PDA

View Full Version : Jerricho Cotchery to visit Steelers

PSU_dropout43
08-06-2011, 04:59 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/06/cotchery-to-visit-steelers/)

Cotchery to visit Steelers

Pittsburgh continues to shore surprising concern regarding their wide receiver group.

Jerricho Cotchery will visit the Steelers Sunday, according to Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun. The Ravens and two other teams have expressed some level interest.

We say Pittsburgh’s level of interest is surprising because they have one of the deepest wideout groups in the league: Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown.

But Sanders could be out a while, and Ward isn’t healthy either. The Steelers also showed interest in Plaxico Burress before he went to the Jets.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Looks to me as though they ought to start showing some interest in some offensive linemen.

Discipline of Steel
08-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Looks to me as though they ought to start showing some interest in some offensive linemen.

:Agree Offensive tackle in particular

phillyesq
08-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Cotchery is a very nice complimentary piece. He would be a very nice third receiver, and he would be an adequate starter in a pinch if Ward misses a few games throughout the season.

As long as the terms are reasonable, I'd really like this move.

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2011, 07:53 PM
this will add to the Steelers' interest in Cotchery -

Update from Jim Wexell:

Injuries are mounting in Latrobe today: Jim Wexell said that Limas Sweed has a sprained shoulder, wrapped in ice.

TallyStiller
08-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I remember being upset that we didn't get him back when he came out of NC State years ago. Sort of reminds me of a Hines Ward Lite in that he's not the biggest, not the fastest, but tough as nails and always seems to find a way to get open and make a play. Hope we get him if the money is reasonable. Could help ease Hines out over the next year or two.

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2011, 08:27 PM
AUGUST 6, 2011

Ravens could turn to Cotchery after losing Mason to Jets

Derrick Mason chose to sign with the New York Jets over the Ravens, who could now turn to Jerricho Cotchery to provide experience to the wide receiver group.

Mason, 37, was the Ravens' all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards. The Ravens released him last week to create $4.5 million in salary-cap room.

“After a lot of very thoughtful and careful consideration, conversations with my family and prayer, I have decided to sign with the New York Jets," Mason said. "I’m looking forward to working under Rex and rejoining some familiar faces."

The Ravens have now lost out on two wide receivers -- Malcom Floyd and Mason -- in a span of 24 hours. The next receiver on their list is presumably Cotchery.

But Cotchery is visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, according to a league source. The Ravens are one of four teams who are seriously interested in him, the source added.

Cotchery, 29, had 41 catches for 433 yards and two touchdowns for the Jets last season. He has expressed interest in the Ravens, a league source said.

From 2006 to 2008, Cotchery had at least 70 catches.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... _jets.html (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/ravens_could_turn_to_cotchery_after_losing_mason_t o_jets.html)

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I like this possibility. Although I like our WR corps when healthy, the fact remains that they are not. Jerricho would be an ideal #3 who could also handle starting duties if called upon. And he's a solid locker room guy to boot. And keeping him from the Ravens would be an extra added bonus.

:ratsuck

AkronSteel
08-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Cotchery would be a very good addition. He is a versatile WR who would instantly make the team better. He would be a good compliment to Wallace and Ward. He is a sneaky type of player.....sneaky on the field and in the stat book. I would be happy to bring him aboard at the right price!! If the team somehow adds him then they will have one of the best WR corps in the league!!

fordfixer
08-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Can he play Offensive tackle :lol:

Chadman
08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Cotchery is a really good, sure handed chain mover. When you put him in a rotation with Ward, Wallace, Sanders. Brown & (maybe) Sweed- he's a nice fit.

Also, looking forward- he could realistically be Ward's replacement as the "sure hands" guy when you need one. This would allow the Steelers the option of not having to draft Ward's replacement immediately.

MaxAMillion
08-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Sweed is injured again...what a shock. Sign Cotchery and improve this WR unit. The Sanders injury concerns me greatly. I was hoping he could step up and be a true number two WR. Ward is just an H back at this point.

This passing offense could very well be worse than last year if the team doesn't come up with a legitimate number two WR.

Flasteel
08-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I like this possibility. Although I like our WR corps when healthy, the fact remains that they are not. Jerricho would be an ideal #3 who could also handle starting duties if called upon. And he's a solid locker room guy to boot. And keeping him from the Ravens would be an extra added bonus.

No thanks. Any contract we would sign him to would virtually lock down the number 3 spot. I'm excited to see Manny Sanders in that role this year, and even Antonio Brown looks more than viable. Both of these guys have more explosion and speed to get separation from the off coverage they'll see out of the slot.

Despite the rash of injuries to the group, I really like the depth and skill set of our current WR corps. We have veteran savvy, sure hands, precise route-running, elite speed, short-area explosion, and if Sweed comes around, we've got the tall down-field target. Collectively, they compliment each other nicely and separately they provide multiple ways you can comfortably attack a defense.

Cotchery brings nothing we don't already have aside from added experience and sure hands. We get that twice over already with Ward and Miller in the line-up together on any given play. Take out Sanders and you lose the explosion off the line and out of cuts (not to mention some pretty sure hands). Take Sweed out in 4-receiver sets and you lose a huge mismatch on a nickel or dime corner.

Although I agree that it would be nice to foil Ozzie's Plan C (or whatever he was on) at WR, I've gotta say no to Cotchery.

Oviedo
08-07-2011, 11:29 AM

No thanks. Any contract we would sign him to would virtually lock down the number 3 spot. I'm excited to see Manny Sanders in that role this year, and even Antonio Brown looks more than viable. Both of these guys have more explosion and speed to get separation from the off coverage they'll see out of the slot.

Despite the rash of injuries to the group, I really like the depth and skill set of our current WR corps. We have veteran savvy, sure hands, precise route-running, elite speed, short-area explosion, and if Sweed comes around, we've got the tall down-field target. Collectively, they compliment each other nicely and separately they provide multiple ways you can comfortably attack a defense.

Cotchery brings nothing we don't already have aside from added experience and sure hands. We get that twice over already with Ward and Miller in the line-up together on any given play. Take out Sanders and you lose the explosion off the line and out of cuts (not to mention some pretty sure hands). Take Sweed out in 4-receiver sets and you lose a huge mismatch on a nickel or dime corner.

Although I agree that it would be nice to foil Ozzie's Plan C (or whatever he was on) at WR, I've gotta say no to Cotchery.

:Agree Time to let the young 'uns shine instead of relying on more expensive vets.

phillyesq
08-07-2011, 12:06 PM

:Agree Time to let the young 'uns shine instead of relying on more expensive vets.

Of course. We get it. Veterans are terrible. The rookies and second year players would all be better. If only we could get Joe Burnett to break his commitment to bagging groceries, he'd be an all pro.

If the Steelers had to play a game today, the starting WRs would be Wallace and Brown. Behind them, we'd have Battle and, well, nobody.

Sweed cannot be counted on. Until he gets on the field, the same holds true for Sanders. I like the potential of Brown, but early in camp, reports were that Ben had to tell him where to line up.

In the slot, as much as you need explosion, you need somebody who understands coverage and hot routes and is able to act as a security blanket. Cotchery can help the team in that regard and also work with the younger receivers who, when healthy, will still get reps.

Flasteel
08-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Of course. We get it. Veterans are terrible. The rookies and second year players would all be better. If only we could get Joe Burnett to break his commitment to bagging groceries, he'd be an all pro.

If the Steelers had to play a game today, the starting WRs would be Wallace and Brown. Behind them, we'd have Battle and, well, nobody.

Sweed cannot be counted on. Until he gets on the field, the same holds true for Sanders. I like the potential of Brown, but early in camp, reports were that Ben had to tell him where to line up.

In the slot, as much as you need explosion, you need somebody who understands coverage and hot routes and is able to act as a security blanket. Cotchery can help the team in that regard and also work with the younger receivers who, when healthy, will still get reps.

I think you were targeting Ovi with that crack about the vets, but since you're still taking the opposite stance as I am, I thought I'd jump back in. :D

None of the injuries in the WR corps appear to be serious, so I don't think you can trot out the starting line-up right now as an argument. If we were simply talking about brining in a body to compete for a roster spot, I think the competition would be a good thing. The reality however, would see Cotchery commanding too much of a salary and/or guaranteed money for him to be anything less than the number 3 guy. That to me is Sanders. If Sander's foot problems or other injuries force him out, then Antonio Brown is still there.

We're still trying to restructure deals to get our core players under long-term contracts and get below the salary cap this year. Why would we be chasing down mid-level free agents at a position where we have very little need for starter quality or depth? There is a market for this guy's services and that alone will probably drive his price beyond our limited reach. Throw in the opportunity for playing time, and it's hard to see how we could outbid any other teams for his services.

Move along Jerricho...move along. :tt2

calmkiller
08-07-2011, 01:08 PM
If all we need is another body just bring el back.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I didn't realize that Cotchery had off-season back surgery...

Steelers court former Jets wide receiver Cotchery

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 7, 2011

A week after wooing Plaxico Burress, the Steelers are meeting with another free agent wide receiver.

Jerricho Cotchery, an eight-year NFL veteran, is visiting the Steelers today at St. Vincent. Cotchery had been with the New York Jets since 2004 but the 6-foot, 207-pounder became expendable, ironically enough, after the Jets signed Burress.

Cotchery, 29, underwent back surgery during the offseason after catching 41 passes for 433 yards and two touchdowns in 2010.

His best season came in 2007 when Cotchery caught 82 passes for 1,130 yards and two touchdowns.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1UO2CA1Zs (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750462.html#ixzz1UO2CA1Zs)

DukieBoy
08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
IMO we don't need Cotchery, unless one of the other WR's is likely done for the season. Cotchery had back surgery, may be physically more "iffy" even than Sweed. We still have Tyler Grisham who knows the offense and may be capable of filling the gap if one develops as a 4th receiver. Sweed's shoulder sounds to be only tweeked, and he had been showing well in camp other than the tweeks. And he knows this is his time and the window will close if he does not fulfill expectations. I continue to hold high hopes and expectations for him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Cotchery was released by the Jets because he failed a physical. For those who think that we need another WR due to injuries, why bring in a guy who is not in football shape?

flippy
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I'd like to see Grisham get an opportunity over bringing in Cotchery.

Call me crazy, but I think Grisham could be a great go to WR in the post Ward era.

Chadman
08-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Is it just me- or does it sound like Arnaz Battle is having a pretty sound camp?

I mean- this is a guy that lead his team in receptions when he was a 49er, he's 6'1", solid enough player & plays ST to boot.

Is he a bad #5 WR option??

phillyesq
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
The physical issues temper my excitement for bringing in Cotchery. I didn't realize that he had back surgery.

In any event, Bouchette reports that he left Latrobe without a contract.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Ravens: Ravens passing on Jerricho Cotchery

Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011
By Aaron Wilson, Times Staff Writer

OWINGS MILLS -- The Baltimore Ravens have decided to pass on veteran wide receivrer Jerricho Cotchery.

Cotchery visited the Ravens and took a physical on Tuesday, but isn't being offered a contract.

A former New York Jets starter, Cotchery passed his physical. However, he underwent offseason back surgery and failed his exit physical with the Jets.

Cotchery attended practice and met with general manager Ozzie Newsome and coach John Harbaugh one day after visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Neither AFC North team made a move to sign him, though.

That suggests that Cotchery might not be completely ready to play and that both teams want to evaluate their younger wide receivers at this time.

The Ravens drafted Torrey Smith (Maryland) in the second round and Tandon Doss (Indiana) in the fourth round.

The latest wide receiver linked to the Ravens on the NFL rumor mill is Buffalo Bills veteran Lee Evans. However, Evans might not be on the trading block.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sport ... 03286.html (http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/ravens/ravens-ravens-passing-on-jerricho-cotchery/article_00699fd6-c3c5-11e0-9164-001cc4c03286.html)

phillyesq
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Per Bouchette, Ravens passed and he has no other visits lined up. He thinks it is possible that he'll end up in PGH after all.

I'm a bit wary of a guy that the Ravens passed on, since they have no depth at all at WR, but he's mentioned as a potential #5 in Pittsburgh. If he'd replace Battle on the roster, I'd have no problem with that at all.