PDA

View Full Version : Steelers turn focus toward Polamalu contract

fordfixer
08-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Steelers turn focus toward Polamalu contract
By Ralph N. Paulk and Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 6, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 50314.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750314.html)

With LaMarr Woodley's contract done, the Steelers will turn their efforts toward signing safety Troy Polamalu to a long-term deal. Polamalu, who will become an unrestricted free agent following the season, signed a 5-year, $33 million deal in 2007 that made him the highest paid safety in the league at the time.

"My only comment is, because I know things can really get misconstrued a lot, is that everything regarding our contract talks will stay between the Rooneys and my agent," Polamalu said. "Other than that, I would love to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler." When asked if talks have already begun, Polamalu smirked before saying: "I'd love to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Polamalu, 30, is entering his ninth year. He would like his next contract to be his last.

"That all depends on the years," Polamalu said. "If it is a one-year (contract) of course it wouldn't be." San Diego signed safety Eric Weddle to a 5-year, $40 million deal last week that should increase Polamalu's market value.

» Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders had an X-ray on his injured left foot and required minor surgery Tuesday. He was able to remove the protective walking boot.

"It feels good," Sanders said. "It is just a progression."

Sanders had surgery in April for a small stress fracture where he had a screw inserted into his foot. Doctors did a procedure Tuesday to try to expedite the healing. Sanders is expected to miss three weeks.

» With temperatures soaring at St. Vincent College, undrafted rookie free agent defensive end Ty Boyle is handling the weather nicely. That's saying something about a kid who went to North Dakota and grew up in the self-proclaimed 'Ice Box of the Nation' — International Falls, Minn., where the temperature once got to minus-40 degrees.

"Winters are definitely cold there," Boyle said. "I don't think they cancel school unless it is negative-30."

Boyle, the brother-in-law of Penguins President and CEO David Morehouse, hopes to catch on with the Steelers, but knows the odds are stacked against him.

"It's just cool to be in the same room and learning from Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith," Boyle said.

INSIDE THE ROPES

» Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher walked into Latrobe Memorial Stadium amid the cheers of adoring fans. He tipped his hat before strutting on the field. Cowher chatted with coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert. The CBS analyst signed autographs before a live radio show. Cowher pushed back against talk of returning to the sidelines.

"I'm looking forward to getting back in the booth," said Cowher, who added it was good to be back at high school stadium on a Friday night. "I don't have any plans. I take it year to year."

» In a spirited backs-on-backers drill, running backs Mewelde Moore, Jamie McCoy and Baron Batch stood out. Batch, considered a long shot for a roster spot, didn't give an inch even against linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who earlier this week signed a $61 million deal.

» Wide receiver Antonio Brown is fired up and ready to go. Brown, vying for the punt-return duties, turned heads with several catches, including a circus grab near the sidelines. He also beat two defenders in the corner of the end zone in pulling in a touchdown pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

» For the first this preseason, the kickers worked their legs in drill. Shaun Suisham and Swayze Waters split the uprights consistently. Suisham is expected to win the job, but Waters showed off his powerful leg during kickoff and field goal drills.

» Quarterback Byron Leftwich ran the two-minute drill to near perfection. But got plenty of help from running back Isaac Redman.

» Former Wisconsin running back John Clay struggled some in the backs-on-backers drill. He did shine some in the control scrimmage. He appeared to have a better grasp of the offense than some expected.

» Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders sat out practice again. But he was among number of players signing autographs for a crowd of nearly 5,000.

» Defensive back Keenan Lewis practiced for the first time.

Rookie WATCH

BARAKA ATKINS

Position: Linebacker

Measurables: 6-foot-4, 271 pounds

College: Miami (Fla.), 4th-year free agent

Competition: Atkins spent time in the 49ers, Seahawks and Broncos camps the past few years after being selected in the 4th round of the 2007 draft by Seattle. In a crowded position, Atkins could sneak in as a backup to LaMarr Woodley.

Camp moment: During Friday's night practice at Latrobe's Memorial Stadium, Atkins looked solid in 'backs on backers when he beat veteran tight end John Gilmore cleanly almost knocking him to the ground, then beat him again on a re-do. Atkins won a couple more 1-on-1s, including one against camp phenom Baron Batch.

Quotable: "This is an ongoing month long test throughout the preseason to just try to come out on top. All I can do is put the best work out there and see where it goes."

Read more: Steelers turn focus toward Polamalu contract - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1UDjc8StT (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750314.html#ixzz1UDjc8StT)

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Safety Polamalu, Steelers in holding pattern

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 24, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-23/0824PolamaluinsideCAP-b.jpg

Within a span of three weeks, the Steelers handed out more than $138 million in contracts to their second-ranked defense, and the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year didn't get one cent.

Troy Polamalu will become an unrestricted free agent following the season if the Steelers don't get a deal done with the three-time All-Pro safety within the next two weeks.

And with the Steelers so close to the salary cap this year, Polamalu likely will have to wait until after the season to get a long-term deal.

Either way, Polamalu isn't talking specifics.

"I'd love to be here; I'd love to retire a Steeler," Polamalu said. "All comments regarding the contract stay between the Steelers and my agent. Sorry."

The Steelers want to keep Polamalu but might have to put the franchise tag on him in March. The franchise tag for safeties next year is projected to be about $9 million. Polamalu is in the final year of a deal that paid him $6.6 million a season.

"To be honest, it is part of the (collective bargaining agreement) that all of us agreed on," Polamalu said of the franchise tag. "It's part of the system."

Polamalu first needs to show he can stay healthy. He missed 11 games in 2009 with a knee injury and missed two more last year, when he suffered an Achilles injury that troubled him the second half of the season.

The 30-year-old has missed 21 games over the past five years after not missing any his first three years.

"We are not worried about Troy," receiver Hines Ward said. "I guess everybody expects him to make a play every game. He is making plays when he is not making plays."

The Steelers have taken a cautious approach to Polamalu in the preseason because of his injury issues. Polamalu was given days off during training camp and didn't play the first preseason game against Washington.

He returned last week against the Eagles and showed that he was 100 percent.

"I would be completely fine if Troy showed up Sunday morning and went home, and we never saw him again (until the next game)," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He is that good. He is that good of a player that he can just show up and play games and still be one of the best, if not the best in the game."

Polamalu didn't have a tackle against the Eagles, but he was all over the field. He had two pass breakups and an interception that he returned 36 yards.

"It is back to business as usual for Troy," linebacker James Farrior said. "He is making the plays that we expect him to make on a normal basis, even though they are not normal plays for him."

Polamalu wasn't able to practice much down the stretch last year. Instead of on-the-field

training, he turned more to watching videotape.

That created mixed results, the most notable coming in the Super Bowl when he an?tici?pated a route by Greg Jennings that ended up turning into a touchdown.

"I felt like I got a little too much tape where you start thinking and anticipating a little too much," Polamalu said. "Absolutely, I need practice. The most important thing is to get your eyes accustomed to seeing the right things and snapping into your keys and react to your keys as fast as possible."

And when healthy, Polamalu is a difference-maker for the Steelers, who are 6-7 the past two years with him out of the lineup.

"He's fresh," Ward said. "It is just a matter of keeping him healthy now."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1VunzPBKF (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753067.html#ixzz1VunzPBKF)

steelblood
08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
salary cap schmalary cap. if they want to get it done, they will. apparently, they don't intend to.

Oviedo
08-24-2011, 08:23 AM
salary cap schmalary cap. if they want to get it done, they will. apparently, they don't intend to.

It's really going to be all about how healthy Troy stays this year. It just makes sense for a 30 year old player who has missed 21 games over the past 5 years.

Also, to keep Troy you will have to say good bye to guys like Hines, Farrior and Aaron Smith. More money for Troy has to come from somewhere.

steelblood
08-24-2011, 08:51 AM

It's really going to be all about how healthy Troy stays this year. It just makes sense for a 30 year old player who has missed 21 games over the past 5 years.

Also, to keep Troy you will have to say good bye to guys like Hines, Farrior and Aaron Smith. More money for Troy has to come from somewhere.

My point is only that the contract could be done and fit under the salary cap this season. The salary cap is bad excuse.

I have no problem with them waiting. But, the salary cap isn't what is holding them back.

RuthlessBurgher
08-24-2011, 09:15 AM

My point is only that the contract could be done and fit under the salary cap this season. The salary cap is bad excuse.

I have no problem with them waiting. But, the salary cap isn't what is holding them back.

They just gave Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, and Lawrence Timmons huge raises coming off of an uncapped year (we apparently started out this year about $10 million over). And the cap this year is essentially what the cap was back in 2009 (teams are used to it going up on a steady basis, so it was a real struggle to get under the cap this season...cutting Starks, Adams, and El plus restructuring Ben, Harrison, and Keisel). Sure, the cap can be massaged somewhat (we have shown that we have been able to do that so far this offseason), but you can't just magically squeeze in a FOURTH monster contract like you are snapping your fingers. Ovie is right...Polamalu's additional money on a new big-money contract in 2012 will likely come from guys who retire after this season (possibly Aaron Smith, James Farrior, or Hines Ward).

feltdizz
08-24-2011, 09:45 AM

The same thing was said about Woodley and Ike last year... and both were resigned.

I think after resigning those 2 and Timmons they will wait to see how the market looks before negotiating a contract with the best safety in football.

Oviedo
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM

They just gave Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, and Lawrence Timmons huge raises coming off of an uncapped year (we apparently started out this year about $10 million over). And the cap this year is essentially what the cap was back in 2009 (teams are used to it going up on a steady basis, so it was a real struggle to get under the cap this season...cutting Starks, Adams, and El plus restructuring Ben, Harrison, and Keisel). Sure, the cap can be massaged somewhat (we have shown that we have been able to do that so far this offseason), but you can't just magically squeeze in a FOURTH monster contract like you are snapping your fingers. Ovie is right...Polamalu's additional money on a new big-money contract in 2012 will likely come from guys who retire after this season (possibly Aaron Smith, James Farrior, or Hines Ward).

I think that losing Hines, Farrior, Smith and Larry Foote would gain you about $10-12M in salary cap space (maybe someone has specifics). Adding on to what Troy makes this year. I think Troy's cap hit is about $8M this season so that would free up the dollars to give him another few million for an increase.

One complicating factor may be the large number of contracts we had to restructure this year that may have pushed some dollars out into the future.

Let's not forget that under his initial Round 3 draftee contract, Mike Wallace will also be getting a huge raise.

steelblood
08-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Troy already has a significant cap hit this season. He can be extended without any added salary for this season. His base salary can be reduced to offset any additional prorated bonus.

Again, I don't mind waiting. But, the cap is not the reason they are waiting.

steelblood
08-24-2011, 11:56 AM

The same thing was said about Woodley and Ike last year... and both were resigned.

I think after resigning those 2 and Timmons they will wait to see how the market looks before negotiating a contract with the best safety in football.

I'm not saying they don't intend to resign him at all. I'm saying that the salary cap is a poor excuse. The Steelers won't resign him now because they are concerned about his health. They can't say that so the cap is blamed.

feltdizz
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM

I'm not saying they don't intend to resign him at all. I'm saying that the salary cap is a poor excuse. Waiting makes sense for the organization given Troy's injury history.

Plenty of people, myself included, said if we wanted to resign Woodley and Ike we would have already done it.

A good excuse is still an excuse...

Oviedo
08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
link to current cap numbers

http://burgh.us/2tq

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Strength at SS

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Aug 22, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/96/962855.jpg

Carnell Lake and Troy Polamalu share more than a goal. Read about the keys to their success as playmaking strong safeties for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ask Troy Polamalu about his new position coach, Carnell Lake, and what Polamalu knows about Lake’s legacy as a strong safety with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Polamalu begs for forgiveness.

“I’m the worst football historian,” Polamalu said, “so, nothing at all, to be honest.”

But when Polamalu, the USC grad, is reminded that Lake played at UCLA, the football historian in Polamalu bursts through as if he’s breaking up a screen pass.

“He was 1-3 against USC,” Polamalu said with a big smile.

Polamalu and Lake are the two greats who’ve roamed the strong safety position for the Steelers since Donnie Shell’s 10-year reign as starter ended in 1987.

Lake started at the position in his first game with the Steelers as a high second-round draft pick in 1989. He remained there until the eighth week of the 1995 season, when he began shuttling between cornerback and strong safety until leaving as a 32-year-old free agent in 1999.

The Steelers traded up for Polamalu in the 2003 draft, but he didn’t start as a rookie. In fact, many called him a bust before Tim Lewis, upon his termination as defensive coordinator at the end of the season, warned to the contrary that Polamalu would be a great player, as long as he stayed healthy. According to Lewis, strong safety was, and is, the most physically demanding position in the Steelers’ defensive scheme.

“It is,” said Lake. “[D!ck] LeBeau used to call me ‘The Clean-up Guy.’ Everybody would take care of their gaps in front of me and then the ball would wind back to me and I’d clean it up. And so after a while it does wear on you.”

Lake said it with a chuckle, and it’s easy to chuckle now that his prize performer, Polamalu, showed himself healthy and back to speed Thursday night against Philadelphia. Polamalu is last season’s NFL Defensive Player of the Year, but the spectacular season ended with a whimper due to a Week 14 Achilles’ tendon injury.

For now, Polamalu is back and healthy and giving the Steelers and defensive coordinator LeBeau the signature piece of their scheme. Lake was asked why strong safeties excel in LeBeau’s scheme.

“That’s a long, complex answer, but I’ll give you the short of it,” Lake said. “It mainly allows flexibility for Troy to do what he does, and I think that’s the biggest part of the defense for a playmaker. It’s LeBeau’s willingness to let Troy improvise within the defense, as long as it doesn’t hurt the overall scheme. I think that’s where Troy’s been able to be an artist at what he does. That’s why he’s so good, in my opinion.”

Polamalu, in 91 regular-season starts, all under LeBeau and all at strong safety, has 6 sacks and 27 interceptions.

Lake, in 123 regular-season starts as Steelers strong safety, 66 of those under LeBeau, had 16˝ sacks and 11 interceptions.

“I did have some flexibility, but it was a process in the making,” Lake said. “I think Troy is probably more instinctual at the position, maybe even because he played it longer than I did. I just started playing it when I got to the pros. My first few years, I was just learning how to play defensive back. Troy came in ready to go and he’s developed ever since. Fortunately for me, and for Troy, we were able to get into a defense under LeBeau that allowed us to thrive. I really started to take off once LeBeau came here as my defensive backs coach.”

Lake, the former linebacker, always felt comfortable blitzing. He set an NFL record for safeties with three sacks in a game in 1997 (vs. Arizona). Polamalu matched that record in a 2005 game against Houston.

“For a defensive back to get one sack, you’re happy,” Lake said. “To get two, you’re like, ‘Wow, that’s a great game.’ But to get three, it’s like ‘What’s happening here?’ It’s kind of like getting three holes-in-one or something.

“A lot of the credit really goes to LeBeau in terms of allowing his strong safety to blitz that much to get the sacks.”

And now LeBeau’s two great strong safeties are together in the same room: Lake as coach and Polamalu as player.

“It’s pretty fascinating,” said Polamalu. “Coach Lake comes in and just gives a whole new perspective on actually growing up and playing in this defense under coach LeBeau. I’ve learned a lot of really fascinating things, so he’s given me a lot of perspective on how offenses attack our defense and whatnot.”

Said Lake: “He’s already established. He already knows the game. You see a few things here and you tell him. He probably already knows it but it’s just a reminder.

“I definitely have respect for him. I respect his game and he shows the same to me. So far we’re going great.”

Except for that UCLA-USC thing.

“Yeah,” Lake said. “But we don’t talk about that.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1098365.html

Jooser
08-25-2011, 04:00 AM
WOOT! Git er DUN!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/polamalu-si-cover.jpg

hawaiiansteel
08-25-2011, 04:58 PM
TIMMONS Vs. POLAMALU

written by Mark Madden

http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/2094/08/2094_1314210641.jpg

LB Lawrence Timmons just signed a six-year, $50m contract with the Steelers. S Troy Polamalu is left suckin' hind you-know-what.

The Steelers didn't CHOOSE between Timmons and Polamalu. I believe their objective is to keep both. I believe they WILL keep both. Slapping the franchise tag on Polamalu next season is one option, though Troy won't like that. Cutting James Harrison to clear cap space is another possibility. Even if Harrison hasn't worn out his welcome in Pittsburgh, last season he showed signs of being worn out, period.

Regardless of the eventual outcome, Timmons was clearly the Steelers' higher priority. The question is: WHY?

Timmons is 25, Polamalu 30. But that seems Timmons' only edge.

Polamalu has won countless honors and was NFL Defensive Player of the Year JUST LAST SEASON. Polamalu is perceived as being prone to injury, and was hobbled during last year's playoffs, but missed just two games last season. Polamalu was sidelined for 11 games in 2009, but has otherwise missed just 10 games via injury ON HIS CAREER. Given his collisional style, that's reasonable.

Polamalu is a GAME-CHANGER. One of a kind. Perhaps the BEST SAFETY EVER.

Timmons has won ZERO honors. He's not even appeared in a Pro Bowl. Polamalu has been in SIX. Timmons is a very good LB, but plays in a defense designed to funnel tackles his way. He has NOWHERE NEAR the impact Polamalu does. Timmons may be only the sixth- or seventh-best player on the Steelers defense.

So, why did the Steelers ink Timmons while Polamalu waits in line?

Age, as mentioned, is probably a factor. Timmons and LaMarr Woodley are the only starters under 30 on the Steelers D. Each just got PAID.

But the NFL isn't about the FUTURE. The NFL is always about TODAY. Right now, Polamalu is, by far, the superior player. The Steelers don't need to be concerned until season's conclusion. They have first dibs on Polamalu. It's not a PROBLEM. It's just a CURIOSITY. But letting Polamalu walk would be A MISTAKE.

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/supergeni ... le=9016803 (http://www.1059thex.com/pages/supergenius.html?article=9016803)

BradshawsHairdresser
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe the Steelers don't value him quite as highly as most of us do.

They showed they don't want to part with Timmons or Woodley for a few years. Obviously, they feel those two are a higher priority in their plans than Troy is.

If Troy misses significant time this season due to injury, I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers let him walk. Not saying I would agree with that move, but it wouldn't shock me.

birtikidis
08-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Maybe the Steelers don't value him quite as highly as most of us do.

They showed they don't want to part with Timmons or Woodley for a few years. Obviously, they feel those two are a higher priority in their plans than Troy is.

If Troy misses significant time this season due to injury, I wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers let him walk. Not saying I would agree with that move, but it wouldn't shock me.
I think it's more like: do you want to franchise Woodley for a year and then wait to extend him next year? no, terrible idea. Franchise him and then extend him same year.
who do you want to franchise next year Timmons or Troy? well what is the average for the top 5 lbers compared to the average for the top 5 safeties? I'd put my money on linebackers having a higher average. so if you franchise troy, your going to have a lower hit on your salary cap. That will allow you to use that money to keep Wallace. Seems simple to me.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Using the franchise tag on Troy would be a bargain, because he is clearly Head and Shoulders above all other safeties... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2011, 07:10 PM
TIMMONS Vs. POLAMALU

written by Mark Madden

LB Lawrence Timmons just signed a six-year, $50m contract with the Steelers. S Troy Polamalu is left suckin' hind you-know-what.

The Steelers didn't CHOOSE between Timmons and Polamalu. I believe their objective is to keep both. I believe they WILL keep both. Slapping the franchise tag on Polamalu next season is one option, though Troy won't like that. Cutting James Harrison to clear cap space is another possibility. Even if Harrison hasn't worn out his welcome in Pittsburgh, last season he showed signs of being worn out, period.

Regardless of the eventual outcome, Timmons was clearly the Steelers' higher priority. The question is: WHY?

Polamalu has won countless honors and was NFL Defensive Player of the Year JUST LAST SEASON. Polamalu is perceived as being prone to injury, and was hobbled during last year's playoffs, but missed just two games last season. Polamalu was sidelined for 11 games in 2009, but has otherwise missed just 10 games via injury ON HIS CAREER. Given his collisional style, that's reasonable.

Timmons has won ZERO honors. He's not even appeared in a Pro Bowl. Polamalu has been in SIX. Timmons is a very good LB, but plays in a defense designed to funnel tackles his way. He has NOWHERE NEAR the impact Polamalu does. Timmons may be only the sixth- or seventh-best player on the Steelers defense.

Age, as mentioned, is probably a factor. Timmons and LaMarr Woodley are the only starters under 30 on the Steelers D. Each just got PAID.

But the NFL isn't about the FUTURE. The NFL is always about TODAY. Right now, Polamalu is, by far, the superior player. The Steelers don't need to be concerned until season's conclusion. They have first dibs on Polamalu. It's not a PROBLEM. It's just a CURIOSITY. But letting Polamalu walk would be A MISTAKE.

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/supergeni ... le=9016803 (http://www.1059thex.com/pages/supergenius.html?article=9016803)

Holy crap...Mark "Barfolomew" Madden writes with a whole bunch of words in ALL-CAPS for emphasis??? Remember that toolbag who came on here and incessently rambled on and on with the same ALL-CAPS emphasis placed on certain words throughout his mindless babble? I wonder if Comic Book Guy Madden was that guy, posting on here for a while. Wouldn't put it past the attention whore...

flippy
08-25-2011, 07:54 PM
TIMMONS Vs. POLAMALU

written by Mark Madden

Holy crap...Mark "Barfolomew" Madden writes with a whole bunch of words in ALL-CAPS for emphasis??? Remember that toolbag who came on here and incessently rambled on and on with the same ALL-CAPS emphasis placed on certain words throughout his mindless babble? I wonder if Comic Book Guy Madden was that guy, posting on here for a while. Wouldn't put it past the attention whore...

Those CAPS are really annoying now that you point them out. :)

Wonder which 6 guys he ranks ahead of Timmons? And which 4 are worse?

NJ-STEELER
08-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Don't know if I go that far down

But James, lamaar.Troy. Casey all have a much bigger impact then timmons

Without one of those guys in there, the defense would suffer a lot more then if it were missing Timmons.
And you can probaly make an argument for Ike as well