PDA

View Full Version : 3 More Big Contracts To Get Done

fordfixer
08-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Steelers: 3 More Big Contracts To Get Done
By: Mike Vukovcan
August 5, 2011 8:13 AM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/08/ ... -get-done/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/08/05/steelers-3-more-big-contracts-to-get-done/)

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- One down, 3 more to go for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

This morning, linebacker LaMarr Woodley announced that he’s signed a new 6-year, $61 million extension.

The team won’t have to use the franchise tag on Woodley as they did in 2010.

The front office won’t be able to relax because they still have 3 important members of the team to lock-up.

Set to hit free agency next season are linebacker Lawrence Timmons, safety Troy Polamalu and wide receiver Mike Wallace (restricted).

In 2013, running back Rashard Mendenhall will become a free agent and he won’t be cheap to re-sign.

Not having any knowledge of the negotiations, I suspect Timmons will be the easiest of the three to sign.

Wallace and Polamalu could get tricky for different reasons.

The Steelers would be paying Polamalu for what he’s already accomplished while Wallace is just entering the prime of his career.

The former 3rd round pick has become one of the most explosive wide receivers in the NFL.

Last season, Wallace led all NFL receivers in 100-yard games and also most TD’s of more than 29+ yards.

Polamalu is a different situation than Wallace.

He’s a critical member of the defense and when healthy, is one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

The question the Steelers have to ask themselves is how much are they willing to spend on an often injured Polamalu?

It’s hard to imagine Polamalu wearing any other uniform than the black and gold of the Steelers.

Give us your feedback, in order how should the Steelers prioritize Polamalu, Wallace and Timmons?

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2011, 02:00 AM
One down, 3 more to go for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

This morning, linebacker LaMarr Woodley announced that he’s signed a new 6-year, $61 million extension.

I would include Ike Taylor and say two down and 3 more to go.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-06-2011, 02:03 AM
no way i throw big $$$ at mendenhall.

i doubt the steelers will either.

Snatch98
08-06-2011, 03:12 AM
no way i throw big $$$ at mendenhall.

i doubt the steelers will either.

I'd definitely pay Mendenhall. He runs hard, has great vision and has only gotten better with each season. I imagine he'll be lights out this season and they'll certain begin the process of resigning him. No way would I let him walk. However for the sake of argument what the hell is your alternative? Draft another tailback? Because I sure as hell don't want Redman running the show. I like Redman but I don't like Redman as a starter.

Chadman
08-06-2011, 11:29 AM
RB's are a little easier to replace than a lot of other positions- and rookie RB's can be quite effective- more than most other positions.

I agree- I wouldn't fall over myself trying to re-sign Mendy, regardless of how good he is. Re-sign him if you can- but not at the expense of Polamalu, Timmons or Wallace.

papillon
08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
With the devaluing of the running back position due to the rules changes that favor throwing the football 60% - 65% of the time throwing big money at a running back isn't going to happen in the NFL in general. Of course, in Mendenhall's case he can catch which is a skill that a running is going to have to have to be marketable to the NFL. Regardless, of Mendenhall, Timmons, Polamalu and Wallace, Mendenhall is the one the Steelers can most afford to not sign.

Running backs may become extinct in the future and they will simply be receivers that line up in the backfield.

Pappy

Chucktownsteeler
08-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I wonder if the Steelers will go "all out" to sign Mendenhall top a new contract.

ChucktownSteeler

SteelBucks
08-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Per 93.7, the Steelers are working with Polamalu's agent on a long term deal. They hope to have Polamalu signed before the start of the season.

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Polamalu, Timmons, and Wallace are all special players, and each would be exceedingly difficult to replace.

Mendenhall is a solid player, and running backs tend to be the most replaceable commodities on NFL rosters.

I'm not saying we won't give Mendenhall a second contract (this will be his 4th NFL season and he is still only 24 years old), but he won't break the bank like 24, 56, 43, 94, and 17.

Running backs are undervalued (unless you are stupid like the Carolina Panthers and give injury-plaged DeAngelo Williams a 5 year deal worth $43 million, $21 million of which is guaranteed...when they would have been just fine with Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson).

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Per 93.7, the Steelers are working with Polamalu's agent on a long term deal. They hope to have Polamalu signed before the start of the season.

Steelers look to extend Troy Polamalu

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 7, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37109058E.jpg

In 2007, with Troy Polamalu heading into the final season of his contract, the Steelers locked him up through 2011 with a five-year, $33 million extension. Now Polamalu is heading into the final season of that contract, and the Steelers want to lock him up again.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Steelers will turn their efforts toward a long-term deal with Polamalu that could be the final contract of Polamalu’s career.

“My only comment is, because I know things can really get misconstrued a lot, is that everything regarding our contract talks will stay between the Rooneys and my agent,” Polamalu said. “Other than that, I would love to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler.”

Polamalu’s agent said last month that he expected contract talks to commence soon, and Polamalu made clear that he wants to get it done.

“I’d love to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler,” Polamalu said.

The 30-year-old Polamalu has played his entire eight-year career with the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -polamalu/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/07/steelers-look-to-extend-troy-polamalu/)

fordfixer
08-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Stelers put contract extensions on hold for now
Monday, August 08, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/1165952-66.stm

The Steelers want to "let the dust settle a little" and consider possible free-agent signings before they even think about doing contract extensions for Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu or inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Sunday, they started the process of looking at free agents when they brought former New York Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery to their Saint Vincent College training camp in Latrobe. Cotchery was scheduled to have a physical at night and will meet with them again this morning.

He has told the Steelers he plans to meet with other NFL teams, including the Baltimore Ravens.

With injuries to Hines Ward (thumb) and Emmanuel Sanders (foot), the Steelers have been short of experienced receivers at training camp. They are also looking for a slot receiver, and Cotchery (6 feet, 203 pounds) fits the bill. He has spent all eight NFL seasons with the Jets, where he had 358 catches for 4,514 yards and 18 touchdowns in his career.

Ward is expected to return to practice today when the players return after an off day. Sanders could return a week later on Aug. 15.

The Steelers also would like to bring in another veteran tight end to compete for the No. 2 spot behind Heath Miller and could consider former Cincinnati Bengals tight end Reggie Kelly, an unrestricted free agent.

Curiously, the Steelers wanted to sign former teammate Plaxico Burress and former New England Patriots tight end Daniel Graham when they brought them to training camp more than a week ago. But they were unable to sign either one because they didn't have enough room under the salary cap.

Polamalu and Timmons are unrestricted free agents after the 2011 season and both players will be re-signed at some point, though it is not clear when. But, after restructuring six contracts and signing franchise player LaMarr Woodley to a six-year deal, the Steelers want to concentrate more on preparing their roster for the upcoming season with possible free-agent signings.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/11 ... z1UPkR2hif (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11220/1165952-66.stm#ixzz1UPkR2hif)

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Extend Timmons Now, Worry About Troy Later

Posted on August 9, 2011 by ryan

Troy Polamalu, perhaps the best safety of this generation, is in the last year of a four-year, $30 million contract he signed before the 2007 season. Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers’ first-round pick in ’07, has a year left on a rookie deal that will pay him $15 million.

On Friday, LaMarr Woodley got a well-deserved raise — $61.5 million over six years, including $22 million in guarantees. With Woodley taken care of, the media immediately turned their attention to Troy as next in line for a new deal. As expected, Troy didn’t say much of anything other than to point out that he’d like to retire a Steeler.

I’d love that too. Except that I’m not convinced that Troy should be next on the front office’s to-do list. Instead, I’d focus on Timmons now, let Troy play the year on his current deal, see if his body can hold up over 16 games plus the playoffs (history suggests it won’t happen), and revisit things next offseason.

It sounds cold and calculating and, in general, it makes me uncomfortable to operate like a bidnessman when talking about one of the team’s most valuable players. I mean, this is Troy. We’ve seen what a Polamalu-less defense looks like and I’m still haunted by visions of David Garrard outrunning Tyrone Carter during that 2007 wild card game.

But here’s the thing, and we talked about it on the podcast: Timmons may not be as important as Polamalu to the defense right now, but he’s still one of the best middle linebackers in the NFL — and he will get better. What you see is what you get with Troy. And when he’s healthy, it’s amazing to watch. The problem, obviously, is that he struggles to stay on the field, missing large chunks of the 2009 season and operating at less than 100 percent during the 2010 postseason. This is what happens when you’re 30 and have played safety like a kamikaze for seven seasons.

It’s also why it makes more sense to lock Timmons up first, preferably before he goes bonkers in 2011 and his asking price goes through the roof.

And, yes, if that happens the Steelers could just franchise him but, as Gretz suggested on the podcast, I’d rather reserve that option for Troy. Because, really, how many more years can we expect Polamalu to perform at a high level given his style of play? Two, three, maybe four tops?

Something else to consider: when Troy has missed time LeBeau has given some of that responsibility to Timmons. Clearly, Juan can’t do everything Troy does, but that goes both ways.

Ideally, they’d both be in Pittsburgh for the next five years. And who knows, maybe that happens. It’s just that if it were up to me, I’d start with Timmons and revisit Troy after the season. It pains me to say it, but it’s probably the right thing to do.

For now, though, it sounds like the Steelers have put any contract-extension talk on the back burner while they sift through the free-agent leftovers. But sooner or later the front office will have to make a decision and here’s to hoping they start with Juan and go from there.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/e ... #more-5976 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/extend-timmons-worry-troy/#more-5976)

ikestops85
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm going to go against the grain on this one and say Wallace should be the #1 priority. I think Wallace moves into the top 5 best amongst receivers this year. He doesn't get the publicity that DeSean Jackson gets but I think he is a better receiver.

Next on my list would be Timmons. I think he is already a very good linebacker and he still has more potential. The guy is like a missile to the ball and then he hits like a freight train. He still has a tendency to overrun some plays but that will get better with experience. He will replace Troy as the next superstar on this team's defense.

I think the only reason I have Troy as 3rd on my list is I think he won't want to sign anywhere else other than Pittsburgh. He seems to have a fierce loyalty and he knows that DL has helped make him a star (and vice versa). We all know how important Troy is to this team. The stats show how much better we are when Troy plays opposed to when he has been hurt. I think Troy will sign a 5 year deal and then retire at the end of it. I just hope his health holds out.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
2 down and 1 to go... :tt2

Thoughts on Troy Polamalu's future

August, 23, 2011
By James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers secured two of their top young linebackers by extending the contracts of Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. They signed a pair of six-year contracts worth a total of $111.5 million.

That leaves Pittsburgh Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu as the last key player entering the final year of his contract. Will the Steelers also re-sign Polamalu this season?

Although nothing is set in stone, I don't expect Pittsburgh to work out a new deal with Polamalu this year. The updated cap numbers after the Timmons and Woodley extensions are not yet available. But there's likely not enough room for a third mega deal with Polamalu.

The contracts for Timmons and Woodley are in the $8 to $10 million per year range. Polamalu should command similar money. The Steelers can't pay everyone at the same time.

Time is also of the essence. The regular season starts in a little more than two weeks, and Pittsburgh usually doesn't negotiate contracts once the games begin. Therefore, Polamalu's situation probably won't be addressed this season if a deal isn't reached by Sept. 11.

The franchise tag is a strong possibility. I anticipate the Steelers will approach Polamalu's contract next year similarly to the way they handled Woodley's status. Don't be shocked if Polamalu gets the one-year franchise tender in 2012 to buy time to work out a long-term extension.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... lus-future (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/30902/thoughts-on-troy-polamalus-future)