PDA

View Full Version : question about the NFL

JTP53609
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I admit I did not pay much if any attention to the NFL Labor thing for the past 6 months, but I do have one question about it...

Does this mean there will ALWAYS be a salary cap in the NFL? This is great news if it is indeed the case, for the simple reason that there will not be a Yankee/Red Sox like NFL with teams like the Cowboys and Redskins doing what they want to kill the small market teams.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I admit I did not pay much if any attention to the NFL Labor thing for the past 6 months, but I do have one question about it...

Does this mean there will ALWAYS be a salary cap in the NFL? This is great news if it is indeed the case, for the simple reason that there will not be a Yankee/Red Sox like NFL with teams like the Cowboys and Redskins doing what they want to kill the small market teams.

At least for the next 10 years. That is how long this new CBA will run, and neither side has any opt out clauses. Labor peace is good!

flippy
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
There really isn't a salary cap per se given the way deals get structured. Some teams that have more cash can spend more cash in a given year.

To keep it completely fair and simple, they should have an annual cash limit that each team can spend.

None of these complex shenanigans where teams spread out signing bonuses over lives of contracts.