PDA

View Full Version : Corners picked on the most in scrutiny of Steelers' defense

fordfixer
08-08-2011, 01:57 AM
Corners picked on the most in scrutiny of Steelers' defense
Monday, August 08, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/1165950-66-0.stm

No matter how it is dissected, the Steelers defense does just about everything but stop traffic on the Parkway. They stop the run, sack the quarterback and disrupt the pass better than any team in the National Football League, though the latter might come as a surprise to people who want to deride their secondary.

In a season in which their defensive performance was as complete as any in team history, the Steelers led the league in scoring (232), rushing (62.8 yards per game) and sacks (48); were second in opposing passer rating (73.1); and were second in the AFC with 21 interceptions.

Nonetheless, after the Green Bay Packers and quarterback Aaron Rodgers zipped through their defense in Super Bowl XLV, the secondary has absorbed nearly as much criticism as gas prices. And it's the cornerbacks who receive the brunt of the blame, especially Bryant McFadden and nickel back William Gay, each of whom were targeted by Rodgers and repeatedly picked on in a 31-25 loss to the Packers.

"A lot of people pinpoint that game, but we played against an outstanding offense," McFadden said. "When you look at what they did, they executed on all cylinders throughout the playoffs and we didn't play as well as we did. But we had plays and we were still in position to win the game."

Then McFadden added, "We take a lot of blows. It's the nature of the business."

Six months later, it appears the Steelers are prepared to head into the season with the same trio of cornerbacks who lined up in the Super Bowl. They re-signed Ike Taylor, their best corner, to a new contract -- a move considered a top priority after the conclusion of the lockout. And they decided to bring back Gay, who was an unrestricted free agent, for one more season as their nickel back.

Sure, the Steelers drafted two cornerbacks with back-to-back picks in April -- Curtis Brown of Texas in the third round and Cortez Allen of The Citadel in the fourth -- but neither is even close to being ready to move out McFadden as the starting left cornerback. Brown and Allen have missed the past couple days of training camp with injuries, further delaying any chance they might have of supplanting Gay as the nickel back.

Safety Ryan Clark said the cornerbacks get a bad rap and are overshadowed in the Steelers defense because it's the only position that hasn't had a player in the Pro Bowl.

"I think our corners do a good job," Clark said. "I think we need to make more plays out there for people to see. I think it's hard when you have a Troy Polamalu who plays safety and makes all those plays. They look at corners in a different way.

"It's a weird deal, but the blame has to go somewhere when something goes wrong I guess."

Indeed, the Steelers trailed only the New England Patriots (25) in the AFC in interceptions, but cornerbacks accounted for just five of their 21 interceptions. And while their opposing passer rating was bested only by the Packers (67.2) in the regular season, the secondary became downright accommodating when they faced an elite quarterback.

Consider:

Drew Brees (305 yards), Tom Brady (350) and Rodgers (304) combined to complete nearly 70 percent of their passes (88 of 126) for 959 yards and eight touchdowns in three games against them. The opposing passer rating in those games was 137.6 -- 64 points above their season average of 73.1.

"That's football," Gay said. "You're the only one out of the front seven, the only one that the fans can really see. They know if you get beat here or beat there, you must not be doing something right. But they don't understand what goes on, as far as seven on seven, so they look at the cornerbacks in the secondary and say it's their fault."

It's probably not going to stop, either, not until the fans see plays of a more positive nature. Taylor makes them all the time, but he doesn't intercept passes. In fact, cornerbacks have accounted for only 13 interceptions in the past three seasons.

"I guess sometimes we feel as though we're probably the ones getting picked on by the media or whatever, but it comes with the territory," McFadden said. "We got some incredible beasts in front of us so they should get all the praise. We got to be the guys on the back end who get all the lashes all the time."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/11 ... z1UPjuY3A2 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/1165950-66-0.stm#ixzz1UPjuY3A2)

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2011, 03:03 AM
Consider:

Drew Brees (305 yards), Tom Brady (350) and Rodgers (304) combined to complete nearly 70 percent of their passes (88 of 126) for 959 yards and eight touchdowns in three games against them. The opposing passer rating in those games was 137.6 -- 64 points above their season average of 73.1.

Ike Taylor, Bmac and Willie Gay are all back this year...

Albert Einstein's Definition of Insanity:

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Mister Pittsburgh
08-08-2011, 07:25 AM
That article is complete garbage.

steelblood
08-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Here is the real issue...

We have a defensive system that is very good, but it does have a weakness. When teams spread us out and get us out of our base D for extended periods, D-line and linebackers become more fatigued and our DBs are left to cover longer. Elite QBs can pick apart our zone and off man coverage with ease. That leaves press man coverage. LeBeau began to implement this much more than usual late last season. Ike and Troy can play in a press man scheme. BMac, Gay, and Clark are non effective at all in this set. And, when Troy is injured (as he has been at the end of many seasons lately), our coverage deficiencies are magnified.

Is there a remedy? Yes!

More athletic corners capable of press man coverage would help. Butler, Brown, and Allen may eventually prove themselves to be this type of player.

A better Dline and linebackers rotation to keep them fresh would also help. Worilds must show he can take on some snaps this year.

More creative nickel and dime defensive alignments could also help. Specifically, I'm talking about bringing Troy to the line to cover the #2 receiver in press coverage from time to time. Gay can be effective as a deep cover two safety. Or, Using Timmons in press man coverage against the most physical receiver in the opponents spread system. Timmons will not be muscled off and (with safety help over the top) can effectively reroute a receiver and disrupt the timing of the play giving our pass rushers time to get to the QB.

A FS with better range would also be nice.

Finally, William Gay's swipe at fan's who don't understand the game is fair to an extent. Many casual fans will jump to conclusions. However, savvy football fans and professional analysts alike agree that the Steelers lack the talent at DB to stick with elite QBs. William needs better self-awareness.

papillon
08-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Here is the real issue...

We have a defensive system that is very good, but it does have a weakness. When teams spread us out and get us out of our base D for extended periods, D-line and linebackers become more fatigued and our DBs are left to cover longer. Elite QBs can pick apart our zone and off man coverage with ease. That leaves press man coverage. LeBeau began to implement this much more than usual late last season. Ike and Troy can play in a press man scheme. BMac, Gay, and Clark are non effective at all in this set. And, when Troy is injured (as he has been at the end of many seasons lately), our coverage deficiencies are magnified.

Is there a remedy? Yes!

More athletic corners capable of press man coverage would help. Butler, Brown, and Allen may eventually prove themselves to be this type of player.

A better Dline and linebackers rotation to keep them fresh would also help. Worilds must show he can take on some snaps this year.

More creative nickel and dime defensive alignments could also help. Specifically, I'm talking about bringing Troy to the line to cover the #2 receiver in press coverage from time to time. Gay can be effective as a deep cover two safety. Or, Using Timmons in press man coverage against the most physical receiver in the opponents spread system. Timmons will not be muscled off and (with safety help over the top) can effectively reroute a receiver and disrupt the timing of the play giving our pass rushers time to get to the QB.

A FS with better range would also be nice.

Finally, William Gay's swipe at fan's who don't understand the game is fair to an extent. Many casual fans will jump to conclusions. However, savvy football fans and professional analysts alike agree that the Steelers lack the talent at DB to stick with elite QBs. William needs better self-awareness.

The other thing that doesn't help the cornerbacks is that the majority of fans are watching on TV and can't see the entire secondary rolling coverage, making last minute adjustments based on formation and motion, Troy moving all over the field, etc. All a fan watching on TV can see is the zoom shot of a corner 7-8 yards off the receiver and then watch as the offense completes an 8 yard out in which an LB may not have gotten a deep enough drop to eliminate the easy out.

There is so much that goes on during a play and watching 4 players doesn't give enough perspective to a TV viewer as to the defense that was called. Clearly, the lesser quarterbacks in the league struggle against the Steeler defense. If the Steeler defense can manage to not allow the elite quarterbacks to ring up yardage at will the Steelers will be fine. Even in the Super Bowl with Rogers seemingly completing passes at will the Steelers had the ball and enough time to win the game.

The defense will be fine; some improvement against the better offenses will have them in the Super Bowl again, IMO.

Pappy

flippy
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
How much pressure did we get on Brees, Brady, and Rogers?

I don't think Troy and BMac being hurt helped.

But at the end of the day, Ben had the ball and a chance. And from what I remember, none of our WRs were able to get open on that last drive. We coulda used Santonio.

rockonsteel
08-08-2011, 10:57 AM
If the Steeler defense can manage to not allow the elite quarterbacks to ring up yardage at will the Steelers will be fine. Pappy

That's exactly the problem. That is a HUGE if. What indications are there that things will be different with the same guys? They should've brought somebody in to challenge for the job opposite Ike. Or they should've used a higher draft choice than token throw-away 3rd and 4th rounders they've been using the last few drafts to no avail. And they damn sure should not have re-signed Wille Gay. So, I can't say I share your confidence there.

Rockon

rockonsteel
08-08-2011, 11:05 AM
How much pressure did we get on Brees, Brady, and Rogers?

I don't think Troy and BMac being hurt helped.

But at the end of the day, Ben had the ball and a chance. And from what I remember, none of our WRs were able to get open on that last drive. We coulda used Santonio.

Technically, you are 100% correct. The receivers did not get open at all on that last drive. Problem is, there was a certain TE that WIDE open on the first two plays of the drive. Ben forced the ball to Wallace on both plays. On the first play, if he goes to Heath, he prolly turns it into a 30 yd. gain. The second play, he would easily gained between 10-20 yds. So, the fault on that last drive falls more on Ben to me, for failing to take advantage of what was open, and forcing the ball into unfavorable situations. Ben locked in on Mike Wallace and the Packers knew he would do so, and blanketed him on that last drive. If Ben recognizes Heath underneath, we're likely looking at a different ending to that game.

Rockon

papillon
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
If the Steeler defense can manage to not allow the elite quarterbacks to ring up yardage at will the Steelers will be fine. Pappy

That's exactly the problem. That is a HUGE if. What indications are there that things will be different with the same guys? They should've brought somebody in to challenge for the job opposite Ike. Or they should've used a higher draft choice than token throw-away 3rd and 4th rounders they've been using the last few drafts to no avail. And they damn sure should not have re-signed Wille Gay. So, I can't say I share your confidence there.

Rockon

Actually, I'm hoping that the stalwarts of the defense, Harrison, Woodley and Polamalu can stay healthy and produce enough pressure to help the secondary by getting a better pass rush. Ike is solid, Polamalu is a HOF (when healthy), Mcfadden and Gay are serviceable if not asked to cover for extended periods of time. The Steelers have invested a lot of money in the front 7 and it appears that they are leaning on them to help the secondary.

I would have liked a FA corner, but the FA corner they signed just happened to be their own cornerback. My guess is that signing a FA corner would have cost Ike his spot on the team. In that case the Steelers are no better off than they were when they started. They would still have one good corner, Troy, Mcfadden and Gay. They weren't spending big money on a FA corner and keeping Ike and signing Colon and signing Woodley and looking to extend Timmons and looking to extend Troy, etc.

The Steelers need big production form the front 7.

Pappy

rockonsteel
08-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Rockon

Actually, I'm hoping that the stalwarts of the defense, Harrison, Woodley and Polamalu can stay healthy and produce enough pressure to help the secondary by getting a better pass rush. Ike is solid, Polamalu is a HOF (when healthy), Mcfadden and Gay are serviceable if not asked to cover for extended periods of time. The Steelers have invested a lot of money in the front 7 and it appears that they are leaning on them to help the secondary.

I would have liked a FA corner, but the FA corner they signed just happened to be their own cornerback. My guess is that signing a FA corner would have cost Ike his spot on the team. In that case the Steelers are no better off than they were when they started. They would still have one good corner, Troy, Mcfadden and Gay. They weren't spending big money on a FA corner and keeping Ike and signing Colon and signing Woodley and looking to extend Timmons and looking to extend Troy, etc.

The Steelers need big production form the front 7.

Pappy

I hear ya Pap. I just wish they wouldn't treat the cb position so cavalierly. The cbs had 5 ints. last season. 5. The previous season, they had 1, and that came in the last game of the season. The cbs have a total of 13 ints the last 3 years. That's paltry. Many teams have multiple guys that have had that many the last 3 seasons. If not for Troy, the secondary as a whole would have very few ints. I just feel like they needed to do something different at the position than going back to battle with the exact same cast of characters that continue to get exposed by QBs that can spread them out and carve them up. Hell, they could've signed Ike and then gone after a Carlos Rogers type instead of re-signing Will Gay.

Rockon

Slapstick
08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Guys, the Steelers pass defense was GOOD last year...

The reason that the Steelers lost the SB was simply this:

Turnovers

The Packers' defense forced three...the Steelers defense forced zero...

That doesn't fall only upon the shoulders of the DBs...

If the Steelers offense had just taken care of the ball a little bit better (1 less TO) or the Steelers D had been just 1 TO better...it probably would have been a different story...

It wasn't, but signing a FA cornerback from a different team won't be the difference...

rockonsteel
08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Guys, the Steelers pass defense was GOOD last year...

The reason that the Steelers lost the SB was simply this:

Turnovers

The Packers' defense forced three...the Steelers defense forced zero...

That doesn't fall only upon the shoulders of the DBs...

If the Steelers offense had just taken care of the ball a little bit better (1 less TO) or the Steelers D had been just 1 TO better...it probably would have been a different story...

It wasn't, but signing a FA cornerback from a different team won't be the difference...

Bottom line is, the Steelers secondary is sub-par, in particular the CBs. The CBs need to be upgraded. That didn't happen thiis offseason. I, for one, am extremely disappointed. They keep passing on CBs in early rounds of the draft(for whatever reason), and drafting guys in the 3rd, 4th, 5th round that never seem to pan out.

You see here's the thing. You say, the Steelers likely would have won the game had the defense gotten even one turnover(hard to argue with that). Well one way of getting a turnover is intercepting the ball. You know who should be the leading interceptors on your defense? It's generally the CBs. The Steelers had 21 total ints last season. Only 5 came from the CB position. You think that's bad? In 2009, they had a grand total of 1 int for the whole CB unit(that came in the last game of the season). That's incredulous to me.

Yet, with the exception of a couple random mid-round picks from this past draft, the Steelers are bringing back the same cast that accounted for a total of 6 ints the last two seasons. Wow! Hope they're not expecting different results.

So, one way to increase your defenses chance of causing the opposing offense to turn the ball over, would be to upgrade the position that is most heavily relied upon to cause them. Because the Steelers lack severely in that department.

Rockon

rockonsteel
08-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Let me add one more little tidbit for perspective......

D'Angelo Hall last season had 4 ints......in ONE GAME!

Steelers entire CB unit had 5 ints.......the WHOLE SEASON!!

And NONE in the SB.

Just sayin'...

Rockon

Slapstick
08-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Here is another perspective:

Pittsburgh Steelers Pass Defense = #12 in the league
Washington Redskins Pass Defense = #31 in the league

Pittsburgh Steelers Pass Defense Allowed 15 Passing TDs (only two teams allowed fewer)
Washington Redskins Pass Defense Allowed 22 Passing TDs

Teams Attempted 36.1 passes per game vs. the Redskins @ 7.24 YpA
Teams Attempted 37.1 (only 3 teams had more attempts against them) passes per game vs. the Steelers @ 5.7 YpA

Find a team with a better YpA defensively than the Steelers last year...

Just sayin'...

Slapstick
08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
BTW, Steelers passer rating defensively was #2 in the league behind Green Bay...

MaxAMillion
08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Part of me wishes we had lost to the Ravens in the playoffs so more focus could have been placed on the average offense which is not championship caliber. The Steelers would not have won the division if not for the defense. The defense shut down the Ravens the entire game in Baltimore and forced the game winning TD. Same thing happened in the playoffs where the offense turned the ball over repeatedly and helped give the Ravens a big lead. The defense had to get turnovers in the third quarter to turn the game around.

As soon as the season starts and the the offense gets shut down by Baltimore again, people may start to realize that the offense is a much bigger problem than the defense.

Djfan
08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Add to this the pussy rules and we have real issues.

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Part of me wishes we had lost to the Ravens in the playoffs

you need to wash your mouth out with soap... :D

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1006/blasphemy-blasphemy-challenge-day-demotivational-poster-1275397796.jpg