to be open auditions time at RG since they don't appear to like any of the current options.

phillyesq
08-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Ramon Foster.

do your thing boy.

Looks like they want Tony Hills to "do his thing" instead! Looks to be open auditions time at RG since they don't appear to like any of the current options.

I'm not sure if it's open auditions, or if they're giving Hill a shot at RG to see if he has enough position flexibility to be considered as a backup.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
i expect foster to be the starting RG in baltimore on sept. 11th.

want to make a friendly wager ovi?

Oviedo
08-16-2011, 09:20 AM

He may start by default but it is clear that they want a bigger improvement at that position or they wouldn't be doing open auditions. The reality is we don't have the quality RG we need.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-16-2011, 09:22 AM
yawn.

phillyesq
08-16-2011, 11:15 AM

He may start by default but it is clear that they want a bigger improvement at that position or they wouldn't be doing open auditions. The reality is we don't have the quality RG we need.

We disagree on a lot, but I will agree with you that Foster is not, and should not be, the long term answer at RG. That doesn't make him without value - he could be a cheaper Trai Essex, a guy able to play all positions on the oline, but none particularly well - but I don't think he is the long term starter at RG.

Oviedo
08-16-2011, 12:18 PM

We disagree on a lot, but I will agree with you that Foster is not, and should not be, the long term answer at RG. That doesn't make him without value - he could be a cheaper Trai Essex, a guy able to play all positions on the oline, but none particularly well - but I don't think he is the long term starter at RG.

A cheaper Trai Essex is the perfect analogy. He is a back up and not the starter level quality we should have at the RG position. No one on the roster has proven they are that yet.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
and yet we went to the superbowl with foster underperforming at RG.

who gave up the pressure that cost a pick 6 again?

unlike ovi, the FO understands you cant have pro-bowlers at every position even though our LG is paid like one.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 09:41 PM
sounds like Chris Scott's star has fallen...

Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley
AUGUST 23, 2011

© Trai Essex admitted to allowing himself to get out of shape in the offseason, which was a big reason why the Steelers didn't re-sign him.

His signing, even at this late date, could mean the Steelers aren't happy with the progress made by some of their young linemen, particularly Chris Scott.

Scott was given the chance to win the right guard spot and failed badly against Washington. He followed that up with a sub-par effort last week against Philadephia.

There is also some concern that Jonathan Scott's knee injury may not be completely healed when the Steelers roll into Baltimore in Week 1.