PDA

View Full Version : JD's 2011 Steeler-preseason....

JDSteeler
08-07-2011, 01:27 PM
..."What To Watch For", some other intersting tidbits.

I'm gonna start with the two weakest areas of the team, first.

SECONDARY:

The Steelers FO, and coaching staff apparently doesn't believe that the secondary needed a FA corner to come in and play opposite Ike. I, for one, thought that was unreasonable.
Considering the fact that the Steelers were beaten by teams that spread us out, and
our 3rd-4th CB couldn't cover their 3rd-4th WR. We found that the Pats*, Saints and
Packers could spread us out, and pretty much do what they wanted.

All I can possibly think of, is that, all off-season DL has be devising different coverages,
based upon the talent he has at his disposal, to fix the problem. DL must believe that BMac, and Gay are good enough, and will improve. DL must also think that Butler, and
KLew will be able to step it up. I dont believe DL would think that Rooks Allen, and Brown will be anything more than nickel/dime material at this point.

If this is all true, than any injury to the starters will be catastrophic. Especially if its Ike. Then we would all be looking at BMac, and Gay as starters. We mite be able to hide that for a game or two, but certainly not vs the best teams in the league.

I still believe that they could still bring in a late-camp FA CB to provide some help.

It's gonna be incumbent of the front 7, and Troy to play great. Nothing helps the secondary more than a great pass rush, and they will need it.

O-LINE:

As it stands in my mind, the starters from left to right are.......

LT - J. Scott

LG - Kemo. (I like Legursky better)

C - Pouncey

RG - Foster (Colon if Adams returns)

RT - Colon (Adams if returns)

This O-Line is solid, could get the job done if stay healthy, but it certainly isn't great. As far as depth goes...I'm down-right shaking with fear.

Is Hills the #1 Back-up LT, and who is Jolly?? I'd take Starks even out of shape over Both of these dudes. I guess the back-ups at RT would be C. Scott, and Gilbert. At LG, and RG that would leave Legursky, and Williams as the back-ups in the interior.

It's obvious to me that Adams and possibly Starks will be back if the back-up flop in the early preseason games.

OFFENSE:

The Game Plan vs teams like mentioed above, is to SCORE MORE!!!! That should have been our GP in the SB!! But of course, it wasn't!!!

DEFENSE:

The Game Plan is to stop the RUN, and prevent big plays, and get off on 3rd down.

DL has to be able to flip the script on a dime if things are not working out as drawn up.

To be continued...

JD

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

BradshawsHairdresser
08-07-2011, 11:23 PM
I doubt whether LeBeau has any major coverage changes that will "fix the problem." There's only so much that can be done to try to cover up for deficient talent in the backfield. Hopefully some of the young guys (Butler, Brown, Cortez Allen) will blossom, but if they even get to play as nickel or dime backs this season, that would be amazing (considering St. Richard's philosophy).

I can't agree that the OL is solid...right now I would rate it as one of the most questionable in the league. I think it has to be a major concern.

JDSteeler
08-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I doubt whether LeBeau has any major coverage changes that will "fix the problem." There's only so much that can be done to try to cover up for deficient talent in the backfield. Hopefully some of the young guys (Butler, Brown, Cortez Allen) will blossom, but if they even get to play as nickel or dime backs this season, that would be amazing (considering St. Richard's philosophy).

I can't agree that the OL is solid...right now I would rate it as one of the most questionable in the league. I think it has to be a major concern.

The starters are solid enough. To me the depth is now a problem....

JD

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2011, 12:44 AM

The starters are solid enough. To me the depth is now a problem....

JD

I don't consider Bmac to be solid as a starter, opponents are going to throw in his direction with success all season long just like they did last year.

and when I think of Jonathan Scott as a starting LT I think of Jason Taylor tackling our RB for a safety and when I think of Kemo starting at LG I visualize Ben's arm getting hit as he throws a pick-6 the other way.

our starters and our depth worries me in the secondary AND on the OL.